hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Car dealers help.

So..., just bought my daughter her first car from Arnold Clark. Drove it away at 2 o'clock today and everything great. She drove about for a few hours to get used to it and then parked it up. Went out at 8 o'clock to go celebrate her getting her car and for wife's birthday and the thing is totally ****ed. Gear box has gone and cant even get it into first gear. Raging is an understatement but don't know our customers rights. Tried phoning them but closed and don't open till 11 tomorrow. ****ed if I'm claiming it on insurance but car won't move so how'd I get it back to Arnold Clark.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Won’t be insurance, you should have a warranty or I would reject the car and get your money back.

Would never buy from AC.

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Won’t be insurance, you should have a warranty or I would reject the car and get your money back.

Would never buy from AC.
    Car has 2 years warranty. Just gutted for my daughter to be honest.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Sounds like a clutch problem, maybe master cylinder or slave cylinder, check if there’s any fluid in the reservoir might be straight forward enough to sort. Yes it’s unacceptable on the first day after picking the car up should have been checked before being sold but sometimes these things happen.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post

Would never buy from AC.

swings and roundabouts, all my sisters family/spouses have all bought from arnold clark(new and used) for years, my last two were bought from arnold clark, but anyway to the OP...i'm sure you will be able to take the car back and get your cash back...they might even give you a great deal on another car so as to not lose your present/future custom, play hard ball

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Sounds like a clutch problem, maybe master cylinder or slave cylinder, check if there’s any fluid in the reservoir might be straight forward enough to sort. Yes it’s unacceptable on the first day after picking the car up should have been checked before being sold but sometimes these things happen.
    Might sound daft, but I've genuinely no idea how or what that is lol.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    So..., just bought my daughter her first car from Arnold Clark. Drove it away at 2 o'clock today and everything great. She drove about for a few hours to get used to it and then parked it up. Went out at 8 o'clock to go celebrate her getting her car and for wife's birthday and the thing is totally ****ed. Gear box has gone and cant even get it into first gear. Raging is an understatement but don't know our customers rights. Tried phoning them but closed and don't open till 11 tomorrow. ****ed if I'm claiming it on insurance but car won't move so how'd I get it back to Arnold Clark.
    Was it a "used approved" vehicle as in was it for example a Vauxhall bought from a Vauxhall dealership prepared to manufacturer standards, or was it "non franchise" as in prepared to Arnold Clark standards?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    A lassie I know bought a car from Arnold Clark and the door came off when she opened it

Might sound daft, but I've genuinely no idea how or what that is lol.
    Yeah not everyone is a diy mechanic, was only meaning that it could be a straight forward fix, but not to say it should never of happened in the first place.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    It's disappointing for sure, but I think you've dodged a bullet.

You can return it for a full refund within 30 days if it's faulty and that's exactly what I would do.

They might try to say that they'll repair it, but I would stick to your guns and get your cash back.

I've rejected 2 card in the last 3 years. One brand new Discovery Sport and more recently, a used Porsche Boxster. Make them aware that you know your consumer rights and you shouldn't have any trouble.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...-with-your-car
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 18-08-2019 at 06:11 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    PS Arnold Clark will need to arrange to collect it.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    PS Arnold Clark will need to arrange to collect it.
    Yeah they came this afternoon and took it to their garage. They've phoned and said their gonna fix it and it will ready for collection tomorrow night. I've said we should get our money back and get a different car but my daughter has fallen in love with this one and is wanting to keep it. Trying to explain stuff to her is proving difficult and having none of it. My wife isn't helping the situation as she's siding with my daughter and saying "let her keep the car". Seriously, could scream sometimes lol.

Yeah they came this afternoon and took it to their garage. They've phoned and said their gonna fix it and it will ready for collection tomorrow night. I've said we should get our money back and get a different car but my daughter has fallen in love with this one and is wanting to keep it. Trying to explain stuff to her is proving difficult and having none of it. My wife isn't helping the situation as she's siding with my daughter and saying "let her keep the car". Seriously, could scream sometimes lol.
    If she is determined to keep I’d be asking for some goodwill for the inconvenience, an extension on the warranty would be good if the car is going to be a lemon.

Explain it's just a car, a not very good one, and a better one is next.

As soon as I saw 'bought a car from Arnold Clark' I knew this was going to be a problem.

Bad company to buy from, a despicable one to work for.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I have bought my last 2 cars from arnold Clark and never had an issue. The wife bought her car from the Audi garage in stirling and had loads of hassles with them so I suppose they are pretty much all the same

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    I have bought my last 2 cars from arnold Clark and never had an issue. The wife bought her car from the Audi garage in stirling and had loads of hassles with them so I suppose they are pretty much all the same
    It may be because Arnold Clark is a huge company but I’ve heard a lot more horror stories about them than anywhere else.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    It may be because Arnold Clark is a huge company but I’ve heard a lot more horror stories about them than anywhere else.
    I worked for two different groups in my time in the motor trade and TBH you'll likely hear horror stories about any of them. No matter how hard you try as a salesperson something will go wrong and it's always "bloody car salesman" rather than seeing it as bad luck. Even a manufacturers 120 point checklist won't be there to check every single thing in a car so things can still go wrong.

Having said that, I'd not buy a car from one of the companies who put their staff under stupid pressure with OTT targets. I've seen several grown men in tears from the pressure that they are put under, I've seen a man with a family tell his boss to shove his job up his arse without another job to go to and when someone is under that much pressure and stress they're not exactly performing at their best. 1 - in my mind they're more likely to miss something or take shortcuts to get the job done in time and 2 - it's a moral thing too - nobody should be put under so much pressure and stress that it makes them physically unwell.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    The only thing I didnt like with arnold Clark was how pushy the salesman was, he is obviously under pressure to get sales but I was close to walking out due to it, but so far never had any issues with my cars from the branch

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    The only thing I didnt like with arnold Clark was how pushy the salesman was, he is obviously under pressure to get sales but I was close to walking out due to it, but so far never had any issues with my cars from the branch

They are full of patter. Mine asked which company I worked for. I didn't like his patter so gave him a fictitious name.

He then brought out his book of business cards saying he sold a car to someone there before. A goat in a cheap suit.

The car is ok though.

@hibs.net private member
    Know someone who used to work for another of Sir Arnolds companies. She was the centre manager and didn't have a good word to say about the company. Refused a company car from them as she knew what she was getting. Must say though I had a few drinks over the years courtesy of her company credit card! In her words 'Sir Arnolds paying'.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Arnold Clarke are an absolutely brutal company if you have any problems post purchase. It’s all good in the showroom when you’re buying, but try going there after a fault occurs and they’ll find every reason they can to wriggle out of fixing it under the warranty. You couldn’t pay me to buy a car from them again.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Arnold Clarke are an absolutely brutal company if you have any problems post purchase. It’s all good in the showroom when you’re buying, but try going there after a fault occurs and they’ll find every reason they can to wriggle out of fixing it under the warranty. You couldn’t pay me to buy a car from them again.
    Thats a bit unfair. I have had problems fixed under warranty without any issues or complaints at the Seafield branch. Nothing major, but every time fixed without any issues.

I totally accept that some branches of Arnold Clark could be bad, but its not fair to tar them all with the same brush.

Quote Originally Posted by mvteng View Post
    Thats a bit unfair. I have had problems fixed under warranty without any issues or complaints at the Seafield branch. Nothing major, but every time fixed without any issues.

I totally accept that some branches of Arnold Clark could be bad, but its not fair to tar them all with the same brush.
    It was the seafield branch I went to.

United we stand here....

It was the seafield branch I went to.
    Wow. Had nothing but great service from them.

The guy in charge of sales is an irish guy called Garret. When we bought our first car off him, he was just starting as a salesman maybe 15 years ago, but every time we're in he remembers us and has time for a chat and catch up. Every issue we have had has been sorted out without any problems.

He's really passionate about AC, and he's always been really reasonable with us, so maybe worth asking for him if you have any issues

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    nothing but great service from Arnold Clark with my car...even OUT of warranty, AC is the largest independent car dealership in europe for a reason, quite silly to tarnish the reputation of a huge dealership because of a problem, EVERY single dealership has a bad/unfortunate one somewhere, evans halshaw(my daughter) peoples(me) but it's not stopped me looking around Peoples and halshaw the last few weeks(along with AC) for a newer used car. i also got a 3 year clark plan servicing/MOT for £300+ when i got my present car(and a great price for the car itself) excellent value. as another Arnie once said(schwarzenegger NOT the recently deceased Arnie) .....i'l be back.
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 21-08-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvteng View Post
    Wow. Had nothing but great service from them.

The guy in charge of sales is an irish guy called Garret. When we bought our first car off him, he was just starting as a salesman maybe 15 years ago, but every time we're in he remembers us and has time for a chat and catch up. Every issue we have had has been sorted out without any problems.

He's really passionate about AC, and he's always been really reasonable with us, so maybe worth asking for him if you have any issues
    I went in there to get a key cut as I needed another one. I waited a week before they phoned me to come and collect it. When I got there the guy came out with me to try the new key, it didn’t fit and he asked me if I’d had the ignition barrel changed. The vehicle was only five months old, it took a further 2 weeks to get the key. I’ve never been back, I started going to Evans Halshaw up at sighthill after that.

United we stand here....

I had a bad servicing experience with AC at Sighthill. I'm a diy mechanic been fixing cars and motorbikes for decades so when they told me my brakes on my 6 month old Audi were 90% worn and need replaced immediately I knew straight off they were at it. Called the service manager out infront of a busy waiting room and told him his staff had lied to me, he didn't offer any apology only that he would have to check into it and he trusted his employees. They asked if they could inspect the car again and agreed that the brakes were not 90% worn but never offered any other explanation or apology. For that reason alone I'll never go back to them.

I went in there to get a key cut as I needed another one. I waited a week before they phoned me to come and collect it. When I got there the guy came out with me to try the new key, it didn’t fit and he asked me if I’d had the ignition barrel changed. The vehicle was only five months old, it took a further 2 weeks to get the key. I’ve never been back, I started going to Evans Halshaw up at sighthill after that.
    I totally get that things wind us up, but to me, that wouldnt particularly bother me. They found a problem , and they fixed it.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    I've had a bad experience where I was blatantly lied to over the phone and to my face about paper driving licences. Their website says they are permitted but the cow in the salesroom argued that I was wrong.

Resulted in a refund for the van I hired and an apology from the manager. Arnold Shark. Avoid.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.