hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Regular dalkeith stu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hibeestu07

Magic of the FA Cup

My erse, looks like there's only a couple of hundred folk at the Cardiff V Fulham game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by dalkeith stu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My erse, looks like there's only a couple of hundred folk at the Cardiff V Fulham game.
    Plymouth have travelled in numbers to Liverpool though. Would like to see them get a result.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    It is magic, the clubs have made thousands of fans disappear.

Serves them right. Same-division early round cup ties are rubbish anyway, then add in lower league, two mid-table clubs, AND make it a half 11 kick off. Mental.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    11:30 ko, you have to feel for both sets of fans

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Plymouth have travelled in numbers to Liverpool though. Would like to see them get a result.
    With that fud in charge?

Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    Serves them right. Same-division early round cup ties are rubbish anyway, then add in lower league, two mid-table clubs, AND make it a half 11 kick off. Mental.
    300 mile round trip as well.

I'm no fan of Liverpool but I hope they take about 10 of Plymouth and the ****bag who plays in goals for them has a nightmare.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Whatever happened to rip roaring cup ties? I watched Fulham v Cardiff and now have Liverpool v Plymouth on. Both are it have been played like a training game. I've no seen a tackle yet. Disappointing.

I too hope that the Scousers take a barrowload off Plymouth. Their manager looks familiar.

Nearly 9,000 Plymouth fans have made the journey and up to now they haven't had anything to get off their seats for. I reckon 6-0.

'Mon the Pilgrims!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Plymouth. 9 at the back and 1 in midfield. Garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    'Mon the Pilgrims!
    Can't see the Pilgrims Progress.

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Can't see the Pilgrims Progress.
    Very good :)

I watched the last 25 mins or so of the Cardiff game and tbh it was an embarrassment. The amount of times the Fulham defence or midfield were passing it amongst themselves with no pressing or aggression from a team getting beat at home in the cup was pathetic

Money has become so pivotal to the game down their it wouldn't surprise me if a team like Cardiff cared more winning their next league fixture than they do about progressing in the cup. Sad

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    I watched the last 25 mins or so of the Cardiff game and tbh it was an embarrassment. The amount of times the Fulham defence or midfield were passing it amongst themselves with no pressing or aggression from a team getting beat at home in the cup was pathetic

Money has become so pivotal to the game down their it wouldn't surprise me if a team like Cardiff cared more winning their next league fixture than they do about progressing in the cup. Sad
    How is that sad? I'd prefer we get promoted over winning a trophy this season as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    How is that sad? I'd prefer we get promoted over winning a trophy this season as well.
    Promotion won't give me the feeling 21/05/16 did and I said that after the semi final that I'd take another season in this league to win the cup.

Growing up playing, we wanted to win every cup and every league game. Simple as that. If we went out the cup to a league rival the way Cardiff did today this place would be in meltdown

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Promotion won't give me the feeling 21/05/16 did and I said that after the semi final that I'd take another season in this league to win the cup.

Growing up playing, we wanted to win every cup and every league game. Simple as that. If we went out the cup to a league rival the way Cardiff did today this place would be in meltdown
    Staying in the Championship will be worth millions to Cardiff, winning a couple of rounds in the FA Cup won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm no fan of Liverpool but I hope they take about 10 of Plymouth and the ****bag who plays in goals for them has a nightmare.
    I agree pb,piece of ***** in goals for them,something's can't be forgiven.

Three things have contributed to the FA cup losing its mystique:

1) The year Man Utd bumped it to play in the club world cup thing, the FA scored a huge own goal by not allowing them to play a weakened team. It had a lasting effect on the tournaments prestige.

2) The loss of the old Wembley. The stadium's place in the tournaments history was as important as the trophy itself and even though it did have to be replaced and the new stadium is awesome, for some reason its just not the same. For those of us who watch on the telly the rubbish camera angle doesn't help.

3) The Champions league ..... back in the day if you couldn't win the league the FA cup was a more than acceptable 2nd prize. Now all the big clubs care about is finishing in the top 4 of the EPL and the FA cup is very much an afterthought to them.

Bless em, the BBC have done their best to polish the turd that the FA cup has become, but the truth is that all you have to do is look at the attendances. For a lot of clubs back in the day a decent draw in the FA cup would guarantee you one of your biggest crowds of the season ... not any more and that says it all .... here's a selection:

Sunderland v Burnley ....................... 17,632
    Birmingham v Newcastle .................. 13,172
    Bolton v Crystal Palace ..................... 11,683
    Norwich v Southampton .................... 12,479
    QPR v Blackburn .............................. 7,482
    Hull v Swansea ................................ 6,608

Preston bucked the trend with an excellent 22,000 against Arsenal .... but I think the point is made.

Quote Originally Posted by berwickhibee View Post
    I agree pb,piece of ***** in goals for them,something's can't be forgiven.
    Agreed. ****ing ****bag. I know some folk will argue "oh but he's done his time" but I'd feel sick to the pit of my stomach if I was those two young boys parents seeing him live the luxury life style of a professional footballer.

2 young lives lost and a family ripped apart all because of that arrogant, thought-less moron.
    Last edited by 21.05.2016; 08-01-2017 at 02:41 PM.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I find it sad to see how teams treat the FA Cup.

A great tournament that the clubs treat as a pain in the ar**.

When Norwich equalised against Southampton the commentator said right away that this was the result neither side wanted. Why, so they could get back to mid table mediocrity in their respective Leagues?

As a laddie and even until relatively recently I loved the FA Cup but now it has lost it's appeal.

Apart from anything else it was a competition years ago where you could get decent accumulators up in the fixed odds.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

F***ing detest Plymouth for the backing they gave to that ****bag in goals, piece of s*** that he is.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post

F***ing detest Plymouth for the backing they gave to that ****bag in goals, piece of s*** that he is.
    Not only employing him and giving him back the luxury of being a footballer but made him club captain!

What a wonderful role model!

Magic of the FA is a sentimental myth perpetuated by the media. Vast majority of the Premiership clubs could not give a toss about that cup now and happy to play reserves, youngsters and crocks in most games. They're much more concerned about staying on the EPL, competing for Europe and the title which are all worth £££££ more than that cup.

In fact, Hibs Cup win in May 2016 was probably the last Great Moment in cup history, North or South of the Border

This game is proper Shan.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Liverpool making heavy weather of it. Every time Liverpool have a shot blocked they claim handball. A bit desperate is it not.....

@hibs.net private member Liam89's Avatar
    Steve McManaman is an absolute tosspot.

I hate the decline of the FA Cup.

It was/ should be one of the world's best sporting competitions.

The money money money obsession South of the border has pretty much turned me off it altogether.

The highest level of football there is just a disgusting big festival of greed.

There is still a little bit of soul that remains unsold, but you've got to drop at least 2 divisions to find it.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Bournemouth made 11 changes yesterday and were promptly emptied by Millwall

League survival even for a team that size more important than a trophy.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"