hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotty Allan

Just because he "let us down" it seems many on here would not take him back , if he returned and made the difference between staying in this league or promotion you would rather we stayed down ! I suppose you would not have Scot Brown back as he did the same or Griffiths as he never saw his contract out with Wolves and signed for us for nowt ! I would take the devil himself if it guaranteed that we got out of this crappy league.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Its not the fact that he lets us down that would prevent me having him back.

I just feel that he completely over performed in his season here and nothing before or after has suggested he is capable of reaching let alone sustaining those heights again.

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I just feel that he completely over performed in his season here and nothing before or after has suggested he is capable of reaching let alone sustaining those heights again.
    In the short spells he played for Dundee United (while being frozen out by Houston) he looked superb, as a young player. His talent has never been in question - hence a few of us were fairly excited when stubbs first signed him. Surely in the time you seen him at hibs, you can't think he was just on a lucky bit of form and isn't exceptionally talented?

If you're not in the "he's got a ***** attitude" or "he stabbed us in the back" camp; I'm surprised to read there's another reason to doubt what an effective player he'd be.

I don't for a second think he's coming back here, by the way. Only responding to the hypothetical conversation 👍🏻

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

I don't expect loyalty from footballers anymore. But SA simply hasn't done anything since he left us.

Maybe he just hates being at Celtc, but he did nowt at Rotherham either.

Meanwhile our midfield has improved. At the moment I don't think he'd deserve a starting place and I don't think he'd be a good addition to the squad. The 'spirit within the camp', as they say, looks good right now. Why risk it?

I just feel that he completely over performed in his season here
    and nothing before or after has suggested he is capable of reaching let alone sustaining those heights again.
    I played with lads who went pro, and watch a lot of laddies' football - again many going pro - no one, not one, was as good as Scott Allan.

He is an exceptional footballer.

However, his motivation/professionalism can be questioned - no doubt - but he did nit over perform .. what he gave is what he is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    I played with lads who went pro, and watch a lot of laddies' football - again many going pro - no one, not one, was as good as Scott Allan.

However, his motivation/professionalism can be questioned - no doubt - but he did nit over perform .. what he gave is what he is capable of.
    Agreed.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There are more factors than just raw ability in performing at a level you are capable of.

As you rightly state his motivation / professionalism should be questioned.

His ability, character and numerous other factors determine his ongoing capabilities or lack thereof

Probably poorly expressed on my part but what I was alluding to was that IMO he delivered far more here than he has consistently before or for that matter is ever likely to do again.

I wouldn't want us to take on that baggage or risk and for all that purple patch he had, we were never promoted or won the cup.

Agree wholeheartedly. Used to chuckle when he would hit a 40 yard pass right to sir David's feet only for some fan then berate him for not lumping it forward. His display in the 4-0 pumping of sevco was just sublime. If we had someone like Humphrey playing alongside Allan we would score loads more goals. Either he or his agent are to blame for the farce of his behaviour. He can't have many chances left.
    Last edited by mjhibby; 12-01-2017 at 06:09 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpaper55 View Post
    Just because he "let us down" it seems many on here would not take him back , if he returned and made the difference between staying in this league or promotion you would rather we stayed down ! I suppose you would not have Scot Brown back as he did the same or Griffiths as he never saw his contract out with Wolves and signed for us for nowt ! I would take the devil himself if it guaranteed that we got out of this crappy league.
    Scott Allan is a great talent and if there was a remote chance of him coming back to us we should take it. As stated by many on here he is a great player. How can we disgaurd anyone with his ability. Yes we have improved the past few weeks and had great results against Falkirk & Utd but it's not so long ago we went through a sticky spell. We MUST come up this year. We really can't afford to dismiss any player with the tallent he has. Too many people on thi site hold grudges against players who leave. By the way we as a club negotiated a great deal. I feel NL would be able to keep him in check. We should take any good players that will enable us to win this league, on a final note some folks are saying he may be going to the Yams, I hope he won't end up there, he can do damage to teams of that there is no doubt.

First Team Breakthrough
    Hope he rots in their reserves and ends up playing junior football

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    We have a settled squad and the guy is a Grade A knob. Don't think he'd be a good dressing room influence at a time when we need everyone pulling together in the same direction.

Quality player but no thanks.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wellbankhibby View Post
    Scott Allan is a great talent and if there was a remote chance of him coming back to us we should take it. As stated by many on here he is a great player. How can we disgaurd anyone with his ability. Yes we have improved the past few weeks and had great results against Falkirk & Utd but it's not so long ago we went through a sticky spell. We MUST come up this year. We really can't afford to dismiss any player with the tallent he has. Too many people on thi site hold grudges against players who leave. By the way we as a club negotiated a great deal. I feel NL would be able to keep him in check. We should take any good players that will enable us to win this league, on a final note some folks are saying he may be going to the Yams, I hope he won't end up there, he can do damage to teams of that there is no doubt.
    I'd agree with you that he's a very talented player, and that I'd rather he didn't go to Hearts. Would I take him back? Probably not: I don't hate him (or even particularly dislike him), and I hope he manages to make the success of his career that his talent deserves (though not at Hearts) (or the Rangers). However, at this stage, he's a bit of a rescue puppy, and you don't know if after the blood, sweat and tears in rehabilitating his career it will be worth it, or whether he'll just throw a hissy fit and demand to be allowed to leave for whoever is flashing their notes at him. I think what we need just now is a team rather than individuals, and he's probably a bit high maintenance for us.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    So you have a wife who on her day is a fantastic ride, not a bad cook and pretty good looking. After a year of this she then makes advances to your best mate, starts to be a moody bitch and basically upsets the rest of your family. You then get rid of her for a better model that also comes along with a huge wedge of cash and you have a great time. The old wife then has a string of disastrous relationships where she is well known to have a real attitude problem that no amount of counselling can help. She then may become available again. Do you take her back because she might still be great in bed but will probably still come with all of the problems from before? I certainly wouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    I'd agree with you that he's a very talented player, and that I'd rather he didn't go to Hearts. Would I take him back? Probably not: I don't hate him (or even particularly dislike him), and I hope he manages to make the success of his career that his talent deserves (though not at Hearts) (or the Rangers). However, at this stage, he's a bit of a rescue puppy, and you don't know if after the blood, sweat and tears in rehabilitating his career it will be worth it, or whether he'll just throw a hissy fit and demand to be allowed to leave for whoever is flashing their notes at him. I think what we need just now is a team rather than individuals, and he's probably a bit high maintenance for us.
    Agreed, fantastic talent but he's built himself a bit of a reputation as being a bit of a diva and someone who can go into a huff if things aren't his way. Amazing considering that before hibs and Stubbs stepped in his career wasn't really going anywhere, you'd think he'd just be grateful for getting another chance. That will put some managers off, nobody wants to bring in someone who could potentially cause trouble. Such a shame when this happens, when players don't reach their potential heights because of attitude.

I always use the example of Ross Caldwell when it comes to this. Obviously Caldwell was absolutely nowhere near the talent level of Scott Allan but nevertheless his career still spiralled down the toilet and I really believe that had a lot to do with his attitude. Good young talent who I believe could have and should have achieved a lot more but after his goal at tynecastle he seemed to think that was it, that he had made it and that he desereved a starting place in the team every week. He tweeted later on down the line a picture of him scoring with the caption "throwback to when I gave a ****". Pretty much says it all. I mean who knows maybe he simply just was never going to make it and would have still ended up on the scrapheap but for me I just sensed a huffy attitude that ultimately led to him not living up to the early expectation. Often the problem with some young players the moment they get themselves a bit of glory or positive headlines, starts going to their head and they suddenly think their the next Messi.
    Last edited by 21.05.2016; 12-01-2017 at 08:49 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    So you have a wife who on her day is a fantastic ride, not a bad cook and pretty good looking. After a year of this she then makes advances to your best mate, starts to be a moody bitch and basically upsets the rest of your family. You then get rid of her for a better model that also comes along with a huge wedge of cash and you have a great time. The old wife then has a string of disastrous relationships where she is well known to have a real attitude problem that no amount of counselling can help. She then may become available again. Do you take her back because she might still be great in bed but will probably still come with all of the problems from before? I certainly wouldn't
    We are not discussing wives heaven forbid, I get your meaning and accept other people's opinions. It is my opinion if he were to come back and knuckled down to hard graft and a good attitude we as a club would be daft to reject players with his ability. For instance I don't see many people having a go at Russel lattapy, as much as I loved him at Hibs he lost out on a cup final place for boozing it up that was a very important game for us as fans. We all make mistakes in life the big issue is will he learn from the mistakes. As for wives if she has gained experience with other partners and ultimately found out what she has been missing I would take her back, she would have to pay me though.

Stubbs is the only person to get a run of game out of him. He has a medical issue which means he has to be super careful in his diet to ensure he can see out multiple games. Hibs were strict on that. Without having that support group he has massively struggled.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Not only is it pitifully misogynistic in it's entirety, your analogy absolutely drops it's guts at the part in bold.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Stubbs is the only person to get a run of game out of him. He has a medical issue which means he has to be super careful in his diet to ensure he can see out multiple games. Hibs were strict on that. Without having that support group he has massively struggled.
    He's not the only one with that condition. It's his life he has to look after himself. The way he's behaving he will be playing part time fitbaw with Edinburgh City & flipping burgers across the road at Mcds. I wonder if Ronald Mcdonald will make sure he has taken his Meds .

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Most clubs will have a highly experienced medical teams that could help him manage this condition.

No. But I don't want to **** Scott Allan. I just think he's a very gifted footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    He's not the only one with that condition. It's his life he has to look after himself. The way he's behaving he will be playing part time fitbaw with Edinburgh City & flipping burgers across the road at Mcds. I wonder if Ronald Mcdonald will make sure he has taken his Meds .
    i dont disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Not only is it pitifully misogynistic in it's entirety, your analogy absolutely drops it's guts at the part in bold.
    Exactly. The bitterness of some people is incredible and borderline mental. Allan left for money and handed in a transfer request as did Scott Brown. I'm gathering his attitude was the major issue too? Both went to Celtic because they where ambitious. We got Allan because he was ambitious and always wanted to move on, he was amazing for us and wanted to move. End of.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Delivered View Post
    Exactly. The bitterness of some people is incredible and borderline mental. Allan left for money and handed in a transfer request as did Scott Brown. I'm gathering his attitude was the major issue too? Both went to Celtic because they where ambitious. We got Allan because he was ambitious and always wanted to move on, he was amazing for us and wanted to move. End of.

For the majority (including me) it's got nothing to do with bitterness.

Just don't fancy him as a player anymore. He's not the first and won't be the last highly talented player to fail because of questionable attitude.

Oh dear !

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Delivered View Post
    Nah, the Allan thing was a new level of ridiculous behaviour from a footballer who had done nothing with his career to that point.

He was only one year into a contract, it was the first year he had any sort of run of games, he knew the level of competition between us and Rangers at that point and the pay back for getting his career on track was to try and put our club at risk.

I'm always happy for players to be ambitious but it wouldn't have hurt to buckle down and do what he wanted the next year. It's not as if he had been held here a long time and it was time to go. He was basically just in the door and decided to go again.

No danger he should be back here at any stage, he had the chance to play here and make a real career for himself and he decided that wasn't for him.

It would seem that some on here would rather that we toiled to win this league rather than take back a player who might just guarantee we won it, utterly bizarre !

Quote Originally Posted by Wellbankhibby View Post
    Because he could cause disruption to a very tight dressing room?

He was brill for us, he ain't coming back to er, time to move on

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    It would seem that some on here would rather that we toiled to win this league rather than take back a player who might just guarantee we won it, utterly bizarre !
    Can see where you are coming from if we got the same player before he tried to engineer his preferred move out but a fair bit has happened since and I doubt he'd hit the ground running this window. Not performed at Rotherham by all accounts so I'd rather stick with the midfield we have who should be good enough to get out this league

" I spent some of the happiest days of my football playing life at Easter Road" - Sir Matt Busby

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Coaching Staff
    I think this is the most bizarre post on this thread.