hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Director of Football

I see that there's a thread on Brokeback about the merits (or not) of having a Director of Football.

As you would expect, they see themselves as ground breakers in Scotland without once comparing Potter's peformance in the role with someone else doing the same job at a club of similar size on their doorstep.
    http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...role-1-4559591

I know that we're far from perfect, and may well hit a wee tough spell during the season (as per usual), but how much of our current, relative success do people think is down to George Craig and the systems that have been put in place? Or is it mostly down to the manager?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see that there's a thread on Brokeback about the merits (or not) of having a Director of Football.

As you would expect, they see themselves as ground breakers in Scotland without once comparing Potter's peformance in the role with someone else doing the same job at a club of similar size on their doorstep.

I know that we're far from perfect, and may well hit a wee tough spell during the season (as per usual), but how much of our current, relative success do people think is down to George Craig and the systems that have been put in place? Or is it mostly down to the manager?
    George Craig has had a massive hand in how this club is back on its feet. He’s doing a great job imo and long may it continue. Those clowns over the road are miles behind us in terms of structure.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    George Craig has had a massive hand in how this club is back on its feet. He’s doing a great job imo and long may it continue. Those clowns over the road are miles behind us in terms of structure.
    My thoughts exactly.

And they've got Levein currently filling two roles when he's not been up to either

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

And they've got Levein currently filling two roles when he's not been up to either

It's OK! He only takes 2 training sessions a week apparently , so it shouldn't impinge on his DOF role too much. How hard can it be to teach them HOOOOOF

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    It's OK! He only takes 2 training sessions a week apparently , so it shouldn't impinge on his DOF role too much. How hard can it be to teach them HOOOOOF
    What does he do all week then? We seen the fruits of his labour as DOF in the last January window and boy did we enjoy it.

Is he browsing the colquhoun catalogue of mail order players whilst waiting on the bookies to open?

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Was much better under Vlad when they had a director of football who no one knew who it was.

After much goading to finally reveal all Jim Duffy appeared briefly.

Happy days
    45 AND RISING

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Really good interview with George from a couple of months ago.

I think the last 3 years success is as much down to Leeann & George as it is to Stubbs & Lennon. They picked them and have worked with them, trying to give them the facilities and resources they want.

I like the bit about how he says he basically is a director of football, but basically without the bluster.

Look, Hearts like to make big deals about things - fan ownership, new stands, training facilities, the director of football model - in my opinion we're in a better position than them in all 4 areas - we just tend to go about these type of things without too much fuss.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Really good interview with George from a couple of months ago.

I think the last 3 years success is as much down to Leeann & George as it is to Stubbs & Lennon. They picked them and have worked with them, trying to give them the facilities and resources they want.

I like the bit about how he says he basically is a director of football, but basically without the bluster.

Look, Hearts like to make big deals about things - fan ownership, new stands, training facilities, the director of football model - in my opinion we're in a better position than them in all 4 areas - we just tend to go about these type of things without too much fuss.
    That comment from the yams on that link

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    That comment from the yams on that link
    Just seen that. Denise is a weirdo.

Everything good that has happened has been driven by Leann Dempster. She has recruited all the good people and is the biggest single factor in our recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hackett View Post
    😂 I still laugh at how excited they all got when they announced him, when everyone knew he was already managing them he just had a puppet in Cathro to take the flack. He’s a terrible manager and a terrible DOF. Some on here kept telling us he’d improve them, sorry he’s prob made the football even worse since “formally” taking over the club.

Hearts are in a real bad way and will finish bottom six imo.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker9 View Post
    [/B]Everything good that has happened has been driven by Leann Dempster. She has recruited all the good people and is the biggest single factor in our recovery.
    Rod Petrie still plays a big part also and don't forget he headhunted LD.

He gets an awful lot of flack so credit where's due.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post

I was one of his biggest critics but you are correct he’s done well to get these two in. Still not a fan but he deserves a lot of credit as well.

It’s great that Petrie has stepped back. The less he does at Hibs the better.
    Gives him more time to spend at the SFA which may explain the state they are in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    [/B]Everything good that has happened has been driven by Leann Dempster. She has recruited all the good people and is the biggest single factor in our recovery.
    Whilst I am fully supportive of the role Dempster is doing - Long may it continue - if anyone thinks that Petrie isn’t still very hands on in most things Hibs then they are
    Misjudging it..no big appointment has been made without him getting involved ...he remains very active...It is not simply Leeann at the helm

Left by mutual consent!
    Agreed - they're choking on our dust these days !. What's great though is, they're naturally too dumb to realise this fact and still insist on spraffing keech when interviewed - 'Our new stand can take us to the next level' - being a classic example of Yam-keech !. It just makes that moment, when the final whistle's blown and once again, a 'shock-result' has occurred () - they've been gubbed - all that much sweeter !

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Agreed - they're choking on our dust these days !. What's great though is, they're naturally too dumb to realise this fact and still insist on spraffing keech when interviewed - 'Our new stand can take us to the next level' - being a classic example of Yam-keech !. It just makes that moment, when the final whistle's blown and once again, a 'shock-result' has occurred () - they've been gubbed - all that much sweeter !
    When they talk about the new stand taking them to the next level i think they are just talking about the escalators!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Whilst I am fully supportive of the role Dempster is doing - Long may it continue - if anyone thinks that Petrie isn’t still very hands on in most things Hibs then they are
    Misjudging it..no big appointment has been made without him getting involved ...he remains very active...It is not simply Leeann at the helm
    Think this is the first time I have heard him getting credit and from what I have read he had a lot to do with her coming to hibs (I am maybe wrong) so if he had anyhing at all to do this then surely he does deserve a mention since there are so many people ready to slag him off. Just an observaton as I have been away as a supporter for many years until a couple of years back.
    Last edited by andybev1; 13-11-2017 at 05:39 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by andybev1 View Post
    Think this is the first time I have heard him getting credit and from what I have read he had a lot to do with her coming to hibs (I am maybe wrong) so if he had anyhing at all to do this then surely he does deserve a mention since there are so many people ready to slag him off. I am talking from someone who came back to the club after years of being away so that is the impression I have been given over the past couple of years.

She, and George Craig, were his appointments...

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Surely before there was such a title as director of football the responsibilities of that role were covered by the manager, and if so, now Craig Levein is head coach too would it not be right in saying they don't actually have a director of football & head coach, they just have a manager. He's not doing two jobs, he's doing one job that many managers up and down the country for surely?

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Surely before there was such a title as director of football the responsibilities of that role were covered by the manager, and if so, now Craig Levein is head coach too would it not be right in saying they don't actually have a director of football & head coach, they just have a manager. He's not doing two jobs, he's doing one job that many managers up and down the country for surely?
    Agreed. But this is the yams, so like the Cathro appointment it means they are doing something no one else has done or could do.

Sir Matt Busby

It’s a Director of Construction they need.

Some might think we don't even have a DOF that's how competently and quietly GC is going about the role.

That tells you how successful it is. We don't ever need to shout from the rooftops like our ADHD city neighbours when things are going well.

Hibernian Reborn is a must watch for anyone that's not seen it. Gives a great insight in to the role GC has played at the club since joining

Coaching Staff
    I was one of his biggest critics but you are correct he’s done well to get these two in. Still not a fan but he deserves a lot of credit as well.
    That Petrie pat on the back was kind of dragged out of you, did it hurt

And yet I am forever hearing pundits saying how well things over there are being run, off the park.

😂 I still laugh at how excited they all got when they announced him, when everyone knew he was already managing them he just had a puppet in Cathro to take the flack. He’s a terrible manager and a terrible DOF. Some on here kept telling us he’d improve them, sorry he’s prob made the football even worse since “formally” taking over the club.

Hearts are in a real bad way and will finish bottom six imo.
    A few "honest" (hmmm) Jambo's I know admit to being genuinely worried that they are fast becoming relegation material. And apparently the football is "murder".

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post

I noticed that there was a lot of credit give to him (even though he wasn't specifically named) in the article. Getting the infrastructure sorted would have been easy to miss in the post-Butcher days. Would have been easy to put a lot of money into a player signing at that time. That would have been the obvious way to get a lot of fans seeing the club in a more positive light, but that could have been another huge outlay on an O'Brien/Collins type signing. It was much more valuable, but a lot less 'mediaworthy' to put the cash into a DoF as well as brining in LD. These were excellent pieces of business.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by andybev1 View Post
    Think this is the first time I have heard him getting credit and from what I have read he had a lot to do with her coming to hibs (I am maybe wrong) so if he had anyhing at all to do this then surely he does deserve a mention since there are so many people ready to slag him off. Just an observaton as I have been away as a supporter for many years until a couple of years back.
    You must have skipped past the credit above that post 😂

Left by mutual consent!
    Me too. For me as a club we stood still far too long and the club took the support for granted. I'm happy with the measures in place now to hopefully never repeat that.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    She’s certainly been given the platform.
    As we look across the city I think it’s also fair to acknowledge the efforts around the infrastructure. Was Garry O’Hagan and Scott Lindsay responsible for that?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.