hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gray turned up in some big moments. An absolutely ****ing god for his cup goal, but it was the Alloas and Falkirks that cost us promotion.
    Think Gray was okay in the premier league. No better than miller or Cadden are though. He got hooked in a semi final against Celtic after a pretty disastrous first half.

Joe wasn't good yesterday. But where is the Boyle criticism? He's a big player, who's been missing many times in big games, who costs us a lot of money, who was utter ***** yesterday. Id be getting rid of him before Joe.
    I am a fan of Joe and think he’s been excellent overall in this season of mediocrity and disappointment. But he was poor yesterday. However, its your comments on Martin Boyle I’m following up on. I don’t think he’s been the same player since coming back from the injury that cost him his World Cup adventure. To me he doesn’t seem confident to take on his full-back now and some of his positioning yesterday was very poor when he should have been moving forward into space to receive balls from Cadden or the midfield. Its been a feature of his game for months now and sadly I think we’ve seen the last of the Martin Boyle we knew and loved pre the World Cup costing injury.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    Given we aren't blessed with a very good midfield does it naturally follow that JN is a very good player as he is the "best midfielder HFC has"?

He is not a very good player and whenever we rely on him for a game changing or even positive performance, 9 times out of ten he fails. Him as captain really reflects where we are as a team.
    Your user name is a tad ironic I have to say 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Is that then something else we lack in our team , players with leadership? .
    Surely not a light bulb moment? We’ve been lacking leadership on the pitch for years. Hanlon and Stevenson were never natural leaders, Joe certainly isn’t. Look at his reaction any time we lose a goal. Nothing. No geeing up the team. Porteous tried to take on a leadership role but ended up bullying less experienced team mates, especially in games where he made one of his goal costing bloopers. We need a real leader at the back and someone in the middle of the pitch as well. ALF is probably the closest we have to a real leader on thr pitch just now.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    What role is Joe Newell playing?
    A much deeper one than McCowan, where he’s expected to always be available to take the ball. Which he usually is.

There’s only 6 players in the SPL this season with more assists than Newell. I’d love him to be quality every week, but that sort of player is few and far between.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    A much deeper one than McCowan, where he’s expected to always be available to take the ball. Which he usually is.
    5 years at the club and that’s the best you can come up with to define his role in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I am a fan of Joe and think he’s been excellent overall in this season of mediocrity and disappointment. But he was poor yesterday. However, its your comments on Martin Boyle I’m following up on. I don’t think he’s been the same player since coming back from the injury that cost him his World Cup adventure. To me he doesn’t seem confident to take on his full-back now and some of his positioning yesterday was very poor when he should have been moving forward into space to receive balls from Cadden or the midfield. Its been a feature of his game for months now and sadly I think we’ve seen the last of the Martin Boyle we knew and loved pre the World Cup costing injury.
    I agree. First half I couldn't understand how Cadden seemed to have so little of the ball while taking up a position so high up the pitch and the same could be said for Boyle. When he did get on it every touch was coming back the way we had to find a way to get him running at his man which he done to some effect later in the game when he had the chance to run at the by-line.

Partly the player, partly symptomatic of the way we play side to side without being direct or incisive enough and allow the opposition to set-up organised deep and we lose the chance to get the ball in behind or a bit of both.

I thought there signs of a few players improving when NM first came in at different points but those memories have quickly faded.

Gamer IDs

5 years at the club and that’s the best you can come up with to define his role in the team.
    I couldnae define loads of footballers roles, I dinnae feel embarrassed about it though.

I don’t need to be able to pigeon hole a player into a role, like it’s Football Manager on the PC, to know Newell and McCowan are different types of player.

However, 5 years at the club, and last season he got player and players player of the year. So whatever role he’s playing he’s obviously doing it pretty well.

This season -

only 6 players in the league have more assists, he’s got as many as Calum Mcgregor and more than Todd Cantwell.

only 2 midfielders have more accurate passes per game, McGregor and Lundstrum.

only 6 players have created more “big chances”.

only 4 players have more accurate long balls per game.

But apart from those things he’s pretty **** I suppose.

https://www.sofascore.com/tournament/football/scotland/premiership/36#id:52588,tab:top_players

Love the guy, but that was a horrific performance yesterday. Never put a foot right.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    He’s a midfielder, a creative one - which is what Joe should be but isn’t 👍 remember, Joe was originally a winger which means he was brought through the system as a “creative player”. He shows nothing of that in games that matter, end of story. He’s never ever turned in man of the match performances again Hearts, Celtic, Rangers or Aberdeen. He’s nearly always been on the losing side. He’s meant to be the player who creates, drives the team, leads by example. You simply love Joe, that’s your call and absolutely entitled to it mate - no one can criticise him in your eyes. I watch him closely every game and he’s a good player playing within himself and has no inner built drive to motivate those around him whilst himself striving week in week out to play at his peak in very important games.

Joe has turned in many good performances against those sides. He has assists in both games at Pittodrie this season. He had 2 assists against Aberdeen last season as well, and 2 against Rangers. He scored in both our successful ties in Europe this season. He is a deeper midfielder. He isn't like Campbell, McGinley etc. getting into the box. He moves us forward, takes it from the defense, wins it back etc. Things he does well.

You are more than welcome to criticism him. Just don't lie and make stuff (that I can quite easily prove wrong) up.

I couldnae define loads of footballers roles, I dinnae feel embarrassed about it though.

I don’t need to be able to pigeon hole a player into a role, like it’s Football Manager on the PC, to know Newell and McCowan are different types of player.

However, 5 years at the club, and last season he got player and players player of the year. So whatever role he’s playing he’s obviously doing it pretty well.

This season -

only 6 players in the league have more assists, he’s got as many as Calum Mcgregor and more than Todd Cantwell.

only 2 midfielders have more accurate passes per game, McGregor and Lundstrum.

only 6 players have created more “big chances”.

only 4 players have more accurate long balls per game.

But apart from those things he’s pretty **** I suppose.

https://www.sofascore.com/tournament...ab:top_players
    Not really the stats of an inconsistent player.

Coaching Staff
    I’d take better players in every position we have, but replacing Joe Newell would be down the bottom of my list of priorities
    This.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Regal View Post
    Love the guy, but that was a horrific performance yesterday. Never put a foot right.
    This too!

Surely not a light bulb moment? We’ve been lacking leadership on the pitch for years. Hanlon and Stevenson were never natural leaders, Joe certainly isn’t. Look at his reaction any time we lose a goal. Nothing. No geeing up the team. Porteous tried to take on a leadership role but ended up bullying less experienced team mates, especially in games where he made one of his goal costing bloopers. We need a real leader at the back and someone in the middle of the pitch as well. ALF is probably the closest we have to a real leader on thr pitch just now.
    Certainly doesn't seem to have leadership qualities. There was a point in our game were he was indicating to NMW to pass the ball who continued to carry on and drive forward with it .

Remember saying after Monty's first game when Killie came back from 2-0 that the midfield collapsed and Newell was awful . He's either a Rolls-Royce or a luxury we can't afford to have in midfield , been happening too often with Joe in games I'm afraid . Don't know about a light bulb moment though anyone that doesn't admit that , theres a case of the lights are on but theres nobody at home .

Certainly doesn't seem to have leadership qualities. There was a point in our game were he was indicating to NMW to pass the ball who continued to carry on and drive forward with it .

Remember saying after Monty's first game when Killie came back from 2-0 that the midfield collapsed and Newell was awful . He's either a Rolls-Royce or a luxury we can't afford to have in midfield , been happening too often with Joe in games I'm afraid . Don't know about a light bulb moment though anyone that doesn't admit that , theres a case of the lights are on but theres nobody at home .
    The midfield collapsed because Jeggo went off injured. It wasn't because Newell was awful. They were 3 against 2 in the middle and doing okay until then. Naturally hard to keep it up for 90 minutes.

I don't get the idea he's a luxury. He grafts as hard as any of our players. Youan and Boyle are luxuries.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    The midfield collapsed because Jeggo went off injured. It wasn't because Newell was awful. They were 3 against 2 in the middle and doing okay until then. Naturally hard to keep it up for 90 minutes.

I don't get the idea he's a luxury. He grafts as hard as any of our players. Youan and Boyle are luxuries.
    Jeggo didn’t go off injured.

Jeggo didn’t go off injured.
    Sorry, you're correct. Doidge did. Think we struggled to hold it up after that. Don't really remember thinking Newell was to blame. We lost 2 poor goals.

Gamer IDs

Kilmarnock got back into the game because Rocky was horse ****. All over the place (without being anywhere useful) for the first goal, then diving about like Fabio Silva and costing us the second.

That game we spent the second half getting battered down the left and right hand sides by Danny Armstrong and Matty Kennedy. Trying to shift that onto Joe Newell is a nonsense.

Make these threads stop!!

Every single time Newell isn't great (and even when he is not great he is still very good) the same thread appears populated by the same posters saying the same things.

Joe Newell is not the problem!!

And at least re-use an existing thread for this dull echo chamber, rather than a new one every time!!

There’s only 6 players in the SPL this season with more assists than Newell. I’d love him to be quality every week, but that sort of player is few and far between.
    If he was quality every week he wouldn't be at Hibs. When we get quality players it's because they have a flaw that bigger clubs won't accept

Kilmarnock got back into the game because Rocky was horse ****. All over the place (without being anywhere useful) for the first goal, then diving about like Fabio Silva and costing us the second.

That game we spent the second half getting battered down the left and right hand sides by Danny Armstrong and Matty Kennedy. Trying to shift that onto Joe Newell is a nonsense.
    Rocky was all over the place because he had to cover the LB position as we play with attacking fullbacks . After going 2-0 up Killie took control and put us under severe pressure which is why they came back from 2-0 . Like alot of games this year our midfield was weak . If Rocky was Horse **** in it ,what was the captain on Saturday ? .

Gamer IDs

Rocky was all over the place because he had to cover the LB position as we play with attacking fullbacks . After going 2-0 up Killie took control and put us under severe pressure which is why they came back from 2-0 . Like alot of games this year our midfield was weak . If Rocky was Horse **** in it ,what was the captain on Saturday ? .
    Newell was **** on Saturday. I don't think anyone has said otherwise. You're the one that brought up that Killie game though, not me. I dunno why you'd chose a game that we didn't lose because of Joe Newell, to make a point about how **** you think Joe Newell is?

@hibs.net private member
    When we need to take the game to teams Newell is a man down. Pinging quarterback like passes over the heads of full backs/wingers is so frustrating.

He thinks he’s great but really he is terrible.

Need to get rid asap.

Captain, don’t make me laugh.

Newell was **** on Saturday. I don't think anyone has said otherwise. You're the one that brought up that Killie game though, not me. I dunno why you'd chose a game that we didn't lose because of Joe Newell, to make a point about how **** you think Joe Newell is?
    I actually don't think Newells ***** . On his day he's very good and is like a Rolls Royce in midfield , other times like against St Johnstone he's a luxury player we can't afford to carry . I brought up the Killie game because he give the ball away 3 or 4 times that day and the Killie midfield came back into the game and dominated ours . While I agree there's issues with the defence the midfield all season has been the main problem imo .

Think you missed the point. Its been obvious for years we’ve lacked true leadership on the pitch. Not just something thats happened this season

Your critique of Joe Newell’s performances is way wide of the mark. He’s been very good in most of the games this season. A luxury we can’t afford? A nonsense statement.

Think you missed the point. Its been obvious for years we’ve lacked true leadership on the pitch. Not just something thats happened this season

Your critique of Joe Newell’s performances is way wide of the mark. He’s been very good in most of the games this season. A luxury we can’t afford? A nonsense statement.
    Nobody in this team has been very good in most of the games this season.

Why are the standards we expect of managers/administrators so much higher than those we expect of players?
    Last edited by CapitalGreen; 08-04-2024 at 01:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Nobody in this team has been very good in most of the games this season.

Why are the standards we expect of managers/administrators such much higher than those we expect of players?
    I’m struggling to come up with a player of the season such has been the inability of any player to be consistently good.

Re Newell he’s not been consistently good or consistently bad this season, he’s been consistently inconsistent .

I've watched games were Joe's been excellent in and games were he's not , has he been very good in most is debatable imo though I suppose as a Joe Newell fan you'll not admit that though . The proof was in the pudding on Saturday when a 21 year old sub was our best midfielder. Both Newell and Marcondes had poor games though more so Joe and not for the first time this year unfortunately.

I've watched games were Joe's been excellent in and games were he's not , has he been very good in most is debatable imo though I suppose as a Joe Newell fan you'll not admit that though . The proof was in the pudding on Saturday when a 21 year old sub was our best midfielder. Both Newell and Marcondes had poor games though more so Joe and not for the first time this year unfortunately.
    Joe had a poor game by his standards Saturday. He's been better than NMW since both have been together here.

Joe has had many more good games than bad this season. Days like Saturday have been rare.

It’s funny how it’s always certain players picked out.

Other than myself moaning about him, I’ve seen next to no criticism for Boyle on Saturday.

He was missing/hiding far more than Joe was.

Wasn’t Newells best game, but I don’t have for one second he was hiding etc,

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    It’s funny how it’s always certain players picked out.

Other than myself moaning about him, I’ve seen next to no criticism for Boyle on Saturday.

He was missing/hiding far more than Joe was.

Wasn’t Newells best game, but I don’t have for one second he was hiding etc,
    If you ask someone to explain "hiding" in the context of Joe Newell they don't respond.