hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't think anyone says he is a great captain. He's a good player, though.

Where is David Gray in all this? Folk think of him as an inspirational leader. Surely he can do that as a coach too?
    I think it’s time for either Gray to step up and get the job or go altogether, agree with your statement re him being an inspirational leader though.

On Newell, I’m getting less and less convinced at how good a player he is, if/when Monty goes that’ll be his 5th manager he’s seen off since 2019.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance1875 View Post
    I think it’s time for either Gray to step up and get the job or go altogether, agree with your statement re him being an inspirational leader though.

On Newell, I’m getting less and less convinced at how good a player he is, if/when Monty goes that’ll be his 5th manager he’s seen off since 2019.
    Does that mean anything, though?

How many did Del Piero see off at Juventus? Was that his fault? Newell has been one of our better player this season. Get rid of the rubbish ones first, and there is many.

I think Gray is a consistent part of a failure on the pitch as much as anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by LewysGot2 View Post
    Yup. Agree.

I'm a bit lost re the narrative otherwise. They all looked gutted. In fact, on the trip home, Kettlewell was on the radio that there had been 22 devastated players on the pitch at the end.
    Much as I think the players are pish, I agree with this. Marcondes even stormed about having a wee tantrum which was about as much as he did all day.

You don’t get stats for leadership so the guys in recruitment are just finding high pass % or other stats.

Would rather have less skilful players but players with mental toughness to see games out / grind results out / win derbies.

@hibs.net private member
    Don't think anyone says he is a great captain. He's a good player, though.

Where is David Gray in all this? Folk think of him as an inspirational leader. Surely he can do that as a coach too?
    “We do a huddle in the warm-up and David Gray gives us a little pep talk. It's something that has happened since the manager came in; Dave has took it on.

“For me, when we’re in the changing room before the game and getting ready that’s a bit calmer. But after the warm- up it is a bit more intense and you’re shouting your cliches and enthusiastic lines. You’re getting everyone up for it and making sure everyone knows their jobs as well, which is important."

Direct quote from Newell’s interview with the Hibs Observer during the week.

Joe Newell and Paul Hanlon trying to outdo each other as the biggest bottle job captains we’ve ever had.

No wonder were soft touches when they’re meant to be the leaders

Promising Youngster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    The Motherwell players looked gutted that they missed the last winner. Heads in hands, collapsed on pitch at the final whistle. The Hibs players look like they wanted their phones to book Ibiza and a table in George St.
    That’s not true - look at the whole teams reaction when the Motherwell goal went in.

George Street - I mean come on. 20 year ago stuff mate. As others have said, the reactions of both teams were near identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphys Touch View Post
    That’s not true - look at the whole teams reaction when the Motherwell goal went in.

George Street - I mean come on. 20 year ago stuff mate. As others have said, the reactions of both teams were near identical.
    Bull**** 20 years ago. We have a good portion of our squad on George St regularly. Boy band pretty boy mentality. Bunch of weak losers. Joe Newell included.

Quote Originally Posted by CL0762 View Post
    “We do a huddle in the warm-up and David Gray gives us a little pep talk. It's something that has happened since the manager came in; Dave has took it on.

“For me, when we’re in the changing room before the game and getting ready that’s a bit calmer. But after the warm- up it is a bit more intense and you’re shouting your cliches and enthusiastic lines. You’re getting everyone up for it and making sure everyone knows their jobs as well, which is important."

Whatever is said it certainly doesn’t ‘get everyone up for it’ because we very, very rarely start a game quickly. It’s one of those things that is just all for show.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Does that mean anything, though?

How many did Del Piero see off at Juventus? Was that his fault? Newell has been one of our better player this season. Get rid of the rubbish ones first, and there is many.

I think Gray is a consistent part of a failure on the pitch as much as anyone.
    Dunno, was it more than the amount of trophies he helped them win?

IMG_2888.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CL0762 View Post

Working wonders it seems

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Whatever is said it certainly doesn’t ‘get everyone up for it’ because we very, very rarely start a game quickly. It’s one of those things that is just all for show.
    Gray shouldn’t get off the hook lightly because he’s a Hibs legend. He’s now been part of a back room staff that has seen off 3 managers, potentially a 4th soon. What is he actually responsible for?

Promising Youngster
    Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    Bull**** 20 years ago. We have a good portion of our squad on George St regularly. Boy band pretty boy mentality. Bunch of weak losers. Joe Newell included.
    I was more getting at the “players didn’t feel gutted and were too interested in booking tables on George Street” comment

Employee does things out of work time….every bloody supporter in the land must moan about that then.

Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    ''you like a drink, you must be in a boy band''

What a dumb thing to say.

Tell you who started signing weak losers again. Neil Lennon.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance1875 View Post
    Joe Newell is no captain material for me, been through too many hard luck stories with us
    Thought today he was very good

Quote Originally Posted by GordonHFC View Post
    There's not one of these players I would want at ER next season. Gut the lot of them
    That Maolida is pish eh🙈

The wee huddle after warm up / pre kick off - just bin that **** now too

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    It’s nonexistent.

Three times in the first half Motherwell had to play a short corner as the ball wouldn’t stay still in the wind. All three times we didn’t get a second man over to defend them. It’s school boy stuff but nobody takes responsibility for organising us.
    That was genuinely laughable for a professional team

Posted this on another thread, but pertinent here also. Not sure how normal this is but here's the data for games won and lost in injury time. When we need to manage a game we struggle. That comes from the substitutions we make but the in game decisions players are making. Zero leadership

Matchday 1 - 89th minute winner for st mirren
    Matchday 12 - 92nd min equaliser for St Mirren
    Matchday 20 - 93rd min winner for Hearts
    Matchday 25 - 92nd min winner for Celtic
    Matchday 19 (rearranged) - 98th min equaliser for County
    Matchday 33 - 94th min equaliser for motherwell

For comparison
    Matchday 22 - 91st minute equaliser vs Motherwell

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Thought today he was very good
    With standards that low you’ve got the Hibs team you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    With standards that low you’ve got the Hibs team you deserve.
    Was one of his better games imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Was one of his better games imo.
    Says it all. Newell can go. Not captain material either

Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Says it all. Newell can go. Not captain material either
    I assume all our other midfielders can go to? Since he is pretty clearly the best one. I'm all for it if we can sign better. Probably wise to keep him, though.

I assume all our other midfielders can go to? Since he is pretty clearly the best one. I'm all for it if we can sign better. Probably wise to keep him, though.
    Don’t threaten me with a good time.

I’d imagine there would be few tears shed if Campbell, JDH, Kenneh, Henderson and the like were shipped out too. Those players being ***** doesn’t make Newell a better player.

Just watched the equaliser goal and surely Newell or Levitt could get out to make a block?

Would replace Newell as captain - we need better if we want to progress.

I wouldn’t. He’s definitely not a leader and should not be Captain.

If you think he does enough during games then that’s your opinion. I expect a lot more from the Captain and a player of his supposed talent. Folk say where would we be without him but we all know where we are with him.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    ''you like a drink, you must be in a boy band''

What a dumb thing to say.

Tell you who started signing weak losers again. Neil Lennon.
    I'm sure you said before that pro football players should never be drunk? I personally dont agree with that, however Newell is a known pisshead. How do you feel about that?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Just watched the equaliser goal and surely Newell or Levitt could get out to make a block?

Would replace Newell as captain - we need better if we want to progress.
    Marcondes and Obita both further ahead in that queue...

Obita lost his man.

I’d imagine there would be few tears shed if Campbell, JDH, Kenneh, Henderson and the like were shipped out too. Those players being ***** doesn’t make Newell a better player.
    No. Newell having a decent season makes him a good player.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    I wouldn’t. He’s definitely not a leader and should not be Captain.

If you think he does enough during games then that’s your opinion. I expect a lot more from the Captain and a player of his supposed talent. Folk say where would we be without him but we all know where we are with him.
    I expect more from every player. Marshall was captain last season and was abysmal. At least Newell had been good.

Joe gets a wildly disproportionate amount of stick. Not seen a single post about Boyle again today. Absolutely *****, for the second week running.

Cheers for reminding me that we still have a couple of them on our books who will come back in the summer. That’s right cheered me up.