hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is he staying?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This argument that you should stick with it because it takes time. That X team did it and it worked for them.

It just doesnae mean anything to Hibs and Montgomery. There’s absolutely no relationship between what happened there and what’s happening here. Of course managers can get time to build something, but it has to seem like they’re building something. We’re nae better or worse than we were before him. Also, 33 games isn’t “the second you walk in the door”.
    I posted yesterday that us, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee United are all clubs who have had similar levels of success this century. Combined, the 4 of us have had 60 managers. Absolutely none of us have had a manager who has started poorly to the extent Montgomery has and turned it around.

Out of all the managers who have been unarguable successes that have built something over a semi sustained period between all of the 4 clubs, they all have one thing in common, and that’s that they came straight in the door and had a fairly successful first season, showing that they’re deserving of building something. Hearts had Levein in the early 2000s, we had Mowbray, Stubbs and Lennon, Aberdeen had Calderwood and McInnes and DU had Levein, Houston and McNamara.

The fact that 60 different appointments at clubs our size can’t point to a manager who performs as bad as Montgomery has for such a sustained period but then managed to turn it round would suggest it just doesn’t happen.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 16-04-2024 at 02:40 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Unfortunately, I think he's going nowhere. As someone mentioned, Kensell and Ian Gordon will double down on this. It has been rumoured that McDermott is on his way out. That'll probably be spun that he's taking the blame for this hellish season. That'll briefly take the heat off Kensell and Gordon until we no doubt have a bad start to the season next season and we are back in a transition season.

I'm really hoping Foley shows some ruthlessness here and brings in his own man.
    Yup.

Kensell and co won't sack him, because if they do it's another admittance of a failed appointment in their regime, regardless of how much they were involved in identifying the manager.

McDermott will leave they will deflect.

Kensell should be the first to go.

Reviews are standard practice however if someone is leaking e-mails again that's disgraceful.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    We signed a manager who won the Oz league twice, with an unfashionable club who a Scottish Cup hero raved about as salvaging his career. It was a reasonable appointment, but there's always an element of a gamble.

If we signed Mcinnes and got hit with an injury crisis, the atmosphere would be toxic that the hun hoofball merchant was in charge at our club.

I'm concerned that the atmosphere has been toxic since Covid, when fans were grumbling through a 3rd place finish and 3 hampden trips and it's going to take an actual disaster to hit the reset button on whatever is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by joe breezy View Post
    Lost out on more embarrassing defeats.
    True.

But lost out on a decent few quid that could have been used to prevent similar embarrassing defeats next season.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    We signed a manager who won the Oz league twice, with an unfashionable club who a Scottish Cup hero raved about as salvaging his career. It was a reasonable appointment, but there's always an element of a gamble.

If we signed Mcinnes and got hit with an injury crisis, the atmosphere would be toxic that the hun hoofball merchant was in charge at our club.

I'm concerned that the atmosphere has been toxic since Covid, when fans were grumbling through a 3rd place finish and 3 hampden trips and it's going to take an actual disaster to hit the reset button on whatever is going on.
    I was all for Montgomery too, but he never won the league twice. He finished runner up in the league which then qualifies them for a play off type competition which they won, beating the team above them in the league 6-1 in the ‘Grand Finale’.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Really does depend what context you are looking at. If you are being fair given the number of horror show decisions we have consistently had since January even allowing for not all of them changing the results we would then have been safely in top 6 likely over St Mirren. That including for e ample winning at tynecastle galvanises the whole club including the support. Genuinely reckon new goalie central defence central midfield completely changes the team. Not saying for one minute some performances St Johnstone and St Mirren haven't been very poor and struggle with some of his selections and subs however to me there is enough to allow him to revamp the squad and get full preseason rather than ripping it up and starting again.
    We really have had bad luck and atrocious decisions but even allowing for that he’s not had one game to his name that can be put forward to say look guys, this is how we should go about games, expect more of this. Even when we went 3 up against Livi after 20 minutes he still managed to make the rest of the game an utter borefest. I just can’t handle watching his football, that may just be me but it’s what I think,

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs90 View Post
    Yup.

Kensell and co won't sack him, because if they do it's another admittance of a failed appointment in their regime, regardless of how much they were involved in identifying the manager.

McDermott will leave they will deflect.

Kensell should be the first to go.
    Or maybe, knowing much more than any of us do about what is actually going on, they believe he is the man to move us forward.

It's not always the cynical reason.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I was all for Montgomery too, but he never won the league twice. He finished runner up in the league which then qualifies them for a play off type competition which they won, beating the team above them in the league 6-1 in the ‘Grand Finale’.
    What's the point of a Grand Finale is it doesn't count as winning the league?!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This argument that you should stick with it because it takes time. That X team did it and it worked for them.

It just doesnae mean anything to Hibs and Montgomery. There’s absolutely no relationship between what happened there and what’s happening here. Of course managers can get time to build something, but it has to seem like they’re building something. We’re nae better or worse than we were before him. Also, 33 games isn’t “the second you walk in the door”.
    He won the league in his first full season in Oz after taking over mid way.

if your appointing someone on a 3 year deal on the basis of making sweeping changes at the club you should allow a period of time.

‘Shouldn’t stick with it just cause it worked for them’ name me a club who has had any sort of success sacking managers less than 12 months in to the job it’s not just them its worked for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post

if your appointing someone on a 3 year deal on the basis of making sweeping changes at the club you should allow a period of time.

‘Shouldn’t stick with it just cause it worked for them’ name me a club who has had any sort of success sacking managers less than 12 months in to the job it’s not just them its worked for.
    Kilmarnock. Wright only got one window as he was a disaster.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Or maybe, knowing much more than any of us do about what is actually going on, they believe he is the man to move us forward.

It's not always the cynical reason.
    Do Ben Kendall and Ian Gordon really know a lot more than us?

There's folk on here been watching Scottish football their whole lives, you're probably one of them, that will know a damn sight more than either of them ever will.

We've collectively been saying what the team needs for over 3 years, yet the pros running our club either can't see it or can't fix it.

They've maybe learnt, and will maybe be able to sort things out in the summer, but it's easy to see why folk are cynical about those running the club.

If anything, you could say that the people thinking everything is fine behind the scenes at ER are either blinkered or just don't want to hear it.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post

You shouldn't just allow a period of time because that was the original plan though, if it's not working you change the plan, and it's not worked, so we should change the plan.

Pedro Caixinha and Graeme Murty both had less than 12 months in the job at Rangers before getting sacked. Gerrard came in, took them to a european cup final, and won the league unbeaten.

Ipswich sacked Paul Cook after 11 months. Kieran McKenna came in and got them promoted from League 1 and they're now almost in the Prem.

Steven Gerrard got sacked after 11 months at Villa. In came Unai Emery and they've been brilliant.

I've provided the examples you asked for, but I don't think any of those things have anything to do with our situation. What's happened elsewhere, with different managers is irrelevant. I'm judging Montgomery on what's happened here only.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    Aberdeen have just appointed Jimmy Thelin as their new manager.

If Aberdeen do get their act together, then we could be left way behind our direct competitors (Hearts, Aberdeen for third) for next season.

Montgomery has shown nothing to retain his position, and Hibs need to act now, or next season will be a write-off too.
    It pains me to say this however this looks like a very likely scenario.

Talk on twitter (Yes, I know!) that there has been an email exchange made public and that the board are reviewing the position of the Head Coach, CEO and Senior Sporting staff.

I hope it's true.
    So, if true. Who is leaking the sensitive board communications? Unbelievable really.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeSince85 View Post
    So, if true. Who is leaking the sensitive board communications? Unbelievable really.
    It wouldn't be the first time that something like this has leaked out of Easter Road either.

It wouldn't be the first time that something like this has leaked out of Easter Road either.
    Yep, all too common. The board is massive for a business of our size so it could be coming from anywhere. My initial thought would be BK as he is known for his loose lips but as this seems to be discussing his position I'm not so sure now.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Do Ben Kendall and Ian Gordon really know a lot more than us?

There's folk on here been watching Scottish football their whole lives, you're probably one of them, that will know a damn sight more than either of them ever will.

We've collectively been saying what the team needs for over 3 years, yet the pros running our club either can't see it or can't fix it.

They've maybe learnt, and will maybe be able to sort things out in the summer, but it's easy to see why folk are cynical about those running the club.

If anything, you could say that the people thinking everything is fine behind the scenes at ER are either blinkered or just don't want to hear it.
    Or maybe flash is right and those working with Monty day in say out do know more than the keyboard warriors and are confident about both his plans and ability to put things right next season? You forgot that option, so I've added it here for you

You can thank me later 😘

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    It would be nonsense to sack him come the end of the season rather than now. It gives the board an extra few weeks to look for the next man before they go into the off season if they are going to part company with Monty. The next 5 games are irrelevant so it doesn't really matter who takes charge of them.
    Agree with this. Put SDG in charge. Monty is a dead man walking and keeping provides no benefit.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeSince85 View Post
    It’s not a sensitive board communication.

The leak isn’t from within the club. It’s Kensell sending a response to a fans email to him.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No idea. Melbourne City won the League (The Premiers) by finishing 11 points ahead of CCM.

He didn’t win the league, he won the Grand Final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post

The leak isn’t from within the club. It’s Kensell sending a response to a fans email to him.
    Indeed and all it really says is all the major positions within the club are constantly under review.

It's something about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by HerbDailly View Post
    I think he's bound to stay, the board will see that there's enough flux around the place without adding to it. They're probably thinking that although he's not been spectacular, he's not been spectacularly bad either. It is what it is, I say get behind the man.
    Is that really the limit of our ambition now?

He's average so let's crack on?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

It maybe doesn’t count as ‘winning the league’ but it’s the only part that really matters at the end of the season.

Those pointing out that he didn’t win the league in the hope it downplays Monty’s achievements are actually only enhancing what he did in terms of titles and honours.

Hope this is true

Kensell
    BM
    Monty away

A fresh start

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Hope this is true

Kensell
    BM
    Monty away

A fresh start
    That’s what you’ve heard? Or it’s just what you’re hoping?

If it’s related to the email that went round then I’d suggest somebody has embellished things a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post

Didn't know that, cheers.

Most folk knew Johnson was on borrowed time and shouldn't have been given the summer to then be sacked 3 games into the season.

We're in danger of repeating the same scenario only 12 months later.

It won't be long before it's another inevitable season of transition and the new man needs time, his own window etc, etc.

Rinse and repeat.

Get him out now.
    This is exactly my worry. We will have another manager coming in to exactly the same situation as faced NM... starting anew when the squad had just spent pre-season training and being drilled on the way LJ wanted to play, probably having to reassure players who'd just been recruited by a manager who promptly got sacked, then trying to work out his best formation and starting 11 in real games rather than when it should have been done in close season.

If they are minded to fire him, it should be done as quickly as possible to give whoever comes in as much time as possible to get ready for next season.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: nervous_pee
    He’ll be punted if we lose the first 2 games in the bottom 6….and if he isn’t… he f******* well should be.