hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Youan

Quote Originally Posted by sauzee1989 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why can’t he improve on his basic decision making? Improvements don’t stop when you reach a certain age. Look at Jamie Vardy he was a late developer.
    He did improve end of last season and beginning of this. He was being much more direct and making good choices on when to play others in.

He’s suffered from being asked to play narrower and deeper for most of the season. He hasn’t got back into the rhythm he was in. He has it in him though if coached and used effectively.

2. Log in to remove the advert

His comments last night are laughable IMO. He's not been booed...... he's had some abuse when he's not performed on the park. Whether that is merited or not is a matter of opinion but it's part of football. He'll get that in any league in the world.

He's not been good enough far too often and he gives the impression that he either doesn't care that much or doesn't really understand what success is for Hibs. For example posting his little highlights reel after we were beaten 3-0 by Hearts twice in a month. I wouldn't blame him alone for this sort of thing, again it comes back to a lack of standards at the club and a lack of leadership in the playing staff.

Personally I'd be happy to see him go in the summer. We can do much better.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    His comments last night are laughable IMO. He's not been booed...... he's had some abuse when he's not performed on the park. Whether that is merited or not is a matter of opinion but it's part of football. He'll get that in any league in the world.

He's not been good enough far too often and he gives the impression that he either doesn't care that much or doesn't really understand what success is for Hibs. For example posting his little highlights reel after we were beaten 3-0 by Hearts twice in a month. I wouldn't blame him alone for this sort of thing, again it comes back to a lack of standards at the club and a lack of leadership in the playing staff.

Personally I'd be happy to see him go in the summer. We can do much better.
    Yep we can do much better than a player that has double figures in both goals and assists for the first time in a number of years. If we can do myxg better, where are they?
    And yes he does get a harder time than say Martin boyle. Or Vente. Players that are probably on more than him per week.
    Do folk think that booing a footballer for making a wrong decision on the park is productive? Cos it absolutely isn’t. Same as the folk that think it’s helpful to make comments directly on social media. There’s no need for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Yep we can do much better than a player that has double figures in both goals and assists for the first time in a number of years. If we can do myxg better, where are they?
    And yes he does get a harder time than say Martin boyle. Or Vente. Players that are probably on more than him per week.
    Do folk think that booing a footballer for making a wrong decision on the park is productive? Cos it absolutely isn’t. Same as the folk that think it’s helpful to make comments directly on social media. There’s no need for it.

Let's start with his stats then. In the league he has 4 goals and 8 assists. Blair Spittal has better numbers than that. Graham Carey at St Johnstone isn't far behind Youan ffs. So his stats are not that amazing for a player who cost us £500k+. He can definitely be replaced.

He gets a tougher time than other players because he doesn't do the basics well enough. People grew tired of him continually giving the ball away. He's not getting booed on or off the pitch though is he? He'll get shouted at when he messes up - it's probably unfair but it's football.

The social media stuff is a disgrace but again it's not exclusive to Hibs.

First Team Breakthrough
    Youan gets far too much criticism. At least he tries things and makes things happen around him.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post

Well said! As a fan of 81, who has been through worse with Hibs than currently, it is refreshing to hear a younger fan say this. It’s all very well saying they’re paid well & should be able to take criticism, but reading this site would any of the current squad want to continue at Hibs? I know the keyboard warriors will say “Good, they can all go!” If we appointed one of the best managers in Europe & invested vast resources, it would take 2 - 3 seasons to get any success should we build a new squad from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by sauzee1989 View Post
    Youan gets far too much criticism. At least he tries things and makes things happen around him.
    Habitually pulling out of challenges will obviously wind folk up.

Twice in injury time alone at Fir Park he shat it.

Some are going to end up driving a good player out of the club who won't be easily replaced . 10 goals and 11 assists for a winger is a very good return .

Let's start with his stats then. In the league he has 4 goals and 8 assists. Blair Spittal has better numbers than that. Graham Carey at St Johnstone isn't far behind Youan ffs. So his stats are not that amazing for a player who cost us £500k+. He can definitely be replaced.

He gets a tougher time than other players because he doesn't do the basics well enough. People grew tired of him continually giving the ball away. He's not getting booed on or off the pitch though is he? He'll get shouted at when he messes up - it's probably unfair but it's football.

The social media stuff is a disgrace but again it's not exclusive to Hibs.
    Ok, now compare Youan’s stats to Boyle and Vente who are immune from criticism.

500k is also absolutely nothing in football, just because it’s alot for us doesn’t mean the player you sign is incredible. People need to lower their standards for what a player worth that looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Some are going to end up driving a good player out of the club who won't be easily replaced . 10 goals and 11 assists for a winger is a very good return .
    Exactly - for all our problems - Youan is the least of them for me.

Plenty either issues with the team and management.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Exactly. We'd be in a far worse position this season without Youan. He's not perfect but he's not the problem.

As we saw in the 2nd half of last season and the start of this, when he's feeling good and gets a bit of form going he's a 7 figure player. When he's off it, it shows. The manager is key for this but the fans play their part - giving him stick is counter productive.

Im a big fan of his, and theres some terrible takes on here.

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/2024/march/23/watch--every-elie-youan-goal---assist-this-season-/

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

500k is also absolutely nothing in football, just because it’s alot for us doesn’t mean the player you sign is incredible. People need to lower their standards for what a player worth that looks like.
    But they're not immune from criticism, they've been slated loads aswell. They all deserve to be criticised.

Youan making a point about how much he's been criticised.... He was accepting an award for moment of the season for a draw against Hearts for goodness sake! A draw. And that's the highlight of a season that he's played a big part in. A total failure.

He should have been taking the opportunity to apologise to the fans

Youan is never going to be one for crunching into a tackle and it is a bit harsh to judge him on that albeit the leg dangling can be frustrating. The hardest thing to do is beat a player and create something. He has the skill, trickery and pace needed. This does need aligned with confidence and self belief which I feel gets eroded by the constant heckling he receives. IMO we need to do more of what it says on the tin and support players through thick and thin. Some act more like judge, jury and executioner. We need our flair players to be able to try stuff that might not come off without being lambasted for it from the stands. I do believe we as fans have a role to play otherwise what is the point in going along.

But they're not immune from criticism, they've been slated loads aswell. They all deserve to be criticised.

Youan making a point about how much he's been criticised.... He was accepting an award for moment of the season for a draw against Hearts for goodness sake! A draw. And that's the highlight of a season that he's played a big part in. A total failure.

He should have been taking the opportunity to apologise to the fans
    If he ‘apologised to the fans’ he’d probably get crucified for it being ‘all talk’ and ‘id rather he’d do his talking on the pitch’ or suchlike by the same folk who dont seem to understand or cant accept that a social media presence is vital for young footballers trying to show the best aspects of their game, and there’s absolutely **** all wrong with posting his best bits even after a derby defeat. There just isn’t. Some fans need to grow the **** up.

He's a player I'd maybe be tempted to carry if the rest of the team was in proper working order.

Youan is never going to be a player who makes a significant contribution to a team who finishes third. He ducks physical challenges, prioritises getting moments for his instagram reel over actually playing football, neglects defensive duties and is ridiculously hot and cold.

Yes, when he's on it and the opportunity presents itself he can make a contribution. But how much cold do you have to sit through between those meaningful contributions?

I lost patience with him a while back and if he was 19, I'd maybe be an advocate for sending him out on loan to learn how to play football. He's not a kid though and I don't see how he's suddenly going to learn to make decisions he appears to be incapable of making? LJ was slaughtered for his "football IQ" comments but Youan is the living embodiment of the point he was (correctly) trying to make.

As long as we have players like Youan in our side, imo we're going to be talking about sacking managers as he is going to repeatedly let them down.

Abuse is bang out of order but it's natural to get exasperated watching him play football (so the odd moan or groan I think is acceptable and inevitable) and I think it is fair to discuss constructively whether or not he should have a team built around him.

He rests in that grey area of our team where he has undoubted qualities who some will see and want to persevere with but flaws others find it difficult to tolerate. It'll be interesting to see what managers make of him going forward, including Monty if he stays - who if he does stay, will surely be aware that Youan's decision making in the Motherwell box was close to going a long way to costing him his job.

Everything from the social media stuff to the comments at the do last night scream "ego" - something, again, you might tolerate but his end product would need to double before you think seriously about it.
    Last edited by Smartie; 15-04-2024 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    If he ‘apologised to the fans’ he’d probably get crucified for it being ‘all talk’ and ‘id rather he’d do his talking on the pitch’ or suchlike by the same folk who dont seem to understand or cant accept that a social media presence is vital for young footballers trying to show the best aspects of their game, and there’s absolutely **** all wrong with posting his best bits even after a derby defeat. There just isn’t. Some fans need to grow the **** up.

There absolutely is something wrong with posting your personal "highlights" from a game you lost 3-0 against your biggest rivals. Any player doing that is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    There absolutely is something wrong with posting your personal "highlights" from a game you lost 3-0 against your biggest rivals. Any player doing that is wrong.
    Not to me. I dont see what the problem is. Its just lipservice, same as an ‘apology’ for losing is. Same with this bizarre reasoning that players shouldnt be allowed to go out for a meal and a few drinks after a derby defeat, maybe they should all sit around the house in a hairshirt and just order über eats. Ridiculous.

Social media presence is fine. Like in any industry there are common sense principles to follow of what and when you post. His posts leave him looking tone deaf at times and open him to criticism.

His comments last night are the same IMO.

Not to me. I dont see what the problem is. Its just lipservice, same as an ‘apology’ for losing is. Same with this bizarre reasoning that players shouldnt be allowed to go out for a meal and a few drinks after a derby defeat, maybe they should all sit around the house in a hairshirt and just order über eats. Ridiculous.
    I agree with you on this one.

My issue with his social media business is that I think he occasionally fabricates on field situations to allow him to achieve his highlights, sometimes when a professional 5 yard side foot pass is the correct option - which I find almost unforgivable.

Whilst I do think there are situations where players need to "read the room" a bit about post game antics, I have had it from pretty good authority (former Hibs players) that it's actually best for you to get the bad results out of your system asap, and that there's something actually quite cathartic and rehabilitative about getting out after a sore loss. Maybe the same is true for Youan trawling highlights for positive ways in which he impacted a game?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I agree with you on this one.

My issue with his social media business is that I think he occasionally fabricates on field situations to allow him to achieve his highlights, sometimes when a professional 5 yard side foot pass is the correct option - which I find almost unforgivable.

Whilst I do think there are situations where players need to "read the room" a bit about post game antics, I have had it from pretty good authority (former Hibs players) that it's actually best for you to get the bad results out of your system asap, and that there's something actually quite cathartic and rehabilitative about getting out after a sore loss. Maybe the same is true for Youan trawling highlights for positive ways in which he impacted a game?
    I honestly think his bad decisions are limited to poor peripheral vision and just lack of awareness than deliberately doing skills to jazz up his social media. To be fair, when some of his bling comes off it DOES positively impact us on the pitch, as the highlights’ reel confirms. Is he a perfect player? Absolutely not. Is he a positive contributor? I think, definitely yes.

Social media presence is fine. Like in any industry there are common sense principles to follow of what and when you post. His posts leave him looking tone deaf at times and open him to criticism.

His comments last night are the same IMO.
    There is a lack of awareness from most at the club IMO. Started with Montgomery talking about being 20 seconds from jubilation. Read on the other thread that Maolida put up a picture of his goal or whatever it was from Saturday. Why, it’s going to provoke nothing but negative comments given the outcome. It feels like they just don’t get it to me.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    It's their own private social media. They can post what they want and shouldn’t receive abuse from childish fans in a huff about Hibs.

Embarrassing abusing a player online. Wouldn't say **** all to the players faces most of them and no doubt be asking for selfies to post on their own social media.

I get frustrated with Elie at times like everyone else but he is not the problem for me. He is an attacker and at times we have blamed him for costing goals in closing stages of games. Has he been at fault? At times, yes, however I would be looking at a manager that constantly puts him into a position where we are relying on him to defend (which he cannot do). If we are trying to see games out we should be taking him off before the end to solidify the defence or keeping him up the field and away from the defence where we can use his pace as an out ball. We have lost so many goals this season because our fullbacks have been badly exposed through Elie, Jair, Boyle, etc not tracking back. That to me is down to the formation and the way they are coached to play. That responsibility falls to the manager.

On last nights awards, I wasn't there but is it possible that he meant thanks for not booing him on the back of team performances and it has been lost in translation given English is not his first language? Be interested to hear the thoughts of those that were there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hibee Harp View Post
    I get frustrated however I would be looking at a manager that constantly puts him into a position where we are relying on him to defend (which he cannot do). If we are trying to see games out we should be taking him off before the end to solidify the defence or keeping him up the field.
    Exactly right.

I honestly think his bad decisions are limited to poor peripheral vision and just lack of awareness than deliberately doing skills to jazz up his social media. To be fair, when some of his bling comes off it DOES positively impact us on the pitch, as the highlights’ reel confirms. Is he a perfect player? Absolutely not. Is he a positive contributor? I think, definitely yes.
    To be fair, I'm more inconsistent than he is, I'll be back to loving him again the next time I see him play.

Worth noting that when we were putting our teams together pre- Motherwell game I still had him starting ahead of Boyle.

I'm just finding it harder and harder to accept his rough edges, and I previously thought that regular football would help smooth them - I've lost that faith, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    To be fair, I'm more inconsistent than he is, I'll be back to loving him again the next time I see him play.

Worth noting that when we were putting our teams together pre- Motherwell game I still had him starting ahead of Boyle.

I'm just finding it harder and harder to accept his rough edges, and I previously thought that regular football would help smooth them - I've lost that faith, really.
    HE is very inconsistent, no doubt. Im not sure you are, i think you’re fair and reflect on your opinions. Obviously if he starts costing us regularly in big games thats not sustainable.

Can’t believe this thread. Much bigger problems at the club than EY.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I like Elie has had a good season. Should not have been dropped for Boyle recently

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I like Elie has had a good season. Should not have been dropped for Boyle recently
    Agreed, Elie is far better than Boyle currently.

For the record Boyle also shirks challenges regularly.

We’ll struggle to replace his numbers unless we spend a fair bit.