hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. Newell having a decent season makes him a good player.

I expect more from every player. Marshall was captain last season and was abysmal. At least Newell had been good.

Joe gets a wildly disproportionate amount of stick. Not seen a single post about Boyle again today. Absolutely *****, for the second week running.
    I think Newell has been pretty meh to be fair. The odd game here and there but has not led by example and deserves to be criticised. As do others and they have.

Boyle, Miller, Marshall, Fish, Levitt, Youan and probably others have been poor over periods this season.

I just don’t see how he’s been good for any sustained period this season. The odd game here and there but I just don’t see it. He set the standard v Luzern and it’s never been duplicated as far as I’m concerned.

He’s the Captain and part of the team that has us playing bottom 6.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    I think Newell has been pretty meh to be fair. The odd game here and there but has not led by example and deserves to be criticised. As do others and they have.

Boyle, Miller, Marshall, Fish, Levitt, Youan and probably others have been poor over periods this season.

I just don’t see how he’s been good for any sustained period this season. The odd game here and there but I just don’t see it. He set the standard v Luzern and it’s never been duplicated as far as I’m concerned.

https://www.sofascore.com/team/football/hibernian/2354

Totally unbiased website has him comfortably our highest rated and most consistent player this season. I'd say Fish a little high, Obita a little low, but otherwise, those ratings are quite fair. Boyle miles off it too.

Many I'd be getting rid of before Newell.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Totally unbiased website has him comfortably our highest rated and most consistent player this season. I'd say Fish a little high, Obita a little low, but otherwise, those ratings are quite fair. Boyle miles off it too.

Fish has been better than Maolida and our second best player this season? I’d take however they are calculating those scores with a pinch of salt.

I don’t disagree that plenty need to move and although he may top the charts as Hibs best player but he still been poor. He’s the best of a bad bunch and doesn’t do enough.

Stats don’t show everything.

Desire, drive and leadership are missing most weeks.

Fair and accurate assessment IMO.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Fish has been better than Maolida and our second best player this season? I’d take however they are calculating those scores with a pinch of salt.
    Here is how it works:

Sofascore ratings are product of an computer algorithm with deeply thought parameters...

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

Imagine using sofascore ratings to try and justify your position, how embarrassing. Couldn’t be me.

Coaching Staff

Yet the stats won’t say he’s won very very few derbies might only be two and one as a late sub?), very few semi finals or finals, only a couple of top 6 finishes, scored a miserable amount of goals for a midfielder (he might be on 9 goals in 5 seasons??), never raises his game in must wins, and can’t inspire those around him as club captain 👍 I want him gone with many others, he’s a perennial loser and perfectly epitomises where we are as a team on the pitch - a right uninspiring soft touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Imagine using sofascore ratings to try and justify your position, how embarrassing. Couldn’t be me.
    I'm just using it to show he isn't some dreadful player who is playing against us every week. We have many to get rid of before Newell. Do that, and I'm talking 15 players at least, and then we can discuss him.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    I'm just using it to show he isn't some dreadful player who is playing against us every week. We have many to get rid of before Newell. Do that, and I'm talking 15 players at least, and then we can discuss him.
    Newell will be one of the highest earners in our squad. You can’t bring in better players without freeing up space in the budget to pay them. Getting rid of low earners only makes room to bring in low earners.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Yet the stats won’t say he’s won very very few derbies might only be two and one as a late sub?), very few semi finals or finals, only a couple of top 6 finishes, scored a miserable amount of goals for a midfielder (he might be on 9 goals in 5 seasons??), never raises his game in must wins, and can’t inspire those around him as club captain 👍 I want him gone with many others, he’s a perennial loser and perfectly epitomises where we are as a team on the pitch - a right uninspiring soft touch !!
    He joins all of our other players who have won few derbies and very few semis. I'd imagine Joe Newells 2 semi final wins actually puts him above many, many players in our history.

Very few finals. Yeah, duh. We've only won 6 in our history.

He finished 3rd playing every week.

Scores a good number of goals for his position. Are you expecting ****ing 15 a season from a deep midfielder?

He often raises his game in must wins. The thing is, once we've won them, no one remembers. All games are must win if you have any aspirations.

How do you know he doesn't inspire his teammates? Genuinely? We might be much worse without him? Gray lost plenty big games. So did Jones. So did Stanton. Better captains, maybe? Absolutely perfect? No chance.

I don't think he epitomizes us at all. If all our players were as good as Newell, we'd be comfortably top 6.

Its Boyle, Marshall, Fish, and Vente who have let us down big time this season IMO. If any 2 of those had had good seasons, we'd be much better off.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Newell will be one of the highest earners in our squad. You can’t bring in better players without freeing up space in the budget to pay them. Getting rid of low earners only makes room to bring in low earners.
    I agree. Get rid of the various other crap high earners first. Boyle, Marshall, Vente to start.

I agree. Get rid of the various other crap high earners first. Boyle, Marshall, Vente to start.
    Is Marshall a high earner?

I hadn't thought about it but spot on.

We failed to reach top 6 by 2 points and we've only picked up 5 from the last 15!

We need a presence who'll step up and get more out of those around him and pull us over the line.

Coaching Staff
    He joins all of our other players who have won few derbies and very few semis. I'd imagine Joe Newells 2 semi final wins actually puts him above many, many players in our history.

Scores a good number of goals for his position. Are you expecting ****ing 15 a season from a deep midfielder?

He often raises his game in must wins. The thing is, once we've won them, no one remembers. All games are must win if you have any aspirations.

How do you know he doesn't inspire his teammates? Genuinely? We might be much worse without him? Gray lost plenty big games. So did Jones. So did Stanton. Better captains, maybe? Absolutely perfect? No chance.

I don't think he epitomizes us at all. If all our players were as good as Newell, we'd be comfortably top 6.

Its Boyle, Marshall, Fish, and Vente who have let us down big time this season IMO. If any 2 of those had had good seasons, we'd be much better off.
    Don’t ever ever compare Joe Newell to Pat Stanton 😂 ever !! In any shape or form. In fact don’t even compare him against Rob and David either 😂 all three cup winning captains and truly inspirational “leaders” on and off the pitch. Joe can’t and will never ever lace their boots when it comes to leadership and captaincy of this club.

Vente let us down by being played in midfield all season? Newell has been ok to poor this season. He had one great game in Europe then failed to match that level of performance. He doesn't raise his game in must wins as shown by the previous two games alone! He only plays well when the game is going in our favour. Don't talk about semi finals as he had the stupidest red card in a semi final you're ever likely to see!
    He's a poor player and an even poorer captain. Just because there are worse players on the books, who dont play, doesn't mean newells position at the club shouldn't be looked at. Also he's averaging 1 league goal a season. For playing almost every minute of every game I'd say thats a very poor return.

Regarding Newell - ask yourself this..will he move onto a bigger club after Hibs who will pay him as much?

I would say no.

So he’s a prime example of a player knowing this is his highest pay check. Comfortable to be here and happy to give as best he can.

Newell came in as winger to Hibs…a winger !! He then moved to centre midfield. The problem is he doesn’t tackle enough - isn’t quick enough and also doesn’t score enough or assist enough.

He’s another nice guy but sadly I do think we need better and more leadership if we are to progress.

First Team Regular
    The question of whether Newell is a good player and the question of whether he’s a natural leader on the park are two different questions. I’d say yes to the first and no to the second.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-new...ical-director/

Just watching Bournemouth v United highlights and this was pointed out

Wonder if Hughes ex Scottish footballer is maybe leaving due to fresh eyes in Bournemouth and maybe getting moved to Hibs

Might be nothing in it at all

Just putting 2 + 2 together with McDermott probs leaving

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post

Wonder if Hughes ex Scottish footballer is maybe leaving due to fresh eyes in Bournemouth and maybe getting moved to Hibs

He’s been spoken about for Newcastle and Man Utd amongst others. He’s not in our league.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    He’s been spoken about for Newcastle and Man Utd amongst others. He’s not in our league.
    Never done any research to be fair

Fair enough

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Don’t ever ever compare Joe Newell to Pat Stanton 😂 ever !! In any shape or form. In fact don’t even compare him against Rob and David either 😂 all three cup winning captains and truly inspirational “leaders” on and off the pitch. Joe can’t and will never ever lace their boots when it comes to leadership and captaincy of this club.
    I'll compare whatever I like thanks.

Gray had as many awful results as captain as Newell ever could. Good player, good captain. Where was his inspirational leadership as we failed twice to get promoted?

Quote Originally Posted by Boyle89 View Post
    Vente let us down by being played in midfield all season? Newell has been ok to poor this season. He had one great game in Europe then failed to match that level of performance. He doesn't raise his game in must wins as shown by the previous two games alone! He only plays well when the game is going in our favour. Don't talk about semi finals as he had the stupidest red card in a semi final you're ever likely to see!
    He's a poor player and an even poorer captain. Just because there are worse players on the books, who dont play, doesn't mean newells position at the club shouldn't be looked at. Also he's averaging 1 league goal a season. For playing almost every minute of every game I'd say thats a very poor return.
    Vente let us down by being crap all season.

Newell has been good this season. Stats show that quite clearly.

He has 4 goals 9 assists this season. An excellent contribution from midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post

Richard Hughes is the new Technical Director at Liverpool and takes up the role at the end of the 23/24 season

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

What’s the break down between open play and set pieces? How do his stats from open play compare to say Levitt, who has 2 goals and 2 assists this season?

Where was his inspirational leadership as we failed twice to get promoted?
    On top of a golden bus.

Scoring in Copenhagen, against a serious European outfit.

Newell will never be on an open top bus, and scores in places like Andorra, or other pub venues like Elgin

We’ve had 5 years of his ‘excellent stats’ - more than enough. Bin.

I'll compare whatever I like thanks.

Gray had as many awful results as captain as Newell ever could. Good player, good captain. Where was his inspirational leadership as we failed twice to get promoted?

Gray wasn't captain in his first season at the club.

Richard Hughes is the new Technical Director at Liverpool and takes up the role at the end of the 23/24 season
    Surely if we came calling he’d have a re-think

👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by SickBoy32 View Post
    On top of a golden bus.

Scoring in Copenhagen, against a serious European outfit.

Newell will never be on an open top bus, and scores in places like Andorra, or other pub venues like Elgin

We’ve had 5 years of his ‘excellent stats’ - more than enough. Bin.
    Newell scored against Luzern?

Newell not winning a trophy here doesn't make him a crap player. Remembered he's played 5 seasons in the top league as well. Gray played less than 1/3rd of his games at Hibs in the top flight.

Vente in a decent team under a decent manager and given the service will score goals. Not sitting on the half way line marking a midfield player.

His link up play and through ball for MM goal v County was brilliant. He needs to play to his strengths. Why pay all that money for a player and do play him correctly.

As for Newell, you will never concede that he’s been very a mediocre (as have others) over the season. I can see what’s in front of me and use the Luzcern game is the standard I expect from him every game or at least try to show that’s the case. You cannot tell me you are happy with his performances because an algorithm tells you he passes a ball square or back a dozen times a game.

Just how I see it.