hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was genuinely interested to see what reasons were going to be put forward by those who wanted him to stay. Three pages in, I’m still not sure if I’ve seen a proper one.

We’ve played quite well on occasions, we’re not as bad as some are making out, and we could appoint worse, are really thin gruel.

I note that another poster had said that he’s in an ideal position to rebuild the squad this summer. I believe the club is in an ideal position to have a huge rebuild, but I think a new manager should be part of that.
    Couple of things in response. Folk at the club will get a clear sense of what type of manager he is from their day to day interaction, his planning, his reflections, his application far more than we supporters do. They'll also know how his coaching team work too. That may be pivotal if we're looking at how well approach next season.

Also, we have been shafted by decisions and even the most vehement opposer to Monty can't deny that and it's been costly. We've also struggled at times with players available with afcon and Asia cup and injuries IMO ALF was a huge miss this season for example.

Finally individual errors have been huge. And it seems like we've been disproportionately punished ie teams scoring with only shots on target and getting a draw or a win.

I expect the club to take all of this into account. Sure Monty has made mistakes...are any of us perfect at work?!

He'll be here next season...and beyond with a cup under one arm at least 😉

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    It’ll come as a relief that fans have no interest in coming to watch the utterly dreadful stuff his team delivers?

I’ll always support Hibs. I’ve no interest in spending the large sums of money, and spending the large amounts of time involved on a Nick Montgomery Hibs team. The crowds the rest of this season will reflect that I’m far from alone in thinking that.
    The low crowds that I agree will occur is a result of meaningless games as well as some like yourself losing faith. That's your right. And yeah I get it's a choice as it's not cheap to follow your team.

My point was more your tone, stating that no matter what you'll not be watching hibs under Monty. I just think as adults we can be a bit more considered and say that whilst you don't want him in charge, that if he is you'll still support the team you love?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    The low crowds that I agree will occur is a result of meaningless games as well as some like yourself losing faith. That's your right. And yeah I get it's a choice as it's not cheap to follow your team.

My point was more your tone, stating that no matter what you'll not be watching hibs under Monty. I just think as adults we can be a bit more considered and say that whilst you don't want him in charge, that if he is you'll still support the team you love?
    I never said I wouldnt support Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    I never said I wouldnt support Hibs.
    Fair enough, you didn't. Guess I was reading between the lines that as you said so strongly that you aren't going to renew with Monty in charge that it meant you weren't going back to games next season. Apologies if that's not the case!

Fair dues to Monty for going to the Event tonight . It says a lot about his character.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    Couple of things in response. Folk at the club will get a clear sense of what type of manager he is from their day to day interaction, his planning, his reflections, his application far more than we supporters do. They'll also know how his coaching team work too. That may be pivotal if we're looking at how well approach next season.

Also, we have been shafted by decisions and even the most vehement opposer to Monty can't deny that and it's been costly. We've also struggled at times with players available with afcon and Asia cup and injuries IMO ALF was a huge miss this season for example.

Finally individual errors have been huge. And it seems like we've been disproportionately punished ie teams scoring with only shots on target and getting a draw or a win.

I expect the club to take all of this into account. Sure Monty has made mistakes...are any of us perfect at work?!

He'll be here next season...and beyond with a cup under one arm at least 😉
    Ok, a few things in response also. Firstly, the type of manager he is will be determined by results, nothing else. It doesn’t matter how diligent he and is coaching team are - and I’ve absolutely no doubt that they are all putting everything into the job (but surely that’s to be expected) - if the results are poor. And they are.

All of the things you have written about VAR decisions and injuries this season, can equally be applied to LJ last season. The VAR stuff maybe slightly less, but the injuries certainly more, I would say. Johnson still managed to put a pretty strong end of the season together.

Another point about VAR. Yes we have had some shockers go against us - but we are far from alone on that front. Motherwell have had some shockers too, they can then legitimately state that they could have cost them top six. Aberdeen felt strongly enough to release a statement about VAR last week.

Injuries are a part of football, and basically none of the SPL is happy with VAR. So I see no particular strength to those arguments.

The stuff about individual errors is barely worth mentioning. Any manager can point to player errors as costing them. If Nisbet and Boyle hadn’t missed penalties then maybe Jack Ross would still be our manager. Same for Maloney if Melkersen hadn’t missed an open goal. I could go on and on.

Player errors affect results and the manager carries the can for them. It will always be the case - just as they get praise when the players they manage play well, and achieve positive results.

As for us being disproportionately punished - that just means we can’t defend and struggle to win games.

I’m not asking for a Hibs manager to be perfect - not even close to it. But I do expect much better than what I’ve seen from NM so far.

As for the board - I think that BF and the new investors will have some serious input into our decisions going forward. I seriously doubt that they’ll be swung by a litany of excuses, such as those listed above.

But of course you may well be right - time will tell.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffo View Post
    I do.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I feel that he's in a great position to revamp this squad and make it his own.

He played half a season with another managers squad and should be given more time to get together his own players.

There's no doubt going to be a big turnover in players in/out and given the recruitment that was done in Jan, I'm excited to see what happens over the summer.

I do think someone from the club should be coming out and saying he's here long term or he's not.

If they are going to replace him, they need to act now.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
    Agree with this. Don’t see the point of changing Manager at this point and hitting the reset button. We need stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    He wants them to control the game (like we did at Tynie), he wants players who can play the ball quicker, make simple 5/10 yard passes and attack whilst playing with heart and passion.

How often did we misplace passes yesterday, how often did we shirk challenges yesterday and how about not closing down their only shot on target.

That’s not his fault. He’s got plenty wrong but he’s learning quickly unfortunately he may not get the opportunity to take us forward but thankfully a lot of the players will be out on their backsides too.

The transformation will be startling.
    The transformation has been startling already; he's made Lee Johnson look like a better alternative

Have any of the folk demanding a new manager got realistic alternatives to NM ? Obviously read McInnes and Lennon threads but other than that don`t see many realistic names and stuff about Foley`s people appointing someone as though they would know a good manager makes it even more worrying . Maybe time for a bit of tranquility . Fortunately we have a few months till next season starts so have time to assess situation and not make decisions based on how one or two results panned out .

Testimonial Due
    What a difference a goal makes. First time for me at Fir Park in about 15 years. Took my 11 year old daughter and we would have celebrated top 6 qualification and cheered the team off the pitch despite it not being a great achievement, but it was something. Doubt I'll be back this season.

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Have any of the folk demanding a new manager got realistic alternatives to NM ? Obviously read McInnes and Lennon threads but other than that don`t see many realistic names and stuff about Foley`s people appointing someone as though they would know a good manager makes it even more worrying . Maybe time for a bit of tranquility . Fortunately we have a few months till next season starts so have time to assess situation and not make decisions based on how one or two results panned out .
    I’d like to think that Alec Neil would be a realistic option. I’d happily take him.

@hibs.net private member
    Tony Docherty would have to be an outside bet. Long apprenticeship with McInnes and then a brilliant start to his career with a very difficult club who have under performed for decades. His style of play is pretty front foot and Dundee are not one of the teams that play anti football which must be tempting when you have been promoted. He may also like a step up and he seems to talk well and be a decent guy. If we do change manager he may be a decent option

I’d like to think that Alec Neil would be a realistic option. I’d happily take him.
    Genuine question, do you think his track record matches up to the probable future expectations/ambitions of Bill Foley?

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Genuine question, do you think his track record matches up to the probable future expectations/ambitions of Bill Foley?
    What do you think their expectations are ?

I wouldn't trust a coach who loses multiple late goals with buying me a fish supper, let alone signing players.

That blunder could cost us our Premiership status and several million pounds. Who in their right mind would be so stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Does his record suggest that he could take Hibs to third in the league? I think so, yes.

Does his record suggest that he could take Hibs to third in the league? I think so, yes.
    Where does it suggest that? His record so far with Hibs suggests he is clueless

Was genuinely interested to see what reasons were going to be put forward by those who wanted him to stay. Three pages in, I’m still not sure if I’ve seen a proper one.

We’ve played quite well on occasions, we’re not as bad as some are making out, and we could appoint worse, are really thin gruel.

I note that another poster had said that he’s in an ideal position to rebuild the squad this summer. I believe the club is in an ideal position to have a huge rebuild, but I think a new manager should be part of that.
    Would imagine one of the main reasons is just that some fans just want to give one of our chosen managers time and a number of transfer windows. Stick with somebody for a few years, fed up of sacking managers and being on that hamster wheel.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Monty been telling some home truths?
    Yes, very much so.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound View Post
    Where does it suggest that? His record so far with Hibs suggests he is clueless
    I was talking about Alec Neil.

I was talking about Alec Neil.
    Apologies misread that

Big yes to Alex Neil

Coaching Staff
    I won’t be upset if he stays.
    I was probably the first to suggest Monty for the job on here, based on my close observations of him with. CCM.

With the benefit of hindsight, I didn’t take his overall club inexperience into account enough.

Now I look back on it I see his early mistake in trying to replicate the way the Mariners …indeed nearly all the A League teams play…..open, possession style football….something that doesn’t work when teams ‘sit in’.

He learned from that and changed things.
    One of his remits was to develop young players, and he gave a few a start…..but it cost us, and while I’m sure he will continue to nurture them…I’m pretty sure also that he won’t sacrifice many points in doing it in future.

I,’ve got no doubt if retained MontyMark 2 will be improved due to lessons learned.

Every manager will tell you that they learned something at each club they worked at and I think he learned plenty at Hibs.

It’s not all whitewash though…..I think he needs to reflect on the point that there may not be a need to make substitutes regardless at the 60th or 70th minute……..and be careful who he puts on as ‘impact’ subs…some instances have left me baffled.

He’s made mistakes…all coaches do…and those mistakes will weigh on his shoulders into next season if he remains…no question.

But the benefit of a fair dinkum summer transfer window, and a full preseason are ‘Luxuries’ he has yet to enjoy and no doubt would be a plus for him.

Guess it’s a ‘faith’ thing, I’ve seen enough of him, and got enough faith in him to support a second season…..but my instincts tell me that may not happen.

I can see why people won’t agree though, obviously.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffo View Post
    I do.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I feel that he's in a great position to revamp this squad and make it his own.

He played half a season with another managers squad and should be given more time to get together his own players.

There's no doubt going to be a big turnover in players in/out and given the recruitment that was done in Jan, I'm excited to see what happens over the summer.

I do think someone from the club should be coming out and saying he's here long term or he's not.

If they are going to replace him, they need to act now.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
    This is where I am.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I won’t be upset if he stays.
    I was probably the first to suggest Monty for the job on here, based on my close observations of him with. CCM.

With the benefit of hindsight, I didn’t take his overall club inexperience into account enough.

Now I look back on it I see his early mistake in trying to replicate the way the Mariners …indeed nearly all the A League teams play…..open, possession style football….something that doesn’t work when teams ‘sit in’.

He learned from that and changed things.
    One of his remits was to develop young players, and he gave a few a start…..but it cost us, and while I’m sure he will continue to nurture them…I’m pretty sure also that he won’t sacrifice many points in doing it in future.

I,’ve got no doubt if retained MontyMark 2 will be improved due to lessons learned.

Every manager will tell you that they learned something at each club they worked at and I think he learned plenty at Hibs.

It’s not all whitewash though…..I think he needs to reflect on the point that there may not be a need to make substitutes regardless at the 60th or 70th minute……..and be careful who he puts on as ‘impact’ subs…some instances have left me baffled.

He’s made mistakes…all coaches do…and those mistakes will weigh on his shoulders into next season if he remains…no question.

But the benefit of a fair dinkum summer transfer window, and a full preseason are ‘Luxuries’ he has yet to enjoy and no doubt would be a plus for him.

Guess it’s a ‘faith’ thing, I’ve seen enough of him, and got enough faith in him to support a second season…..but my instincts tell me that may not happen.

I can see why people won’t agree though, obviously.
    Good post agree with that it does equate to a bit of a gut feel that if he can clear out and bring in more it will get better however as you say that won't be an opinion shared by all.

Personally, I'd keep him. For most of the reasons that Biffo said too.

I think he has capacity to improve with more time that I'm willing to give him.

It's all going to change come summer with a big revamp. I'd rather go into that revamp with stability and strategy than square one.

However, I too feel, that the club need to speak asap, like today, to gain control of the situation - back him or sack him now

Stability is required. We can’t keep punting managers every 6 months otherwise we’ll never be out of the so called “transitional period”

The reason we never got top 6 is that defence. So many late goals conceded due to the keystone cops across the backline mixed with a suspect keeper.

He improves those areas and somehow keeps hold of Myziane then we could come good. I fear the chance of the latter has now diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    I wouldn't trust a coach who loses multiple late goals with buying me a fish supper, let alone signing players.

That blunder could cost us our Premiership status and several million pounds. Who in their right mind would be so stupid?
    So everyone who wants him to stay is stupid?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    If Alan Stubbs had taken over the team that we had six months before his arrival as opposed to having something approaching a clean slate to build a new era, he would likely have gotten the sack in the summer.

The team is filled full of Ian Gordon approved failures that aren’t suited to this league. So much deadwood to shift before we can get a clear idea of what any manager wants to do.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction