hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: The League Cup

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

The League Cup

We’ll be back in the group sections of the League Cup next season for a feast of sensational summer soccer action.

If our name is in the hat for the group draws then that’s a failure in itself. An unnecessary extra load of pressure to get through a group to knockout stages is pretty unwelcome.

Whether it’s Montgomery or a new manager - failure to get out the group stages would likely see NM sacked, or a new manager already facing questions on his suitability and whether he’s another who may not be here too long.

Can’t wait.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We’ll be back in the group sections of the League Cup next season for a feast of sensational summer soccer action.

If our name is in the hat for the group draws then that’s a failure in itself. An unnecessary extra load of pressure to get through a group to knockout stages is pretty unwelcome.

Whether it’s Montgomery or a new manager - failure to get out the group stages would likely see NM sacked, or a new manager already facing questions on his suitability and whether he’s another who may not be here too long.

Can’t wait.
    It's a bit of a daft tournament these days, with teams in Europe only needing to win three games to get to the final. The likes of LJ clearly didn't take it seriously and I think the format needs a rethink if it's to carry any clout. Scrapping the groups, rekindling a knockout format which every club takes part in and awarding a European spot for the winners would rekindle interest as it's arguable whether finishing fourth or fifth in a 12 team league merits European qualification anyway.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    I quite enjoy the two away days in the July sunshine, a silver lining of sorts.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I cant see the sense in giving Monty the summer, a pre season prep, a transfer window only to fire him if he fails in the League Cup group stage.

Personally i dont think he's up to the job and this season has been a bit of a disaster which he must shoulder alot of the blame for and take the inevitable consequence. But if the powers that be elect to back him further then they must give him beyond the league cup group stage.

Id get the broom out and give the club a good sweep out now to give us some sort of direction and imetus for next season. At present it feels like we are drifting along aimlessly. We need strong leadership at the top, with a vision and a clear plan of how to achieve that vision.

We're better than this Hibs.

I would hate us to treat it like pre-season again and look to give the full squad game time. We play our strongest side for all games otherwise we are inviting pressure and incurring unrequired risk.

With abit of luck we could also go on to win the cup too . 🤞

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I don’t like the set up of the league cup and it being done and dusted before Xmas. I far preferred the old routine of a straight knockout played midweek, including the semi finals.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by The Hibee Harp View Post
    I would hate us to treat it like pre-season again and look to give the full squad game time. We play our strongest side for all games otherwise we are inviting pressure and incurring unrequired risk.
    I don’t think LJ didn’t take it seriously or treated it like pre-season for the sake of it. The fact is it IS in the pre-season period and it is important to manage the players so that they are ready to go and last the whole season. You also inevitably end up with playing before bringing in players you want.

I think it is just a bad system.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    It will also mean no or few pre season friendlies like our trip to Blackpool this season. That in itself makes me sad as Blackpool was a great weekend away.

J

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    It's a bit of a daft tournament these days, with teams in Europe only needing to win three games to get to the final. The likes of LJ clearly didn't take it seriously and I think the format needs a rethink if it's to carry any clout. Scrapping the groups, rekindling a knockout format which every club takes part in and awarding a European spot for the winners would rekindle interest as it's arguable whether finishing fourth or fifth in a 12 team league merits European qualification anyway.
    Clubs use it as a bit of a preseason too

This summer will consist of taking my young kids to parks, hopefully playing the odd game of golf and possibly digging out some long retired football boots and sourcing some polish.

First Team Regular
    I think it's reasonable way to ease teams into the competitive season and to play different teams. It's also more affordable for fans like me who can't go to many games and I'd rather attend these games than friendlies.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Like it or not, it’s one of the two trophies that we have a remote chance of winning each season.

For that reason alone it must be treated with respect.

It’s not like our trophy cabinet is groaning with silverware.

J

4 competitive games where aim has to be to win all 4 convincingly to make sure we`re seeded in last 16 . 2 years ago we had a good crowd against Morton including a big away support and quite a few tourists and hopefully we`re at home against Partick , QOS , Falkirk or other club who`d bring a big support to the ER . Dunfermline away would be ideal as we`d take a big support which is important to build up supporter morale before league starts but if we get Pars we`ll be at home as top seeds play second seeds at home . Friendlies should start at beginning of July so 3 or 4 of them , 4 league cup matches plus home friendly and on to a strong league start while rivals play friendlies or Thursday European matches .

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This summer will consist of taking my young kids to parks, hopefully playing the odd game of golf and possibly digging out some long retired football boots and sourcing some polish.
    Wonder if Brian McD will be sourcing some polish as well. Canny be any worse!

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    4 competitive games where aim has to be to win all 4 convincingly to make sure we`re seeded in last 16 . 2 years ago we had a good crowd against Morton including a big away support and quite a few tourists and hopefully we`re at home against Partick , QOS , Falkirk or other club who`d bring a big support to the ER . Dunfermline away would be ideal as we`d take a big support which is important to build up supporter morale before league starts but if we get Pars we`ll be at home as top seeds play second seeds at home . Friendlies should start at beginning of July so 3 or 4 of them , 4 league cup matches plus home friendly and on to a strong league start while rivals play friendlies or Thursday European matches .
    We are always in the North section.so likely to pick up anything East Coast plus Stirling /Alloa. If there's a shark in there EG Dundee United/Raith we will pick one of them up too.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHFC View Post
    I don’t think LJ didn’t take it seriously or treated it like pre-season for the sake of it. The fact is it IS in the pre-season period and it is important to manage the players so that they are ready to go and last the whole season. You also inevitably end up with playing before bringing in players you want.

I think it is just a bad system.
    His team selection at Falkirk was asking for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    His team selection at Falkirk was asking for trouble
    A rookie keeper with two rookie centre halfs was never going to end well.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.