hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by atomheartfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suspect anti-English anger is down to the fact that, in this so-called island of nations, we get 90% English coverage of sport rather than British. And the English commentators can't figure out how to address an international (ie Scottish, Welsh, N. Irish and English) audience. So we get the crazy situation where Scotland are playing a vital qualifier yesterday, but we all have to watch bloody Engerland against Estonia. Jeez, would Austrians stand getting only German matches live on Austrian telly rather than Austrian matches?

British media just don't work. All Scottish broadcasters need to be totally independent from doon south, otherwise they're just stirring up all this hatred.
    What about the blatant disregard for England v Russia on Wednesday night? Sky show that while the BBC show Scotland's game.

Still a disgrace?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Reb View Post
    Definitely not, I have a massive amount of family in Scotland (I'm half Scottish) and there has never been an Scottish v English argument that has gone past being banter that I can remember. Just some silly people in this thread and it's good to see some folk giving them stick for it. I just hope next time I'm up for a game I don't end up sat next to one of them
    Definitely right there, squire.

I'm a nationalist through and through and I have no time whatsoever for this "Scotland hates England" stuff. I don't hate "the English" (all 60-odd million of them). I'm tired of it. It does about as much favours to the Scottish cause than halfwits like Kelvin McKenzie and his like do for the British cause.

Yes, I find the fatuous commentators on BBC pretty hard to take at times and all the "England Expects" stuff that comes about through it all.

I was doing my nut in today when a 5 minute interview with former Springbok player Robert Fleck (not formerly of Norwich!!) in which he was asked "Are South Africa worried about facing England?" to which he answered "Yes, a little bit. They can get drop goals from pretty much anywhere on the park but they have problems with getting tries" turned into the sports headline "The Springboks are worried about the upcoming final with England".

But if we're looking for someone to blame for not - by now in 2007 - getting Scottish matches on Scottish television, or a Scottish view or voice on what is going on in the world - then we probably don't have to look too far from home for the guilty party.
    Last edited by steakbake; 15-10-2007 at 12:23 PM.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    What about the blatant disregard for England v Russia on Wednesday night? Sky show that while the BBC show Scotland's game.

Still a disgrace?
    Exactly. BBC Scotland are given every opportunity to bid for Scotland's home games, as are STV. They either decide not to, or don't bid enough. The analagy with Austria and Germany is totally different.

I actually think the turnaround in England's team spirit and organisation has been one of the major stories of this Rugby WC. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they won it....

In fact I might support them, just so's I can have a good chuckle at all the paranoid quasi-racists on here greetin' just because an English commentator dares to show some bias...

Let's not blame all of the English just because of the actions of some biased morons who work in their media.

I'm talking not only about the rugby and football commentators but also their journalists (eg Kelvin McKenzie) and the controllers of the BBC Newsroom who think that England beating Estonia is a greater and more important feat than Scotland beating Ukraine.

We would not be happy to all be tarred with the same brush and there are probably overall more English who want to see Scotland do well than there are Scots who want to see England win matches.

Let us not forget also that we have English players who we are regularly giving great praise to on these threads. Do we really hate these players as well? I'm sure that Hibs also have many supporters who were born and raised in England but who now live in Edinburgh and have chosen to follow our team.

Yes, there are many times that I am incensed by what I read in the papers or hear on the television but I do not blame the whole English race for the actions of a few. Most English sports fans are just being patriotic toward their own nation in the same way that the Scots are patriotic toward our teams.

EasterRoad4Ever and the rest of the muppets, you are precisely the reason that I dislike the Tartan Army with a passion these days. Was your DVD player broken on Sunday night, so you had to watch the rugger instead of your nightly showing of Braveheart? Face it you muppet, if Scotland won anything like a World Cup, you and the media would be ramming it right down everyone's throats the same way the English do. And also do you think that I'm looking forward to the sight of Dougie Donnelly, Pat Nevin and the rest of the BBC Weegie mob all over my telly during next summer, dressed in garish tartan outfits and telling us Scotland are going to go all the way to the final? Along with the 30th anniversary re-release of "Ecky's Tartan Army"? Puhleeeze! I'm already planning an escape for those dates.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermac View Post
    Let's not blame all of the English just because of the actions of some biased morons who work in their media.

I'm talking not only about the rugby and football commentators but also their journalists (eg Kelvin McKenzie) and the controllers of the BBC Newsroom who think that England beating Estonia is a greater and more important feat than Scotland beating Ukraine.

We would not be happy to all be tarred with the same brush and there are probably overall more English who want to see Scotland do well than there are Scots who want to see England win matches.

Let us not forget also that we have English players who we are regularly giving great praise to on these threads. Do we really hate these players as well? I'm sure that Hibs also have many supporters who were born and raised in England but who now live in Edinburgh and have chosen to follow our team.

Yes, there are many times that I am incensed by what I read in the papers or hear on the television but I do not blame the whole English race for the actions of a few. Most English sports fans are just being patriotic toward their own nation in the same way that the Scots are patriotic toward our teams.
    Nice to hear some common sense in quite a few of the threads on here instead of the normal moronic quotes. And just for the record I don't hate all the Scottish just the blinkered anti English ones.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    I think this thread would have been alright if it had been (more correctly) titled:

Why we hate the English sports commentators

If you read the very first post, that's what it's all about. Think we have to be careful about starting with one or two over-excited old men with microphones doing our nut in and ending up with condemning an entire nation, much of which also contains English ethnic minorities who have additional allegiances. For example, do you include Bangladeshi and Pakistani English born people in your definition of "English"? It's silly.

If people are more specific, then it avoids all this nonsense. So, if your thread had been titled "Why we hate the English commentators", I would have agreed with you - they do my heid in, but that's where it starts and stops for me.

The world is a small place now, and we no longer live in a society, anywhere in the world, where a certain country is only populated by the people named after it. Scotland is no longer lived in by Scots. England is no longer populated by English people. In Scotland, and England, alongside those who are from Scottish and English ancestry or family, there are Polish, Czech, Indian, Chinese, Bangaldeshi, Australian, American, Welsh, Irish, Icelandic, French, German, Italian, Japanese and so on and so on and so on....

If it's the commentary that does your nut in, then just say so, and don't unreasonably hold 50 million people, from varying ethnic and social backgrounds, responsible for one old fud's irritating babble.

I mean, I have never heard anyone saying "I hate the Scots" because they watched an episode of River City, or saw a show with Craig Hill in it, but by God they'd have just as much right to say that if you applied your argument.

GG

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs FC No 1 View Post
    EasterRoad4Ever and the rest of the muppets, you are precisely the reason that I dislike the Tartan Army with a passion these days. .

Isn't that tarring all members of the TA with the same brush, exactly what the sensible posters have been arguing against? Trust me, not all are of that same nature that you despise.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Reb View Post
    It's quite boring to read all this drivel about hating all the English tbh, claiming us all to be arrogant and what not. It's nice to see that you think we're all the same.

First of all, mate, there's no such person as "we" in this context. I don't hate "the English" - I TRY not to hate anyone, although sometimes I find it difficult.

The problem is that the commentary on the World Egg-Cup Tournament has been rank bad all through. NOT just because most of the commentators seem unable to see beyond the possibility of England retaining the trophy, but because a lot of people (myself included) get tired sick of the sort of macho posturing most of these sad gits seem to think equates with manhood. (The Scots presenters on STV had to be seen to be believed, btw - three villages sadly bereft of their idiots for the duration.) But that's your rugger buggers for you.

So yup, most of this is drivel. We have a legitimate complaint that so often the mainline national news and sports programs again seem to equate "England" with "Britain" - that's irritating - and poor old Motty really ought to grow up and realise that it's more than 40 years since "the glorious summer of '66" - but then, if it had been Scotland who won it back then, WE'd be boring the pants off YOU about it.

Cheer up, mate - nil carborundum illegitimis!
    Last edited by --------; 15-10-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Ed De Gramo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Gramo
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Ok, before i either praise/kiss/slap/slag you..... gonny put an old man out his misery and translate that particular phrase for me?
    Every major fitba tournement they are at, there's fans who just love to clash with the police and get the old watercannon unleashed on them

Then the English press defend them saying it was the other team fans that instigated it

Those people who are moaning about the BBC's English bias should remember what it's Scottish News is like too, you'd be forgiven for thinking Glasgow was the only city in the country.

I dislike rugby union and the English rugby union team and supporters, but I dislike Scotland at rugby union far more because of what it represents in Edinburgh -Anglicisation, snobbery, schools preventing children playing and discouraging watching football, different treatment toward rugby union supporters from authorities, sports attitude toward rugby league among many other issues.

Re English football, Scottish football supporters wishing English clubs and national team to lose is intellectually justifiable because if they do well it just increases the dominant media coverage of the English game, increase the number of situations where Scottish football as important game that are not covered on TV when English gmaes are, plus English football doing badly probably indirectly means more money to the Socttish game plus indirect impact on Socttish self-confidence as well. Whether one likes certain individual English people or not completely irrelevant.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    I think this thread would have been alright if it had been (more correctly) titled:

Why we hate the English sports commentators

If you read the very first post, that's what it's all about. Think we have to be careful about starting with one or two over-excited old men with microphones doing our nut in and ending up with condemning an entire nation, much of which also contains English ethnic minorities who have additional allegiances. For example, do you include Bangladeshi and Pakistani English born people in your definition of "English"? It's silly.

If people are more specific, then it avoids all this nonsense. So, if your thread had been titled "Why we hate the English commentators", I would have agreed with you - they do my heid in, but that's where it starts and stops for me.

The world is a small place now, and we no longer live in a society, anywhere in the world, where a certain country is only populated by the people named after it. Scotland is no longer lived in by Scots. England is no longer populated by English people. In Scotland, and England, alongside those who are from Scottish and English ancestry or family, there are Polish, Czech, Indian, Chinese, Bangaldeshi, Australian, American, Welsh, Irish, Icelandic, French, German, Italian, Japanese and so on and so on and so on....

If it's the commentary that does your nut in, then just say so, and don't unreasonably hold 50 million people, from varying ethnic and social backgrounds, responsible for one old fud's irritating babble.

I mean, I have never heard anyone saying "I hate the Scots" because they watched an episode of River City, or saw a show with Craig Hill in it, but by God they'd have just as much right to say that if you applied your argument.

GG

I really could only feel pity for anyone who inadvertently switched on their TV and got "River City". Or "Eastenders", come to that. But that's because my taste doesn't extend to soap operas. Other people like them, and although I cn't understand the attraction, that fact doesn't hurt me unless they try to force me to watch along with them.

I'd be seriously concerned for anyone who conceived a burning hatred of all things Scottish after watching Craig Hill...

I can't even agree with you about "English sports commentators", though.

The ones commentating on the Rugby WC have been awful, IMO, but not just because of a bias towards England - they don't actually tell you what's going on. When I think back to the days of Bill McLaren and Bill Beaumont working together as one team, and Nigel Starmer-Smith and Gareth Edwards the other team commmentating on the old Five Nations and so on, it makes me want to weep.

Similarly, I have no problem with the Test Match Special boys, but there are times (several per test Match, actually) when I'd dearly love to shove a cricket bat, plus all six stumps AND bails, up Mark Nicholas's anal orifice. Whereas dear old opinionated Geoff Boycott's just a bit of a character.

And I KNOW I'm banging on about it, and I'm sorry if it's getting up people's noses (well, no, I'm not really - I quite like irritating people) but Scottish sports commentators generally are DIRE, and the football ones are particularly dire. And if we think the English media can be a horde of bombastic, jingoistic, flag-waving morons, wait till Scotland qualify for Euro 2008 and see what some of OUR lot are capable of......

(It's started already.)
    Last edited by --------; 16-10-2007 at 12:04 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sgian dubh80

Phew!

I'm a Scot and I live in England. I cannot agree more with the following comment:

MOST ENGLISH PEOPLE SUPPORT SCOTLAND!!!

In fact, most English people think that all Scots hate them, but have no idea why. I agree - I don't know why lots of Scots hate the current generation of English people. As if they were responsible for the clearances, etc etc.

What does piss them off, however, is when Scots 'hate' the English even though they support Scotland.

Scotland's problem with England is EXACTLY THAT - a Scottish problem. WE need to sort it out - not them....