hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball

Baseball

Any other baseball fans on here. If so now that the post season is almost upon us what are your thoughts. The AL is all sewn with only the yankees and the red sox left to battle it out for division champs and the runner up looks likly to take the wild card.

As for the NL nothing looks settled whatsoever with 2 games between all the divisions and the wildcard.

As a yankee fan, they seem to have the momentum behind them, however I don't think the pitching is good enough for the post season.

Personally I fancy the angels will win it, beating the mets in the world series. although a mets yankees world series would be awesome.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Stu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any other baseball fans on here. If so now that the post season is almost upon us what are your thoughts. The AL is all sewn with only the yankees and the red sox left to battle it out for division champs and the runner up looks likly to take the wild card.

As for the NL nothing looks settled whatsoever with 2 games between all the divisions and the wildcard.

As a yankee fan, they seem to have the momentum behind them, however I don't think the pitching is good enough for the post season.

Personally I fancy the angels will win it, beating the mets in the world series. although a mets yankees world series would be awesome.
    I hope not, being a mets fan!! The way it is going just now with the mets, they are doing a Hibs.......loads of potential and then fail to deliver.

ps the reason i support the mets is that i saw them a few years ago at the shea, what an evening out

I desperately need a refresher on Baseball, as I'm getting seriously addicted to it on NASN.

Tell me (if you can) why is there an AL and NL league, and what kind of rota do they use to work who plays who and where?

I'd love the Cubs to win it, if only because I stood outside Wrigley Field and thought, yep, this is my kind of club - perennial losers

If that goat curse is lifted soon, they might just do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Spamheid View Post
    I desperately need a refresher on Baseball, as I'm getting seriously addicted to it on NASN.

Tell me (if you can) why is there an AL and NL league, and what kind of rota do they use to work who plays who and where?

I'd love the Cubs to win it, if only because I stood outside Wrigley Field and thought, yep, this is my kind of club - perennial losers

The lamest curse ever, the curse of the billy goat. the poorest team to be top of their divison aswell, going on recent seasns then their certs to win, if they qualify.

Will never forget the fan trying to catch the foul ball in the playoffs against the marlins IIRC, the boy got absolutly lynched afterwards. A marlins fan who was a hotel owner even offered him a weeks stay in his hotel so he could get out of chicago.

Not sure of why there are 2 leagues, the only difference being the DH in the AL.

Yankees.. Mets.. Cubs.. what a bunch of glory hunters

Blue Jays it is for me. Now they are like watching the Hibs. Lots of potential but can't put a decent run together. Spent the summer over in Toronto and went to a lot of games. $11 for a ticket (top tier - 500 level but still a cracking view) . One of the best stadiums around. One of the best games was when they thrashed the Yankees 15-4. The abuse was towards the Yankees and their fans was top quality (easily amused eh!)

Let's go Blue Jays

PS Vernon Wells and Alex Rios are hot

Going to the dome in Toronto is the only time I've ever actually been to a baseball game and it was brilliant.

Mind you, this was back in 1994 or 95 when they won the thing (was it 2 in a row, I can't remember!)

Pretty sure they had guys like Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez playing for the jay's back then?

Not sure of why there are 2 leagues, the only difference being the DH in the AL.
    What's a DH?

I only just found out what ERA stood for last week. Still don't know what it means though

Stattastic

What's a DH?

I only just found out what ERA stood for last week. Still don't know what it means though

Stattastic
    designated hitter. meaning your pitcher doesn't have to bat and somelse can bat instead, although they don't play outfield.

Left by mutual consent! willie_dunn's Avatar
    mon the red sox!!!!
    thats's all i have to say :)

@hibs.net private member Pheona's Avatar

Me to. My husband is a Yankees fan, has been for years, now we have NASN (I got it for the NHL) I have found myself becoming rather addicted to it to.

Going to the dome in Toronto is the only time I've ever actually been to a baseball game and it was brilliant.

Mind you, this was back in 1994 or 95 when they won the thing (was it 2 in a row, I can't remember!)

Pretty sure they had guys like Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez playing for the jay's back then?
    The Jays won back to back World Series in 92 & 93. No Jetter or A Rod though.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Detroit Tigers fan for my sins - last year was by far a reward for years of watching with utter despair & it was even better as i made my first trip to Commerica, when we swept away the LA Angels!!! This year has been great, but we threw away our chance of making the post-season by losing to runaway division leaders, the Cleveland Indians. Bloody swept aside! Plus, with the Yankees winning against the O's, it means they stride away in the wildcard position as well

I fancy Cleveland to win the American League - they have a very strong offence, and when their bullpen is on form, they're formidable, particularly with Sabbathia at the mound! The Red Sox will definately be there challenging though, as will the Angels who have all had brilliant season but i can't see either of them stopping the Indians.

National League is a bit harder to call! The Diamondbacks have had a great season, as have the Mets and yet again, the Cubs are there challenging as usual. I've been very disappointed with the Braves this season (I also have a soft spot for them). I reckon, solely on the strength of their offence, the Mets will take the National. I for one, would quite like to see a NYM vs Cleveland World Series this year!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Huge Red Sox fan myself.

I'm really worried about our slender AL East lead, the yankees have caught up after our huge lead earlier in the season. We can't seem to get many saves.

This new pitcher Gagne who is meant to be great at closing, he keeps on blowing games.

9 games left, 1.5 ahead

@hibs.net private member Dropkick Murphy's Avatar
    I support the Washington Nationals, I used to live in Montreal and went to some Expos games so I followed the franchise. Nobody can accuse me of being a glory hunter. The infield is strong but thats about it. Looking forward to going to the new stadium when it opens.

I try to go to some games whenever i'm in America, so far I have been to home games of the nationals, Expos, Angels, Devil Rays and Padres
    Also seen Fort Myers Miracle.

This year i reckon Yankees or angels will win.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsboy90 View Post
    Huge Red Sox fan myself.

I'm really worried about our slender AL East lead, the yankees have caught up after our huge lead earlier in the season. We can't seem to get many saves.

This new pitcher Gagne who is meant to be great at closing, he keeps on blowing games.

9 games left, 1.5 ahead
    Gange was a save machine when with the dodgers a couple of seasons ago, he had a crazy save streak of 84 consecutive non blown saves. however reading moneyball we all know how over-rated closers are anyway.

just had a check on the standings, the NL is scary close and looks like it's going to the wire.

Boston have now secured at least a wildcard place!!

First Team Regular Falkirk Hibby's Avatar
    Don't get too excited, we (I mean Red Sox) always seem to blow leads in the AL East. Of course that doesn't stop us winning the whole thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Falkirk Hibby View Post
    Don't get too excited, we (I mean Red Sox) always seem to blow leads in the AL East. Of course that doesn't stop us winning the whole thing!

you forgot to add once in a blue moon.

First Team Breakthrough Freddy Krueger's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Killer.
    LOVE baseball.

It's my second favourite sport.

Mon the Minnesota Twins.

First Team Breakthrough mouvran's Avatar
    I am an angels fan and have been to quite a few games when i was over there.
    Think it is between the angels and the red sox to win it so whoever wins the Al i think will win the world series.

First Team Regular Lebron James's Avatar
    yeah i love my baseball on weds and and sunday night on c5 but at times i watch a few games on here http://www.*********/MLB.htm
    also does anyone have any computer games?
    i downloaded mvp baseball 2004 for the pc and it's cracking.

Red Sox for me.
    Watch it every night and managed to get to 1 game this year.

Im very worried that were gonna get pasted in the playoffs. we only have two reliable pitchers.
    I reckon the Angels will win the world series.

Cant wait for the celtics season to start.

you forgot to add once in a blue moon.
    As often as Halley's comet

It's the Yankees for me. Went to Yankee Stadium for my first game in 2003
    and it's virtually impossible not to be hooked on them after you've done that. It'll be a relief when October's over as all these nights up to 3am and beyond really catch up on you! I watch on NASN and mlb.tv.

As for the World Series- forget the National League this year. Yankees, Red Sox, Angels or the Indians have IMO a fairly equal chance of winning it. It might all depend who plays who in 1st round. Yankees have owned the Indians and the Red Sox recently but struggle against the Angels, whereas the Red Sox always beat the Angels.

Form wise I'd say the Red Sox are the poorest of the 4, and the Yankees the hottest. The post -season however is all about pitching and this is where LAA and the Indians are strong. My gut feeling is the Angels but I hope I'm wrong.

Massive Bluejays fan mysel

i have never sat up in the 500's for a baseball game ( only for smeltic/Roma)
    it was brilliant to watch football from that height... but im guessing you could barely see anything if it was baseball!

only been to a few games this year, as they have been struggling as usual, not going to reach enough points to continue unfortunately, but bright spot is with the young pitchers comming through at the moment.... i guess there is always next yr....

ColinP

First Team Breakthrough mouvran's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebron James View Post
    yeah i love my baseball on weds and and sunday night on c5 but at times i watch a few games on here http://www.*********/MLB.htm
    also does anyone have any computer games?
    i downloaded mvp baseball 2004 for the pc and it's cracking.
    downloaded the demo of out of the park baseball(sports interactive) but then realised no real players were used, so it is pretty awful.

Gamer IDs

Can't wait for them to release a decent baseball game for the Wii.

Postseason is beginning to shape up nicely. Still gutted that my beloved Tigers won't be there, but we had a good run last year.

I'm glad to see there are a lot of folk on here who don't support the "Big teams" like MOST of the folks in the UK!

I paid £40 at the start of the year and use MLB.tv where i can watch absolutely every game, from Spring training to the post season! Plus it saves all the games and lets me watch the highlights when i want

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
    I paid £40 at the start of the year and use MLB.tv where i can watch absolutely every game, from Spring training to the post season! Plus it saves all the games and lets me watch the highlights when i want
    It's a fantastic deal isnt it?
    I reckon I've probably watched at least 100 games this year, so you can hardly knock that for value.

The only problem about watching the saved games is that it's impossible to watch them without knowing the score.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    I never even noticed this forum before today. :)

I want the Red Sox to win and that was looking like a distinct possibility until the most recent melt down. At least it looks like the Division is coming to Fenway (barring another melt down). I'm not concerned about the gap over the Yankees, I'm concerned about how we've been playing to allow the Yankees back in it. Our bullpen isn't what it was earlier in the season. We shall see though. Now that (American) football season is well under way, I tend to spend more time following the Pats.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    I never even noticed this forum before today. :)

I want the Red Sox to win and that was looking like a distinct possibility until the most recent melt down. At least it looks like the Division is coming to Fenway (barring another melt down). I'm not concerned about the gap over the Yankees, I'm concerned about how we've been playing to allow the Yankees back in it. Our bullpen isn't what it was earlier in the season. We shall see though. Now that (American) football season is well under way, I tend to spend more time following the Pats.
    A very wise man you are too (save for the fact we just got shafted for cheating )

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
    A very wise man you are too (save for the fact we just got shafted for cheating )
    We got a talking too thats all! A 125,000quid fine to Belicheck and 250,000 quid fine for the club. Nothing, dont worry about that. The Pats are unstoppable right now, only the Colts could possibly stop us. But then they dont have Moss!!!!