hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Royal Mail

Royal Mail

Is it just me, or has the service gotten worse over the past few months. Parcels, letters etc constantly late. Stuff going missing, postie signing for things himself then posting through letterbox. The dreaded 'We are sorry we've missed you' card through the door even though you have been sitting in all day waiting. It never used to be like this. I can understand they are probably alot busier than usual these days but they are quickly going the way of crap like Yodel etc

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Dom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it just me, or has the service gotten worse over the past few months. Parcels, letters etc constantly late. Stuff going missing, postie signing for things himself then posting through letterbox. The dreaded 'We are sorry we've missed you' card through the door even though you have been sitting in all day waiting. It never used to be like this. I can understand they are probably alot busier than usual these days but they are quickly going the way of crap like Yodel etc

Ive never quite understood this bit , Do you honestly think the Postie want's to carry a parcel for you in his bag all the way round his walk ?..Wouldn't it be easier for him to get you to answer rather than writing out a card that would take more time ?

No a dig at you but the amount of time folk say 'The postie never knocked ma door '

Most of the time it’s fine for me only gripe is we rarely get a Saturday delivery now.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Ive never quite understood this bit , Do you honestly think the Postie want's to carry a parcel for you in his bag all the way round his walk ?..Wouldn't it be easier for him to get you to answer rather than writing out a card that would take more time ?

No a dig at you but the amount of time folk say 'The postie never knocked ma door '
    Thought that as well, I've noticed though, that they seem to get stuff dropped off at a grey box up on the main road from where we stay, maybe they cant be bothered going and picking it up then lugging it around in the 1st place and simply leave it where it is?

The postie doesn't always shut my gate!

Twice last week, I was ragin!
    Space to let

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The postie doesn't always shut my gate!

Twice last week, I was ragin!
    I used to get that when I had a paper round, folk would go absolutely mental over it. Fair enough I should have done it and if I didn’t it would have been a genuine mistake but folk became apoplectic to the extent a guy chased me down the street for not doing it.

Compared to DPD the Royal Mail are near perfect.

I sent a consignment of 2 parcels from work on Tuesday for pre 12 next day delivery. The customer phoned me to say they had only received one part of the order, as happens very frequently DPD had split the consignment. Both items had been collected from us in Edinburgh, held at the collection depot, one was sent to a hub in Hinckley, it was then sent back to the delivery depot in Uddingston whilst the other followed the same path a day later, item 1 was delivered at 3 yesterday whilst item 2 is out for delivery today, that's 2 journeys of nearly 620 miles for 2 parcels that had to be delivered from my office in Edinburgh to East Kilbride, approx 42 miles.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    They are useless. I had three to be signed for letters/packages left on my door step a few years ago, all separate deliveries.

One contained the title deeds to my house! Honestly.

Two weeks ago I sent a £1.75 first class to be signed for that took two days to be delivered. When I complained Royal Mail said a letter was not considered

to be late until the third day, so no refund was due. Their rules.

The Royal part of their name is shameful. Privitisation only made it worse.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I’ve been very distrusting of them since we had the police at our door early one morning accusing us of the theft of a “package of significant value” that was meant to be delivered to one of our neighbours. Royal Mail said it had been signed for by someone in our old flat, suspiciously on the morning of the day we handed our keys back to the letting agent as we had moved out a week earlier. The police said it was one of our names on the signature (either my wife or mine) but wouldn’t say who. It was signed for in the morning and we could prove that we were both at work (I had taken a half day). We could tell once the police looked at our signatures and hand writing that they knew it wasn’t us. We reckon it was the postie.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I sent a consignment of 2 parcels from work on Tuesday for pre 12 next day delivery. The customer phoned me to say they had only received one part of the order, as happens very frequently DPD had split the consignment. Both items had been collected from us in Edinburgh, held at the collection depot, one was sent to a hub in Hinckley, it was then sent back to the delivery depot in Uddingston whilst the other followed the same path a day later, item 1 was delivered at 3 yesterday whilst item 2 is out for delivery today, that's 2 journeys of nearly 620 miles for 2 parcels that had to be delivered from my office in Edinburgh to East Kilbride, approx 42 miles.
    I ordered a guitar and it was delivered by DPD. It had “fragile” marked on the box and also “Fender” in big writing, meaning a large percentage of the people handling it probably knew it was a guitar.

It arrived on time but on opening? Yes, you guessed it, big dent on the side of the body. These are quite tough things so it must have taken quite a whack to dent it.

What the hell do they do to the packages? Play rugby with them or just kick **** out of them for the hell of it? A perfectly good instrument totally ruined by someone’s incompetence.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Ive just opened a letter for my neighbour by mistake as it was posted through my door with my mail.
    It's going to be awkward handing it in to him as it was a letter from the bank regarding a returned direct debit due to lack of funds.
    It also listed his balance.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Ive just opened a letter for my neighbour by mistake as it was posted through my door with my mail.
    It's going to be awkward handing it in to him as it was a letter from the bank regarding a returned direct debit due to lack of funds.
    It also listed his balance.
    I would take the coward's way out and seal it with tape and stick it in his letterbox when nobody's looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I ordered a guitar and it was delivered by DPD. It had “fragile” marked on the box and also “Fender” in big writing, meaning a large percentage of the people handling it probably knew it was a guitar.

It arrived on time but on opening? Yes, you guessed it, big dent on the side of the body. These are quite tough things so it must have taken quite a whack to dent it.

What the hell do they do to the packages? Play rugby with them or just kick **** out of them for the hell of it? A perfectly good instrument totally ruined by someone’s incompetence.
    I've had lots of packages from various delivery companies and most tend to be ok. Except Yodel who seem to go out of their way to delay or damage every parcel that they don't lose. They once put a parcel in my bin and a card through my door. Unfortunately, they were 3 days late with the delivery and I'd left on a 2 week holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

My work has sent medical devices to a hospital in Harrogate with 3 days notice to be delivered before 9am on a certain date. I was booked in to install it.
    Travel to Harrogate , overnight in a hotel and arrive for 9 on the arranged date.

Yip. No items delivered.
    Waited around until 2pm then headed off for my 4 hour drive home.
    Travelled back down the following day early to get there for 10 and it still hadn't arrived.
    Turned up at mid day.

Nowt worse than when it's a job 'n finish

I feel for the drivers though. Crap conditions and constant pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I would take the coward's way out and seal it with tape and stick it in his letterbox when nobody's looking.
    That's exactly what I will do

I've also used Hermes to send a large box weighing 15 kg's (the limit) .
    Huge box around 3 ft by 4 ft by 2 ft.

Only used Hermes as they would pick it up on a Saturday when DPD wouldn't and I wanted it out my living room.

I was horrified when this little old lady arrived to pick it up. She looked like she was in her 60's and nearly shat it when she seen the box.

I had to carry it out and squeeze it into her wee corsa.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Theres a thread on the PM board about how bad RM are.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Some of the damage done to items by these companies is ridiculous,

I ordered a bottle of the Hibs gin from Eden Mill. Box is clearly marked as fragile, bottle of gin is packed inside a solid inflatable packet and the bottle is going nowhere - to Eden Mills credit they probably couldn’t have packed it any better. Picked up the parcel at the depot as I wasn’t in when it was delivered, guy brings it over to the desk and says “it’s a bit bashed mate”. The box has a huge hole in it. I took the packaging out of the box through the hole because it was that big and the bottle was smashed into about 15-20 bits. Not even a small crack that would have been impressive to manage due to the extent of the padded packaging,, but absolutely obliterated. I can only thing someone at DPD has decided to have a look at what was in the box, seen it was Hibs related and destroyed it.

Told the guy I wasn’t happy and asked how to report the damaged item and his reply was “what do you want me to do, I’m already overworked and underpaid, you come and do this job”. Eden Mill chased it up for me and delivered a new one to their credit which thankfully came intact.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I’m just back from the Delivery Office at Telferton and there were two incidents whilst I was waiting in the queue. First this girl had an email from Royal Mail saying her parcel was ready for collection. The guy put in both her post code and tracking number but there was no record of it. He went through the back and appeared a minute later saying they had it but it hadn’t been processed yet. She asked why she had received an email saying it was ready for collection if it wasn’t. “Ah just because you get an email saying it’s ready doesn’t mean it has been processed by us”. She almost lost her cool at that, quite rightly. He said all she could do was wait until closing time and hope it had been processed by then or come back tomorrow. What crap customer service!

Then the guy two in front of me handed over his “sorry we missed you” card, the guy put in the details into the computer and again computer said no, they didn’t have it. The guy behind the counter said it should have been there as it had been tried to be delivered a day or two previously so the postie must have not handed it back in. Again, he would have to come back tomorrow.

I noticed the guy at the bus stop when I left... people go out of their way to get to these places (Telferton certainly isn’t handy for me) so the least you could expect is for the package to actually be there when you’ve been told it will be.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Theres a thread on the PM board about how bad RM are.
    Surely you're happy that the misery and complaints are reaching a wider audience now? On second thoughts maybe happy isn't the most appropriate description

Doesn't matter what they want and do not want to do it is their job and in their contract. if they ain't happy take it up with management. Why should I lose out because a postie can't be arsed/doesn't want to carry my parcel around?

Been waiting on a parcel that was due on Tuesday LAST WEEK. Nothing I can do as I have to give it time apparently despite paying for Next Day delivery. Shambles.

Quote Originally Posted by King Dom View Post
    Doesn't matter what they want and do not want to do it is their job and in their contract. if they ain't happy take it up with management. Why should I lose out because a postie can't be arsed/doesn't want to carry my parcel around?

Been waiting on a parcel that was due on Tuesday LAST WEEK. Nothing I can do as I have to give it time apparently despite paying for Next Day delivery. Shambles.
    If you have been waiting on a parcel since Tuesday I'd get in touch with seller..it's got bugger all to do with RM..postie can't deliver it if it's no been posted out and reached the sorting office yet

If you have been waiting on a parcel since Tuesday I'd get in touch with seller..it's got bugger all to do with RM..postie can't deliver it if it's no been posted out and reached the sorting office yet
    Where is it you work again HA? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Where is it you work again HA? :-)
    Tesco trolly boy :-)

It was sitting in some sorting office

So waiting on a DVD, delivery before 12 yesterday they said. Card just been posted through the door despite me sitting here patiently waiting. I swear they are just taking the piss now

@hibs.net private member
    How they still have the Royal title is a mystery to me