hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gray turned up in some big moments. An absolutely ****ing god for his cup goal, but it was the Alloas and Falkirks that cost us promotion.
    Think Gray was okay in the premier league. No better than miller or Cadden are though. He got hooked in a semi final against Celtic after a pretty disastrous first half.

Joe wasn't good yesterday. But where is the Boyle criticism? He's a big player, who's been missing many times in big games, who costs us a lot of money, who was utter ***** yesterday. Id be getting rid of him before Joe.
    Your point about Boyle is a fair one… and he certainly wasn’t spared pretty heavy criticism from the group I was poring over the game with in the pub post-match yesterday.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_1875 View Post
    The debate has been done to death imo.

He will always be a source of frustration as we know he can be brilliant but when you throw in a few shockers like yesterday folk will rightly question his contribution to our lack of success. I do feel that there is some over the top criticism of him though.

I’d be delighted if we could find better. Not sure we have anyone at the moment but it’s an area I’d be looking to address in the summer, whether that’s Amos and NMW coming to the fore with a replacement for Marcondes or more new players.

As for captain material again the options are thin on the ground. I think NMW could be a future captain but he obviously needs to cement his place in the side first.

I will add that a lot of non-hibs fans I speak to see him as a good player. Not sure it adds much weight to the debate but I find it interesting.
    Is that then something else we lack in our team , players with leadership? .

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    I think we do. We had so many guys in 2015/16 who would put their body truly on the line, and drag us through vital moments. McGregor, gray, Lewis, Mcginn, Henderson, Fyvie. It allowed Hanlon, Mcgeouch, Malonga, Stokes to shine as well, as that wasn't quite their style.

Coaching Staff
    I do agree with MW about Boyler though - he’s been very very poor since his return. His heads in the clouds this season.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    If he left this week I'd have forgotten all about him this time next week.
    Thought your opinion of Hanlon was nonsense.Now your comments about Newell .Holy ****.He was awful yesterday but honestly.Doyou actually watch Hibs ? If you do wouldn’t want to within fifty meters of you .

Newell can be good at times. So much of our play goes through him and I think that is a problem at times also. I don’t think he’s good enough to be the main man.

I always think how much would we miss him if he wasn’t there and the answer is not that much. He hardly misses a game so it can be quite hard to gauge. He’s missed one this season which was a shocker against St Johnstone. We saw yesterday that we’re capable of having a shocker with him in the team against them as well. Since the start of 2020/21, when he became our first pick in the middle of the park, he’s not appeared in 22 league games. We’ve won 11, drawn 4 and lost 7 of those games.

If he was missing more often I don’t think we’d miss him terribly and I don’t think it would have a hugely detrimental effect on our results. I think we’ll still be having the same discussion this time next year though.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I do agree with MW about Boyler though - he’s been very very poor since his return. His heads in the clouds this season.
    He's not been very very poor. I never said that. Why is it such extremes. He's been very inconsistent. Scored some big goals, played some great games. Wed have been worse without him. But he's been nowhere near as good as before the move.

Or just lost his pace which is making him less affective?

I just don’t think he’s the same player, simple as that. The pace isn’t quite what it was. I think he still has a role to play and can contribute but I don’t think he’s the player that would absolutely terrify defenders a couple of years ago.

Newell was posted missing yesterday just when we needed him most.

We need much better than 20 other players first, though. And since we won't be getting 20 other better ones, he'll be here next season.

Joe is a good player. Guys like David Marshall, josh Campbell, Dylan Vente, Jair, triantis, Levitt, jdh are average/bad players. Let's get rid of them. Then we can talk Newell
    Won't lose any sleep about that list to be honest, maybe Vente as I think he's decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    He wasn’t the only one

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    We needed everyone most. We need them all, every week. Joe does his job more often than most.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Newell can be good at times. So much of our play goes through him and I think that is a problem at times also. I don’t think he’s good enough to be the main man.

I always think how much would we miss him if he wasn’t there and the answer is not that much. He hardly misses a game so it can be quite hard to gauge. He’s missed one this season which was a shocker against St Johnstone. We saw yesterday that we’re capable of having a shocker with him in the team against them as well. Since the start of 2020/21, when he became our first pick in the middle of the park, he’s not appeared in 22 league games. We’ve won 11, drawn 4 and lost 7 of those games.

If he was missing more often I don’t think we’d miss him terribly and I don’t think it would have a hugely detrimental effect on our results. I think we’ll still be having the same discussion this time next year though.
    On the occasions he was missing I never thought to myself if only he’d been playing.

Good guy, I do believe he “gets” Hibs, but it’s a sad indictment of where we are regarding genuine leaders at the club when he’s the best candidate for captain. When we needed him to turn up yesterday in what most viewed as a must win game he had an absolute shocker. When we needed to beat Hearts last game of the season, he had another poor game. We had a chance of going on to beat them in the semi under Maloney, he stupidly got himself sent off. Those are just off the top of my head.

He clearly is a good player on his day, how often that occurs is a matter for debate, but when we really need him I wouldn’t bank on him to come through.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Hard to say, as someone else pointed out leadership comes in many forms that aren’t visible to the fans. Although Paul Hanlon as club captain may still take care of things like keeping standards in the changing room/training etc.

On the pitch I don’t think we see a lot of rallying, cajoling or leading by example when the going gets tough. The captain will ideally have those qualities but everyone should have a responsibility to play a part in that imo.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    On the occasions he was missing I never thought to myself if only he’d been playing.

Good guy, I do believe he “gets” Hibs, but it’s a sad indictment of where we are regarding genuine leaders at the club when he’s the best candidate for captain. When we needed him to turn up yesterday in what most viewed as a must win game he had an absolute shocker. When we needed to beat Hearts last game of the season, he had another poor game. We had a chance of going on to beat them in the semi under Maloney, he stupidly got himself sent off. Those are just off the top of my head.

He clearly is a good player on his day, how often that occurs is a matter for debate, but when we really need him I wouldn’t bank on him to come through.
    Agree with this.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    While you watch the triantis/NMW double pivot of hell? Youd be missing Newell quickly.

Sounds great. Hopefully another premier league superstar like Marcondes.
    I’d rather have Mccowan at Dundee. You’re a numbers man, how many goals & assists has he got this season?

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    I’d rather have Mccowan at Dundee. You’re a numbers man, how many goals & assists has he got this season?
    Do they play anything like the same position and role?

I'm really not a numbers man. I just sometimes must use them because people are utterly blind to anything else. My favourite Hibs midfielders ever didn't get many goals or assists. Stevie mallan did and he was brutal.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 07-04-2024 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    9 goals and 5 assists👍

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar

I'm really not a numbers man. I just sometimes must use them because people are utterly blind to anything else. My favourite Hibs midfielders ever didn't get many goals or assists. Stevie mallan did and he was brutal.
    Hard to tell, I don’t know Joe’s best position. After a fair few seasons now

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Newell not turning up in an important match, well colour me shocked.

Back in December there were folk telling me how our performance in his absence at McDiarmid Park was proof of how important he was. Well he got the chance to play against Craig Levein’s St Johnstone yesterday and was absolutely pish.

Get rid.

@hibs.net private member
    Newell is one of the most overrated players we’ve had in a long time. Decent once every so often. Never when it matters.

The fact he’s praised by some people so often is just another sign at the acceptance of mediocrity at this club.

Coaching Staff

He’s a midfielder, a creative one - which is what Joe should be but isn’t 👍 remember, Joe was originally a winger which means he was brought through the system as a “creative player”. He shows nothing of that in games that matter, end of story. He’s never ever turned in man of the match performances again Hearts, Celtic, Rangers or Aberdeen. He’s nearly always been on the losing side. He’s meant to be the player who creates, drives the team, leads by example. You simply love Joe, that’s your call and absolutely entitled to it mate - no one can criticise him in your eyes. I watch him closely every game and he’s a good player playing within himself and has no inner built drive to motivate those around him whilst himself striving week in week out to play at his peak in very important games.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    He’s a midfielder, a creative one - which is what Joe should be but isn’t 👍 remember, Joe was originally a winger which means he was brought through the system as a “creative player”. He shows nothing of that in games that matter, end of story. He’s never ever turned in man of the match performances again Hearts, Celtic, Rangers or Aberdeen. He’s nearly always been on the losing side. He’s meant to be the player who creates, drives the team, leads by example. You simply love Joe, that’s your call and absolutely entitled to it mate - no one can criticise him in your eyes. I watch him closely every game and he’s a good player playing within himself and has no inner built drive to motivate those around him whilst himself striving week in week out to play at his peak in very important games.
    There’s nae way Newell is playing the same role at Hibs as McCowan is at Dundee.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    There’s nae way Newell is playing the same role at Hibs as McCowan is at Dundee.
    What role is Joe Newell playing?

Newells a very good player.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    What role is Joe Newell playing?
    Hide and seek champion most weeks lately

Never a Hibs captain in his puff, decent player but we need a strong leader, not for me I'm afraid

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

Come on man, let the Mallan thing go.

Yet another likeable player who on his day can do great things, but somehow reflects the soft underbelly of Hibernian FC. Not good enough to do anything significant, but not quite bad enough to dislike.

If we want more years of transition, frustration and mediocrity, we'll continue to have players like Newall at the centre of the team. To those that think Newall is the heart of a successful future Hibs team, try place him in the Mowbray starting 11 or even in the 2016 Cup winning team. Not a chance of Newall making those teams. That's the benchmark, not the average - below average players he has around him. We need and must set the bar higher if we want a better future.