hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ‘The split’

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar

‘The split’

With the talk of reviews I wonder if our new partners will also look to question why there is a split 5 games from the end of the season? Without the split 5th place could be achievable for Hibs, with it the highest we can reach, even if we win all our remaining games, is 7th which will have financial implications. I appreciate that it is our own fault that we are in this position and our form suggests that we would struggle against better opposition, but overall I think it would be fairer if teams were able to continue to strive to reach a higher placing, rather than being restricted. I also appreciate that we would probably have to increase the number of teams in the Premier League, but would that be a bad thing?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    It's the same every time we finish bottom six. Folk moan about it.

Split is brilliant and creates some great games with a lot at stake. It's just pish if you have a bad season and finish bottom six like we too often have recently.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the talk of reviews I wonder if our new partners will also look to question why there is a split 5 games from the end of the season? Without the split 5th place could be achievable for Hibs, with it the highest we can reach, even if we win all our remaining games, is 7th which will have financial implications. I appreciate that it is our own fault that we are in this position and our form suggests that we would struggle against better opposition, but overall I think it would be fairer if teams were able to continue to strive to reach a higher placing, rather than being restricted. I also appreciate that we would probably have to increase the number of teams in the Premier League, but would that be a bad thing?

Talk on League reconstruction has gone very quiet.

Funnily enough, Budge promised she would continue to pursue this topic, as it was vital for the overall good of the game, but weirdly she lost interest as soon as Hearts got back in the top flight.

Anyone know why?

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    It's the same every time we finish bottom six. Folk moan about it.

Split is brilliant and creates some great games with a lot at stake. It's just pish if you have a bad season and finish bottom six like we too often have recently.
    The split is crap. It always has been. Always will be. The best leagues in the world don’t have them. I wonder why?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    The split is crap. It always has been. Always will be. The best leagues in the world don’t have them. I wonder why?
    Because they have much bigger leagues than ours. Unless we make the league bigger, which we never will, then the split is the better option. It's only **** if you finish bottom six.

We finish top six this year we’re all buzzing for another derby and games against Celtic and Rangers.

Agreed. Effectively stopping the season just five games from the end makes no sense. I've never understood the split.

Because they have much bigger leagues than ours. Unless we make the league bigger, which we never will, then the split is the better option. It's only **** if you finish bottom six.

We finish top six this year we’re all buzzing for another derby and games against Celtic and Rangers.
    I'm never 'buzzing' for games against the OF, especially in recent years. We lose the overwhelming majority of them. I'm just pleasantly surprised if we take something from them.

As for derbies, our record there's an embarrassment. You just want to not lose them.
    Last edited by He's here!; 20-04-2024 at 02:40 PM.

Gamer IDs

Just weird we never have a thread moaning about the split when we're in the top six.

Id would not be buzzing for any of those. Id be buzzing for a 18 or 20 team league with some better away games and more variety in fixtures. Playing teams 4 times a season is extremely boring.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Id would not be buzzing for any of those. Id be buzzing for a 18 or 20 team league with some better away games and more variety in fixtures. Playing teams 4 times a season is extremely boring.
    Same. Never going to happen though.

If you can't get up for games against the OF and Hearts though then what's the point. Maybe just me.

The split is the one thing Scottish football has got right imo. Always creates excitement.

Coaching Staff
    Because they are better more competitive and entertaining leagues perhaps.

One of the worst Hibs games I've ever watched was Hibs V Hamilton in the split under Calderwood. Think it was on ESPN. There were about 30 Hamilton fans there.

That said some of the best games I've seen were in the split. The Celtic, Killie and Rangers games under Lennon were arguably the 3 most entertaining games of that entire season.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    One of the worst Hibs games I've ever watched was Hibs V Hamilton in the split under Calderwood. Think it was on ESPN. There were about 30 Hamilton fans there.

That said some of the best games I've seen were in the split. The Celtic, Killie and Rangers games under Lennon were arguably the 3 most entertaining games of that entire season.

Twas at Hamilton. We lost 1-0. A truly horrific game. Terrible Hibs away support.

Think we lost to them at home just before the split. Dark days.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Just weird we never have a thread moaning about the split when we're in the top six.
    I’m not ‘moaning’ about it. I was just wondering how it would look to our investors, unfamiliar with Scottish football and its peculiarities. I don’t particularly like it and would say that, even if we were in the top six.
    I don’t think it is exciting for the top three teams. I think those chasing the title or even third place would prefer to play a mixture of teams rather than their closest rivals again. Personally, I would prefer an extended league, only playing each team twice and having a final position determined by playing scheduled games rather than an artificial end to the season.

Gamer IDs

I’m not ‘moaning’ about it. I was just wondering how it would look to our investors, unfamiliar with Scottish football and its peculiarities. I don’t particularly like it and would say that, even if we were in the top six.
    I don’t think it is exciting for the top three teams. I think those chasing the title or even third place would prefer to play a mixture of teams rather than their closest rivals again. Personally, I would prefer an extended league, only playing each team twice and having a final position determined by playing scheduled games rather than an artificial end to the season.
    Aw of course the top three would all prefer to play lower-league fodder. But that's exactly what makes it interesting. They have to play each other. It's the opposite of heavyweight boxing where they all duck fighting the big fights.

I absolutely agree with you about a bigger league though. I just can't see it happening. Definitely not until what, 2028 or so when the Sky league deal expires.

Aw of course the top three would all prefer to play lower-league fodder. But that's exactly what makes it interesting. They have to play each other. It's the opposite of heavyweight boxing where they all duck fighting the big fights.

I absolutely agree with you about a bigger league though. I just can't see it happening. Definitely not until what, 2028 or so when the Sky league deal expires.
    Its nothing to do with sky, though. That is just an excuse. Hibs, Hearts, Kilmarnock etc, do not want it either. It would mean less money. Our club want 2 visits from OF.

Selfish clubs have been putting themselves before the product for years.

Gamer IDs

Its nothing to do with sky, though. That is just an excuse. Hibs, Hearts, Kilmarnock etc, do not want it either. It would mean less money. Our club want 2 visits from OF.
    Call it an excuse but it's still accurate. There's not a chance in hell Sky would agree to it so it's not happening before that deal expires.

Do agree about the teams being selfish and are all for the stats quo

Call it an excuse but it's still accurate. There's not a chance in hell Sky would agree to it so it's not happening before that deal expires.

Do agree about the teams being selfish and are all for the stats quo
    Well, even if sky didn't exist the clubs wouldn't go for it, is what I mean.

Gamer IDs

Well, even if sky didn't exist the clubs wouldn't go for it, is what I mean.
    Aye fair point. Again, I totally agree.

Just out of curiosity, which other leagues do have a split?

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    And other teams could mount a challenge to the OF. No wonder it’s always been voted down.

We had our chance when Sevco were in the fourth tier.

J

The division we played in for most of the 23/24 season is now complete, after 33 games. There's no room for a 44 games each division. We were crap and finished in the lower half of that table. We now get to compete in a handicap division of 5 games each to see who is the best (or more importantly, the worst) out of that lot. It's a different competition from the first part of the season. It's that simple, and I've never heard anyone bleating about it when we have previously finished top 6.

The reality is with a bigger league, as we used to have, you end up with far more boring meaningless fixtures. The split isn’t ideal but it keeps things interesting for most teams right up until the end of the season.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which other leagues do have a split?
    just google it…a list comes up in first post

I’d be happy with a league the size we have with a dozen wealthy football clubs that all play quality football with decent supports

No gonna happen though

I’m not sure about the split - seems to cut down on meaningless games perhaps but it’s been a while so not sure how true that perception is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    The reality is with a bigger league, as we used to have, you end up with far more boring meaningless fixtures. The split isn’t ideal but it keeps things interesting for most teams right up until the end of the season.
    Those boring meaningless games gives more of an opportunity to play youngsters than currently IMO, speaking only for myself that’s something I generally look for more than other things.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post

That Hamilton game is memorable for me as my eldest son was was of
    the mascots that day. We found the programme just the other day. The late Liam Miller led him out that day.

First Team Regular OstKurve Hibs's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with split at all, we have 33 games to make sure we finish in the top half and competing for europe, we ballsed it.

Whilst I wouldn't argue that the mess we're in is of Hibs making, the split itself is a pile of nonsense.

All it has achieved this season is limit the chase for a European place (5th) to two teams, when it could have been fought by ourselves, Motherwell and Aberdeen too. The split has probably caused a collection of meaningless games as a result.

It's also unfair, as the teams involved have played more/less games of a certain fixture (home/away) than others.

I've always thought it was rubbish, irrespective of what half we were in.