hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alex Miller was my first.

Since then I've had Duffy, McLeish, Sauzee, Williamson, Mowbray, Collins, Mixu, Hughes, Calderwood, Fenlon, Butcher, Stubbs, Lennon, Heckingbottom, Ross, Maloney, Johnson and Montgomery.

Actually less than I thought.
    Same for me, albeit I think John Blackley would've been the Hibs manager when I was first taken to a game (me and my wee brother scrambling about the seats in the old main stand). Earliest memory of a Hibs game is the old stand shaking as the fans stamped their feet, Boom-Boom-Boom, Hibees!

Didn't really catch the bug until a game under Miller early 1990, a 1-0 home win over Celtic. Think Kano scored a penalty.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Alex Miller was my first, God knows how many there has been since, quite a few

Summer 1965 was my first game, so Bob Shankly. As I was an instant fanatic at 6 years old, I remember him well and by the time the entertaining Willie McFarlane came along, it was pretty exciting supporting Hibs - start of secondary school and having Turnbull arriving felt amazing. What a start to a young Hibee life.!

Been a lot more downs than ups since then for the 26 or so managers I’ve endured and we’ve made a right pigs ear of appointments since that 2016 cup win gave us the opportunity to launch ourselves back to where we should be.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I was born when Walter Galbraith was in charge and we've had 45 managers (including interims) in that almost 62 years. If you take out the 19 years for Eddie Turnbull and Alex Miller that's 43 others in in 43 years. It's little wonder our accomplishments are about as frequent as teeth in a duck.
    While there may be an argument to be made about manager turnover, if you include caretakers and exclude long-serving managers then the numbers become meaningless.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Just checked who was manager in 1964 and it was Galbraith, i've no memory of him as i was only 4 years old when my dad first took me to the old north enclosure.

Dont even remember Stein, the first manager i really remember is Shankly.

43 including temps.

To give my 26 fully appointed managers in 60 years as a supporter stat some relevant context, I’m pretty sure Hearts have had a fair few more in that time and possibly Aberdeen too. We are no different really. Then you have to take out a few who left, like McLeish, Mowbray, Stubbs etc.

Finding a manager who can get everything going in the right direction and have a consistent few seasons keeping that standard up is clearly very difficult for a board and more so nowadays as fans are much less patient I think. But as we all know it’s also the most important appointment a club can make and we have made poor decisions in that area recently. Here’s hoping the next one is on the money.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    I started with Turnbull early 70's, so including him i'm on my 24th manager i think. That's not including 12 caretaker managers Eddie May twice and SDG 3.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    I started with Turnbull early 70's, so including him i'm on my 24th manager i think. That's not including 12 caretaker managers Eddie May twice and SDG 3.
    Am I right in recalling that Billy McNeill was once our caretaker manager? I'm pretty sure he was, but I just can't imagine how that would have come about. He surely never took up an assistant manager role at Hibs?

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Am I right in recalling that Billy McNeill was once our caretaker manager? I'm pretty sure he was, but I just can't imagine how that would have come about. He surely never took up an assistant manager role at Hibs?
    Yes he was brought in as some sort of DoF for Jim Duffy and took us for one game when Duffy left. 1998 it's saying.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Aberdeen away if my memory is right?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Aberdeen away if my memory is right?
    It was.

A 3-0 defeat. Iirc he replaced Chris Reid in goals with Oli.

Not really a surprise McLeish came in and made a goalkeeper his top priority.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

John Blackley - and rarely has the football improved since!

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    I recall being taken to a few games when Jock Stein was in charge but Bob Shankly was the manager when i started going regularly with my auld man.
    Some people say I display apathy, but I don’t care what they think.

@hibs.net private member
    Caught the last few months of Willie Ormond then on to Bertie Auld. If you're of the complainers re the crap football of recent years I would like to time travel you back to Bertie's reign. Dull, boring, awful, with seemingly repetitive bore draws. I must have been made of sterner stuff back then to keep going. Alex Miller had a few good squads in his time with the likes of Darren Jackson, Michael O'Neill, Keith Keith and won the League Cup but the highlights of his 10 year reign were very few. It wasn't until McLeish arrived that we had something to shout about. Mowbray short but very sweet stay. Collins (League Cup), Stubbs gave us some fun and the Holy Grail. A short cameo from Lennon and pretty poor stuff since. I've not mentioned everyone over the piece as they were pretty much meh!

Stanton, Blackley and Sauzee - so sad to see heroes fail to succeed.

Willie McCartney.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    I started going when I was 5 so it must have been Jock Stein!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugh Shaw when my dad took me Walter Galbraith when started going with pals.

@hibs.net private member Groathillgrump's Avatar
    Since my first game in 1970 we've had Dave Ewing plus another 25 permanent managers.

Also had 12 different caretaker managers during that period including David Gray three times and Eddie May twice.

It was.

A 3-0 defeat. Iirc he replaced Chris Reid in goals with Oli.

Not really a surprise McLeish came in and made a goalkeeper his top priority.
    Yes, McLeish brought in Gunn but did Ole not return to feature regularly in our First Division campaign? Don't think Colgan was signed until after we got promoted.

Just had a look at Ole's career details and unfortunately he appears to have had some addiction issues/run-ins with the authorities post-football.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Yes, McLeish brought in Gunn but did Ole not return to feature regularly in our First Division campaign? Don't think Colgan was signed until after we got promoted.

Just had a look at Ole's career details and unfortunately he appears to have had some addiction issues/run-ins with the authorities post-football.
    That's right. Gunn got injured in pre-season and never played again. Oli came in a had a good season in the First Division. Made a decent start to the next SPL one as well (I remember him making a couple of incredible saves in the first derby at ER, 1-1 draw) and felt that McLeish dropped him harshly. However, bringing Colgan in was definitely a good move, and was a pivotal point in that season.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Eddie Turnbull was manager when I was born, Pat Stanton was likely manager when I went to ER for the first time. Blackley was manager when I first really remember properly paying attention to a game - but it was his last: a 3-1 defeat at home to Hamilton, who were miles adrift at the bottom of the league at that time.

Generally got decent memories of Miller's time. During the worst parts of his tenure I was really young and just happy enough to get to games, but when older I could appreciate how he went about building a team over the course of several years (when your first team squad was much smaller, and there were no wholesale changes every year due to Bosmans).

@hibs.net private member
    Hugh Shaw was in charge when I watched my first game in 1951. We've had 29 managers since Shaw, plus 13 caretaker managers.

@hibs.net private member
    Bob Shankly would have been my first, not that I realised it at the time. 27 managers and 16 caretaker stints in my time.

I think I’ve worked this out correctly:

Hibs have been around for 149 years. We’ve had around 38 permanent managers. Half of them have been in the last 30 years

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Euan88
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post

Hibs have been around for 149 years. We’ve had around 38 permanent managers. Half of them have been in the last 30 years
    Yeah good shout! I'm counting 37.

Alex Miller was in charge when I was born and for my first game 7 years later. He was Hibs 19th permanent manager according to Wiki (if my counting is correct).

We've had 18 managers since, so (as you say) we've had as many managers in the 28 years post-Alex Miller as we did in the 111 years pre-Alex Miller.

@hibs.net private member Groathillgrump's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post

That stat is indicative of how expectations have changed over the years. Fans of most clubs aren't prepared to give managers time to build a successful side.

If there's not instant improvement, a few months later we're demanding that the manager is sacked. Sadly I'm as guilty of that as anyone. Not sure how we break the cycle though.

@hibs.net private member
    The tail end of Turnbull for be. We were more a light breeze than a Tornado at that point

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    I'm the same, started with football later than most so Mowbray was my first manager. Thanks for doing the count!

One point though - how has the man who oversaw 5-1 and 7-0 Malmo made it into the 'OK' category?!
    Does fenlon get the blame for 5-1? Without his good work we'd have been nowhere near that final. We were absolutely awful

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    That's right. Gunn got injured in pre-season and never played again. Oli came in a had a good season in the First Division. Made a decent start to the next SPL one as well (I remember him making a couple of incredible saves in the first derby at ER, 1-1 draw) and felt that McLeish dropped him harshly. However, bringing Colgan in was definitely a good move, and was a pivotal point in that season.
    Oli was very decent in the 1st division.

As you say he also made an ok start to the season the year we came back up. He did have a nightmare in the game v Dundee United that saw him dropped and I think McLeish was just waiting for the chance. I think we only won 1 of our first 8 that season and were regularly conceding 2 or more goals (I think we had a 4-3 win, 3 or 4 2-2 draws and a couple of 3 goal defeats). It was an easy change to make to freshen it up.

It's quite crazy to think that the 0-3 'millennium derby' was only our 6th win of the season and it was played in late December.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Oli was very decent in the 1st division.

As you say he also made an ok start to the season the year we came back up. He did have a nightmare in the game v Dundee United that saw him dropped and I think McLeish was just waiting for the chance. I think we only won 1 of our first 8 that season and were regularly conceding 2 or more goals (I think we had a 4-3 win, 3 or 4 2-2 draws and a couple of 3 goal defeats). It was an easy change to make to freshen it up.

It's quite crazy to think that the 0-3 'millennium derby' was only our 6th win of the season and it was played in late December.
    We have only won 9 league games THIS season.