hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mayweather knew what he was doing in that Mcgregor clearly punched himself out. He was throwing a lot but did he ever hurt Mayweather? Apart from the big uppercut in the 1st I struggle to think of any heavy shots he landed.

It wasn't a farce at all but Mayweather often starts slow whilst he works opponents out. Once he realised McGregor wasn't going to hurt him and didn't have the guile to catch him clean he let him throw his shots in the early rounds before planting his feet and throwing his own from the mid 4th onwards.
    That is exactly how I saw it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    lol welcome to Floyd's world. It's still illegal.
    What's illegal? I was commenting on the stoppage.

Conor is clearly used to being given a bit more time to recover" but as I said, that's in MMA, and that's not the world he was fighting in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Malignaggi wants to fight McGregor on St Patricks Day next year.

Paulie is so far past his best and so much smaller that McGregor actually has a chance imo. I wonder how easy McGregor will find it to go back to UFC. He made $27M from 2 fights last year in MMA. Whilst every boxing fight isn't against a draw like Mayweather, if he could establish himself at welterweight or light middleweight (and he'd be parachuted in near the top end) he could make a more than that boxing.
    I'd give him a chance of beating Malignaggi, but is it that big a draw that it'll get arranged?

While plenty wanted to see this fight, there's no going to be a great clamour for a fight with PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    What's illegal? I was commenting on the stoppage.

Conor is clearly used to being given a bit more time to recover" but as I said, that's in MMA, and that's not the world he was fighting in.

You replied to my comment specifically about hitting the back of Floyd's head so assumed you were talking about that. Apologies if misunderstood.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    You replied to my comment specifically about hitting the back of Floyd's head so assumed you were talking about that. Apologies if misunderstood.
    Ah makes sense now - you quoted a different one of my posts. Got it now

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I'm like a Zombie this morning.
    I am well past staying up to that time now. Never again :-)

I thought the whole TV event was poor. There was no atmosphere at all for the whole event.

Thought CM done better that I thought he would but still looked a fish out of water.

I hope he goes back to the UFC to defend his belts and forgets about boxing.
    There is absolutely no way that there will be rematch in the octagon. If there was , it would last less than a minute.

Splitting headache this morning and not moving from the couch. Roll on the football.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I must be one of the few people who think McGregor comes out of it better than Floyd. It took Floyd almost 10 rounds to beat a guy who has never had a professional boxing contest previously and that was wearing 8oz gloves. Can you imagine Sugar Ray Leonard or Tommy Hearns taking 10 rounds to dispose of him? Yes he is more of a defensive fighter but he didn't fight particularly defensive last night.

Fair play to McGregor , he has a great chin and fought for almost 30 minutes against the best boxer of his generation. If the roles were to be reversed and it took place in MMA it's likely the fight wouldn't last a tenth as long as it did for last night.
    It went pretty much exactly as I thought it would. McGregor never threatened Mayweather but equally McGregor is a hard guy and was rarely threatened by Mayweather who doesn't have a great deal of punching power/KOs compared to his peers.

Mayweather would know it's not a race, it never has been for him, so going 10 rounds is unlikely to be a concern or a surprse for him.

McGregor would easily win at MMA, of course he would. Mayweather would lose against a decent chunk of boxers in an MMA ring.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    I thought it was an enjoyable fight.
    McGregor did way better than he had any right to. He is some competitor.
    Gas was with the benefit of hindsight always going to be an issue.
    Far from the farce that some were predicting.
    However the ref was really poor and McGregor should have had at least a point off.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Mayweather was everything that the few thinking fans of boxing on this forum predicted and a worthy winner.

I would like to see McGregor fight Alvarez but make the Mexican convert to MMA rules if he wants the paycheck.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Over 7000 empty seats confirmed......

'Figures provided by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), who sanctioned the bout, showed 13,094 tickets were sold. A further 137 were given away as complimentary tickets, taking the total attendance to 13,231. The T-Mobile Arena holds 20,500 for boxing events and on fight night, Mayweather Promotions stated the attendance was 14,623.'

Taken from the BBC