hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe a good idea to stop digging and just accept its poor patter to be stealing/sharing content from fellow fans operating a small scale initiative.
    It’s not really a small scale initiative though, is it?

I’m going to hazard a guess nobody would be up in arms about folk sharing articles from The Herald.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post

I’m going to hazard a guess nobody would be up in arms about folk sharing articles from The Herald.
    Mate it’s £1 for 6 months by good people giving loads of information about Hibs.

You can see why alot are saying to not share it. It’s 2 lads trying to earn a career by putting in a lot of work, people will always view it different to a big company like the sun or herald.

£1 for 6 months, for Hibs content you won't get anywhere else seems a fair deal imo. Much fairer than the amount Sky charge for ***** Scottish football coverage which is why people opt for IPTV.

FWIW. I think it's great stuff.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Mate it’s £1 for 6 months by good people giving loads of information about Hibs.

You can see why alot are saying to not share it. It’s 2 lads trying to earn a career by putting in a lot of work, people will always view it different to a big company like the sun or herald.
    It is a big company like The Herald.. in fact it’s the same big company as The Herald.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    It is a big company like The Herald.. in fact it’s the same big company as The Herald.
    I think the main point is the guys themselves have been on here and asked that is isn't shared for free. Least we could do is give them that.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Fairly sure Patrick is, don't think the other guy is though, think he's from the West. Doesn't mean he's not a Hibs fan I know, just don't think he is.

Still, good content regardless. Hibs fans can talk just as much ***** as the next person so it doesn't bother me if they don't support Hibs.
    I would have to say he definitely speaks like he is down after each bad result 😃

I think the main point is the guys themselves have been on here and asked that is isn't shared for free. Least we could do is give them that.
    Yes not a difficult ask to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    FWIW. I think it's great stuff.
    It definitely is.

Hibs observer similar to Hibs Live facebook page, they want to sell subscriptions, using Hibs content.

Hibs live especially infuriates me as they post things like "We .....

so. "We're in the money" - on the foley deal (most of us would cringe at that as we know the reality is somewhat different - well i would !

"We should be buying this guy" on most transfers. "we may find it tough to keep molida"..

they profess to be Hibs fans, when in fact they are part of the Reach Group.

We should all boycott any publication site that professes to be us when in fact they are not, especially when the Daily Ranger is part of the same group..

If i want the view of Hibs fans ill go to .net or a facebook page which is run by fans, Hibs Live is not..

I’ve never even heard of Hibs Live.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I’ve never even heard of Hibs Live.
    Likewise.

For anyone doubting the Hibs Observer’s “Hibs” credentials should just take a listen to any of the free You Tube broadcasts and they’ll quickly find the answer.

@hibs.net private member
    I get that. Again though, I’d be stunned if someone came along from the Herald, the Daily Record etc and asked folk to stop posting things if people would pay it any notice, especially when some of the same folk have done it previously themselves.

For some reason it “says a lot” about a poster if they post anything from the Hibs Observer (which is owned by a huge media company, not some independent wee operation) yet it doesn’t say anything if they post stuff from another media outlet, or likely even if it was from the same media company as Hibs Observer, or if they watch IPTV.

I personally appreciate Hibbyradges link. Will allow me to read lots of things on all types of topics I’d have no interest in paying for.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 23-04-2024 at 07:44 PM.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    I get that. Again though, I’d be stunned if someone came along from the Herald, the Daily Record etc and asked folk to stop posting things if people would pay it any notice, especially when some of the same folk have done it previously themselves.

For some reason it “says a lot” about a poster if they post anything from the Hibs Observer (which is owned by a huge media company, not some independent wee operation) yet it doesn’t say anything if they post stuff from another media outlet, likely even if it was from the same media company, or if they watch IPTV.

I personally appreciate Hibbyradges link. Will allow me to read lots of things on all types of topics I’d have no interest in paying for.
    But that's never happened, has it? What has happened as the Observer guys have been on here and asked folk not to share it for free. Don't think they're asking for much either. Could be wrong but aren't the Herald and Daily Record free?

I dunno about the 'says a lot' thing, wasn't me who said that.

Love the content from the Observer guys

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

You do know the same company provides similar publications for Celtic, Sevco and hertz?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Just took up the offer of £18 for the year, excellent value for money as the content is absolutely superb.
    Personally wanted to support this as would hate to see it stop. I don't pay anything to the Daily Record, don't value their content and if they stopped wouldn't bother me. That the company is the Herald, that they do something similar for Hearts, Celtic that's not here nor there as far as I'm concerned as only interested in Hibs. If these guys aren't supported the Herald continues, a better supported Hearts/Celtic/Rangers offering continues but be back to little snippets from the Daily Ranger along the lines of Ryan Porteous needs deported - which I'm not paying for.
    Anyway, I've a tendency to ramble on so just getting up for a coffee before work, tune in to Patrick & Liam and get up to speed on all things Hibs and Viessman boilers!

So just to clear this up, is Hibs Observer an independent body set up by Hibs fans, or is it part of the group that own The Herald? I would definitely consider subscribing if they were independent, but if they're just representing a large organisation I might think otherwise. I have no problem with them getting sponsorship though.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    So just to clear this up, is Hibs Observer an independent body set up by Hibs fans, or is it part of the group that own The Herald? I would definitely consider subscribing if they were independent, but if they're just representing a large organisation I might think otherwise. I have no problem with them getting sponsorship though.
    You already know the answer eh. They are owned by NewsQuest media. Who are the parent company of 1000s of local media titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    You already know the answer eh. They are owned by NewsQuest media. Who are the parent company of 1000s of local media titles.
    Well thanks for confirming that, I won't be subscribing. I watched the YouTube thing though, it was alright.

Hi folks,

Patrick here, just jumping on to hopefully clear up a few things as I'm aware there might be some of you who don't really know what the Hibs Observer is about, or what we do.

1. Our parent company is Newsquest, who publishes The Herald, Glasgow Times etc. We've never sought to hide this or pretended to be a wholly independent outlet and yes, there are similar sites for Celtic, Hearts, and Rangers. But, as the Hibs Observer editor, I have the final say over what we do and publish. It’s not simply a vehicle for The Herald's Hibs coverage. You may sometimes see our names or articles in print editions of The Herald, but we're two separate entities.

2. Our primary goal is to provide high-quality, well-researched, in-depth and engaging coverage of Hibs and be the first stop for Hibs fans. Why? Mainly because there was an obvious gap for that sort of coverage in the media. The Edinburgh Evening News is really the only other publication that covers the club to a similar level but our aim is to shine a light on everything Hibs, including the stuff that isn’t normally featured in the media - so more than just, “manager said this, player said that”.

3. I believe we're going to see more and more media outlets going down the subscription route in the future, if they haven't already done so. We have a subscription model that I hope works for the readers - affordable, good value, and giving you the ability to help shape our content by suggesting ideas for content you’d like to see. From the start we've been keen to view our subscribers as a ‘family’, rather than customers, which I think marks us out as a wee bit different from the rest.

I completely understand people's reluctance to pay for media content, particularly given how much of it has been available for free over the years. But when you look at the quality, or lack thereof, of a lot of the stuff that is still free and compare it to our content, I think the reasons for us asking readers to pay a small amount to access all our content become crystal clear. In short, you're paying for high-quality, well-researched, in-depth, dedicated, and engaging coverage that you can’t and won't get anywhere else.

The main reason we’ve asked in the past for people not to try to bypass the paywall is not because we think we’re a special case. It’s partly because we genuinely put in a lot of work to create high-quality articles and partly because our subscription packages are, I think, very reasonable. It’s a polite request more than anything, and we do appreciate that not everyone is in a position to pay for a subscription.

I know it sounds like a line but the more subscribers we have, the more we can do to keep improving our coverage - and that’s what we want to do. This isn’t about page views or clickbait, it’s about providing a quality offering for Hibs fans.

4. We were both new to the video scene when we started the Hibs Observer, and there’s a reason we’d both spent a considerable amount of time as print journalists rather than broadcast reporters in the past! But we are trying to improve and sharpen up our video skills!

Thanks for your support if you’re already a subscriber and if you’re not, I do hope you give us a chance. Happy to answer any questions folk may have!
    Last edited by HibsObserver; 24-04-2024 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HibsObserver View Post
    Hi folks,

Patrick here, just jumping on to hopefully clear up a few things as I'm aware there might be some of you who don't really know what the Hibs Observer is about, or what we do.

1. Our parent company is Newsquest, who publishes The Herald, Glasgow Times etc. We've never sought to hide this or pretended to be a wholly independent outlet and yes, there are similar sites for Celtic, Hearts, and Rangers. But, as the Hibs Observer editor, I have the final say over what we do and publish. It’s not simply a vehicle for The Herald's Hibs coverage. You may sometimes see our names or articles in print editions of The Herald, but we're two separate entities.

2. Our primary goal is to provide high-quality, well-researched, in-depth and engaging coverage of Hibs and be the first stop for Hibs fans. Why? Mainly because there was an obvious gap for that sort of coverage in the media. The Edinburgh Evening News is really the only other publication that covers the club to a similar level but our aim is to shine a light on everything Hibs, including the stuff that isn’t normally featured in the media - so more than just, “manager said this, player said that”.

3.*I believe we're going to see more and more media outlets going down the subscription route in the future, if they haven't already done so. We have a subscription model that I hope works for the readers - affordable, good value, and giving you the ability to help shape our content by suggesting ideas for content you’d like to see. From the start we've been keen to view our subscribers as a ‘family’, rather than customers, which I think marks us out as a wee bit different from the rest.

I completely understand people's reluctance to pay for media content, particularly given how much of it has been available for free over the years. But when you look at the quality, or lack thereof, of a lot of the stuff that is still free and compare it to our content, I think the reasons for us asking readers to pay a small amount to access all our content become crystal clear. In short, you're paying for high-quality, well-researched, in-depth, dedicated, and engaging coverage that you can’t and won't get anywhere else.*

The main reason we’ve asked in the past for people not to try to bypass the paywall is not because we think we’re a special case. It’s partly because we genuinely put in a lot of work to create high-quality articles and partly because our subscription packages are, I think, very reasonable. It’s a polite request more than anything, and we do appreciate that not everyone is in a position to pay for a subscription.

I know it sounds like a line but the more subscribers we have, the more we can do to keep improving our coverage - and that’s what we want to do. This isn’t about page views or clickbait, it’s about providing a quality offering for Hibs fans.

4. We were both new to the video scene when we started the Hibs Observer, and there’s a reason we’d both spent a considerable amount of time as print journalists rather than broadcast reporters in the past! But we are trying to improve and sharpen up our video skills!

Thanks for your support if you’re already a subscriber and if you’re not, I do hope you give us a chance. Happy to answer any questions folk may have!
    Good of you to come on and clarify. Keep up the great work lads, the content is superb and great value for money as far as I'm concerned - far more in depth analysis all things Hibs than anywhere else 👍

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi folks,

3.*I believe we're going to see more and more media outlets going down the subscription route in the future, if they haven't already done so. We have a subscription model that I hope works for the readers - affordable, good value, and giving you the ability to help shape our content by suggesting ideas for content you’d like to see. From the start we've been keen to view our subscribers as a ‘family’, rather than customers, which I think marks us out as a wee bit different from the rest.

I completely understand people's reluctance to pay for media content, particularly given how much of it has been available for free over the years. But when you look at the quality, or lack thereof, of a lot of the stuff that is still free and compare it to our content, I think the reasons for us asking readers to pay a small amount to access all our content become crystal clear. In short, you're paying for high-quality, well-researched, in-depth, dedicated, and engaging coverage that you can’t and won't get anywhere else.*

Thanks for the site Ive been really impressed with the content so far, great value for money too.

Testimonial Due
    I subscribed recently and it’s well worth the money. Best Hibs content available online.

Quote Originally Posted by McGruber View Post
    Good of you to come on and clarify. Keep up the great work lads, the content is superb and great value for money as far as I'm concerned - far more in depth analysis all things Hibs than anywhere else 👍
    Completely agree the content analysis interviews press conference etc are excellent and a complete breath of fresh air. Also completely imo shows up the poor level of coverage the game up here gets generally with one or two exceptions

Hi folks,

3. I believe we're going to see more and more media outlets going down the subscription route in the future, if they haven't already done so. We have a subscription model that I hope works for the readers - affordable, good value, and giving you the ability to help shape our content by suggesting ideas for content you’d like to see. From the start we've been keen to view our subscribers as a ‘family’, rather than customers, which I think marks us out as a wee bit different from the rest.

I completely understand people's reluctance to pay for media content, particularly given how much of it has been available for free over the years. But when you look at the quality, or lack thereof, of a lot of the stuff that is still free and compare it to our content, I think the reasons for us asking readers to pay a small amount to access all our content become crystal clear. In short, you're paying for high-quality, well-researched, in-depth, dedicated, and engaging coverage that you can’t and won't get anywhere else.

Thanks for the post Patrick, this has actually cleared up a lot of issues for me which previously I wasn't clear about, and on that basis I have now subscibed and look forward to reading Hibs Observer on a regular basis.

Thanks Patrick, I was an early subscriber, really appreciate the work you put in.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Hi folks,

Hi just wondering if the two presenters on the recent YouTube upload are actually Hibs supporters ?

Do not want to sound impertinent but found myself asking this question whilst watching recently- doesn’t really matter either way just curious

Keep up the good work
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 25-04-2024 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Hi just wondering if the two presenters on the recent YouTube upload are actually Hibs supporters ?

Do not want to sound impertinent but found myself asking this question whilst watching recently- doesn’t really matter either way just curious

Keep up the good work
    Patrick is 100% a Hibs supporter. I'm pretty sure he can trace his family links back to our earliest days and that one of his ancestors played for the club back in those days.

Don't know about his colleague Liam but did hear him on the Scottish Football podcast episode about Hibs. For a professional journalist whose job is writing about Hibs he didn't come across any more articulate or informed than any fan who phones in. And unlike fans who contribute their opinions, to me, he came across as sitting on the fence about a lot of the issues.

I don't know if that's because their business model wholly relies on club access and fair play to them if they want to monetize their Hibs support, but based on what I heard on the Scottish Football podcast I'll stick to supporter podcasts and forums for the time being.
    Last edited by Brizo; 25-04-2024 at 07:03 AM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    Patrick is 100% a Hibs supporter. I'm pretty sure he can trace his family links back to our earliest days and that one of his ancestors played for the club back in those days.

Don't know about his colleague Liam but did hear him on the Scottish Football podcast episode about Hibs. For a professional journalist whose job is writing about Hibs he didn't come across any more articulate or informed than any fan who phones in. And unlike fans who contribute their opinions, he came across to me as sitting on the fence about a lot of the issues.

I don't know if that's because their business model wholly relies on club access and fair play to them if they want to monetize their Hibs support, but based on what I heard on the podcast I'll stick to the fan forums and Hibs supporter podcasts for the time being.
    Liam Bryce was the one that got my spidey senses tingling

As I said no biggy