hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Simon Murray

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The right price would have to be - free
    Yes or as good as. I don't know what his contract situation is.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He hasn't been played out of position. He's been played as a striker every time I've seen him. Any good level of football requires the striker to run channels, hold it up and track back, usually into midfield. He has been found wanting when the ball has been played up to him. You only need to look at Le Fondre to see. He offers more threat, better hold up play, link up play and scores more goals. He creates his own chances and chances for others.
    I think he has in fairness , been played as a 10 which isn't his natural positions though needs must as we didn't have anyone else to play there before Marcondes was signed . Been away to deep in games for a poacher and lacked decent service too imo .

Alfie is a different striker to Vente , Ventes a poacher abit like this one from awhile back who was very good given the right service in the box were most of his goals came from . That's were Vente should be playing and provided with decent service as well.
    https://youtu.be/LsYcD8W1GrI?si=0DuPh_VD4CxBqeOG

https://youtu.be/kcrNa0ISqJI?si=WI6AcL6jVOSohYl3
    Last edited by Donegal Hibby; 19-04-2024 at 10:10 PM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    He hasn't been played out of position. He's been played as a striker every time I've seen him. Any good level of football requires the striker to run channels, hold it up and track back, usually into midfield. He has been found wanting when the ball has been played up to him. You only need to look at Le Fondre to see. He offers more threat, better hold up play, link up play and scores more goals. He creates his own chances and chances for others.
    Agree with this did not seem to have the natural predatory instinct to get on the end of things and has never looked like scoring not even close but as someone else posted did look slightly sharper towards the end of his last spell but nowhere near as dangerous or a threat as Alf

Looks a nice tidy neat hard working false nine footballer but we need him to do what he was signed to do Opposition must be happy to see him starting Maolida and Alf are more of a handful

The fact we had to go out and get Maolida tells you all you need to know

Oh as a wee aside what was with not shooting from outside the box ? Seemed to be banned for some reason Anyone that did have a pop seemed to end up in Row ZZ of the upper tier What did they do in training?
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 20-04-2024 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    I think he has in fairness , been played as a 10 which isn't his natural positions though needs must as we didn't have anyone else to play there before Marcondes was signed . Been away to deep in games for a poacher and lacked decent service too imo .

Alfie is a different striker to Vente , Ventes a poacher abit like this one from awhile back who was very good given the right service in the box were most of his goals came from . That's were Vente should be playing and provided with decent service as well.

If you play a centre half up front and give him good service, he'll score goals. Vente needs to do more without them being put on a plate. You can't get away with being a poacher in this lone striker society.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    If you play a centre half up front and give him good service, he'll score goals.
    Nah.

Simon Murray as our No 9, Ian Murray as Head Coach.

All we need now is David Murray as the CEO and Andy Murray as a Fitness Coach.

If you play a centre half up front and give him good service, he'll score goals. Vente needs to do more without them being put on a plate. You can't get away with being a poacher in this lone striker society.
    Not really , most centre Half's haven't got the scoring instinct of a striker. Vente has worked as hard as anyone in the team and covered just as much ground .

The fact that he's been played in a deeper more unfamiliar role hasn't helped which I thought was obvious enough.

I don't see why you can't get away with a poacher in your team , Man U , Sevco and other teams have .

Vente is a good striker who's just been played in the wrong position who's confidence probably was affected too .
    No doubt he will be back again , good player imo .

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/s...-hibs-28703832

Not really , most centre Half's haven't got the scoring instinct of a striker. Vente has worked as hard as anyone in the team and covered just as much ground .

The fact that he's been played in a deeper more unfamiliar role hasn't helped which I thought was obvious enough.

I don't see why you can't get away with a poacher in your team , Man U , Sevco and other teams have .

Vente is a good striker who's just been played in the wrong position who's confidence probably was affected too .
    No doubt he will be back again , good player imo .

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/s...-hibs-28703832
    When has any decent side played a poacher up front alone recently?

I hope Vente does come good. I think he might. The idea his bad form is everyone else's fault is totally false.

Spot on. I’d like to see 4-1-4-1 with vente the tip of the spear and NWM in for triantis. That formation actually gives a few options to chop and change to manage the games as they come. Just think we started wrong players.

Also maybe give Boyle a free role in the attacking mid 4 so he can link with youan and maolida better.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

I hope Vente does come good. I think he might. The idea his bad form is everyone else's fault is totally false.
    Yep. I’m staggered he gets the slack he does whilst the likes of Newell take pelters. Taking transfer fees into account he’s not kicking the arse off a “Worst value Hibs XI” starting place.

Serious question, when did he last score a goal from open play?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Yep. I’m staggered he gets the slack he does whilst the likes of Newell take pelters. Taking transfer fees into account he’s not kicking the arse off a “Worst value Hibs XI” starting place.

My guess is home to Aberdeen when Boyle squared it to him for a tap in

Someone should tell Myziane that we don't create any chances for our forwards (according to the Vente Apologists, above)

It doesn't help the VA's argument, when Myziane comes in and scores more in a month than Dylan has in a season

For what it's worth, I was excited about Vente up until the St Mirren game in the League Cup (4-2) where him and ALF had a workrate that was making life hard for defenders.

It's like he stopped doing all the good things in his game after that match. He's slowed right up, and his work off the ball dipped remarkably, and the goals stopped.

You don't know what's going on behind the scenes in people's private lives, but he has looked to me like he's been struggling since that cup game

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

He’s not done well enough. I’d no argue otherwise. He just looks a good player to me. Same with Marcondes. They have to take some responsibility for it of course, but I think under a better manager they’d be really useful good players for us.

As for Newell, one of the last players I’d be looking to change in this team.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    My guess is home to Aberdeen when Boyle squared it to him for a tap in
    That’s December, and that in itself ended a run of nine games or so without a goal.

He’s been an abysmal signing. Very bored of all the excuses made for him, he just doesn’t look like it.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    Someone should tell Myziane that we don't create any chances for our forwards (according to the Vente Apologists, above)

It doesn't help the VA's argument, when Myziane comes in and scores more in a month than Dylan has in a season

For what it's worth, I was excited about Vente up until the St Mirren game in the League Cup (4-2) where him and ALF had a workrate that was making life hard for defenders.

It's like he stopped doing all the good things in his game after that match. He's slowed right up, and his work off the ball dipped remarkably, and the goals stopped.

You don't know what's going on behind the scenes in people's private lives, but he has looked to me like he's been struggling since that cup game
    Do you see Myziane and Vente as similar types of player?

Signed, A Vente Apologist

Billy McKay at Inverness has been doing it for years , Jamie McLaren another out in Australia also though wither you would class their teams as decent is debatable .

Always thought this guy has a poachers instinct about him too when you see where alot of his goals are scored from ...
    https://youtu.be/CDtF2EUean0?si=bNYTxRGJhWeZbhQx

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    He’s not done well enough. I’d no argue otherwise. He just looks a good player to me. Same with Marcondes. They have to take some responsibility for it of course, but I think under a better manager they’d be really useful good players for us.

As for Newell, one of the last players I’d be looking to change in this team.
    I think Vente is a good player. What isn’t is a midfielder. Of course he’ll be another with a bad attitude who isn’t following instructions.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I think Vente is a good player. What isn’t is a midfielder. Of course he’ll be another with a bad attitude who isn’t following instructions.
    Think there's a player in Vente as well. Just wish he was a tiny bit quicker.

Wonder if Montgomery asked Cummings to track back and drop deep when he was CCM manager, surely not? So no idea why he expects Vente to be doing it.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Erling Haaland?

All he does is score goals - normally, a barrel load of them.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Erling Haaland?

Has it not been questioned recently if that’s enough at the elite level? Didn’t score in either leg against Madrid and sure I saw a stat that over the two legs he lost the ball more times than he made successful passes.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Has it not been questioned recently if that’s enough at the elite level? Didn’t score in either leg against Madrid and sure I saw a stat that over the two legs he lost the ball more times than he made successful passes.
    61 goals in 61 games last season to go with his treble.

“Only” 34 in 45 this season.

Anyone who thinks Haaland doesn’t do enough is mental in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Erling Haaland?

Haaland is maybe as close as it gets, but he is quicker, stronger, better in the air, and utterly deadly when given a chance. Man City also pair him with Alvarez at times, who is a top class footballer and links up brilliant.

Billy McKay at Inverness has been doing it for years , Jamie McLaren another out in Australia also though wither you would class their teams as decent is debatable .

Always thought this guy has a poachers instinct about him too when you see where alot of his goals are scored from ...
    https://youtu.be/CDtF2EUean0?si=bNYTxRGJhWeZbhQx
    You really went with billy mckay? When have inverness been decent? 9 years ago?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Simon Murray as our No 9, Ian Murray as Head Coach.

All we need now is David Murray as the CEO and Andy Murray as a Fitness Coach.
    David. Ian. Simon
    Murray, International, mental.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    He was playing to instruction, not playing off the shoulder of defenders, dropping deep with usually Boyle or Youan tasked to run in behind. You’ll know better though. Obviously missed the Celtic match where he man marked McGregor.

We’re simply not good enough in almost any other area of the pitch to have a striker who only hangs about up front and just looks to score goals.

We’re definitely not good enough to have a striker who looks to hang about up front and just score goals who isn’t of standard of this level.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Man City won the treble last season, he contributed a massive amount of goals. If that's not elite level don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    He was playing to instruction, not playing off the shoulder of defenders, dropping deep with usually Boyle or Youan tasked to run in behind. You’ll know better though. Obviously missed the Celtic match where he man marked McGregor.
    I'm not saying I know better. He was still playing as a striker. Very normal for a striker to put pressure on oppositions deepest midfielder.

None of this excuses his lack of basic control, hold up play, decent positioning when he was in the box. Again, just look at what ALF offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Man City won the treble last season, he contributed a massive amount of goals. If that's not elite level don't know what is.

As pointed out already, he scored 52 goals in total and won the English Premier League, the FA Cup and the Champions League.

How much more 'elite' could you get?

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    It’s not my argument, I was just pointing out recently there’s been debate about Hallands all round game. Probably stemming from the Madrid game stat.

I'm not saying I know better. He was still playing as a striker. Very normal for a striker to put pressure on oppositions deepest midfielder.

None of this excuses his lack of basic control, hold up play, decent positioning when he was in the box. Again, just look at what ALF offers.
    Think his general play is very good, two footed as well unlike some of his team mates. The game at Tynecastle he could have scored twice but only their good defending that night stopped him, the second a smashing back heel that luckilyfor them went straight at the defender on the line. Made a big difference when he had the new signings playing alongside him and we started making opportunities to score goals again
    Last edited by BS44; 20-04-2024 at 07:25 PM.