hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Much bigger problems ahead for our club

I was brought up on home-grown players in the Hibs of the 60s and 70s Scottish guys led by Scottish managers like Stein and Turnbull.

My sons were raised on the Hibs of the Mowbray and Collins era. CIS cup and some exciting play on the park. The squad was a blend of British and Irish lads who were comfortable in the SPL.

The home grown squad assembled by George Craig, Mathie and Stubbs won us the cup and Lennon carried on where they left off. Jack Ross had the best top division win percentage for 50 years.

However, when Dempster left and Ross was prematurely sacked, we started to go backwards. And more disastrously our reputation as a stable club started to suffer.

After three failed Head Coach recruitments, constant player churns, poor squad rebuilds, an over-reliance on foreign loanees and a tendency to sign 'soft' players why would ANY experienced manager want to come here?

Last time out we were so short of good quality candidates that Ben and Ian had to go to the A leagues for a coach. Monty couldn't even do the simple things right, any more than our directors could (and that includes the invisible DOF).

The way I see it, we will struggle to sign any home-based coaches or players suitable for the SPL. It makes me sad to say that no career-minded individual would choose a basket case like Hibs right now.

The only man in the Scottish media who seems to understand the extent of Hibs' downward spiral atm is Michael Stewart. He has spoken his mind on Ian Gordon's role, VAR, referees and calls a spade a spade about Hibs soft underbelly.

Dreamers can talk about signing McInnes or Robinson but that's laughable nonsense. Hearts have done the right thing by building a team suitable for the SPL, with a coach who understands the club and the Scottish game. Unless our owners follow that lead I fear a relegation fight next season.

There are more problems ahead than behind us.

2. Log in to remove the advert

"The home grown squad assembled by George Craig, Mathie and Stubbs won us the cup"

Logan

Fontaine
    HANLON
    McGregor

Gray
    McGeouch
    Fyvie
    MCginn
    STEVENSON

Stokes
    CUMMINGS

& not a single home grown player on the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was brought up on home-grown players in the Hibs of the 60s and 70s Scottish guys led by Scottish managers like Stein and Turnbull.

My sons were raised on the Hibs of the Mowbray and Collins era. CIS cup and some exciting play on the park. The squad was a blend of British and Irish lads who were comfortable in the SPL.

The home grown squad assembled by George Craig, Mathie and Stubbs won us the cup and Lennon carried on where they left off. Jack Ross had the best top division win percentage for 50 years.

However, when Dempster left and Ross was prematurely sacked, we started to go backwards. And more disastrously our reputation as a stable club started to suffer.

After three failed Head Coach recruitments, constant player churns, poor squad rebuilds, an over-reliance on foreign loanees and a tendency to sign 'soft' players why would ANY experienced manager want to come here?

Last time out we were so short of good quality candidates that Ben and Ian had to go to the A leagues for a coach. Monty couldn't even do the simple things right, any more than our directors could (and that includes the invisible DOF).

The way I see it, we will struggle to sign any home-based coaches or players suitable for the SPL. It makes me sad to say that no career-minded individual would choose a basket case like Hibs right now.

The only man in the Scottish media who seems to understand the extent of Hibs' downward spiral atm is Michael Stewart. He has spoken his mind on Ian Gordon's role, VAR, referees and calls a spade a spade about Hibs soft underbelly.

Dreamers can talk about signing McInnes or Robinson but that's laughable nonsense. Hearts have done the right thing by building a team suitable for the SPL, with a coach who understands the club and the Scottish game. Unless our owners follow that lead I fear a relegation fight next season.

Unfortunately I tend to agree. The issue is far deeper than the manager. It comes down to leadership and culture. The club's leadership don't ooze confidence or self belief. Your points about local guys brought through the ranks oreviously is imporant too- that is being swapped and probably increasingly so for highly paid mercenaries many of whom might simply be on loan. Hard to build either culturer or affinity that way.

Lets see what changes Fowley brings but broadly trhink your analysis is pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine&Caviar View Post
    "The home grown squad assembled by George Craig, Mathie and Stubbs won us the cup"

Logan

Fontaine
    HANLON
    McGregor

Gray
    McGeouch
    Fyvie
    MCginn
    STEVENSON

Stokes
    CUMMINGS

They’re not homegrown in the sense that they came through at Hibs. But it was a team that understood the game here. Most of our half decent teams over the years have been similar. Helped there were some good players in there as well like.

How could you miss out Bob Shankly, fine manager who only left because every time he built a team the chairman Harrower sold the gems off. Although Stein was only with us for just over half a season I often wonder what would have happened if we could have kept him longer. Football eh all if's an buts. Stein built a team to win the European cup with no player further than 30 miles from Darkheid.

@hibs.net private member
    I think the downturn in fortunes started when George Craig left rather than Leeann.

I would like to see Michael Stewart as Director of Football as he would stand up for us with SFA and develop a winning mentality. Knows the Scottish game inside out.

The Dundee manager appointed as manager. He served his apprenticeship as assistant to McInnes and has done well in his current role. I don't think McInnes would come.
    Last edited by PatHead; 13-04-2024 at 06:25 PM.

In my time our most succesful teams have had the magic blend of talent, experience and character. Oh for a Rob Jones or a John McGinn. The 91 cup winning team was full of character and leaders. The current team is totally lacking in character as is the management team.

@hibs.net private member RMQ1967's Avatar

Don't really agree with a word of this.

The only missing element at Hibs is the appointment of a decent manager. Everything else is in place for success.

Fully expect Foley & the Black Knights to bring in someone who knows how to coach and manage a football team.

How will we struggle to sign any home based coaches or players?

Quote Originally Posted by RMQ1967 View Post

The only missing element at Hibs is the appointment of a decent manager. Everything else is in place for success.

Fully expect Foley & the Black Knights to bring in someone who knows how to coach and manage a football team.
    Yeah overplayed as ever because he had a role in the working together stuff. Apart from the cup win, things weren’t perfect then either.

Not so sure. We've basically just blown our £6 million by not making it into Europe.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar

Agreed. We consistently get the most important appointment wrong but we are in a position off field that when we do we have a great chance of success.

Agreed, we need a core of Scottish players who understand this league imo.

Stewart can **** off though, he was behind a players revolt when we actually had a good manager who wanted to achieve things as this club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree 100% 👍

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Not so sure. We've basically just blown our £6 million by not making it into Europe.
    How so?

Will the 6 million go to the Gordon's eventually leaving the club ? Lorient is a effin mess under Foley doesn't look promising

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine&Caviar View Post

Logan

Fontaine
    HANLON
    McGregor

Gray
    McGeouch
    Fyvie
    MCginn
    STEVENSON

Stokes
    CUMMINGS

and the 3 players you highlight were in the first team before Craig, Mathie, and Stubbs arrived.

This black knights and foley thing better what its cracked up to be. Next step for them to show how serious they are is to sack Monty now and get a manager in who knows what they are doing

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar

Jurgen Klopp would struggle with this squad.

The £6m is a sticking plaster that attempts to paper over all sorts of ineptitude.

I find it almost comical that folk think we’re on the cusp of some sort of period of dominance.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The £6m is a sticking plaster that attempts to paper over all sorts of ineptitude.

I find it almost comical that folk think we’re on the cusp of some sort of period of dominance.
    The £6m has never really been the point though. Having access to the resources of the wider group is much more important than the initial investment figure.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Someone remind me again what the size of Kensell's salary is?

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Someone remind me again what the size of Kensell's salary is?
    Over 300k plus pension. And any bonuses he may be entitled to.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Over 300k plus pension. And any bonuses he may be entitled to.
    Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    This must be the biggest piss take in .net history 🤣🤣🤣
    Really? I don’t agree with every word but a lot makes sense and you will notice everyone else on the thread seems to be taking it seriously.

What about it makes it the ‘biggest piss take in .net history’?

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    Really? I don’t agree with every word but a lot makes sense and you will notice everyone else on the thread seems to be taking it seriously.

What about it makes it the ‘biggest piss take in .net history’?
    The problems are behind us, we are going into this new future with positivity, whatever it looks like. O need for the endless hand wringing and over the shoulder looking back. We should be positive about now good we can be.

Load of tosh.
    Successful managers have big egos.Somebody like McInnes will automatically assume he can improve things here. Offer him more money than he's getting and he'd be here in an instant.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    The bit about the homegrown Cup winning squad being assembled by Craig and Mathie. Come on eh? You must know that's nonsense.

And how on earth will we struggle to sign any Scottish players? We pay them decent money, they sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    The bit about the homegrown Cup winning squad being assembled by Craig and Mathie. Come on eh? You must know that's nonsense.

And how on earth will we struggle to sign any Scottish players? We pay them decent money, they sign.
    Alan Stubbs signed 31 players. They weren’t all of the standard of John McGinn. A lot of rose tinted nonsense about how we used to do things.

Bloody hell. This isn't cup half empty, this is totally draining the cup then smashing it to bits with a hammer.

Its 2024, Scottish premiership teams with more than a couple of home grown players are very much the exception, not the rule. It doesn't matter where you get players from so long as they have ability and you have a competent manager capable of making a team out of them and motivating them to have pride in their performance.

To finish 3rd and at least make the final of one of the cups doesn't need a miracle, home grown players or anything like it. It needs competent players sprinkled with a two or three above average players for this league, along with a competent manager.
    That shouldn't take countless millions or some out of the box brilliant master plan and that is why there is simply no excuse for this club being where it's currently at.