hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ian Murray

Ian Murray

Can't be many above him should we find ourselves in the hunt for a new manager? Is this a popular opinion or who do we think instead? (I'll give you mcinnes no probs)

Also, let's talk jack Ross, not a fan of returners but surely the subsequent years have proven he was doing a fine job? Treated unfairly imo.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Helensburghhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't be many above him should we find ourselves in the hunt for a new manager? Is this a popular opinion or who do we think instead? (I'll give you mcinnes no probs)

Also, let's talk jack Ross, not a fan of returners but surely the subsequent years have proven he was doing a fine job? Treated unfairly imo.
    I think Murray has to be in the running. I've read comments on other threads about young managers needing to "prove themselves" and I think he's done well enough to merit a shot. Managed 4 different clubs, so not inexperienced. We could do a lot worse imo.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar

yeh jack Ross done a great job at dundee United NOT , is football was eye bleeding stuff so no thanks.Also ian Murray not ready to take over hibs not at this point.

Think in Scotland alone, McInnes, Robinson and Docherty would be ahead of him.

Murray is doing well but if not for the Hibs link I’m not sure many would think much of him in terms of being out next manager.

Think Raith have a pretty big budget for the league too.

Ross has done well at Dundee Utd since, a 7 nil and a 9 nil spanking and axed after 7 games. He should have been sacked by us in the dressing room after the cup final.

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    yeh jack Ross done a great job at dundee United NOT , is football was eye bleeding stuff so no thanks.Also ian Murray not ready to take over hibs not at this point.
    Your eyes were bleeding as we finished 3rd, reached cup finals, and won plenty games? Aye, okay.

Total myth Ross' football was hard to watch IMO. It wasn't Mowbray, but it wasn't eye bleeding whatsoever.

Don't especially want him back, but he deserves a lot more credit for what he managed here.

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    Ross has done well at Dundee Utd since, a 7 nil and a 9 nil spanking and axed after 7 games. He should have been sacked by us in the dressing room after the cup final.
    We should have sacked a manager after getting 3rd and a cup final? are you broken?

Just to clarify,, I mean what has happened at hibs in the subsequent years not what Ross has done.

If he hadn’t played for us, I don’t think he’d be mentioned.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Think in Scotland alone, McInnes, Robinson and Docherty would be ahead of him.

Murray is doing well but if not for the Hibs link I’m not sure many would think much of him in terms of being out next manager.

Think Raith have a pretty big budget for the league too.
    I’m far from a fan of appointing former players as it rarely seems to work out however I think even disregarding his Hibs days, Murray would be worth considering.

Raith have pushed Dundee United who who presumably have a much larger budget for the league right up until the end. They finally fell a little short but that shouldn’t overshadow that they still have second place nailed by a huge margin against teams like Partick, Dunfermline and ICT who will have similar budgets.

I’m looking for a much more exciting manager through the Foley link if we do make the change but I wouldn’t be completely disappointed with Murray.

I don’t know the championship budget breakdown but he’s got them 2nd on a budget which will be 2nd highest or lower and we will hopefully have a budget around that of joint 3rd highest in the SPFL next year so the money would be there to support him.

We no longe need a manger who will punch above our budget but rather just achieve what’s expected.

As for Jack Ross, I didn’t agree with his sacking and hindsight has proved me right IMO, however his return is not what we need at all.
    Last edited by Paul1642; 19-04-2024 at 08:44 PM.

I always find it interesting the discussion on managers like they're footballers who have lost their legs and can't do it anymore.

Jack Ross had a shocker at Dundee United after having a successful St Mirren spell, and what was probably from the outside looking in similar here. I think time has probably shown that not many folk would have been a success at United. Not sure I'd jump up and down for the guy to return like but still I don't think the guy has became a bad manager after one job.

To answers OP's question about Murray I think I wouldn't exactly chase him either but if he came through the door June 1st it would be hard not to get behind the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Your eyes were bleeding as we finished 3rd, reached cup finals, and won plenty games? Aye, okay.

Total myth Ross' football was hard to watch IMO. It wasn't Mowbray, but it wasn't eye bleeding whatsoever.

Don't especially want him back, but he deserves a lot more credit for what he managed here.
    Yeh I really enjoyed the st.johnstone games getting humped in the semi final league cup and losing Scottish cup final to them. Also hearts semi final as well. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    Yeh I really enjoyed the st.johnstone games getting humped in the semi final league cup and losing Scottish cup final to them. Also hearts semi final as well. 😉
    Sounds like those were the only matches you watched under Ross tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Sounds like those were the only matches you watched under Ross tbf.
    no I watched plenty games under Ross and it wasn’t pretty.

Not sure I get the argument of jumping from one current inexperienced manager to a lower league inexperienced manager.

I like Murray, I think he has done pretty well in the Managerial jobs he has had. I wouldn’t be too disappointed if he was given the job.

Well for what it’s worth I’ve just watched Raith beat Cally thistle totally against the run of play and Hibs “reject” ( unfairly) Kevin Djabrowski man of the match with outstanding saves
    Exactly the kind of performance that Hibs could do with on a regular basis.
    I’d have Iain Murray in a heartbeat

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    He spoke really well in his interview.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Not sure I get the argument of jumping from one current inexperienced manager to a lower league inexperienced manager.
    360 games as a manager isn’t inexperienced in fairness.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

He has won 42.5% of his 364 games as a manager. That’s pretty decent in a competitive league like the Championship.

He’s a lower league manager. Similar to an Ian McCall.

No shame in that but he’ll not be on Hibs radar.

We need someone proven at our level or higher.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Not for me

Interestingly though what happened to Morton? I sure I seen Dougie Imries name being banded about on these forums not too long ago and now they ain't exactly far above the relegation playoff place

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

Montgomery was less experienced and managed at a level which is arguably lower than the top of the Scottish Championship.

I do agree though that there should be others higher up the list than IM.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to bring former players back as manager. Just my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastHibby View Post
    Well for what it’s worth I’ve just watched Raith beat Cally thistle totally against the run of play and Hibs “reject” ( unfairly) Kevin Djabrowski man of the match with outstanding saves
    Exactly the kind of performance that Hibs could do with on a regular basis.
    I’d have Iain Murray in a heartbeat
    I don't want to see us outplayed by ICT and rely on the goalie having a blinder to get us the points, ideally.

If he'd gone there and played them off the park and won, that would be a better sign he's up to it.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

Like a Nick Montgomery 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I don't want to see us outplayed by ICT and rely on the goalie having a blinder to get us the points, ideally.

If he'd gone there and played them off the park and won, that would be a better sign he's up to it.
    You’ve missed my point entirely. Raith WON
    Hibs DONT WIn

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastHibby View Post
    You’ve missed my point entirely. Raith WON
    Hibs DONT WIn
    https://www.skysports.com/football/n...d-straight-win

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    https://www.skysports.com/football/n...d-straight-win

Going back 4 and a half months to find the last time we had a bit of form. You showed him

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by CallumHibs07 View Post
    Going back 4 and a half months to find the last time we had a bit of form. You showed him
    What a strange post

His point that Raith were the poorer team and found a way to win - which hibs don't

Hibs were third in the spl form table a few weeks ago - that's when we had form, not 4 1/2 months ago against Aberdeen