hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Kay-Yay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The way some folk act in here after the statement. Imagine what they’ll be like if we are successful and then have a bad run like The Rangers are on just now.

I can see how Celtic and The Rangers fans get so entitled about football.

Have we had a bad season? Yes. Are we planning to review that and take action? Yes.

Good, it’s not all milk and honey. We will have average and poor seasons in the future. We just hope that those types of seasons are not the norm.
    We hope those types of season are not the norm??? Those types of seasons have been hibs in a nut shell for as long as I can remember more often than not

I think fans are rightly pissed off because when the Gordon’s came in we thought maybe there’s a chance now that we can realise our potential and really kick on yet here we are.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock and the Yorkshire Pudding II is now on his way out sooner rather than later with McDermott close behind as Foley will want his own people in place going forward to spend all his cash.

Kensall will be safe exactly as he planned when he set in motion the last clever reorganisation that fully protected his position and hung the manager and DoF out to dry.
    People can't or won't acknowledge the difference between a CEO, a Director of Football and a Head Coach / Manager.

Monty is accountable for the success or failure of fhe tactics, fitness and performance of the squad.

As his boss, McDermott is accountable for the success or failure of the entire Football operation from recruitment of the coaching team, players and backroom staff.

As his boss, Kensell is responsible for the overall performance of the club. I.e. Finance, investment, infrastructure and of course the appointment of the Director of Football.

Why is this so complicated for posters to comprehend?

And what did the 2023 review achieve, apart from the recruitment of the Invisible Man?
    Last edited by RIP; 18-04-2024 at 09:16 AM.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Spartacus View Post
    So a review of the football structure, does Ben Kensell avoid being part of any review as he falls outside of the footballing structure? Does McDermott survive this?

I think the statement is pish, the cowards hide behind 'Hibernian FC Board of Directors' while they name one man, hanging him out on his own when then non-footballing side are worse than anything on the pitch. They also use Black Knight Football Club as a distraction, do Black Knight own us now? I've said it before, we are being controlled by a 25% stakeholder, pony up and then you can call the shots.

Ben Kensell. Take a flying **** to yourself, you are a disgrace. If you survive this season then there's no chance I'll be back.
    #
    Jeezo, take a pill and calm doon!

Ben gave you a slap or something cos thats some post!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy McKirdy View Post
    We were two points away from making the top 6, 20 seconds, games where we were wronged with decisions from inept officials, the margins have been fine this season and if any of those matches like the throw in at Ross County hadn’t been given we wouldn’t be talking of the failure we are now experiencing and we would be looking forward to trying to finish fifth or fourth, I do have some sympathy for the team in a season where officialdom has seriously let us as a club down.

Ah but NM substitutions, formation etc did not contribute to our losing points!

When the Foley investment was first announce this forum was split between it being the best thing since sliced bread and the last thing we want as we will lose our identity. I said I would wait and see what they do.

Not making the top six meant there had to be a review, and probably casualties.

What I find interesting is the review is being carried out by the Black Nights, they seem to be wielding a lot of influence for a minority shareholder, though they do have places on the board.

I fear that the Gordon family are not as committed to the Club as Ron was, a bit like Brooks Mileson at Gretna. Very quickly after he died the family withdrew their financial support.

Hibs were Ron's project and I think the family are looking for a way out, content to sit in the background until that can be achieved.

I'm not suggesting we'll go bust and I'm not suggesting the review is not desperately needed, and I'm still in the "wait and see camp" before deciding if the BK investment is a good or bad thing.

I think we are now at the start of what will be a very interesting period in our history with the next couple of seasons being pivotal

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    What was the reaction when Aberdeen released the statement after they lost to Darvel singling out Goodwin and stating the 'football monitoring group' had made it clear to him things had to improve?

My memory was it was pretty much ridicule across the board from their own fans, their own ex players (most vocally Alex McLeish), fans of other teams and the media. He was sacked a week later.

We have all but made the same statement now. I don't have any real issue with it as such. Singling out the manager isn't great but then the people who wrote it are partially responsible for the problems and they were never likely to single out themselves. It's the lot of a manager that they carry the can when things aren't working whilst players and the executive team have a greater degree of shielding.

We have backed ourselves into a corner now though. Some people have read the statement as a backing of Montgomery and expect him to be here next season, others see it as an ultimatum and think it has all but sealed his fate. Whatever action we take next will be subject to criticism now. Sack him and it will be 'shocking after backing him only a few weeks ago', lose a couple of bottom 6 games and then retain him and it will be 'so what was the point in the review if he just gets away with it?'

As I said before I do feel for the club a wee bit. There was an element of they had to say something at play and no matter how bland the statement they put out it was always going to be pored over and double meanings or hints found. Maybe it was a time when less would have been more. Omit anything that singles out any one individual. 'The board are aware of supporter feeling and we know this season hasn't been good enough. We are working with the Black Knights Group and will be carrying out a full review of all club operations in the coming weeks. Thank you for your support'.

Good post PB

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie Wooster View Post
    I get the impression the Black Knight review will have been taking place since before the investment was finalised. My impression of this is that Foley will take over football matters , similar to Ratcliffe at Man United.
    Works best for the Gordons who, whilst having Hibs best interests at heart, lacked experience in runing a sizeable sports club. Ben Kensall seems to have good operational manaagement / commercial experience and will probably focus on that but doesnt have the experience in the football side of things.
    So its an arrangement which works best as the people in place did their best and whilst they were good at the off field activities werent operating at the same level on the pitch. Foley will bring that to the table.
    Foley , like any other large company want their people in place , and in my opinion the football side is what they are interest in will want their appointments influencing the football aspect. So would expect a new Director of Football (so it can be aligned with the Bournemouth led pyramid), a new manager (someone who has evidence of a top 3 club experience) and a playing squad who can cement 3rd place and get into the Euro group stages. The DOF and manager announcements will happen shortly , can see McDermott taking a more focussed role in scouting , loans , etc as that will play a more prominent role at Hibs. The playing squad will happen over the next couple of seasons as its harder to move players on , but Black Knights appear to want regular progress not overnight success , so expect to be a couple of place higher next season , possibly 4th the season after , 3rd the season after that.

I agree with all of what you posted here BW, the sensible , silent majority will too.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I suppose the only difference between us and Aberdeen is we now have access to people and assets beyond anything probably ever seen in Scottish football before.

How we use them and whether it results in success very much remains to be seen.
    I think expectations and aspirations re: exactly what the BK involvement will bring to the table in terms of on field success in the short/immediate term should be tempered somewhat.

Where we fall in the priority hierarchy of Foley's "empire" is unknown and may be lower than we, as Hibs fans, would ideally like.

Quote Originally Posted by Not So Young View Post
    When the Foley investment was first announce this forum was split between it being the best thing since sliced bread and the last thing we want as we will lose our identity. I said I would wait and see what they do.

What I find interesting is the review is being carried out by the Black Nights, they seem to be wielding a lot of influence for a minority shareholder, though they do have places on the board.

I fear that the Gordon family are not as committed to the Club as Ron was, a bit like Brooks Mileson at Gretna. Very quickly after he died the family withdrew their financial support.

Hibs were Ron's project and I think the family are looking for a way out, content to sit in the background until that can be achieved.

I'm not suggesting we'll go bust and I'm not suggesting the review is not desperately needed, and I'm still in the "wait and see camp" before deciding if the BK investment is a good or bad thing.

I think we are now at the start of what will be a very interesting period in our history with the next couple of seasons being pivotal
    Could it not be that they realise this is a difficult gig if you are not 100% experienced in what you are doing. Lets get that experience onboard with us and take the club to where Ron wanted it to go! I feel sure they do not want to let Ron or the fans down.

I think when you saw Kit Gordon make her statement at the AGM I think she was 100% genuine that for her she wanted the Gordon family commitment to Hibs continue as she saw it as part of continuing Ron's legacy. What shape or form that commitment takes is another question and clearly part of the Black Knight involvement is to share some of the cost (and gain) on investment but I would not doubt the Gordon's commitment to Hibs at this stage but clearly from a financial perspective they are a drop in the ocean vs Black Knight's capabilities.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar

The Black Knight Group are a multi national/multi sports empire, they will have lots of best practices and processes in place, makes sense that if they are involved then their expertise in this should be used

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Only the ones who deserve it.
    Pah! I've never deserved it

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    Could it not be that they realise this is a difficult gig if you are not 100% experienced in what you are doing. Lets get that experience onboard with us and take the club to where Ron wanted it to go! I feel sure they do not want to let Ron or the fans down.
    That would be my take on it. The BK involvement was to benefit from much more than just a cash injection.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Pah! I've never deserved it
    That's why I have never had a pop at you.......

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    That would be my take on it. The BK involvement was to benefit from much more than just a cash injection.
    I agree and don't even think the money was the primary consideration.

I like the Gordons and feel sorry that things haven't worked out how they hoped so far not to mention Ron's untimely passing.

Hopefully this new era will move us in the right direction.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    What does that mean? Can you give examples of his tone? Or what he was saying?
    Apparently he was honest and recognised it wasn’t good enough.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I agree and don't even think the money was the primary consideration.

I like the Gordons and feel sorry that things haven't worked out how they hoped so far not to mention Ron's untimely passing.

Hopefully this new era will move us in the right direction.
    I’m in the same boat. Mistakes have undoubtedly been made but I have never had any doubts that Gordon family have the best intentions for the club.
    Last edited by jeffers; 18-04-2024 at 11:20 AM.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    When the Gordon's took over, they raised expectations.

I've never doubted they want what's best for us, I just don't think they know how to deliver it.

Hopefully they learn quickly from the BKs influence.

If that means a new CEO, DoF or manager then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I'm pleased they mentioned that they are doing this review in conjunction with the Black Knights Group.

It points to a more rational approach to deciding Monty's future, which will dismiss all the 'he needs a window', 'can't keep sacking managers', 'he's a nice guy' pish. His record with us is not capable of withstanding any scrutiny and he will rightly be binned, albeit several months too late.

We have proven for years that we have sod all expertise in evaluating and recruiting managers so hopefully we can pool their knowledge, use their contacts and attract and appoint a decent replacement.
    Virtually every manager in Scottish football is sacked for being a failure. A new one comes along and is sacked, and so on and so on.............

On that basis, no club has any expertise in appointing managers. Its a never ending circle that can't be broken very easily.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Personally I think Montgomery will be gone at the end of the season. The games left are pretty well meaningless, apart ensuring we don't go into the playoffs, there's very little I would imagine that would impress the board and/or BK enough to keep him on IMO.
    Maybe i'm wrong but i think decision has been made already, hes had most of season and its no better than last season
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member
    I'm pleased they mentioned that they are doing this review in conjunction with the Black Knights Group.

It points to a more rational approach to deciding Monty's future, which will dismiss all the 'he needs a window', 'can't keep sacking managers', 'he's a nice guy' pish. His record with us is not capable of withstanding any scrutiny and he will rightly be binned, albeit several months too late.

We have proven for years that we have sod all expertise in evaluating and recruiting managers so hopefully we can pool their knowledge, use their contacts and attract and appoint a decent replacement.
    What happens if they decide to stick with him? Does that mean all the ‘needs a window people’ are right or do we add the black knights to the next should we get rid poll?

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5

Spot on. A more rational approach to footballing matters at Hibs is long overdue.

If a review effectively led by Black Knights decides Montgomery is the guy then fine and good luck to him, if it doesn't then perhaps some of those who seem to be allergic to questioning him and the club over this and previous season performances will be able to be a little less enraged about examining why we keep under performing.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    #
    Jeezo, take a pill and calm doon!

Ben gave you a slap or something cos thats some post!!!
    Haha I've slept on it :) Utterly pissed off last night, I just think it's unfair to churn that out, mention Monty, and give people the impression it's all on the footballing side of things - the fake tanned elephant in the room needs addressed and PRONTO.

The manager recruitment has been shambolic, and the person responsible for that seems to sail through time after time withouth a ripple in the water.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    When the Gordon's took over, they raised expectations.

I've never doubted they want what's best for us, I just don't think they know how to deliver it.

Hopefully they learn quickly from the BKs influence.

If that means a new CEO, DoF or manager then so be it.
    Yes, this.

@hibs.net private member HFC_NYC's Avatar
    Foley/BK must see that Hibernian FC are their best (only) route to European exposure and will invest accordingly. Otherwise, the whole thing has been a big waste of time. I suppose all we can do is wait and see.

Perhaps having Foley reviewing and overseeing the "football operations" might give us a best of both worlds scenario where the current off the pitch model seems to be generating significant revenue continues under the Gordons and Kensell leading, and now we'll have an experienced hands on approach from BK to give us, and them the best opportunities to move decent players successfully through the group resulting in improved performances on the pitch

A model that Man Utd loosely look to be trying to implement too

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Perhaps having Foley reviewing and overseeing the "football operations" might give us a best of both worlds scenario where the current off the pitch model seems to be generating significant revenue continues under the Gordons and Kensell leading, and now we'll have an experienced hands on approach from BK to give us, and them the best opportunities to move decent players successfully through the group resulting in improved performances on the pitch

A model that Man Utd loosely look to be trying to implement too
    I’d love to know who the BK’s footballing advisors are. They will likely be the best money can buy but there doesn’t seem to be any chat as to who they are.

Having read the statement I think it’s pretty clear BK will have a huge say in what happens next.

Unfortunately for NM I think he’s shown that he’s really not the man for this job and my opinion is that BK will be currently be drawing up a list of names that they’ll want in the hot seat to help further their agenda.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I’d love to know who the BK’s footballing advisors are. They will likely be the best money can buy but there doesn’t seem to be any chat as to who they are.
    I feel like everyone is super excited at the prospect of them coming in, and I understand why, but you’d expect they’ve done the same in France and that doesn’t seem to going so well?

I’m aware of Bournemouth punching way above their weight right now, but I am a bit unsure that these guys will be the magic bullet people think they are.

Obviously there is always a risk they would not get the results we want.

Here’s hoping we see some significant changes because the club is seriously lacking direction IMO.

There needs to be a clear strategy set by the club and the DoF. The DoF should be the person in charge of the football. They set the direction and everything works underneath them.

They should be a long term appointment, someone who is willing to give up 5 or more years to the club and its success.

It seems to me the BMc was a short term thing (certainly in his mind). I asked him in Switzerland why he had taken the job, surely you’d want to retire and not sign up to a big project but it seemed to me he never really seen it as a long term project.

I like him. I think he is a good scout etc. i would like to see him kept on as per the EEN article.

I would be worried that this is going to take a long time to review (for me, surely it has been getting reviewed sonce the announcement) and then appoint a new DoF who will then need to appoint a manager.

Why can we not just get this all done in a timely fashion.

By all accounts the CEO’s role is under scrutiny.
    So too the DoF.
    So too the manager.
    The squad is bloated with players not good enough.

That is massive sweeping changes that we need to happen in a matter of weeks.

I really hope they’ve been working away at this for some time.

We want to be ready for the league cup groups. I expect us to canter out of them, full points. Swinging our knobs about by the time the real football starts.

Hearts are in Europe, that will affect them. We simply must capitalise.
    Last edited by Alex Trager; 18-04-2024 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post

I’m aware of Bournemouth punching way above their weight right now, but I am a bit unsure that these guys will be the magic bullet people think they are.
    I think it should be remembered that Bournemouth's upward trajectory started well before Black Knights became involved.

BK bought Bournemouth in December 2022. Bournemouth had risen from League Two to the Premier League between 2009 and 2015, stayed there until 2020 and were promoted in 2nd place again in 21/22.

That's not to say they aren't doing a good job or that it's not an exciting venture to be a part of but I think a lot of people are attributing Bournemouth's rise through the leagues and their extended stay in the EPL to Foley and his group and that's not the case. They bought a club already in a pretty strong position albeit the trajectory still looks upward. They finished 15th last season and look likely to better that by a place or 3 this season.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years