hibs.net Messageboard

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’d assume he’s referring to the 18 odd players we’ve got out on loan. Some amount of cash wasted.
    True, ..... hadn't thought of that way... and amazing to think of the lack of return compared to the financial side of it

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    Just read Monty’s EEN response to the board statement: “ The stats, the metrics, everything around the season, there are a lot of positives.” So, at least the stats and metrics are fine ….🤔
    Even allowing for this qualifying context in the larger quote…. This is nonsense.

What metrics does he think we excel in? I hope he’s not talking about possession as our passing is terrible and we keep it in the wrong areas for too long.

People can laugh about underlying stats etc, but if we were perhaps creating loads of chances and underperforming against our xG, maybe that would be a compelling case.

Even look at Lee Johnson a year ago. He could point to the fact we had a lot of shots at goal, we won the ball in opponents final third well and our stats for winning the ball back in general quickly, were amongst the best in the league.

Again, this Hibs team excel at nothing. Thanks Monty

I'm really trying hard to believe that Montgomery is the right man for the job but I'm struggling to do so.

His comment "“I understand the fans’ frustration. I love the fans here, love their passion. We all want to win every game, so we’re on the same page. I apologise to the fans and the players apologise for not making the top six, but we now have to move forward.” is so frustrating. He says he gets our grief and frustration then qualifies this by using his all too familiar phrase of "now we have to move forward".

It's like he's simply dismissing the failure. Where's his passion?

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by banchoryhibs View Post
    I'm really trying hard to believe that Montgomery is the right man for the job but I'm struggling to do so.

His comment "“I understand the fans’ frustration. I love the fans here, love their passion. We all want to win every game, so we’re on the same page. I apologise to the fans and the players apologise for not making the top six, but we now have to move forward.” is so frustrating. He says he gets our grief and frustration then qualifies this by using his all too familiar phrase of "now we have to move forward".

I get what you're saying, but ultimately all we can do now is move on. Results are in the past.

I'm still hoping we move on as a club by getting rid of NM. Just don't see that happening now.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

Dismissing it and apologising for it simultaneously?

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar

I don’t see any fault with that tbh mate.

What else are you looking for?

Just read Monty’s EEN response to the board statement: “ The stats, the metrics, everything around the season, there are a lot of positives.” So, at least the stats and metrics are fine ….🤔
    He's becoming unbearable

This crap that managers spout really annoys me like, doesn't matter how many shots on target you have, or how much possession you have it doesn't guarantee wins, there is plenty teams out there that win games without being in the game atall, we are just so soft and a lot of that's down to the manager, some of his subs and tactics have literally cost us games. Your left scratching your head, he's to blame for us not finishing in the top 6 imo more than anyone else. He seems utterly clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    I don’t see any fault with that tbh mate.

What else are you looking for?
    If he had stopped after his apology that would have been ok. But, to me, it's his immediate use of the phrase - "now we have to move forward" in the same sentence minimises the fact that there's been a failure to deliver again. He's saying, move on, forget about that, let's concentrate on the future.

I really am trying to believe that he will successfully turn things round, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised in the next 5 games.

If he had stopped after his apology that would have been ok. But, to me, it's his immediate use of the phrase - "now we have to move forward" in the same sentence minimises the fact that there's been a failure to deliver again. He's saying, move on, forget about that, let's concentrate on the future.

I really am trying to believe that he will successfully turn things round, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised in the next 5 games.
    We all know it’s been a failure. He’s acknowledged it. The board have acknowledged it. There is no point in going over and over it. All he can do is move on to the next game, for all it matters, and try to win that. Don’t really see what else he can say here.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I wonder if the metrics would have been any better if they had a lion chasing them?

NHC but just goes to show how hard it is to recruit the right manager with some already criticising Liverpool's move to get Arne Slot from Feyenoord.

Understandable given how things have gone with Ten Haag but even at the top level recruiting managers is perhaps the most difficult task in football.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    There’s a bit more to what he says than that though…..

“I know we should have done better. We were 20 seconds' difference from the top six but, even if we'd got there, I would still have looked at this season as not enough points, too many points dropped from winning positions, so it wouldn't have changed the review that we did. A lot of the stats and metrics in my time at the club have been really positive but ultimately results paper over a lot of those good stats because it's about the result at the end of the day.”
    The only metric that counts is our league position at the end of the season. Montgomery essentially admits that but also has to talk himself up to deflect from his poor managerial performance. Anything else and he might as well be writing his own P45. It's self-preservation PR spin that no one buys but he's clinging onto this job by his fingertips. I think that today and the next 4 games will decide his future at Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by joe breezy View Post
    NHC but just goes to show how hard it is to recruit the right manager with some already criticising Liverpool's move to get Arne Slot from Feyenoord.

Understandable given how things have gone with Ten Haag but even at the top level recruiting managers is perhaps the most difficult task in football.
    Actually think it’s the opposite.

Obviously finding a manager to replace Alex Ferguson or Klopp who have both been successful will be difficult.

But to replace Maloney - LJ and Monty really isn’t that hard.

Currently Monty has somehow made LJ look a better manager than what he was.

I’ve not watched, listened to any Monty interview since January-ish as I just can’t take to him

When I see quotes like the one just posted, it confirms my decision

Sooner the better

I have to disagree with you there. You can only look forward. The past is done. It can’t be changed.

Acknowledge it.
    Acknowledge the mistakes made.
    Learn from them.

He’s done the first.
    He’s maybe done the second.
    I’m not sure he’s done the third, to any level of success anyway.

I think he’ll be gone soon. He only has himself to blame. The CH situation in particular is a shocker. He had a window to address that. He never.

Quote Originally Posted by joe breezy View Post

Tbf, there are a few managers in their own league that Liverpool could go for.

I don’t know for sure, but it’s like our club missing their first two targets and then going for their third whilst ignoring the likes of McInnes (ahem).

They are being critiqued for not getting their first two targets.

Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world, and you’d expect they could attract a big name - I’d expect their fans feel that way.

Don’t know why anyone pays any attention to what managers ,or players,say in the media.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Has Foley been to a Hibs match yet?
    No, he hasn’t.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Don’t know why anyone pays any attention to what managers ,or players,say in the media.
    Said it before but for all his faults I think that’s why Lennon remains so popular. When he spoke, whether you agreed with him or not, he was saying something.

When the current crop of manager or players speak it’s just cliches copied out a media training textbook trying to get out of each interview saying as little as possible.

You only have to look at Martin Boyle, caught off guard you can see he’s a character and full of personality. Put him in front of a camera for an interview and he’s every bit as dull and boring as the rest of them.

That’s why ideally I’d like a South American lunatic who doesn’t care about the consequences of what he says as our next manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    I have to disagree with you there. You can only look forward. The past is done. It can’t be changed.

Acknowledge it.
    Acknowledge the mistakes made.
    Learn from them.

He’s done the first.
    He’s maybe done the second.
    I’m not sure he’s done the third, to any level of success anyway.

I think he’ll be gone soon. He only has himself to blame. The CH situation in particular is a shocker. He had a window to address that. He never.
    Agree with most of that apart from the last bit.

Every Hibs supporter and their Auntie Jean knows that:-

1. You wont fill a permanent position from the January rejects window.
    2. The recruitment department and Director of Football source players, not the Head Coach. Been so since Leeann and George ten years ago. Triantis only came due to a prior connection
    3. What quality centre half is going to come to Hibs with our record?

Recruitment wont be solved by changing the Head Coach. We need changes higher up the food chain.
    Last edited by RIP; 27-04-2024 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Agree with most of that apart from the last bit.

Every Hibs supporter and their Auntie Jean knows that:-

1. You wont fill a permanent position from the January rejects window.
    2. The recruitment department and Director of Football source players, not the Head Coach. Been so since Leeann and George ten years ago. Triantis only came due to a prior connection
    3. What quality centre half is going to come to Hibs with our record?

Recruitment wont be solved by changing the Head Coach. We need changes higher up the food chain.
    Nah, far too black and white and this isn’t what the model means.

You’ve indicated yourself that Triantis was one with a connection to the Head Coach. The Head Coach was also actively involved in speaking with Marcondes in Dubai about joining.

He’s a part of the process - he just has a recruitment team, including the DoF to do the work on signings.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    I’ve not watched, listened to any Monty interview since January-ish as I just can’t take to him

When I see quotes like the one just posted, it confirms my decision

Sooner the better
    Probably better to listen to it all rather than a couple of lines.

He isn't dismissing it at all, he acknowledged it clearly and is trying to draw a line under it and say they will push on and improve from here. Hardly difficult to understand what he means.

@hibs.net private member
    For me his biggest fault is trying to play a system with players that couldn’t do it. Then he changed and we got a bit better but overall the football has been boring. He tries to play like Man City but in Scottish football you need strong physical players who give 100% from start to finish. The 3 teams above us have managers with experience of Scottish football and all play a more direct style out from the back and have been more successful on a lot less money. He’s been another poor appointment. McInness or Robinson would have us competing for third not looking over our shoulder in case results all go against us.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHFC View Post
    Nah, far too black and white and this isn’t what the model means.

You’ve indicated yourself that Triantis was one with a connection to the Head Coach. The Head Coach was also actively involved in speaking with Marcondes in Dubai about joining.

He’s a part of the process - he just has a recruitment team, including the DoF to do the work on signings.
    It's a joined up, team effort on getting players identified and signed, no one person is responsible or culpable. Far too much black and white, binary thinking on matters that are far more nuanced and complicated.

Though obviously it the player is ****, Monty aigend them...or Ian Gordon 😁