hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is he staying?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We've lost out on a few pounds/pence by failing to make the top 6.
    We've lost out on a home derby and a home game against a Glasgow club, place money and possible tv money.

We may have scraped into Europe which would have generated some cash and then you've got the kick in the nuts effect that may have an impact on season ticket sales.

It doesn't sign us Mbappe but it could go a long way towards securing us a top centre half for our level.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    He's still only 42 and obviously looking to achieve things in the game. I'm assuming that his ambition would be to manage in England and coming to Scotland puts in the shop window for that. If he did well here, that gives the opportunity to secure the welfare of his family.
    Big risk though. Failure in Scotland would leave him without a job and highly unlikely to be offered another one in the UK. Having bought a house, moved the kids into new schools etc, he faces having to reverse all that and move back to Australia where his stock would presumably still be high enough to land another job.

In other industries, such a move would more likely take the form of, say, a secondment for a certain number of years where you can plan accordingly re your family. There's no such security blanket in football management.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I'd imagine if they were going to sack him it would have been done by now so guessing he will be here until next season, thank god there's only 5 games left to go until a break!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allant1981 View Post
    I'd imagine if they were going to sack him it would have been done by now so guessing he will be here until next season, thank god there's only 5 games left to go until a break!
    I’m not convinced the fact he’s not been sacked yet means he’ll be here next season. I wouldn’t think it’s out the question it’ll be reviewed after the last game. At least that’s the hope I’m clinging to.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joebakerforever View Post
    A rational response amongst the hysterical utterances on here.

NM was appointed on 11th September, so has been in place for just 7 months.

He had no previous experience of managing outside Australia.

He has had one transfer window to improve his squad, but was still hampered by the ineffective signings of previous failed managers.

Given the high number of blatantly wrong VAR decisions given against us, which prevented us finishing in the top 6, imo no other SPFL has experieced this handicap and cannot be ignored when assessing his performance.

It was not Montgomery's fault that Hibs offered him the job in the first place and there was plenty on here that favoured him.

There is not a universal public clamour for his dismissal inside the ground during matches, and hopefully the Club will stand firm and ignore the sacking chatter of those on the internet who represent a minority of those who actually pay to attend the matches.
    I think you are bang on the money. Hibs signed a lot of players over the last few seasons that turned out to be average at best.
    Lack of goals has killed us this season we look to have a lot of good attacking players but not finishing of chances.
    I think that it is appreciated that he inherited a lot of bad signings and expect some real good players to come in.
    Remember the black knights are also on the board now it's not just up to kensell

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Big risk though. Failure in Scotland would leave him without a job and highly unlikely to be offered another one in the UK. Having bought a house, moved the kids into new schools etc, he faces having to reverse all that and move back to Australia where his stock would presumably still be high enough to land another job.

In other industries, such a move would more likely take the form of, say, a secondment for a certain number of years where you can plan accordingly re your family. There's no such security blanket in football management.
    It’s football and any time you take another managers job is a risk. I admire his ambition and his decision to back himself.

Unfortunately it’s not worked out and he’s ****ed any chance now. He’ll be back to Oz and will pick up a job no bother.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Just don't see the point in giving him the rest of the season if we’re cutting ties. Much more likely we'd just punt him and let Gray see out the season.

Gray would need to go as well as he is partly responsible

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeshibs View Post
    Gray would need to go as well as he is partly responsible
    I don’t agree, but for his own sake if and when Monty goes SDG should move on. If they somehow decide to stand by Monty it wouldn’t surprise if he moves on anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    I think you are bang on the money. Hibs signed a lot of players over the last few seasons that turned out to be average at best.
    Lack of goals has killed us this season we look to have a lot of good attacking players but not finishing of chances.
    I think that it is appreciated that he inherited a lot of bad signings and expect some real good players to come in.
    Remember the black knights are also on the board now it's not just up to kensell

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
    Definitely not lack of goals that has killed us.

It’s the awful defending - goalkeeper making howlers - playing 16 year olds at right back - 20 years old at centre back - playing 4-4-2 with no defensive midfielder to protect the back line plus the poor defending out wide.

Overall our defending has been awful and the late goals included have been a massive issue due to weak mentality.

He should have signed some defenders in January but decided to do things back to front.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    I’m not convinced the fact he’s not been sacked yet means he’ll be here next season. I wouldn’t think it’s out the question it’ll be reviewed after the last game. At least that’s the hope I’m clinging to.
    End of the season would be the perfect time to empty a manager, if that’s the intention. I don’t see the point in getting rid of the guy with five games left and bottom six football ahead. We aren’t in a relegation fight, so we don’t need a desperation sacking in the hope of staying up. It surely makes more sense to play out the season and then look at the manager’s future.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    End of the season would be the perfect time to empty a manager, if that’s the intention. I don’t see the point in getting rid of the guy with five games left and bottom six football ahead. We aren’t in a relegation fight, so we don’t need a desperation sacking in the hope of staying up. It surely makes more sense to play out the season and then look at the manager’s future.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Agreee, what's the rush ? We're not going to be relegated, we're not going to sign anyone, we don't have a ready replacement standing in the wings. There is no reason to knee-jerk and sack NM now. The Board should take their time to consider all moving parts including players out of contract, Foley new money, possible Bournemouth loans, season ticket sales and what best to do with the manager position. I'd say NM is 50/50 to be the manager next season.

It would be nonsense to sack him come the end of the season rather than now. It gives the board an extra few weeks to look for the next man before they go into the off season if they are going to part company with Monty. The next 5 games are irrelevant so it doesn't really matter who takes charge of them.

Talk on twitter (Yes, I know!) that there has been an email exchange made public and that the board are reviewing the position of the Head Coach, CEO and Senior Sporting staff.

I hope it's true.

More managers obviously available at the end of the season but I don’t see what the point of keeping him now is.

It’s a mess as it’s an important time thinking about summer plans / player contracts etc.

If the DOF is away - then again thing are left in limbo.

At the same time I wouldn’t be against a full rebuild as I don’t trust any of the people in charge right now including many of the players.

You would think Hibs would have a plan who would replace Monty but the seem to make it up as they go along and jump from one random manager to another - with different formations and styles of play.

I’m quite amazed he’s not been sacked yet - the message from the club being we accept our crap position fans keep giving us ST money.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No. Foley eill exert his influence subtly in the background.

I think he's bound to stay, the board will see that there's enough flux around the place without adding to it. They're probably thinking that although he's not been spectacular, he's not been spectacularly bad either. It is what it is, I say get behind the man.

Aberdeen have just appointed Jimmy Thelin as their new manager.

If Aberdeen do get their act together, then we could be left way behind our direct competitors (Hearts, Aberdeen for third) for next season.

Montgomery has shown nothing to retain his position, and Hibs need to act now, or next season will be a write-off too.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post

If Aberdeen do get their act together, then we could be left way behind our direct competitors (Hearts, Aberdeen for third) for next season.

Montgomery has shown nothing to retain his position, and Hibs need to act now, or next season will be a write-off too.
    Not hugely concerned at that. Done a decent job at Elfsborg but it’s not all that much better than their average league finishes.

Completely different style of football over here so we’ll see how he goes. Not saying he’s going to be crap but it’s far from a certainty he’ll be good either.

I think they will act soon. They realise the fans are hacked off with results and everyone I speak to are also hacked off with the style of play and the management. The owners may well be hatching a bigger plan looking at next season that stretches further than just the manager losing his job. At least that’s my hope. 🤞

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    I think they will act soon. They realise the fans are hacked off with results and everyone I speak to are also hacked off with the style of play and the management. The owners may well be hatching a bigger plan looking at next season that stretches further than just the manager losing his job. At least that’s my hope. 🤞
    This guy aberdeen have appointed was at elfsborg for 6 years, first season he finished up 8th they stuck with the choice and have had 2x2nd place and a 4th sometimes it doesn’t all just click into place the second you walk in the door

Talk on twitter (Yes, I know!) that there has been an email exchange made public and that the board are reviewing the position of the Head Coach, CEO and Senior Sporting staff.

I hope it's true.
    Not seen the email but talk here

https://twitter.com/scottmillar1/status/1780205103942602915?t=j-tC5mbXLXftCWE7zyH7dw&s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    This guy aberdeen have appointed was at elfsborg for 6 years, first season he finished up 8th they stuck with the choice and have had 2x2nd place and a 4th sometimes it doesn’t all just click into place the second you walk in the door
    I know that but there’s too many red flags and not enough evidence he’s up to it for me. We could be in a position to bring in some tasty players next season and I’m not confident he the right person to be in charge. He’s given us the square root of zero to give us any hope to cling onto and has failed his basic
    targets.

Maybe the new Aberdeen guy was showing good signs and the fans were happy with what they were seeing, I don’t know but I know what Monty has and hasn’t shown.

Surely if there was a leaked email it would be everywhere by now?

A review I wouldn’t say is a big deal, I say most clubs review it at the end of most seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    We've lost out on a home derby and a home game against a Glasgow club, place money and possible tv money.

We may have scraped into Europe which would have generated some cash and then you've got the kick in the nuts effect that may have an impact on season ticket sales.

It doesn't sign us Mbappe but it could go a long way towards securing us a top centre half for our level.

Lost out on more embarrassing defeats.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Surely if there was a leaked email it would be everywhere by now?

A review I wouldn’t say is a big deal, I say most clubs review it at the end of most seasons
    The investment, multi club thing and new board members would also bring in some sort of review, non story

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    The investment, multi club thing and new board members would also bring in some sort of review, non story
    Agree standard practice I would have thought.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    This argument that you should stick with it because it takes time. That X team did it and it worked for them.

It just doesnae mean anything to Hibs and Montgomery. There’s absolutely no relationship between what happened there and what’s happening here. Of course managers can get time to build something, but it has to seem like they’re building something. We’re nae better or worse than we were before him. Also, 33 games isn’t “the second you walk in the door”.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    I know that but there’s too many red flags and not enough evidence he’s up to it for me. We could be in a position to bring in some tasty players next season and I’m not confident he the right person to be in charge. He’s given us the square root of zero to give us any hope to cling onto and has failed his basic
    targets.

Maybe the new Aberdeen guy was showing good signs and the fans were happy with what they were seeing, I don’t know but I know what Monty has and hasn’t shown.
    Really does depend what context you are looking at. If you are being fair given the number of horror show decisions we have consistently had since January even allowing for not all of them changing the results we would then have been safely in top 6 likely over St Mirren. That including for e ample winning at tynecastle galvanises the whole club including the support. Genuinely reckon new goalie central defence central midfield completely changes the team. Not saying for one minute some performances St Johnstone and St Mirren haven't been very poor and struggle with some of his selections and subs however to me there is enough to allow him to revamp the squad and get full preseason rather than ripping it up and starting again.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Very good point it is a significant blow