hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is he staying?

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is it typically Hibs when we have been sacking managers in a regular basis recently?
    Most folk knew Johnson was on borrowed time and shouldn't have been given the summer to then be sacked 3 games into the season.

We're in danger of repeating the same scenario only 12 months later.

It won't be long before it's another inevitable season of transition and the new man needs time, his own window etc, etc.

Rinse and repeat.

Get him out now.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    What sort of people would move someone from Australia to Scotland then sack them after 6 months. I don't have much faith in the people running the club but surely they feel some sort of responsibility to him.
    He moved from Australia fully in the knowledge of how football works. He’ll also have had targets outlined to him that he’s failed.

If he didn’t want to put himself in a position where he might get sacked after 8 months of continuous failure then he probably shouldn’t have taken the job.

The idea that the board of directors would be bad people for replacing someone who has completely failed at the job they were employed to do is mental imo.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The fans turned on him during his last game and it had that feeling of there not being any way back for him from there. It certainly wasn't sustained but it wasn't insignificant either.

That game had exactly the same "straw that broke the camel's back" feeling about it as Saturday, where many (most) waverers turned.
    I think the final nail was him turning and cupping his ears to the Hibs fans after we made it 1-1 and while he was doing it, Bruce Anderson was scoring to make it 2-1 to Livi.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I suspect that the only way they would shift him is if there was some kind of significant and sustained supporter reaction. There won't be because we are now in a state of general apathy nurtured and sustained by the entirely dull season, style of play and style of leadership we have been fed over this season and prior to that.
    A dramatic drop-off in season ticket purchases - and the attendant concerns this would raise about the club's much-vaunted hospitality - might jolt the complacent ownership into some sort of reaction.

It's remarkable that season ticket sales have held up as well as they have in recent seasons but a dismal post-six set of games where we toy with getting dragged into the play-offs would surely dissuade some from renewing.

Other than that I can't, as you say, see the reaction being much more than ongoing apathy and a crossing of fingers that somehow things will be better next season. A baying mob with pitchforks descending on East Mains seems a long way off.

I think he’ll be gone. Any time new owners turn up at a club, they inherit people that weren’t their choices, so chances of change are high, regardless of performance.

Ultimately, the intent is for Hibs to play host to prospects from across the BK group, so I would assume they will want those prospects coached by folk who are up to that task, so unless we think Foley and co will have seen enough to think our current football related staff are capable of that, I’d expect to see a lot of change this summer.

What worries me is that we might not get another win this season 🤔☹

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    I think he’ll be gone. Any time new owners turn up at a club, they inherit people that weren’t their choices, so chances of change are high, regardless of performance.

Ultimately, the intent is for Hibs to play host to prospects from across the BK group, so I would assume they will want those prospects coached by folk who are up to that task, so unless we think Foley and co will have seen enough to think our current football related staff are capable of that, I’d expect to see a lot of change this summer.
    I'm not really convinced that "footballing success for Hibs" is that high on Foley's agenda.

He'll be interested in assessing the quality of Monty's coaching, get a feel of whether or not he's going to be able to develop players and how he handles giving them time in the first team. Our actual results will be secondary to him.

The Gordons, for all the criticisms we can throw at them, certainly have skin in the game and a desire for Ron's legacy to be a positive one.

Where that all cancels out, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    He moved from Australia fully in the knowledge of how football works. He’ll also have had targets outlined to him that he’s failed.

If he didn’t want to put himself in a position where he might get sacked after 8 months of continuous failure then he probably shouldn’t have taken the job.

The idea that the board of directors would be bad people for replacing someone who has completely failed at the job they were employed to do is mental imo.
    He presumably took the job because he's ambitious and was prepared to uproot his family to help meet those ambitions. So yes, he's going to be well aware of the risks that entails.

However, the nature of a football manager's job is more cutthroat than it's ever been and it must be hard for those with young families to move them around the UK, let alone from the other side of the world. I have sympathy for him in that respect but I'd be surprised if it affected the ownership's thinking when it comes to a decision on his future. Mind you, we hear so little from them it's hard to know what they think. My guess, though, would be that they'll be very reluctant to acknowledge yet another managerial failure and will retain Monty on the basis they feel he needs longer to prove he can turn things around. He himself seemed relatively sure he was in this for the long haul when he spoke last week, although you got the impression that may have been dependent on reaching the top six.

Quote Originally Posted by hulk View Post
    We can especially when they fail to meet minimum requirements. Finishing behind Killie, st Mirren and Dundee is totally unacceptable. I hope it’s in his contract that if he didn’t get top 6 we can boot him out for free or on the cheap
    If that is not in his contract then our leaders are not doing their job properly.

I'm not really convinced that "footballing success for Hibs" is that high on Foley's agenda.

He'll be interested in assessing the quality of Monty's coaching, get a feel of whether or not he's going to be able to develop players and how he handles giving them time in the first team. Our actual results will be secondary to him.

The Gordons, for all the criticisms we can throw at them, certainly have skin in the game and a desire for Ron's legacy to be a positive one.

Where that all cancels out, I don't know.
    I don’t either, at least not as the first thing on his list.

Can our current coaches develop players and adequately prepare them for life at Lorient or Bournemouth will be at the top of the list, and given our issues this season, I’m not sure they’d get a passing mark on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    He presumably took the job because he's ambitious and was prepared to uproot his family to help meet those ambitions. So yes, he's going to be well aware of the risks that entails.

However, the nature of a football manager's job is more cutthroat than it's ever been and it must be hard for those with young families to move them around the UK, let alone from the other side of the world. I have sympathy for him in that respect but I'd be surprised if it affected the ownership's thinking when it comes to a decision on his future. Mind you, we hear so little from them it's hard to know what they think. My guess, though, would be that they'll be very reluctant to acknowledge yet another managerial failure and will retain Monty on the basis they feel he needs longer to prove he can turn things around. He himself seemed relatively sure he was in this for the long haul when he spoke last week, although you got the impression that may have been dependent on reaching the top six.
    I must admit, I thought it was a strange move for him to make.

As a young footballer in my early 20s with few ties - of course I'd be making my way from Oz to Europe to try to progress upwards. Europe is where it's at for players.

As a Dad though, uprooting his family to come here to do a job that is notoriously short term, that's before you get onto Hibs being Hibs? I'd have been staying put for as long as possible, moving within Australia at a push.

I have a mate who stays out there and watches CCM - and there's absolutely no way you'd catch him moving back here in a million years, amazing quality of life.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    He absolutely will be. (Sadly)
    Why do people who don't know the answer keep posting this?

You don't know. Why state it as fact?

Blog Entries
    I must admit, I thought it was a strange move for him to make.

As a young footballer in my early 20s with few ties - of course I'd be making my way from Oz to Europe to try to progress upwards. Europe is where it's at for players.

As a Dad though, uprooting his family to come here to do a job that is notoriously short term, that's before you get onto Hibs being Hibs? I'd have been staying put for as long as possible, moving within Australia at a push.

I have a mate who stays out there and watches CCM - and there's absolutely no way you'd catch him moving back here in a million years, amazing quality of life.
    He's still only 42 and obviously looking to achieve things in the game. I'm assuming that his ambition would be to manage in England and coming to Scotland puts in the shop window for that. If he did well here, that gives the opportunity to secure the welfare of his family.

It may be that they wait until the next 5 weeks are over before deciding. Obv if we get 15 out of 15 (lol) that would be a better finish than 0 out of 15. It's also not clear that removing him would help the players right now in terms of confidence/maximising points.

It may also be a contractual point or sounding out successors for all that we know.

Equally he may be sacked at the exact moment I'm posting this...

Shocking that the club never acted this morning in my opinion. There is zero benefit to delaying this. He is finished now. He will never win back the trust of the fans.
    Every day we delay hurts the club and is a failure by the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think the board will take too much notice of a few moans on here.

Whether the manager stays or goes will be down to attendances in next home games and season ticket renewals .

It’s all down to pounds/pence at end of day

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Shocking that the club never acted this morning in my opinion. There is zero benefit to delaying this. He is finished now. He will never win back the trust of the fans.

I don't think this one is anything like as clearcut as Maloney or Johnston as there are potentially mitigating factors in play.

We have had no luck either with injuries or decisions this season and we have definitely improved since the January window though admittedly the results don't particularly show that.

Personally I think we probably need to change but it's not outrageous to think he might get more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

The only hope is that the owners need to have a discussion before a decision is made. Maybe that’s not been possible yet, we can live in hope. 🤞

I don't think this one is anything like as clearcut as Maloney or Johnston as there are potentially mitigating factors in play.

We have had no luck either with injuries or decisions this season and we have definitely improved since the January window though admittedly the results don't particularly show that.

Personally I think we probably need to change but it's not outrageous to think he might get more time.
    Whilst I was personally quite against Maloney and for Johnson, I don’t think either of those situations were clear cut either.

These are all tough calls, where the decision makers come under severe pressure from fans to deviate from a medium to long term plan.

@hibs.net private member

There was mitigating factors with Johnson and Maloney surely?

Johnson could point to having to try and compete in Europe at the start of this league campaign. From the previous campaign he could point to injuries, such as Nisbet being injured for the first half of the campaign, Boyle missing the last two third of the campaign and and the sale of Porteous.

Maloney could point to the sale of Boyle the minute he walked in the door, the loss of Nisbet to injury, the fact he had to play James Scott as a lone striker such was the standard of the squad.

Montgomery isn’t the only manager to have to deal with adversity.

Whilst I was personally quite against Maloney and for Johnson, I don’t think either of those situations were clear cut either.

These are all tough calls, where the decision makers come under severe pressure from fans to deviate from a medium to long term plan.
    Yep.

Maloney had absolutely horrendous attacking options whilst Lee Johnson also had a lot of injuries to deal with at times. I want to say there was a whole LJ had 9 or so players out.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Johnson could point to having to try and compete in Europe at the start of this league campaign. From the previous campaign he could point to injuries, such as Nisbet being injured for the first half of the campaign, Boyle missing the last two third of the campaign and and the sale of Porteous.

Maloney could point to the sale of Boyle the minute he walked in the door, the loss of Nisbet to injury, the fact he had to play James Scott as a lone striker such was the standard of the squad.

Think Maloney has the same kind of mitigations to point to as Montgomerry, whether this is enough to earn them more time is a different argument. I fail to see many mitigations for Johnson though. Two summers to prepare the team and 3 transfer windows while most likely spending more money than any manager in our history. All for the flimsiest of foundations - losing to every team in the league last season and the losing streaks followed by selection and formation bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post

Whether the manager stays or goes will be down to attendances in next home games and season ticket renewals .

We've lost out on a few pounds/pence by failing to make the top 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Zazu62 View Post
    Can’t just keep sacking managers, he will get the summer and and another transfer window.
    A rational response amongst the hysterical utterances on here.

NM was appointed on 11th September, so has been in place for just 7 months.

He had no previous experience of managing outside Australia.

He has had one transfer window to improve his squad, but was still hampered by the ineffective signings of previous failed managers.

Given the high number of blatantly wrong VAR decisions given against us, which prevented us finishing in the top 6, imo no other SPFL has experieced this handicap and cannot be ignored when assessing his performance.

It was not Montgomery's fault that Hibs offered him the job in the first place and there was plenty on here that favoured him.

There is not a universal public clamour for his dismissal inside the ground during matches, and hopefully the Club will stand firm and ignore the sacking chatter of those on the internet who represent a minority of those who actually pay to attend the matches.

Ah well we will soon find out.

LJ also had some horrendous VAR calls against him last season. When you think we only finished 5 points off 3rd it arguably cost us European group stage football. I feel we've taken a huge step back from then.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joebakerforever View Post

He has had one transfer window to improve his squad, but was still hampered by the ineffective signings of previous failed managers.

Given the high number of blatantly wrong VAR decisions given against us, which prevented us finishing in the top 6, imo no other SPFL has experieced this handicap and cannot be ignored when assessing his performance.

It was not Montgomery's fault that Hibs offered him the job in the first place and there was plenty on here that favoured him.

There is not a universal public clamour for his dismissal inside the ground during matches, and hopefully the Club will stand firm and ignore the sacking chatter of those on the internet who represent a minority of those who actually pay to attend the matches.
    That is a very defensive defence of his situation.

What about the lack of wins as a headline amid pretty ordinary competition, sticking rigidly to a formation that clearly wasnt working, improving any of our existing players or molding them into a system that might work. An inability to change a game that from an early stage looks like its getting away from us, curious substitutions to say the least, inability to break teams down that sit in, pedestrian paced football that often resembles a pre season friendly, i could go on.

Not impressed with Monty at all Im afraid.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post

It's more than a few moans. If the poll is anything to go by, it's 80% of users.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    It's more than a few moans. If the poll is anything to go by, it's 80% of users.
    80 per cent of people who voted.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by joebakerforever View Post

I'd agree with a lot of the points here although I think sites like this one are probably pretty representative of the views of many Hibs fans right now.

Hibs have not performed well under pressure this season so it will be interesting to see how we do in the last 5 games with a lot of the pressure off. We have obviously failed to win a lot of big games and generally drawn too many.i dont think we've lost too many games by big margins and it's been widely acknowledged by the support we've been on the wrong end of terrible refereeing decisions - often at key times.

McInnes has shown what is possible at Killie given time and a season to adapt to the league. If things pick up a bit in the remaining games, I'd rather give Montgomery more time rather than going through the process and cost of chopping and changing managers and starting from scratch all over again.