hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

A week without a Joe Newell thread is like a week without sunshine.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Joe Newell will definitely go down as a player we wish we appreciated more while we had him. I'd probably even put him ahead of Dylan McGeouch as a general better player in that midfield role and folk would have brought him back at all costs for years after he left and failed elsewhere. The difference is Joe never had John McGinn beside him.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Joe Newell will definitely go down as a player we wish we appreciated more while we had him. I'd probably even put him ahead of Dylan McGeouch as a general better player in that midfield role and folk would have brought him back at all costs for years after he left and failed elsewhere. The difference is Joe never had John McGinn beside him.
    Jeezy peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Jeezy peeps.
    Dylan McGeouch was a great player on his day, but lets not pretend he was perfect either. If we want creativity and someone carrying a goal involvement then Joe has routinely done better than McGeouch in that department every season he's been here over McGeouchs best ever return.

@hibs.net private member
    😂😂

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Dylan McGeouch was a great player on his day, but lets not pretend he was perfect either. If we want creativity and someone carrying a goal involvement then Joe has routinely done better than McGeouch in that department every season he's been here over McGeouchs best ever return.
    Your commitment to the bit is admirable.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Your commitment to the bit is admirable.
    McGeouch was a good player for Hibs, I'm not going to say otherwise. But I think Joe is at least on the same level ability wise as him as a centre midfielder. The only difference is Joe hasn't won anything with us.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Absolutely agree with this.

Loved McGeough tae, but Newell the better player.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    On the occasions he was missing I never thought to myself if only he’d been playing.

Good guy, I do believe he “gets” Hibs, but it’s a sad indictment of where we are regarding genuine leaders at the club when he’s the best candidate for captain. When we needed him to turn up yesterday in what most viewed as a must win game he had an absolute shocker. When we needed to beat Hearts last game of the season, he had another poor game. We had a chance of going on to beat them in the semi under Maloney, he stupidly got himself sent off. Those are just off the top of my head.

He clearly is a good player on his day, how often that occurs is a matter for debate, but when we really need him I wouldn’t bank on him to come through.
    The most accurate post for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Think you missed the point. Its been obvious for years we’ve lacked true leadership on the pitch. Not just something thats happened this season

Your critique of Joe Newell’s performances is way wide of the mark. He’s been very good in most of the games this season. A luxury we can’t afford? A nonsense statement.
    I can't agree with that. The team has been generally poor this season and just because he might not have been as bad as some others is a long way from being very good. We're not a particularly good team at the moment but he's not the worst of the bunch, leave it at that IMO

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I think one of the biggest issues is that Newell essentially does the McGeough role, but one midfield position forward from where McGeough did it. Which is why we’ve had a midfield bereft of any drive and athleticism the whole time he’s been here as there’s someone behind Newell also doing a similar role.

For me Newell should be our deepest midfielder playing the McGeough deep lying playmaker role, or not play him at all. IMO the role he plays between a deeper midfielder and a more advanced midfielder is the key to the midfield and a position that needs energy, drive and athleticism, which isn’t Newell’s game.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Joe had a poor game by his standards Saturday. He's been better than NMW since both have been together here.

Joe has had many more good games than bad this season. Days like Saturday have been rare.
    What? Are you JN in disguise?

@hibs.net private member
    I'd probably even put him ahead of Dylan McGeouch as a general better player in that midfield role
    Holy ****

Had to read this twice to make sure I got what I thought you were saying CH, your posts are usually good too.

JN cannot protect a ball in any way close to DM nor can he pass a ball anywhere as good as DM.

JN puts in decent corners and free kicks but please lets no compare him to DM

Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    What? Are you JN in disguise?
    I'm not, no. I think NMW is decent actually, but we're doing our usual "shiny new thing" stuff with him. Same as Marcondes. Newell still our best midfielder imo.

NMW was hooked against RC, and we were much better without. Daft red card Vs Huns as well.

I'm not, no. I think NMW is decent actually, but we're doing our usual "shiny new thing" stuff with him. Same as Marcondes. Newell still our best midfielder imo.

NMW was hooked against RC, and we were much better without. Daft red card Vs Huns as well.
    He was much better than Newell when he came on on Saturday, but it's hard to compare them as they carry out different roles in the team.

@hibs.net private member

Newell being “our best midfielder” sums up why we are so bad in that position and why we signed several midfielders in January. He wouldn’t even be playing if Amos was fully fit.

NMW miles ahead of him too.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one MWH

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    He was much better than Newell when he came on on Saturday, but it's hard to compare them as they carry out different roles in the team.
    He was yes. Probably the first time he has been, though.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    Newell being “our best midfielder” sums up why we are so bad in that position and why we signed several midfielders in January. He wouldn’t even be playing if Amos was fully fit.

NMW miles ahead of him too.
    No, he'd still be playing every week. It's Campbell, JDH, and Jeggo these guys are replacing. Not Newell.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    Had to read this twice to make sure I got what I thought you were saying CH, your posts are usually good too.

JN cannot protect a ball in any way close to DM nor can he pass a ball anywhere as good as DM.

JN puts in decent corners and free kicks but please lets no compare him to DM
    Happy to admit I’m perhaps in the minority here. But I think Joe’s overall game can go quite underrated and sometimes elements of McGeouchs are raised up a notch with nostalgia glasses.

Joe’s ability to drive with the ball and take men on, his tackling, and his long passing are all probably something I would say was better than McGeouchs. I also think Newell tends to be riskier with his passing in the final third which can be either a positive or a hindrance depending on your thoughts on our first goal on Saturday.

Where he falls short is he probably doesn’t recycle and move the ball quickly like DM and perhaps his reading of the game isn’t the same, I always thought DM was underrated at interceptions because his positioning was excellent.

My initial point wasn’t to tear down DM or anything like that, but more to say that I do genuinely rate parts of JN’s game very very highly.

I agree. Newell is by far a better player than Mcgeoch. Has way more to his game and is also a bigger contributer.

BTW DM spent most of his time on the treatment table and yet still shot off at the end of his contract. Newell loves this club.

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    I agree. Newell is by far a better player than Mcgeoch. Has way more to his game and is also a bigger contributer.

BTW DM spent most of his time on the treatment table and yet still shot off at the end of his contract. Newell loves this club.
    I'm sure Dylan loves Hibs too. His best days were here. Great player.
    Played with much better than Joe ever has at Hibs. Both quality players in a Hibs shirt.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibees View Post
    Holy ****
    My thoughts exactly. What.

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post

Don’t let his “love for the club” taint your vision. Mcgeough was player of the year ahead of Mcginn. Although I agree he had much better players alongside him than super Joey

Joe had a poor game by his standards Saturday. He's been better than NMW since both have been together here.

Joe has had many more good games than bad this season. Days like Saturday have been rare.
    MW, NMW has less than 50 first team apps under his belt. The gap In quality isn’t as big as you think considering Joe’s experience. Been impressed with NMW

@hibs.net private member
    My issue with Newell is the same with a lot of this Hibs team - consistency (or lack of).

I've seen Newell boss games and put on 10/10 performances. I understand at our level finding someone to do that week in, week out is nearly impossible but there are far too many times we have far too many players on the pitch who are having an off day, end Joe is definitely part of that problem.

File Marcondes, Boyle Youan and the whole defence in that category as well.

We have some talented players but far, far too many of them are not playing to their potential game after game.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    MW, NMW has less than 50 first team apps under his belt. The gap In quality isn’t as big as you think considering Joe’s experience. Been impressed with NMW
    I've been really impressed with NMW. He's still raw but he always puts in a real shift and shows an energy and desire that is lacking too often in our team. Triantis has done well as a DM but NMW starts for me every time.

McGeouch was a good player for Hibs, I'm not going to say otherwise. But I think Joe is at least on the same level ability wise as him as a centre midfielder. The only difference is Joe hasn't won anything with us.
    Joe’s biggest problem is that he’s very slow and cumbersome. I think he blows out his backside getting from box to box.

Saying that he has plenty strengths also, one being an eye for a quick pass and a wand of a left foot.

Hard to compare him Dylan as I think Dylan had better quality players around him. We had a proper midfield back then that was a joy to watch.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    McGeouch was brilliant at keeping the ball moving and the master at controlling the pace and tempo of a game not perfect by any means reminded me of a Barry Ferguson or a young Ray Wilkins perhaps could have done with scoring more but had others in the team that could do that

Scored a cracker against Aberdeen at Hampden following a neat one two with Grant Holt before limping off with a pulled hammy

What I have seen so far this season I am far from Newell’s biggest fan ( said on another thread I just don’t trust him) but would go with JN, NMW Triantis and AN Other

The AN Other is the problem it is now April and we still do not know our strongest team ��
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 09-04-2024 at 06:20 AM.