hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Derek Mcinnes

Quote Originally Posted by greenpaper55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What’s all this Hun nonsense, i would take the devil himself if he could put a good team together, by the way the last manager to with the league with Hibs played for Rangers and Hearts ! Hugh Shaw .
    Plenty of our finest players have also played for Rangers. It's a daft argument, especially as McInnes actually turned down the Ibrox job.

Aberdeen probably hate them more than we do but I doubt Alex Ferguson's playing career is an issue for a single one of their fans.
    Last edited by He's here!; 15-04-2024 at 07:36 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Almost everyone I know has turned from being dead against him to now seeing him as the best option and I'm including myself in that number.

I really think the fans would get behind him, we can identify with what he's trying to achieve despite the boring ex-hun stuff that gets levelled against him.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    Agree.

We are a bigger club than Kilmarnock.

Give him what he wants and he would come IMO.

We’ll get some Bournemouth reserve under 19’s coach after Monty goes in September though.
    How depressingly inevitable
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Almost everyone I know has turned from being dead against him to now seeing him as the best option and I'm including myself in that number.

I really think the fans would get behind him, we can identify with what he's trying to achieve despite the boring ex-hun stuff that gets levelled against him.
    I'm one of those who didn't want him anywhere near Hibs but would now take him.

The style of football the Sheep played under him and the way his sheep squads feigned injury, dived, and time-wasted throughout games made him a no for me. After the last 3 managers, I'd take him tomorrow.

I think that fans would have more patience with him than we've had with Montgomery and the previous two because he has a track record of building teams and achieving relative success in Scotland. There would be previous evidence that progress was possible in the SPFL with McInnes that Montgomery and the two before him didn't have.

Of course, I'm sure some would turn on him a few games into his tenure if immediate progress weren't made but I'd feel a lot more confident that there was the possibility of progress.

If Montgomery goes , whether McInnes would want to come is a different matter. He's building something at Killie and seems quite a loyal ( no hun pun intended) guy so could quite easily want to see the Killie project through to next season and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post

The style of football the Sheep played under him and the way his sheep squads feigned injury, dived, and time-wasted throughout games made him a no for me. After the last 3 managers, I'd take him tomorrow.

I think that fans would have more patience with him than we've had with Montgomery and the previous two because he has a track record of building teams and achieving relative success in Scotland. There would be previous evidence that progress was possible in the SPFL with McInnes that Montgomery and the two before him didn't have.

Of course, I'm sure some would turn on him a few games into his tenure if immediate progress weren't made but I'd feel a lot more confident that there was the possibility of progress.

If Montgomery goes , whether McInnes would want to come is a different matter. He's building something at Killie and seems quite a loyal ( no hun pun intended) guy so could quite easily want to see the Killie project through to next season and beyond.
    A McInnes team is one you know will provide you with a tough game. Pretty much every top flight team looks at Hibs and thinks they have a good chance of beating us. That's the difference. We carry next to zero presence about us and have rarely had an air of a big club about us since Lennon was boss.

I've got a feeling McInnes wouldn't take the Hibs job either, even if he was offered it. It's a bigger job than the Killie one but not so much bigger that he'd see it as much more than a sideways step in this league. I think he'll either have his eye on the Scotland job after Clarke steps down (possibly this summer) or want another crack at an English job - something he'd be in the running for based on the way he's turned Killie around.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    I'd take him in a heart beat.

We'd be incredibly lucky to have him and he'd be crazy to take the job.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Plenty of our finest players have also played for Rangers. It's a daft argument, especially as McInnes actually turned down the Ibrox job.

Aberdeen probably hate them more than we do but I doubt Alex Ferguson's playing career is an issue for a single one of their fans.
    Just been watching the famous clip of Mr Ferguson ranting about the standards of the team after WINNING the Scottish Cup.

Interesting comparison with "Everybody is devastated in there, they put their heart and soul into the performance. We were 20 seconds away from still having a great chance to be in the top six"

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Just been watching the famous clip of Mr Ferguson ranting about the standards of the team after WINNING the Scottish Cup.

Interesting comparison with "Everybody is devastated in there, they put their heart and soul into the performance. We were 20 seconds away from still having a great chance to be in the top six"

Ferguson later admitted the real reason for his anger was because Rangers had got rid of him as a player years before and he desperately wanted Aberdeen to destroy them in the Cup Final. There's nothing like a Scotsman hanging onto a grudge!

Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    Bring in Neil Lennon.
    Yawn

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post

I think Fergie admitted he regretted that as he matured.

I think it's indicative of the single minded mentality he had at the time and the standards he demanded though.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    A McInnes team is one you know will provide you with a tough game. Pretty much every top flight team looks at Hibs and thinks they have a good chance of beating us. That's the difference. We carry next to zero presence about us and have rarely had an air of a big club about us since Lennon was boss.

I've got a feeling McInnes wouldn't take the Hibs job either, even if he was offered it. It's a bigger job than the Killie one but not so much bigger that he'd see it as much more than a sideways step in this league. I think he'll either have his eye on the Scotland job after Clarke steps down (possibly this summer) or want another crack at an English job - something he'd be in the running for based on the way he's turned Killie around.
    Also wouldn't underestimate home life and travelling as think he has a number of boys and stays West of Glasgow. Might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think Fergie admitted he regretted that as he matured.

I think it's indicative of the single minded mentality he had at the time and the standards he demanded though.
    Was the Fergie final not 3 days after they beat Real Madrid in cup winners cup final. What a miserable bas he was/is 😄

Could anyone seriously respect him given his penchant for fake tan. 😃 Wonder what it is with Aberdeen managers must be so cold up there

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    Ferguson later admitted the real reason for his anger was because Rangers had got rid of him as a player years before and he desperately wanted Aberdeen to destroy them in the Cup Final. There's nothing like a Scotsman hanging onto a grudge!
    Aberdeen had beaten Rangers 4-1 in the previous year's Scottish Cup final so he'd already done the destruction bit. Maybe just wanted to do it again, although as someone else has pointed out this game came just days after they'd won the Cup Winners' Cup against Real Madrid! He did subsequently say he was wrong to be so critical.

The Hun/Jambo thing isn’t serious and only becomes a stick to beat them with if they don’t perform. If they have no such background we just find another stick.

People who disliked Miller when the football was drab changed their mind about him when he built the more expansive teams of the 90’s. Butcher was reared as a positive appointment until he was crap.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    The Hun/Jambo thing isn’t serious and only becomes a stick to beat them with if they don’t perform. If they have no such background we just find another stick.

People who disliked Miller when the football was drab changed their mind about him when he built the more expansive teams of the 90’s. Butcher was reared as a positive appointment until he was crap.
    Well I never changed my mind about Alex miller with his crap derby record considering the players he had at his disposal, still angers me today.

I think he'd be a great appointment. I'd love to see a Hibs team that are organised, hard to beat and have a bit of nastiness to them. Get McInnes in for a few years to stop the rot, change the culture, get us nearer the top end of the table, and then build in good quality football from there. For all people might talk about the Hibs way of playing, I've rarely seen it and never enjoy a defeat. I'm bored with underperforming and mediocrity. If McInnes couldn't get Hibs playing that way and punching, at least, our weight then there really is no excuses left for the club. Saying all that though, I'm not sure he'd want the job.

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    Well I never changed my mind about Alex miller with his crap derby record considering the players he had at his disposal, still angers me today.
    It's really not relevant to anything but I find it interesting all the same that once we ended the 22 game streak then Miller actually had an ok record in his last few derbies. We only lost 1 of the next 5, winning 3.

Won 0-1
    Won 2-1
    Lost 0-2
    Won 3-1
    Drew 2-2
    Lost 1-2
    Won 2-1
    Drew 1-1
    Lost 3-1 (his last game)

Not great by any stretch, particularly when you consider the history, but probably compares relatively favourably to almost every manager since (maybe with the exception of McLeish) over a 9 game period. I think that says more about our derby record than anything right enough
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

”Saturday's draw with Hamilton made it one win in nine matches and Aberdeen have scored just five times in 2021.” A quote from March 2021, when Aberdeen “mutually” agreed with him to go.

It might be ok for a while, but we will be in the same place we were with Lennon, Ross, Johnson, et al not far down the line .. and we will hear the usual drab stuff around should’ve got Lennon, kept Monty, blah blah ..

If we change manager now, we need to invest in someone who will make a difference … and we have investment apparently … this is where we need to start … the players can change over time … but someone like eg Michael O'Neill would make a difference to the team, regardless of the individuals within it.

I had faith in Monty coming good … and he may yet even if he goes … but if he does go, we need to invest in a manager bigger than before … and please … don't say Lennon 😖
    Last edited by cubehindthegoal; 15-04-2024 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post

If we appointed McInnes I'd breathe a massive sigh of relief thinking that someone at the club knew what they were doing. Sadly it doesn't look like Montgomery is going anywhere yet and there's no guarantee McInnes would want to come.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cubehindthegoal View Post
    ”Saturday's draw with Hamilton made it one win in nine matches and Aberdeen have scored just five times in 2021.” A quote from March 2021, when Aberdeen “mutually” agreed with him to go.

It might be ok for a while, but we will be in the same place we were with Lennon, Ross, Johnson, et al not far down the line .. and we will hear the usual drab stuff around should’ve got Lennon, kept Monty, blah blah ..

If we change manager now, we need to invest in someone who will make a difference … and we have investment apparently … this is where we need to start … the players can change over time … but someone like eg Michael O'Neill would make a difference to the team, regardless of the individuals within it.

I had faith in Monty coming good … and he may yet even if he goes … but if he does go, we need to invest in a manager bigger than before … and please … don't say Lennon 😖
    McInnes had been at the sheep for nearly 8 years by then mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    McInnes had been at the sheep for nearly 8 years by then mate.
    I know mate … I do get that … what I’m saying though, is … if we need to change, then let’s aim a bit higher than before, as apparently our budget and aims are raised too now ?

… here’s another quote from back then …

“Speculation over McInnes' position grew following last month's defeat by Hibernian, who are three points ahead of the Dons with a game in hand.”

And we all know how crap we were that year, and what happened end of that season …

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by cubehindthegoal View Post

I loved Michael O'Neill when I was a kid and have been impressed with his spells as NI manager but anyone thinking he would be a more attacking manager than McInnes may be in for a shock. I've never seen a team he's managed have a go at anyone until that game a few weeks ago at Hampden. His sides are stuffy, hard to break down and most definitely don't want majority possession.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
    I loved Michael O'Neill when I was a kid and have been impressed with his spells as NI manager but anyone thinking he would be a more attacking manager than McInnes may be in for a shock. I've never seen a team he's managed have a go at anyone until that game a few weeks ago at Hampden. His sides are stuffy, hard to break down and most definitely don't want majority possession.
    I think he makes his teams work clever and hard to get the ball back … and with better players than the opposition, they could make more of it when they do. But hey … we are all amateur manager raters here … I might well be wrong … we all must have been at some point past few managers 😄

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
    Agree with every word of that mate.

Mcinnes had 5 windows to get killie to where they are now and folk want monty out after one window

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May21/05/16 View Post
    Mcinnes had 5 windows to get killie to where they are now and folk want monty out after one window

And people wanted Jack Ross out as he didn’t rant and rave in interviews whilst waving sparklers about.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member

And how was he getting on whilst all those windows came and gone?

There seems to be a big emphasis put on how many transfer windows a manager gets. McInnes got 5 because he deserved it. Came in and made them better immediately, got them promoted and then continued to improve them. What happens if a manager comes in and makes things worse? Should be get another window to then be sacked when things don't improve which then makes it harder for the next guy?

Killie didn't give Tommy Wright a second window because he was pish.
    Last edited by Since452; 15-04-2024 at 07:50 PM.

So your logic is that if a manager doesn't improve the team after one window then replace said manager
    I disagree but it's my opinion

And respect everyone else opinion can't wait to see when mcinnes is appointed