Quote Originally Posted by Musselbound View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alex Miller. Long lost count so I'll leave it to others to do the maths. 🤓
    Ditto

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Oli was very decent in the 1st division.

As you say he also made an ok start to the season the year we came back up. He did have a nightmare in the game v Dundee United that saw him dropped and I think McLeish was just waiting for the chance. I think we only won 1 of our first 8 that season and were regularly conceding 2 or more goals (I think we had a 4-3 win, 3 or 4 2-2 draws and a couple of 3 goal defeats). It was an easy change to make to freshen it up.

It's quite crazy to think that the 0-3 'millennium derby' was only our 6th win of the season and it was played in late December.
    Ah you're right PB - I had in my head that he was dropped after the 2-2 draw at Motherwell, but you're right that it was after that Utd game - think he gave away a pen in the last minute (which Dodds thankfully skied over the bar)? We were conceding a lot.

Yeah that is quite mental, and I've said before that my memories of that season are not quite in sync with how difficult it was at times. I obviously think we were delighted just to be back up, and there was a lot of good will for that team, given the First Division campaign - and we had two absolute superstars in Latapy and Sauzee also. Winning two derbies and only losing one also helped a lot, as did beating Celtic at home, and drawing with Rangers.

I remember referencing that First Division campaign when how we won the Championship in 2017 was used as a stick to beat Lennon with (as if it matters how you win the lower league). We absolutely skooshed the league in 1999, winning by a huge margin and had a points record at the time - but there's absolutely no doubt that we were much better equipped for the top league in 2017 (which we won by a mere 11 points).

Bob Shankly. Surprising amount of old codgers on this site.

@hibs.net private member
    Earliest memory as a kid is John Blackley. Much more prominent memories of Alex Miller.

Total permanent managers: 20
    Best win rate: Jack Ross
    Best memories: McLeish, Mowbray (Stubbs for the Cup only) and Lennon.

Walter Galbraith for me, but the first manager I was actually aware of was Eddie Turnbull. I was just turning 8 when he took charge and for a while it was magic.

First Team Breakthrough
    Bob Shanlly for me.Jan 68.Hibsv Dundee Utd.3-0 Hibs.That was me hook line and sinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Hugh Shaw was the manager when I recall attending my first game in 1961.

He was only the ninth manager the club had had in its existence according to the records I have looked at.

Been a lot of managers under the bridge since then.

Having seen so many, that’s maybe why I don’t get too excited about them.
    Did you see the Jock Stein Hibs side? I’d love to hear what they were like.

Walter Galbraith 😮☹

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Changed completely after Galbraith, I seriously think he could have taken us all the way, a Scottish Cup at least

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Does fenlon get the blame for 5-1? Without his good work we'd have been nowhere near that final. We were absolutely awful
    Well he got us there so aye he does 😂
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Ah you're right PB - I had in my head that he was dropped after the 2-2 draw at Motherwell, but you're right that it was after that Utd game - think he gave away a pen in the last minute (which Dodds thankfully skied over the bar)? We were conceding a lot.

Yeah that is quite mental, and I've said before that my memories of that season are not quite in sync with how difficult it was at times. I obviously think we were delighted just to be back up, and there was a lot of good will for that team, given the First Division campaign - and we had two absolute superstars in Latapy and Sauzee also. Winning two derbies and only losing one also helped a lot, as did beating Celtic at home, and drawing with Rangers.

I remember referencing that First Division campaign when how we won the Championship in 2017 was used as a stick to beat Lennon with (as if it matters how you win the lower league). We absolutely skooshed the league in 1999, winning by a huge margin and had a points record at the time - but there's absolutely no doubt that we were much better equipped for the top league in 2017 (which we won by a mere 11 points).
    Finished sixth that first season back up. Below Motherwell and St Johnstone. Aberdeen finished bottom but were spared relegation as Falkirk didn't have a top flight compliant stadium. We really blew it against them in the Scotuish Cup semi when we were 1-0 up and bossing it but IIRC one of our players (Lovell?) had to go off early, incurring McLeish's wrath as he'd assured him he was fit to start.

McLeish brought in some terrific players for the next season when at one point we were dreaming of a title challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Fit,hard,skilful.Won the majority of the games he managed.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Turnbulls tornadoes....there is some benefit to being old !
    No idea how many we 've gone thru since then....too many.

I appreciate its a tough gig, but the hibs board need to up their game on appointments.
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    Bob Shankly was my first,26 managers since then not including temporary managers
    Ditto. Going to say Shankly and McFarlane were probably the best managers in my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Hugh Shaw was the manager when I recall attending my first game in 1961.

He was only the ninth manager the club had had in its existence according to the records I have looked at.

Been a lot of managers under the bridge since then.

Having seen so many, that’s maybe why I don’t get too excited about them.
    Thanks Fred, saved me typing that.

Alex Miller was my first.

Since then I've had Duffy, McLeish, Sauzee, Williamson, Mowbray, Collins, Mixu, Hughes, Calderwood, Fenlon, Butcher, Stubbs, Lennon, Heckingbottom, Ross, Maloney, Johnson and Montgomery.

Actually less than I thought.
    I’ll be the same.

Decent pub quiz question would be - how many caretaker managers have we had in that time, and who were they?

Alex Miller was my first so for me Hibs are traditionally a defensive, boring team who never beat Hearts

First game Bob Shankly, Jock Stein left two weeks before my first game.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Finished sixth that first season back up. Below Motherwell and St Johnstone. Aberdeen finished bottom but were spared relegation as Falkirk didn't have a top flight compliant stadium. We really blew it against them in the Scotuish Cup semi when we were 1-0 up and bossing it but IIRC one of our players (Lovell?) had to go off early, incurring McLeish's wrath as he'd assured him he was fit to start.

McLeish brought in some terrific players for the next season when at one point we were dreaming of a title challenge.
    Spot on about that semi final. Was Derek Collins that went off early, after declaring himself fit. Was a massive problem with only two subs allowed. Remember McLeish talking through his thought process behind who to put to RB in his place in the Inside Easter Road video.

First Team Regular
    Hugh Shaw when attending my first game at ER in 1954 or 1955. Don't have time to list managers since Shaw.
    Willie McFarlane and Jock Stein were better IMOP
    than any of the rest.

The manager at my first game was Walter Galbraith, 1962 v st Mirren, think there has been 2 or 3 mangers since then

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    Oli was very decent in the 1st division.

As you say he also made an ok start to the season the year we came back up. He did have a nightmare in the game v Dundee United that saw him dropped and I think McLeish was just waiting for the chance. I think we only won 1 of our first 8 that season and were regularly conceding 2 or more goals (I think we had a 4-3 win, 3 or 4 2-2 draws and a couple of 3 goal defeats). It was an easy change to make to freshen it up.

It's quite crazy to think that the 0-3 'millennium derby' was only our 6th win of the season and it was played in late December.
    I remember Jimmy Bocco consoling him as the team left the pitch while "Oli Oli get tae ****" was getting belted out. Think that was the Dundee United game.
    Some people say I display apathy, but I don’t care what they think.

First Team Breakthrough
    From 1959 to 2024 Hibs.managers total 39 first Hugh Shaw up to Neil montgomery

First Team Breakthrough
    Best mangers in my time Jock Stein by a long way played some of the best football I have ever seen at Easter road beat Rangers 3 times in one season plus a 2-0 win over the great Real Madrid. Outstanding players were Willie Hamilton, Pat Quinn etc. Eddie Turnbull, Willie McFarland, Alex mcleish,Tony Mowbray.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by killie-hibby View Post
    Hugh Shaw when attending my first game at ER in 1954 or 1955. Don't have time to list managers since Shaw.
    Willie McFarlane and Jock Stein were better IMOP
    than any of the rest.
    I find that odd when Stein didn't last a season. Turnbull twice split the Old Firm, won a cup and delivered some amazing nights in Europe.

Bob Shankly So 40 if you include temporary managers

First Team Breakthrough
    Best mangers in my time Jock Stein by a long way played some of the best football I have ever seen at Easter road beat Rangers 3 times in one season plus a 2-0 win over the great Real Madrid. Outstanding players were Willie Hamilton, Pat Quinn etc. Eddie Turnbull, Willie McFarland, Alex mcleish,Tony Mowbray.

McFarlane/Ewing/ Turnbull...lose count after that, though I'm sure somebody can quote me the stat!

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin' Auld View Post
    I remember Jimmy Bocco consoling him as the team left the pitch while "Oli Oli get tae ****" was getting belted out. Think that was the Dundee United game.
    I think Boco was long gone by that time.

You could be thinking of another game v Dundee United the season we were relegated. We were 1-0 down, equalised late on then John Hughes got caught wrong side and gifted them a 2nd before Oli let one through his legs in injury time. Both of them got absolute pelters from the stands.

The game before he was dropped that season was v Motherwell, a 1-1 draw in which he dropped an easy shot right at Owen Coyle's feet in the last minute. Chris Reid started the next game at Ibrox and saved a penalty albeit they scored the rebound in a 1-0 defeat.

Incidentally in both the Dundee United and Mothwerwell games we shot up the slope in the 2nd half.

Mothwerwell lowlights here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=c2legB2rtNk
    And Dundee United here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJM3YKw1snI&t=1s

You can see how shot the poor guys confidence is in the Motherwell game. Also it's beyond me how Willie Miller wasn't sent off for what can only be described as an assault
    Last edited by Pretty Boy; 19-04-2024 at 01:16 PM.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I think Boco was long gone by that time.

You could be thinking of another game v Dundee United the season we were relegated. We were 1-0 down, equalised late on then John Hughes got caught wrong side and gifted them a 2nd before Oli let one through his legs in injury time. Both of them got absolute pelters from the stands.

The game before he was dropped that season was v Motherwell, a 1-1 draw in which he dropped an easy shot right at Owen Coyle's feet in the last minute. Chris Reid started the next game at Ibrox and saved a penalty albeit they scored the rebound in a 1-0 defeat.

Incidentally in both the Dundee United and Mothwerwell games we shot up the slope in the 2nd half.

Mothwerwell lowlights here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=c2legB2rtNk
    And Dundee United here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJM3YKw1snI&t=1s
    I’m positive the GTF chanting was in the immediate aftermath of the Motherwell game - when he failed to hold a pretty tame shot and they scored the rebound. Iirc it was very late in the game and everyone knew how costly it might be.

Edit - just watched the highlights, first time I’ve seen them since being at the match - the gaffe is even worse than it seemed at the time.
    Last edited by Smartie; 19-04-2024 at 01:19 PM.