hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Totally 100% agree,the ridiculous was the comment by the poster saying it held no appeal yet he'd never done it.
    There are hundreds of things people won't try as they don't appeal to them. In what way is it ridiculous?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    There are hundreds of things people won't try as they don't appeal to them. In what way is it ridiculous?
    Hey we are big enough surely to respect the views of each other. Some like a pint or two before the game some dont. Its no reason to fall out.

We are Hibs!!

It's like going to the flicks. If you have too much to drink beforehand you have to leave the main feature and possibly miss something vital. The price of football these days you're daft doing that but suit yersel I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    None whatsoever. Never done it, never will. Prefer to experience the game sober.
    Ooooh hark at him. What's the view like from up there?

Getting a bit drunk pre game and "getting utterly wrecked and acting like a total fanny" are different things.

I'd recommend the former but not the latter. I've only ever (pre game) pushed the boat out too far once, for Brazil Vs Scotland at Wembley. No memory of the 2nd half and the bus home to Oxford, my place of residence at the time, was grim.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    It's like going to the flicks. If you have too much to drink beforehand you have to leave the main feature and possibly miss something vital. The price of football these days you're daft doing that but suit yersel I suppose.
    Shirley you could just stay in your seat and piss yersel if you were that bothered about missing vital elements of the fillum?

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Hmmm! So your internals & time needed for bodily functions exactly match all others & mine at the game? Thanks for that! I’ll stick with my recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Hey we are big enough surely to respect the views of each other. Some like a pint or two before the game some dont. Its no reason to fall out.

We are Hibs!!
    No falling out from me. Just thought it was strange that someone choosing not to was "ridiculous" because they'd never tried it.

First Team Breakthrough Fisherrow Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    Aye, the Soviet Union was so good at suppressing drunkenness.
    😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Ooooh hark at him. What's the view like from up there?

Getting a bit drunk pre game and "getting utterly wrecked and acting like a total fanny" are different things.

I'd recommend the former but not the latter. I've only ever (pre game) pushed the boat out too far once, for Brazil Vs Scotland at Wembley. No memory of the 2nd half and the bus home to Oxford, my place of residence at the time, was grim.
    I was so bevvied that day I ended up going to The Emirates to watch it.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    None whatsoever. Never done it, never will. Prefer to experience the game sober.
    I suppose you wouldn't want to turn up to your bible study group hungover, right enough.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    I suppose you wouldn't want to turn up to your bible study group hungover, right enough.
    Is this supposed to be some kind of insult?

Lets leave the religious stuff to the glasgow lot

It's not that long ago getting drunk instead of going to the match was an option for many. Hibs playing **** or a day on the bevvy with your mates? Even with a season ticket they weren't a big draw.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Is this supposed to be some kind of insult?

Lets leave the religious stuff to the glasgow lot
    Not really. It's only a light hearted comment and a 'bible study group' was the first example of a wee collection of people who would be horrified by any mildly drunken behaviour that came to mind.

Tried to be funny but it looks like I missed the target which is something I'm used to.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Always enjoy a few beers before most matches sometimes unintentionally things get a little messy, but often or not I just enjoy a few before the game and if we win especially in bigger games get pissed afterwords.
    Last edited by EH54; 12-03-2018 at 10:25 AM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Not really. It's only a light hearted comment and a 'bible study group' was the first example of a wee collection of people who would be horrified by any mildly drunken behaviour that came to mind.

Tried to be funny but it looks like I missed the target which is something I'm used to.
    Can I be the first to complain that this is BibleStudyGroupist?

Some of the finest pissheads I know cut their Milk-stout teeth on tales of licentious Lot and his lot.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    I'm still thankful that I never had a drink before that day in May, I recall everything about it as I was sober.
    Likewise. The state some people were in there’s no way they remembered the game.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 12-03-2018 at 10:41 AM.

The amount of folk I seen on the way to Hampden for that cup final who could barely stand, let alone enjoy 90 minutes of football.. I wonder how those many got on that day..?

What's the appeal?
    Yup.. a no-no for me also. 2 or 3 max before ko.. plenty afterwards of course

Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    Aye, the Soviet Union was so good at suppressing drunkenness.
    Yes, poor show by the commies. No wonder they fell to decadent capitalism.

I dinnae drink, so notice folk who have been and they're annoying as f***. The downside is you remember every stray pass and stupid offiside

I like a wee beer before the games but somehow only managed 4 between 4:45 and the game due to the madness of the rammed bars among other things.

There were folk legless in the stands though, saw one guy up back of east who couldn't make it back down the stairs and had to wait. Boy in front of me fell 3 rows forward pus first.

Folk next to me were mortal, mostly okay but one of their mates obvs didn't like their allocated seat and decided to join them making it all pretty tight. During the match they had a half bottle of rum and saved brought out a full bottle of wine for the 2nd half. Nae wonder flares can get in when a bottle of Echo Falls can slip past the stewards!

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    The amount of folk I seen on the way to Hampden for that cup final who could barely stand, let alone enjoy 90 minutes of football.. I wonder how those many got on that day..?
    Firstly, not having a go at you mate, why would you lie about it. But I see posts like this after practically every game we play at Hampden and as one of those who reluctantly drags his drink sodden carcass out of the pub 20 minutes before kick off along with the bus full of people I've gone to the game with at practically every Hampden visit I have yet to see the scenes of drunken fans staggering about all over the place I so often see described. Folk who have clearly 'had a few' and are being a bit loud yes .. but not to the extent that they are causing a bother.

I can honestly say I have never seen folk pissing in gutters for all to see, or the gardens on the way to the ground full of folk spewing up ( I might have seen one guy being sick once ) I have seen folk arguing in the ground particularly when we were 3 - 0 down to Falkirk, but I've never yet seen fans come to blows with each other. I've no doubt stuff like this does happen, but the way some folk go on you would think Hibs trips to Hampden were like the last days of Sodom and Gomorrah.

We left the pub about 25 minutes before kick off at the 2016 cup final and on the way to the ground and outside it I cant recall seeing anybody who was so clearly pissed I didn't think they would get in. Perhaps it only happens at the posh bits and that's the side of the ground you go to

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Firstly, not having a go at you mate, why would you lie about it. But I see posts like this after practically every game we play at Hampden and as one of those who reluctantly drags his drink sodden carcass out of the pub 20 minutes before kick off along with the bus full of people I've gone to the game with at practically every Hampden visit I have yet to see the scenes of drunken fans staggering about all over the place I so often see described. Folk who have clearly 'had a few' and are being a bit loud yes .. but not to the extent that they are causing a bother.

I can honestly say I have never seen folk pissing in gutters for all to see, or the gardens on the way to the ground full of folk spewing up ( I might have seen one guy being sick once ) I have seen folk arguing in the ground particularly when we were 3 - 0 down to Falkirk, but I've never yet seen fans come to blows with each other. I've no doubt stuff like this does happen, but the way some folk go on you would think Hibs trips to Hampden were like the last days of Sodom and Gomorrah.

We left the pub about 25 minutes before kick off at the 2016 cup final and on the way to the ground and outside it I cant recall seeing anybody who was so clearly pissed I didn't think they would get in. Perhaps it only happens at the posh bits and that's the side of the ground you go to
    Jeez. What a reply.. For not having a go at me.
    I have no reason to lie about what I see. I don't go to the 'posh' bit of the ground and don't judge others who do. If Scottish men or women want to drink so much that they cannot stand at 2pm- I don't care, I don't live in this country so it doesn't effect me in the slightest.

You've had a few drinks so you see things differently than if you are sober, like SH. I've been stone cold sober/had a few/pissed mortal and your perspective of a football crowd, it's behavior, levels of menace etc differ greatly depending on that level of intoxication/sobriety.

I seen folk literally falling out the side of a bus and unable to walk properly before the cup final. I reckon they were on more than drink mind you.

I like a good pish-up before such games myself so it's not me having a go at these people... just observing that you do indeed get them. Albeit not in their thousands.

looks like I missed the target which is something I'm used to.
    You're Steven naismith and I claim my £5.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Albanian Hibs View Post
    So? Maybe it was their first drink of the night? Maybe they needed a shot to settle their nerves? Is this all we have to moan about now? Bet you are glad you weren't standing beside us up at Pittodrie for the 4-1 game. I was hammered and so were lots of others and thank God I was, even though I still remember most of it unfortunately 🙄
    Must've been sitting near you at Aberdeen? Front four rows the majority of folk were absolutely blootered. Made a terrible performance a little more amusing as the sarcastic song book came out. FWIW agree with most on here that if you are being a pain in the erse and annoying everyone around you then there's a problem, however if not then there's nothing wrong with it.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I'm amazed at the amount of people who interpreted my personal opinion as a slander on anyone who chooses to drink before the game.

I was saying it didn't have any appeal to me personally - not everyone else - and that based on similar experiences in different settings I know that it won't, even if I hadn't tried it. I clarified this in an earlier reply.

I didn't in any way insinuate that that I was better than anyone else for not drinking or I'm generalising anyone who does into one category, but on reflection the comment may have come across that way so apologies if misinterpreted. The "holier than thou/boring" generalisations thrown back in response are unneeded and are exactly what I was accused of.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I was so bevvied that day I ended up going to The Emirates to watch it.
    Hahaha you prove my point beautifully 😂😂

I meant The Emirates of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Albanian Hibs View Post
    So? Maybe it was their first drink of the night? Maybe they needed a shot to settle their nerves? Is this all we have to moan about now? Bet you are glad you weren't standing beside us up at Pittodrie for the 4-1 game. I was hammered and so were lots of others and thank God I was, even though I still remember most of it unfortunately 🙄
    Must've been sitting near you at Aberdeen? Front four rows the majority of folk were absolutely blootered. Made a terrible performance a little more amusing as the sarcastic song book came out. FWIW agree with most on here that if you are being a pain in the erse and annoying everyone around you then there's a problem, however if not then there's nothing wrong with it.