hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Niall McGinn

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IIRC he is a very good dead ball player, he plays in the same position as Barker but has an end product.

https://youtu.be/-4-KUeVsmhM?t=12

https://youtu.be/R46QtT-GJH4?t=12

https://youtu.be/eZcRVpfS8WA?t=26

https://youtu.be/M0RcGCVreV8?t=230
    No he doesn't play the same position as Barker, he's a right winger, Hayes played on the left. Always.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Wouldn't mind taking Hayes off celtic too tbh. Another wasted talent bench warming

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    No he doesn't play the same position as Barker, he's a right winger, Hayes played on the left. Always.
    Most of those clips show him playing on the left. I think it’s only because McInnes likes to play with inverted wingers he sometimes played on the right.
    Boyle and Barker have occasionally swapped wings this season during games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Most of those clips show him playing on the left. I think it’s only because McInnes likes to play with inverted wingers he sometimes played on the right.
    Boyle and Barker have occasionally swapped wings this season during games.

He certainly played most of his games on the left for Celtic (not sure if he really played that many games for them) but always played on the right for Aberdeen, Hayes is very left-sided by the looks of it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    McGinn plays on the left. Started out central for them but ended up on the left

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Al this left / right stuff would be better on the Israel flag thread. It's nearly as interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Al this left / right stuff would be better on the Israel flag thread. It's nearly as interesting.
    😂

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Agreed. Especially when, as this line up shows, he clearly always plays on the right
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    Barker's only going to get better as the season goes on. Still young and learning the game and has shown pace and ability.

Much like Boyler his end product and awareness will develop and, neck on the line here, by the 'crunch' part of the season I'm going to predict well have seen more assists and some goals to boot.

Two assists so far I think? Hearts and Hamilton?
    Agree. Think people are being overly critical of him.

First Team Breakthrough BarneyHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    Two assists so far I think? Hearts and Hamilton?
    Three. Motherwell at home (2nd goal), hearts and Hamilton. https://www.transfermarkt.de/brandon...spieler/214927

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Agreed. Especially when, as this line up shows, he clearly always plays on the right
    Hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    Wouldn't mind taking Hayes off celtic too tbh. Another wasted talent bench warming
    Hardly a ‘wasted talent’. The guy is 30 years old and knew his concession would be limited but is getting one big payday before his career comes to an end. He wouldn’t have made a lot of money previously so who can blame him warming the bench for a bucketload of cash.

Last couple of seasons he has played on the right with Hayes on the left.

He does float about now and again and pop up in different areas but he certainly played mainly right wing for dons.

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Hardly a ‘wasted talent’. The guy is 30 years old and knew his concession would be limited but is getting one big payday before his career comes to an end. He wouldn’t have made a lot of money previously so who can blame him warming the bench for a bucketload of cash.
    Didn't realise how old he was, still another good player celtic have snapped up and benched though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries

Seems to do a lot of cutting in from the left for someone who plays on the right "every time"

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    We are more than a match for Celtic and they can stop them playing for us against them so if Rodgers is sensible he would loan us Hayes to shop window him for the summer if Lennon wished to drop an ever improving more disciplined Brandon Barker who is improving all aspect of his game each week and was a Scott Brown (aye he's done) 50 yard run back from skinning a Swedish international and setting up a tap in for Stokesy yesterday. I never thought I would say it either but if we have a long term choice of hendo or Barker I would go with - Henderson. I'm too weak though. Barker is the real deal. So is Liam's

Barker is an interesting one.

His assist against Hamilton was excellent and his run on Sunday to get us up the park and win the corner that led to the 1st goal was pivotal in the game.

100% agree he needs to be involved more and add more steel though.

My take on the Barker situation and comparison with Boyle.

When Boyle gets the ball I get excited especially if he has an open field to run into. That rarely happened on Sunday against a very good defender. Still he did have some good forward runs.

In the first half with Barker I was similarly excited, but it never happened for him. By the second half I was getting quite negative about him, then he does his great run and almost sets up the goal.

Having great potential is great. We just need to see more.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    I agree that Barker needs to add more end product and goals to his game - and get as frustrated as everyone else as he seems to have talent.

One thing that he does though, is have a reputation for speed (like Boyle) and what happens in many games is that teams try to double (or treble) up on him - this creates space for the midfield / strikers.

e.g. Murrays goal v Hearts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tocdHvN1gd0

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post

When Boyle gets the ball I get excited especially if he has an open field to run into. That rarely happened on Sunday against a very good defender. Still he did have some good forward runs.

In the first half with Barker I was similarly excited, but it never happened for him. By the second half I was getting quite negative about him, then he does his great run and almost sets up the goal.

Boyle has been playing 1st team football and a high level for a few year , and Barker hasn’t. Brandon has a lot of catching up to do

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Any idea if Barker would be fit for Wednesday since he went off on Sunday. Would be a really good option to have v Tavernier IMO.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Any idea if Barker would be fit for Wednesday since he went off on Sunday. Would be a really good option to have v Tavernier IMO.
    Tavernier will be having nightmares that Lennon plays two up top and gives Stokes a bit of free role. I doubt he will be overly concerned with Barker as he has pace too.

@hibs.net private member Green Badger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Tavernier will be having nightmares that Lennon plays two up top and gives Stokes a bit of free role. I doubt he will be overly concerned with Barker as he has pace too.
    I would think Lennon may be considering playing Stokes in a free role / on the left, he finished the game in that position on Sunday and was probably at his most effective during the game. Also, Stokes did quite well there against Tavernier back in May 2016...

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    We are more than a match for Celtic and they can stop them playing for us against them so if Rodgers is sensible he would loan us Hayes to shop window him for the summer if Lennon wished to drop an ever improving more disciplined Brandon Barker who is improving all aspect of his game each week and was a Scott Brown (aye he's done) 50 yard run back from skinning a Swedish international and setting up a tap in for Stokesy yesterday. I never thought I would say it either but if we have a long term choice of hendo or Barker I would go with - Henderson. I'm too weak though. Barker is the real deal. So is Liam's
    When Barker puts in a cross that finds a Hibs player he'll be the real deal. He has been poor and should be dropped imo.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post

IMO he doesn’t do nearly enough to justify being in the starting 11 every week.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    When Barker puts in a cross that finds a Hibs player he'll be the real deal. He has been poor and should be dropped imo.
    100%

Barker would give travernier a good run for his money but my worry is he's not strong enough defensively to go with him the other way. I think Lennon will go 352 anyway, Barker dropped.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Barker would give travernier a good run for his money but my worry is he's not strong enough defensively to go with him the other way. I think Lennon will go 352 anyway, Barker dropped.

4-3-3 with Stokes on the left.

Tavenier will be greeting before the match starts.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    I agree that Barker needs to add more end product and goals to his game - and get as frustrated as everyone else as he seems to have talent.

One thing that he does though, is have a reputation for speed (like Boyle) and what happens in many games is that teams try to double (or treble) up on him - this creates space for the midfield / strikers.

e.g. Murrays goal v Hearts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tocdHvN1gd0
    I would think Celtic’s full backs have not been so quiet in attack all season as they were on Sunday.