hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baseball

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    The franchise reputation has dropped as well as a result though. We might be unstoppable this year (by the looks of the current roster anyway and opening performances) but this might affect us more adversely in coming years.

I'd love to be wrong for the record!

Just as a slight aside, i was in New Orleans for the Superbowl a few years back which we took quite comfortably. By far one of the best sporting events i have the pleasure of being at!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Back on subject can someone tell me what happens if the phillies and mets win and the padres lose. meaning that the phillies and mets are joint division leaders and all three will be wild card leaders.

I presume the phillies and mets will have a play-off, but will the losers have another play-off with the padres.

Gamer IDs

Im sure head to head results come first, and then, if they still can't be separated, there is a play off to decide who progresses to the playoffs.

First Team Breakthrough Luna Landing's Avatar

Go Phillies!

You dont need to worry about play-offs . The Mets have blown it big time . The Phillies have equalled the biggest ever come back in NL history.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Landing View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You dont need to worry about play-offs . The Mets have blown it big time . The Phillies have equalled the biggest ever come back in NL history.
    Better watch, the Rockies are coming 14 wins in last 15 games

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    I Usually only watch the world series but I too have watched more since I got NASN. What website is best to find out what is happening - an overview I mean - I don't even know who all is in the playoffs or how they are going.

It's the same with college football - I haven't a clue what all the groupings are - the big 10 or what have you - it would be good to see the highlights of what is happening.

@hibs.net private member Dropkick Murphy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crabit View Post
    I Usually only watch the world series but I too have watched more since I got NASN. What website is best to find out what is happening - an overview I mean - I don't even know who all is in the playoffs or how they are going.

It's the same with college football - I haven't a clue what all the groupings are - the big 10 or what have you - it would be good to see the highlights of what is happening.
    www.mlb.com
    www.espn.com
    www.si.com

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by crabit View Post

MLB.com is class! I've paid a subscription to it, so i'm fortunate enough to see all games (from Spring training match-ups, through to the World Series) and their highlights. Their news is second to none and you occassionally get to see highlights (or the top plays) from each game on demand.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Thanks - I'll check those out.

Red Sox won the opener against the Angels, get in! And K-Dice to pitch on Saturday.

Saw the Red Sox beat the Angels 8-4 back in August at Fenway, a brilliant game.

Quote Originally Posted by duncs View Post
    Red Sox won the opener against the Angels, get in! And K-Dice to pitch on Saturday.

Saw the Red Sox beat the Angels 8-4 back in August at Fenway, a brilliant game.
    Dice-K to pitch tonight my friend, 8.30. Hopefully he does as well as Beckett done on wed, what a game. The Yankees got cuffed last night things going smoothly so far.

Red Sox 2 up.

Yankees 2 down.

Just the way we like it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hibsboy90 View Post
    Red Sox 2 up.

Yankees 2 down.

Just the way we like it!!!
    Aye- nice to see the British Red Sox bandwagon still going. Enjoy it while it lasts though, cos normal servie will be resumed in the next year or 2

Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    Aye- nice to see the British Red Sox bandwagon still going. Enjoy it while it lasts though, cos normal servie will be resumed in the next year or 2
    Bandwagon!! Not half as bad as the yankees.

I've been to 7 baseball games on my travels, 4 of them Boston. I feel that i am allowed to support them as my 'team' for this sport.

Bandwagon!! Not half as bad as the yankees.

I've been to 7 baseball games on my travels, 4 of them Boston. I feel that i am allowed to support them as my 'team' for this sport.
    of course you are mate but they are definitely the 'bandwagon' team, particularly in the UK- if you watch channel 5 and their related baseball web-sites you'll see that.

The Red Sox popularity particularly before they won the World Series was based on common myth about their previous lack of success being down to bad luck (curse of the bambino) and of course 'the Evil Empire' the Yankees holding them down- all nonsense if you bother to actually look in to the history of the game.

The Sox still try to make out they are everything the Yankees are not despite having by far the second highest payroll in the league. The difference with the Yankees is that a lot their admittedly higher payroll is given to home produced talent like Jeter, Posada, Rivera and Pettite- who have been rewarded for loyal and excellent service.

Boston have a 143 million dollar payroll (about to get much bigger too) and also paid over 50 million dollars this season to sign Dice-K, yet their fans are still prattling on about the Yanks being a cheque book team and having some kind of advantage. They are like Celtic fans-self professed greatest in sport. I disagree!

Unfortunately though I reckon the WS is all but in the bag for the RS now.
    Last edited by Shrekko; 08-10-2007 at 06:44 PM.

And the Yankees are what exactly other than the CHAV`s choice of team?

Yes the Sox are spending more money now than they ever have but that was on the back of winning the WS,whereas the Yankees have been spending well more than anyone else for years under the evil empire,shame they didnt know you cant buy everything in life.

GO SOX!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    of course you are mate but they are definitely the 'bandwagon' team, particularly in the UK- if you watch channel 5 and their related baseball web-sites you'll see that.

The Red Sox popularity particularly before they won the World Series was based on common myth about their previous lack of success being down to bad luck (curse of the bambino) and of course 'the Evil Empire' the Yankees holding them down- all nonsense if you bother to actually look in to the history of the game.

The Sox still try to make out they are everything the Yankees are not despite having by far the second highest payroll in the league. The difference with the Yankees is that a lot their admittedly higher payroll is given to home produced talent like Jeter, Posada, Rivera and Pettite- who have been rewarded for loyal and excellent service.

Boston have a 147 million dollar payroll (about to get much bigger too) and also paid over 50 million dollars this season to sign Dice-K, yet their fans are still prattling on about the Yanks being a cheque book team and having some kind of advantage. They are like Celtic fans-self professed greatest in sport. I disagree!

Unfortunately though I reckon the WS is all but in the bag for the RS now.
    I may be interpreting what you are saying incorrectly so take that into consideration before I jump down your throat. :)

Red Sox nation is not a bandwagon anything. They've always had a good support for as long as I can remember. According to the numbers I am looking at the sox have a payroll of $143mm and the Yankees have $52mm over and above that. I know the Sox aren't hurting for cash but the Yankees are still a checkbook team. When the going gets tough, they go out and buy talent. I don't really see that as an advantage because we could do the same. Compare and contrast that to the Sox farm system. I know we buy players as well but Youkilis, Pedroia and Papelbon are all regular starters that came through the ranks. Here's the top 10 top players in the MLB for 2007 (ref: wikipedia):
    Code:
    1.  Alex Rodriguez     New York Yankees        $ 27,708,525
    2.  Jason Giambi       New York Yankees        $ 23,428,571
    3.  Derek Jeter        New York Yankees        $ 21,600,000
    4.  Manny Ramirez      Boston Red Sox          $ 17,016,381
    5.  Todd Helton        Colorado Rockies        $ 16,600,000
    6.  Andy Pettitte      New York Yankees        $ 16,000,000
    7.  Bartolo Colon      Los Angeles Angels      $ 16,000,000
    8.  Jason Schmidt      Los Angeles Dodgers     $ 15,703,946
    9.  Jim Thome          Chicago White Sox       $ 15,666,667
    10. Bobby Abreu        New York Yankees        $ 15,600,0
    Five Yankees and just one Sox player. If we extend that to the top 20 then there is one more Sox player (Drew) and no more Yankees. Top 30 has an additional Sox player and two more Yankees. There's not a doubt in my mind that the Yankees splash the case when they're hurting but it doesn't seem to have done them much good. They have bags of talent but not a great team.

It sucks because I think the Yankees and Sox are in the same position as Celtic / Rangers. I follow the Sox not because of fame, fortune or anything like that, I follow them because of where I live.
    Last edited by HibsMax; 07-10-2007 at 04:14 PM.

rossevenil-that type of post is so stereo-typical and not really worthy of a reponse.

Hibsmax- I'm well aware that the Red Sox have always been well supported. I'm referring in particular to UK fans. Josh Chetwynd who is a Bostonian and is the expert analyst on British telly has often talked about the 'band-wagon' and how he actually dislikes it.

I think you have misunderstood my post. Everyone knows the Yankee payroll is the biggest. I do however think that Boston have shown they are equally capable of flashing the cash on free agents. In my time supporting the Yankees there have been several times that the RS and NYY have wanted the same player but Boston have been able to offer more. Dice-K is a prime example

If you take Dice-K's posting fee there isnt a huge difference in what the teams have spent on players this season. Boston's payroll is about 40 percent bigger than the 3rd biggest (the Mets I think?) yet they still go on and on and on and on about the Yankees and their wages.

The Yankees are now relying on young pitching talent and have a number of their big earners about to disappear. Boston have a wage bill that will increase because a lot of their stars contracts are 'back loaded'. In a year or 2 there will be no difference, but will Boston ever be accused of trying to buy success or will they still try to give the impression they have a wage bill like Kansas City??

In some ways the Yanks deserve criticism, but a lot of it is just myth to disguise other teams shortcomings. What people forget is that the Yankees were heavily in favour of revenue sharing and contribute tens of millions that go to other clubs every year to maintain a decent level of competition. Can you imagine the Old Firm doing that for the rest of the SPL?

Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    I may be interpreting what you are saying incorrectly so take that into consideration before I jump down your throat. :)

Red Sox nation is not a bandwagon anything. They've always had a good support for as long as I can remember. According to the numbers I am looking at the sox have a payroll of $143mm and the Yankees have $52mm over and above that. I know the Sox aren't hurting for cash but the Yankees are still a checkbook team. When the going gets tough, they go out and buy talent. I don't really see that as an advantage because we could do the same. Compare and contrast that to the Sox farm system. I know we buy players as well but Youkilis, Pedroia and Papelbon are all regular starters that came through the ranks. Here's the top 10 top players in the MLB for 2007 (ref: wikipedia):
    Code:
    1.  Alex Rodriguez     New York Yankees        $ 27,708,525
    2.  Jason Giambi       New York Yankees        $ 23,428,571
    3.  Derek Jeter        New York Yankees        $ 21,600,000
    4.  Manny Ramirez      Boston Red Sox          $ 17,016,381
    5.  Todd Helton        Colorado Rockies        $ 16,600,000
    6.  Andy Pettitte      New York Yankees        $ 16,000,000
    7.  Bartolo Colon      Los Angeles Angels      $ 16,000,000
    8.  Jason Schmidt      Los Angeles Dodgers     $ 15,703,946
    9.  Jim Thome          Chicago White Sox       $ 15,666,667
    10. Bobby Abreu        New York Yankees        $ 15,600,0
    Five Yankees and just one Sox player. If we extend that to the top 20 then there is one more Sox player (Drew) and no more Yankees. Top 30 has an additional Sox player and two more Yankees. There's not a doubt in my mind that the Yankees splash the case when they're hurting but it doesn't seem to have done them much good. They have bags of talent but not a great team.

It sucks because I think the Yankees and Sox are in the same position as Celtic / Rangers. I follow the Sox not because of fame, fortune or anything like that, I follow them because of where I live.
    Max

I can't believe that Ortiz isn't in the top 20 in terms of payroll. Varitek also signed a big deal after the 2004 WS win. Is Drew on more than Papi and Tek - say it aint so.

Whilst i don't doubt that Boston have a huge budget, people accept that, i know that i'm supporting one of the equivalent OF in baseball. But i'm just pleased that i'm not supporting them because i don't want to be stereotypical.

Players like Johnny Damon left the Sox straight after the World Series win for the yankees. Yes Dice-K was wanted by both teams, but it was obvious that the sox wanted / needed him more so were willing to pay enough toget him. If the yankees had needed him desperately and he was the next best thing since sliced bread, then i have no doubts that the yankees would have snaffled him.

Boston don't always pay out the big bucks though, just look at what happened to Pedro. The sox wouldn't bow to his demands so had no qualms about letting him go to the Mets.

Out of interest, how much bigger is the NYY payroll in comparison to the Sox?

Through to the AL Championship series now, roll opn friday

Haven't followed the Baseball for years, but when I did... the Marlins were my fav team. When ever I go over to Florida for my hols, I would try to go down to Miami to catch a game or two.
    I'm quiet surprised to fellow UK based Hibbys intrested in Baseball!!.....it's even better fun once you have played it, and I don't mean on a computer or games machine

Whilst i don't doubt that Boston have a huge budget, people accept that, i know that i'm supporting one of the equivalent OF in baseball. But i'm just pleased that i'm not supporting them because i don't want to be stereotypical.

Players like Johnny Damon left the Sox straight after the World Series win for the yankees. Yes Dice-K was wanted by both teams, but it was obvious that the sox wanted / needed him more so were willing to pay enough toget him. If the yankees had needed him desperately and he was the next best thing since sliced bread, then i have no doubts that the yankees would have snaffled him.

Boston don't always pay out the big bucks though, just look at what happened to Pedro. The sox wouldn't bow to his demands so had no qualms about letting him go to the Mets.

Out of interest, how much bigger is the NYY payroll in comparison to the Sox?

Through to the AL Championship series now, roll opn friday
    At the start of the year the RS payroll was 143 million and the Yanks 189 million (of which 9 million is paid by Texas Rangers). Both have added to that, most notably NYY signing Roger Clemens. The gap should be a lot smaller next season unless something unexpected happens.

Anyone interested in what the individual players get should try the following link;

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...s/default.aspx

...and yes JD Drew earns more than Ortiz

At the start of the year the RS payroll was 143 million and the Yanks 189 million (of which 9 million is paid by Texas Rangers). Both have added to that, most notably NYY signing Roger Clemens. The gap should be a lot smaller next season unless something unexpected happens.

Anyone interested in what the individual players get should try the following link;

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...s/default.aspx

...and yes JD Drew earns more than Ortiz
    Some interesting stats there.

In 2003 the NYY spent $52M more than the BRS ($152M) (who were 6th highest wages)
    In 2004 the NYY spent $57M more than BRS ($184M)
    In 2005 the NYY spent $85M more than BRS ($208M)
    In 2006 the NYY spent $74M more than BRS ($194M)
    In 2007 the NYY spent $45M more than BRS ($189M)

The Marlins had a third of NYY budget ($150M) and still won the World Series.
    The season following the BRS winning of the world series, NYY spending rose by $24M, the BRS spending fell by $4M

Some interesting stats there.

In 2003 the NYY spent $52M more than the BRS ($152M) (who were 6th highest wages)
    In 2004 the NYY spent $57M more than BRS ($184M)
    In 2005 the NYY spent $85M more than BRS ($208M)
    In 2006 the NYY spent $74M more than BRS ($194M)
    In 2007 the NYY spent $45M more than BRS ($189M)

The Marlins had a third of NYY budget ($150M) and still won the World Series.
    The season following the BRS winning of the world series, NYY spending rose by $24M, the BRS spending fell by $4M
    It is interesting and the gap is certainly getting smaller. I'd be prepared to lay a large wager that the gap will get much smaller in the coming (2-3) years.

I think NYY and BRS will always be the big payers, but in reality it is still very feasible to put together a great (World Series winning) team for half of what they spend. I think the extra money the top 2 pay reflects the pressure of representing 2 huge institutions and the fact that are competing so intensely against each other. Theres absolutely no way for instance that Dice-K was worth a 50 million posting fee, but BRS were obviously making sure as much as anything that the Yankees didnt get him... and despite what you say in a previous post the Yankees desperately needed and wanted him- a bid of over 30 million is a very serious offer when they thought he would go for 20!!

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    The Tribe are screwing this up in Hibs-esque fashion. For some unfathomable reason they are going to use Paul Byrd (he of the 4.5+ era and .300 opposing batting average) instead of Sabathia (this year's Cy Young) on short rest.

I'm having nightmares of losing tonight's game 9-6 and Wednesday's 2-1. It's bloody ridiculous. And don't get me started on them leaving Nixon in right field last night after Clemens was taken out of the game.

(quietly hopes this acts as reverse psychology)

As for arguing over teams that spend the GDP of small African countries,

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    The Tribe are screwing this up in Hibs-esque fashion. For some unfathomable reason they are going to use Paul Byrd (he of the 4.5+ era and .300 opposing batting average) instead of Sabathia (this year's Cy Young) on short rest.

I'm having nightmares of losing tonight's game 9-6 and Wednesday's 2-1. It's bloody ridiculous. And don't get me started on them leaving Nixon in right field last night after Clemens was taken out of the game.

I agree with you here mate- I'm delighted the Tribe are going with Bryd tonight.

If the Yankees win, we get our best pitcher in game 5 and it's pretty much 50/50. Indians have the chance to use Sabathia AND Carmona to win 1 game out of 2 and they're not using it!-they should be playing it like there's no tomorrow.

In saying that how often can you predict the outcome of a game solely on the starting pitching line-up??

The other side of the coin is that if Bryd wins you start off with Sabathia and Carmona against the Red Sox. Big gamble though.

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post

So IF the yankees win it's Sabathia v Pettitte in game 5. What a pitching dual that will be.

Bear in mind though Chien-Ming Wang gave up 8 runs in game 2, but i'd always fancy the yankees in a slug fest. Just noticed aswell yankees have the Moose ready if required, looking good for the yankees.

Well done Cleveland!!

Yankees......

Should be an interesting ALCS Series coming up.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    That's why I'm not a baseball manager then.

Yankees suck. And someone better remind Torre to collect his pink slip.

Beckett v Sabathia in game 1 of the ALCS. Now there's a real pitching duel. I might even stay up for that one.

Prediction? Umm, the Red Sox are a better team than the Yankees, but Indians in 6. If we'd had this pitching in the 90s, the Yankees wouldn't have won a World Series since Reggie Jackson and Ron Guidry.

As much as I hate to say it,think Indians will take this one,unless the Sox bats stay hot!

Indians pitching looked pretty damn good against the Yankees aswell as consistently having base runners.

Just feel their starters at the moment look more on form than the Sox other than Beckett,and not sure how many more big games Schilling can throw.