hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Youan

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t particularly care about stats. They tell you some things but not everything and have little context. He became a better player overall towards the end of last season and the beginning of this season. He might be showing better figures for assists and goals, if comparing against his first season but I’d think anyone assessing with their own eyes would see he isn’t anywhere near overall the player we thought he was becoming at the start of this season.
    Please explain what overall player you thought he was becoming towards the end of last season/at the start of this season and in what way has he since regressed?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Also agree that he’d probably look better under a capable manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    The problems at Hibs just now are far, far bigger than Elie Youan. I would guess that he doesn't set the tactics; pick the team or decide what role he plays. Elie is a player. LJ got more out of him.
    As much as I've criticised Ellie on this thread - I fully agree with this. He's been totally mismanaged. Once again the manager left him on for 90 mins when we were a goal up. Shocking management.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Please explain what overall player you thought he was becoming towards the end of last season/at the start of this season and in what way has he since regressed?
    I have already. If you don’t agree then fine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    A very frustrating player for sure but there's plenty of other players in the squad who should be getting stick before him.

A good Manager, if we ever get one, would work out how to get the best out of him and when to play him and when not to play him, e.g., hook him in the last 10 minutes of the Ross County game.
    Personally, I think a good manager would quickly realise that he’s uncoachable, that relying on him would risk him becoming our latest managerial statistic and get him punted pronto.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I like him. When utilised properly he’s a huge threat in this league, and he’s a player I enjoy watching - as much as he can be incredibly frustrating.

As much as I enjoy watching him on the ball at times (when he’s tying defenders in knots, and not himself), his best and most effective moments for us seem to be when he has little time to think about things. One touch finishes, and just being direct, burning defenders for pace on the outside and whipping the ball over.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    A very frustrating player for sure but there's plenty of other players in the squad who should be getting stick before him.

A good Manager, if we ever get one, would work out how to get the best out of him and when to play him and when not to play him, e.g., hook him in the last 10 minutes of the Ross County game.
    Youan is an an enigma, from 1 minute to the next he could either be brilliant or he could make a costly mistake. It's very easy afterwards to be clever about what should have been done differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I like him. When utilised properly he’s a huge threat in this league, and he’s a player I enjoy watching - as much as he can be incredibly frustrating.

As much as I enjoy watching him on the ball at times (when he’s tying defenders in knots, and not himself), his best and most effective moments for us seem to be when he has little time to think about things. One touch finishes, and just being direct, burning defenders for pace on the outside and whipping the ball over.
    I agree with the second paragraph tbf.

He’s possibly better against better teams.

When we’re up against packed defences and he’s getting the ball to feet to start beating people, he’s as likely to beat himself as he is to beat defenders.

At other times, when he’s more instinctive, he can be deadly.

Although his errors can be more costly defensively.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Youan is an an enigma, from 1 minute to the next he could either be brilliant or he could make a costly mistake. It's very easy afterwards to be clever about what should have been done differently.
    It's not rocket science to take him off late on once we are a goal ahead. A mistake Monty has repeatedly made.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post

He was better under LJ. He was played higher, played to his strengths and generally performed better. When Monty came in and started the 4-4-2 nonsense Elie was wasted. Tracking back, defending and chasing games is not his M
    O. Players like him need to be managed properly. I dont think he has been.

It’s no even from minute to minute. There was one in the second half today where he got the ball well inside our half and just flew away from a few of them. Got to the edge of their box and had the choice of keeping going and shooting or slipping it to Maolida. He chose the latter but booted it out for a goal kick. That was Youan summed up right there.

I have already. If you don’t agree then fine.
    One minute you said he regressed then you said he isn’t anywhere near overall the player we thought he was becoming at the start of this season. I don't know what you thought he was becoming (or how you know what the rest of us thought) but that sounds to me like you are backtracking. So yes, I disagree, I don't think he is worse than he was.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    He was better under LJ. He was played higher, played to his strengths and generally performed better. When Monty came in and started the 4-4-2 nonsense Elie was wasted. Tracking back, defending and chasing games is not his M
    O. Players like him need to be managed properly. I dont think he has been.
    I agree. He can - and has - been used in a way that harnesses his considerable talents, and places minimal demands on the weaker aspects of his game.

One minute you said he regressed then you said he isn’t anywhere near overall the player we thought he was becoming at the start of this season. I don't know what you thought he was becoming (or how you know what the rest of us thought) but that sounds to me like you are backtracking. So yes, I disagree, I don't think he is worse than he was.
    He was becoming a very good player end of last season and beginning of this one. He has since regressed.

Testimonial Due
    still flummoxing

He was becoming a very good player end of last season and beginning of this one. He has since regressed.
    So are you saying he is worse or not?

Annoying, but has achieved far more than Boyle, who for some reason seems to be getting away with it.

So are you saying he is worse or not?
    I’m not sure what you aren’t following here?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Does the hard work and ****s up the final ball through trying to be the hero. He’s not the root cause by any means but his selfishness today might have been the difference between us and European football this season.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Annoying, but has achieved far more than Boyle, who for some reason seems to be getting away with it.
    Boyle has had a terrible season for what must be a hefty wage now.

There’s an “elephant in the room” feeling about it, like since he was so good for us for so long we shouldn’t really be considering what’s going on with him.

I reckon teams have him / us sussed, after he got quite a lot of freedom for quite a long time. If teams stop the ball getting to him, they’re quite confident they can deal with all the other threats we can muster.

Promising Youngster

Youan

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Take what we can for him. Talented player but plays for himself and makes us a poorer overall team despite the moments he’s capable of. Crazy if we turned down in the region of a couple of million in January if the rumours were accurate.
    100% agree with you. Youn does NOT play for Hibs. Yoan plays for Yoan!! Talented perhaps but definitely NOT a team player.

I’m not sure what you aren’t following here?
    You are talking about his potential and about the player he was "becoming". There is a difference between "being" and "becoming" hence my questioning. You keep saying he has regressed which means you think he has got worse, in what way has he got worse? (His potential or what he was "becoming" is not relevant to whether he is now better or worse than whenever your cutoff point is).

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Looking at the players under contract for next year… would it be unfair to point out that whilst we’ve had all sorts of problems elsewhere in our team, we’ve not had nearly enough out of Youan and Boyle this season? They’re both players we’re expecting to be our best.

It started on the first day of the season when Robinson came to ER with a plan to stifle our supply to them both and did a great job of it.

Yes, someone’s going to come on and provide stats suggesting Youan HAS provided an end product for us. Around those goals and assists though are some woeful performances, some costly defensive lapses.

Maolida has come in and shown some end product and consistency, without which we wouldn’t even have been in with a shout of top 6 at this stage in the season.

We have very few contracted players I’m looking forward to seeing next season. I like Cadden, NMW has promise. Can’t really be bothered with any of the rest of them.
    Yeah that's not unfair, we should have go more out both Youan and Boyle. They are 2 good players regardless and would definitely keep them.
    Pity Vente never worked out and ALF has had so little game time. A proper centre forward would have complimented the wingers much better. Youan has shown defensive lapses but I'm a bit old school. Defenders defend, Youan can't defend then have someone in there doing it for him, keep him.up the park
    (obviously I understand tracking back and picking up your man and everyone in the team has to defend/attack) but in a general sense. Too much moaning that he can't defend - set the team up to play to his strengths.
    Last edited by McGruber; 13-04-2024 at 11:01 PM.

I struggle with this to be honest. Reading about top six being an absolute minimum for a team like Hibs, but wanting potentially the single best talent we’ve got (that actually belongs to us) forced out asap.

Without for a second suggesting he’s the perfect article by any means.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Could see from early on today it wasn’t going to be one of those days for him, couldn’t believe he never went off for an Alf or vente in the second half

Get a manager to manage him and all of a sudden we’ll have a player on our hands!

Pass the ****ing ball to your teammates or your getting it! That’s all that needs said. 🤣

@hibs.net private member Big90inOz's Avatar
    He has skills but has no football brain, definition of a headless chook.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,therefore, is not an act but a habit.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Agree with everything that has been said on this thread about his lack of a football brain - but I would add one more criticism. He is without doubt the biggest *****bag I've ever seen as a professional footballer. How he's got to that age and has no ability to win a 70/30 tackle in his favour, let alone a 50/50 is utterly beyond me. He shat out of at least 3 tackles today, could have been more.

And on that point what also baffles me is that his teammates let him get away with it - no leadership, no one going mental at him. Symbolic of the boyband mentality that Lennon was often criticised for talking about.
    This is what gets me the most. I get that forward players, especially at our level will always be inconsistent.

But I can't forgive him for ducking out of practically every challenge. I don't expect him to get flying into tackles but he barely makes any attempt to win the ball, even like you say when it's 70/30 in his favour.

It's cost us goals in the past and just gives the impression he isn't bothered. I think he's talented but there is a distinct lack of dig and leadership in this team, and he is one of the worst offenders.

His decision making is atrocious but deary me. Was our main threat the whole game and was better than the other 3 forwards who started.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Boyle has had a terrible season for what must be a hefty wage now.

There’s an “elephant in the room” feeling about it, like since he was so good for us for so long we shouldn’t really be considering what’s going on with him.

I reckon teams have him / us sussed, after he got quite a lot of freedom for quite a long time. If teams stop the ball getting to him, they’re quite confident they can deal with all the other threats we can muster.
    A real shame - his multiple injuries seem to finally have caught up with him. His pace seems to have completely gone, it was the main weapon in his armoury and he no longer has it. As such he seems like a completely different player now. Was looking forward to him and Youan on the flanks this season but only one of them has produced this goods with any consistency. Assuming he's still here next season I'd imagine he'll be used from the bench?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    If he did all of the right things in the correct order he would be top drawer a real super star playing for a top club and Les Blues

He has all the attributes but only shows it sporadically at Hibs which is why he is still here

Remember his two superb finishes at Tiny that he seemed to execute without even thinking about it after a first half where he offered nothing ?

Frustrating temperamental inconsistent poor decision making a real enigma oh and you cannot go about bottling 70-30 tackles in your favour not in this league and not wearing the famous green and white needs to show more commitment hunger and desire and win the ball first at all costs whatever the odds

I have seen enough sell if we get the chance I do not think he wants to be here anyways