hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

Season now not quite over..

Ross County’s win today puts us 9 points ahead of them and clear of the play off spot.

Things could get messy here. We’ve seen the “just one win” scenario before, and it didn’t end well.

The fact that we’re only nine points clear from the play off spot at this stage might just end up being the final confirmation that a change could be required.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Ross County and St Johnstone would probably need to win all their games to catch us (which they obviously aren’t both able to do).

We’ll undoubtedly draw a couple of games. We’ll pick a win up along the line and probably chuck in a shocker Somerset along the line.

We’re no ending up in the playoffs.

I just don't see it.

Is it possible we could go to the end of the seasons without picking up a single point? Possibly but I'd say unlikely.

Is there a hope in hell we will pick up no more points and Motherwell, Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Ross County will all pick up 3, 6, 9 and 10 points respectively? Not a chance and it only needs one of them to fail to do that for us to be safe as we currently have a cushion on all of them. Goal difference may be a factor with Motherwell and Aberdeen but with the other 2 you would need 15 and 17 goals swings and that only comes into play if they get 8 and 9 points more than us.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Said it on another thread but yesterday is now looking like an important point as I can't see us being cut from the right cloth to cope with a relegation threat.

Relatively confident we're far enough ahead but on the other hand there's no fixture I'd be utterly confident of winning.

That would be the wet dream of most Jambo’s

Do Hibs have it in them to do the spectacular of all spectaculars and end up getting relegated?

You ****ing better believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Said it on another thread but yesterday is now looking like an important point as I can't see us being cut from the right cloth to cope with a relegation threat.

Relatively confident we're far enough ahead but on the other hand there's no fixture I'd be utterly confident of winning.
    If it was tighter I'd be worried but we'll probably win them all as there really is nothing at stake.

I've more fear us now demolishing the opposition and believing that we've turned the corner/clicked into place etc, while the truth is that we can't win big games, A'deen, Huns (cups), Hearts (derbies) and St Johnstone, Motherwell (league). Lulling ourselves into a false sense of security against dross in meaningless games and reactivating a misplaced superiority complex is possibly our next trick.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I think yesterday will have shattered the players.

I can’t see their hearts being properly in it for the opening couple of games, and facing clubs who are fighting for their lives we can start the bottom six off with a couples of defeats no bother at all.

This could be Butcher II

@hibs.net private member
    I can't see both St Johnstone and Ross County getting enough points to overtake us and also Motherwell and Aberdeen getting points too. There are only so many points available. For us to end up in a play off I think we would have to lose all 5 games and even then we may well be ok. That isn't to say that the team and manager should not be thinking it is a possibility though and making sure we take care of that in the first game or two post split. I can easily see us finishing 9th though which would be embarrassing given what we have spent on our squad

Calm the **** down lads.

no danger at those sides getting points required. Stop it.

Nothing to worry about here

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    no danger at those sides getting points required. Stop it.
    I remember ready similar comments the Butcher season. Situation must be quite similar.

@hibs.net private member
    The team in 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th would all have to out point us with us having a 2, 4, 8 and 9 point head start.

Even if we lost all our games the rest would be drawing and beating each other. It’s not going to happen.

We've lost 2 of our last 9 league games, at this point even a couple of draws would do. Never getting caught by StJ and County.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    I remember ready similar comments the Butcher season. Situation must be quite similar.
    We’re pish, but the position isn’t that similar.

We were 7th at the split that season as well but only 4 points above the playoff spot then on 34 points. Teams below us were on 33, 31, 31 and 30. There wasn’t the same huge swing required. We’d also not won in 8 games leading up to the split and were in free fall.

Did it even start

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    We’re pish, but the position isn’t that similar.

We were 7th at the split that season as well but only 4 points above the playoff spot then on 34 points. Teams below us were on 33, 31, 31 and 30. There wasn’t the same huge swing required. We’d also not won in 8 games leading up to the split and were in free fall.
    Surprised it was only 4 last time, which illustrates how ridiculous the optimism of most at that time was.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

13-14 compared to 23-24. Four points ahead then, nine points ahead now. Even if we lost our remaining five games I think we'd probably be ok.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensunshine View Post
    That would be the wet dream of most Jambo’s

Do Hibs have it in them to do the spectacular of all spectaculars and end up getting relegated?

You ****ing better believe it.
    Not a chance

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    To be honest we lose the first two games after the split and Ross County on the back of this result win the next couple then it’s judt 3 points between us and the play off spot, that’s not something I think we have the character to deal with, this scenario is not as far fetched as some believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy McKirdy View Post
    To be honest we lose the first two games after the split and Ross County on the back of this result win the next couple then it’s judt 3 points between us and the play off spot, that’s not something I think we have the character to deal with, this scenario is not as far fetched as some believe.
    Ross County have won back to back games once this season asking them to win 3 on the bounce is a lot. Think everyone just needs to breathe.

And all of Motherwell, Aberdeen and St Johnstone get enough to overtake us too? We're all playing each other so all of them all getting enough points is unlikely if you're saying Ross Co win most of their games. 9 points is a big cushion at this stage. The last time we got hauled back 4 points separated 7th and 11th.

Aberdeen and St Johnstone should be worried though

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    It's absolutely nothing like the Butcher season when we were getting dominated by utter pish like Partick Thistle every week.

If St Johnstone don't win their first 2 after the split then they would occupy the play off spot rather than County and it would be minimum 6 points and maximum 8 between us and the play offs. If both of them win their first 2 games then it likely means Aberdeen or Motherwell have dropped points which is still good for us.

It's not just County we have a cushion over, all 4 need to win games to overhaul us and that means all 4 will be taking points off each other, Livi will probably factor at some point too in terms of costing teams points.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I think yesterday will have shattered the players.

I can’t see their hearts being properly in it for the opening couple of games, and facing clubs who are fighting for their lives we can start the bottom six off with a couples of defeats no bother at all.

This could be Butcher II
    Nonsence

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Its not similar. Butcher hadn't won in months, never looked like winning. We are much better than that, despite being rubbish.

You'd also have read those comments when Maloney had us bottom 6. This place was convinced we were going down. We were nowhere near it.

Ross county getting 10 points, St Johnstone getting 9 and us losing all our matches is never, ever going to happen.

Ross County and Saints would both need to beat Aberdeen. This would put Aberdeen in more danger than us.

Then they'd play eachother. If one wins, the other is ****ed.

Both would need to beat Motherwell, or at least get something. Very unlikely.

We'd need to lose at least 4 games, and draw the other. We play Livi, who are one of the worst SPL sides ever, Aberdeen at ER who haven't scored there in about 3 years, and Motherwell at home. And we'd need to lose to both Saints and Ross County.

We like the championship, we are usually quite good there and win more games than not, it will be fun. We can all pretend we are a big team.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    We like the championship, we are usually quite good there and win more games than not, it will be fun. We can all pretend we are a big team.
    Signed better players there too.

I don’t see it and regardless the Dons are just as hopeless as us, for one thing.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We've just had two must win games against St Johnstone and Motherwell and took 1 point out of 6.

Repeat that form in first two bottom 6 games and things may get a bit twitchy..