hibs.net Messageboard

Does any Scot want England to win?

Without being stereotypically parrochial I'm backing the French purely because from the two teams on show tonight, they would grace the final as opposed to the stop/start spoilers and kickers in the iffy red and white strip!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    i want them to win

Quote Originally Posted by livi_hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i want them to win
    Any particular reason?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    Any particular reason?

aye, half my family are english and have always been very supportive of scotland in major competitions ad qualifyers, i just like to return the support to them,

i also realise the media are a bunch of fannys, but iv learned not to listen to them.

i get slagged all the time for it, but im no that bothered about that

Without being stereotypically parrochial I'm backing the French purely because from the two teams on show tonight, they would grace the final as opposed to the stop/start spoilers and kickers in the iffy red and white strip!
    Having watched 3 of the quarter finals in a Paris bar last weekend and seeing how many French came and supported Argentina last Sunday, damn straight I do.

Add to the fact that a few of the players there are from the rugby team I support sort of pushes me into it as well.

Fair play.
    The French look helluva nervous. A very mediocre English team may well be in the driving seat here. Although, given the nature of the opening try, how the commentator has the front to say the French are lucky is a tad silly!

aye, half my family are english and have always been very supportive of scotland in major competitions ad qualifyers, i just like to return the support to them,

i also realise the media are a bunch of fannys, but iv learned not to listen to them.

Had a very good Sunday night last weekend in the presence of a handful of England fans(and a fair few optimistic Irish ones) have to agree, certain aspects of the media coverage embarrass them whilst for the majority they are very knowledgeable and passionate about the game.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

i thought that would have came out ******

there you go then eh

OK, FAO the jingoistic Nationalist clowns wherever they are who are at this moment desperately trying to learn the Argentine or South African anthems ahead of next week and who probably have only become remotely interested in rugby because of the World Cup, Just stop for a moment, forget all about Mel Gibson and those blue-faced kilted warriors fighting that horrible English army, and think. This is 2007, in this day and age, Scotland and England are friends. Hundreds and thousands of Scots have English relatives and friends and also live and work there. I for one will be backing England to do it again next week, as not only are they our best mates, but it's also good knowing that we have the world champions in our annual Six Nations.

C'mon England!

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    i want england to fail in any sporting event they compete in.
    Mon the Hibs.

First Team Breakthrough m3llow1's Avatar

A large majority of my family are English, i live in England, both my kids are English, my wife is English, i was even christened C of E in Norfolk...
    Still doesn't stop me cheering against 'The Auld Enemy'
    At the end of the day, it's only a game and it would be boring without the cheery banter!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs FC No 1 View Post
    OK, FAO the jingoistic Nationalist clowns wherever they are who are at this moment desperately trying to learn the Argentine or South African anthems ahead of next week and who probably have only become remotely interested in rugby because of the World Cup, Just stop for a moment, forget all about Mel Gibson and those blue-faced kilted warriors fighting that horrible English army, and think. This is 2007, in this day and age, Scotland and England are friends. Hundreds and thousands of Scots have English relatives and friends and also live and work there. I for one will be backing England to do it again next week, as not only are they our best mates, but it's also good knowing that we have the world champions in our annual Six Nations.

C'mon England!
    Don't call these people nationalists. They represent about as much the SNP or Scottish view of things as Kelvin McKenzie represents the views of the English.

Cheering or booing England: both are out of some misguided kind of sense of duty. Personally, I would rather watch the final knowing that there are two countries playing in it who deserve to be there and the best one will win on the day.

I'm just sad that my country isn't in the final. I don't see any reason why I should pick one out of the two who are and I see no reason why deciding not to support either of them should be interpreted as "I hate South Africa" or "I hate England".

I'll be enjoying the game as a neutral, but as a sports fan. It's going to be an absolutely cracking match, though.

First Team Regular Falkirk Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksaltire View Post
    Don't call these people nationalists. They represent about as much the SNP or Scottish view of things as Kelvin McKenzie represents the views of the English.

Cheering or booing England: both are out of some misguided kind of sense of duty. Personally, I would rather watch the final knowing that there are two countries playing in it who deserve to be there and the best one will win on the day.

I'm just sad that my country isn't in the final. I don't see any reason why I should pick one out of the two who are and I see no reason why deciding not to support either of them should be interpreted as "I hate South Africa" or "I hate England".

I'll be enjoying the game as a neutral, but as a sports fan. It's going to be an absolutely cracking match, though.
    Excellent post.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by m3llow1 View Post
    A large majority of my family are English, i live in England, both my kids are English, my wife is English, i was even christened C of E in Norfolk...
    Still doesn't stop me cheering against 'The Auld Enemy'
    At the end of the day, it's only a game and it would be boring without the cheery banter!

i agree with that there is nothing wrong with a friendly banter, but i think a lot of people take their "hatred" for the english too far

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    i want england to fail in any sporting event they compete in.
    I've English roots .. means nowt .. Mon the Afrikaans!

I'm English but I want them to lose in the final, I couldn't stand hearing nothing but news about Rugby Yawnion all the time.

Left by mutual consent!
    I want them to win

After the event and no time for either team or its following but would be England on a marginally less disliked basis, given what the French rugby union did to rugby league in France during the second world war and their subsequent lack of atonement.

Although, if I was English I would probably be wanting England to lose.

DEFINITELY NO

Thought this was a thread on the South Africa v England final.
    Last edited by iwasthere1972; 20-10-2007 at 04:51 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Daniel1875
    I hope they get well and truely humped.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Daniel1875
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    DEFINITELY NO

Thought this was a thread on the South Africa v England final.
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpyHibby View Post
    I hope they get well and truely humped.
    So did I.

First Team Breakthrough maximushibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: maximushardonas
    Come On The Springboks Oh And Btw Russia Aint Gonny Drop Points Either So They Wont Be Going To Euro 2008 We As Scotland We'll Be There Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy

Russia 2 England 1

England 6 South Africa 15

Now if Hamilton could just skelp a wall or something tomorrow it would make a good week !

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sKipper View Post
    Russia 2 England 1

England 6 South Africa 15

Now if Hamilton could just skelp a wall or something tomorrow it would make a good week !

puncture on the 2nd last corner would do

oh do grow up children, oh btw didn't you hear, Alex Salmond was supporting England last night, amazing considering you vote for his party on the basis of some jingoistic hatred. I applaud the English on a brave effort last night and hopefully Lewis Hamilton delivers today.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

oh do grow up children, oh btw didn't you hear, Alex Salmond was supporting England last night, amazing considering you vote for his party on the basis of some jingoistic hatred. I applaud the English on a brave effort last night and hopefully Lewis Hamilton delivers today.
    pot call kettle black after your thread about scotland eh!

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    why would we need to grow up 'cos we want our closest sporting rivals to lose a sporting match.

england want germany to lose at football
    argies want brazil to lose at footbal
    germans want the dutch to lose at football
    new zealenders want australia to lose at rugby
    india want pakistan to lose at cricket

many more examples of sporting rivals wanting another nation to get humped regularly, do all these nations need to grow up as well or just us 'cos we dare challenge the arrogance of england?

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    So every Scot who likes to see England lose at sporting events also supports the SNP? Sweeping generisation there methinks.

If Lewis Hamilton won the F1 that wouldn't bother me, he ain't representing England, he'd be winning it for himself.

IMO in these cases, for Scotland/England, see Hibs/Hearts. They are sporting rivals and in sport, most people (not all) like to see their local rivals fail.

As a Hibs fan, do you like to see Hearts doing well? If Hibs are knocked out of a competition or cannot win it, would you prefer Hearts to win it instead? Do you support them, or have a wee giggle if they get humped?