hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Leadership on the park

Totally absent and has been for some time. Whether Montgomery stays or goes, this has to be a priority.
    This has to be the leading criteria in our next few signings. No point in bringing in talented young players with potential if you have no-one that shows leadership on the park week in week out.
    We have not one player in our squad with this quality

2. Log in to remove the advert

Joe Newell is no captain material for me, been through too many hard luck stories with us

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    We don't just need a captain but each player we sign going forward needs to be the type that shows a bit of passion to win. We've got too many players like Youan that just don't have it in them

Blindingly obvious. We need to look at signings like Stubbs did.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    There's not one of these players I would want at ER next season. Gut the lot of them

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We don't just need a captain but each player we sign going forward needs to be the type that shows a bit of passion to win. We've got too many players like Youan that just don't have it in them
    I'm going to come across like Youan best pal for defending him again, but if he had McGregor or Gray barking at him, I think we'd see more output. I saw a headline of a video interview with him saying Hibs were like a family after Monty's appointment. He probably needs to be telt once in a while and maybe Johnson got that.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I think we should have some.

Doubt the football on the pitch bit is that far up the list at Hibs though.

Cheerleaders, giant foam hands and playing partners with our new pals at Bournemouth Falcons or whatever they are called seems to be the kind of stuff getting in the way of a competetive organised Hibs team.

The heirarchy are dreaming the dream.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

It’s nonexistent.

Three times in the first half Motherwell had to play a short corner as the ball wouldn’t stay still in the wind. All three times we didn’t get a second man over to defend them. It’s school boy stuff but nobody takes responsibility for organising us.

We need leadership at the side too.

Monty, Johnson and Maloney all don’t strike me as managers who are leaders and the players take seriously or are particularly scared of. Johnson the best out the lot.

Ross, Lennon etc for all their flaws, had a presence and would make the players listen.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    We need leadership at the side too.

Monty, Johnson and Maloney all don’t strike me as managers who are leaders and the players take seriously or are particularly scared of. Johnson the best out the lot.

Ross, Lennon etc for all their flaws, had a presence and would make the players listen.
    spot on.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance1875 View Post
    Joe Newell is no captain material for me, been through too many hard luck stories with us
    Careful you’ll shortly have folk on here trying to gaslight you into believing Joe Newell is a brilliant captain and we are lucky to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by heid the baw View Post
    Totally absent and has been for some time. Whether Montgomery stays or goes, this has to be a priority.
    This has to be the leading criteria in our next few signings. No point in bringing in talented young players with potential if you have no-one that shows leadership on the park week in week out.
    We have not one player in our squad with this quality
    Guy who looks after the pitch has more leadership qualities.

"Super" Joe Newell has flattered to deceive ever since he was signed. A bang average player with the heart of a mouse. Has to go down as our worst ever Captain. Every time a key game comes along he goes AWOL. Needs to be the 1st out the door in the summer. Boyle can go with him as far as I'm concerned. Hes been rotten ever since we resigned him.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Careful you’ll shortly have folk on here trying to gaslight you into believing Joe Newell is a brilliant captain and we are lucky to have him.
    Agree completely. Far too often I read on here that “we will miss him when he does move on” etc.

In all honesty, there’s too many games when I don’t notice him when he’s there!

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    It’s nonexistent.

Three times in the first half Motherwell had to play a short corner as the ball wouldn’t stay still in the wind. All three times we didn’t get a second man over to defend them. It’s school boy stuff but nobody takes responsibility for organising us.
    Lost count the amount of times I highlighted this.

Amateur stuff, and sums Hibs up.

It’s nonexistent.

I said this on the match day thread, absolute madness

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance1875 View Post
    Agree completely. Far too often I read on here that “we will miss him when he does move on” etc.

In all honesty, there’s too many games when I don’t notice him when he’s there!
    The good thing is someone will give us a couple of hundred grand to take him off our hands 👍

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Newell had another stinker today unfortunately.

Does anyone know if he's playing through an injury? I know he's not the quickest but he's looked a few yards off it the last few matches. Really poor stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    The good thing is someone will give us a couple of hundred grand to take him off our hands 👍
    Hope so! Would be good business and a start to the clear out!

First Team Breakthrough
    It’s nonexistent.

To be fair, the exact same thing happened in reverse in the 2nd half with us taking short ones and them only have one guy out. Think it's the current trend for defending corners.

Promising Youngster
    We had 1 or 2 decent players through the Calderwood, Fenlon, Butcher nightmares but the best thing that happened for Stubbs was he inherited 7 first team players so that loser mentality went quite quickly.

Newell, JDH, Hanlon, Stephenson, Gray, Campbell (whisper it but maybe even Boyle) need to go and freshen the place up. No harm to them, great servants, some unbelievable legends - the likes we won’t see again.

As someone said above - Hopefully Foley brings in a structure, knowledge and data set up like George Craig, Dempster and Stubbs had. We brought some really top players to the club but also top personalities. You just look at Fontaine’s recent retirement post as an example

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I suppose anything is possible when you consider we got a reported 7 figures for Melkerson. Can’t imagine there will be a long queue for a 31 year old with his CV though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rude View Post
    To be fair, the exact same thing happened in reverse in the 2nd half with us taking short ones and them only have one guy out. Think it's the current trend for defending corners.
    The first one but then they put two out. We we got a third man out in Boyle (to give another option to Newell and Youan).

We just watched them do the same thing three times in the space of about 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Newell had another stinker today unfortunately.

Does anyone know if he's playing through an injury? I know he's not the quickest but he's looked a few yards off it the last few matches. Really poor stuff.
    He is not what is required to take the club forward. At the same time, he should be banned from spouting off to the bloody evening news, before games as well.

The Motherwell players looked gutted that they missed the last winner. Heads in hands, collapsed on pitch at the final whistle. The Hibs players look like they wanted their phones to book Ibiza and a table in George St.

I’d be amazed if this did something that improves with the Foley era, given we’ll likely primarily be a stopping point for rookie loan players.

The players still under contract for next season don’t exactly fill you with hope re there being a bank of mental fortitude already at the club.

The reaction of the Motherwell players opposed to our players when the final whistle went tells you everything.

Don't think anyone says he is a great captain. He's a good player, though.

Where is David Gray in all this? Folk think of him as an inspirational leader. Surely he can do that as a coach too?

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    The reaction of the Motherwell players opposed to our players when the final whistle went tells you everything.
    Both sets of players went down to the ground. Identical reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Both sets of players went down to the ground. Identical reactions.
    Yup. Agree.

I'm a bit lost re the narrative otherwise. They all looked gutted. In fact, on the trip home, Kettlewell was on the radio that there had been 22 devastated players on the pitch at the end.