hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

Joe Newell

I was really disappointed in his performance yesterday. Didn't see any leadership or fight from him in he's our captain as i have of past captains like SDG , Rae etc . Maybe I'm being abit harsh on him though I seen other games like yesterday were he's been much the same . I just expected a lot more from him as the captain of the team, has he really got the qualities to be a captain?.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Get rid in the summer if we can.

Wed be a lot worse off without him imo. Been mostly good this season, and consistently. Not sure he's captain, but he's a good player. Id say at least 8 of yesterday's 11 need binning before we think about Newell.

It's a bit of a myth that Gray was always driving us on. He did on occasion. We also lost to Dumbarton, QoTS, Alloa, Morton etc with him. He also rarely played in the top flight.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Decent player, might do better relieved of the burden of being captain and leader of this current Hibs side.

We are generally leaderless, we need someone in the mould of Darren McGregor or Rob Jones to take a grip of games at key times, and to lead by example, in fact we need more than one of this type of figure in the team in my humble opinion.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wed be a lot worse off without him imo. Been mostly good this season, and consistently. Not sure he's captain, but he's a good player. Id say at least 8 of yesterday's 11 need binning before we think about Newell.

It's a bit of a myth that Gray was always driving us on. He did on occasion. We also lost to Dumbarton, QoTS, Alloa, Morton etc with him. He also rarely played in the top flight.
    Gray tended to come up trumps at big moments and whilst he didn’t play all that much in the top flight, he was always very comfortable playing at that level.

Some of our awful performances against poor teams in the Championship must be acknowledged though.

Newell wouldn’t be near the top of my “bin” list but it was another unfortunately poor performance at a time when we were needing senior players to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

It might have all turned out a bit differently had he had NMW’s drive next to him throughout the match - someone who is an excellent foil for him - rather than Triantis, who I thought he was falling over at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    I was really disappointed in his performance yesterday. Didn't see any leadership or fight from him in he's our captain as i have of past captains like SDG , Rae etc . Maybe I'm being abit harsh on him though I seen other games like yesterday were he's been much the same . I just expected a lot more from him as the captain of the team, has he really got the qualities to be a captain?.
    If he left this week I'd have forgotten all about him this time next week.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar

Unless we replace him with better?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Gray tended to come up trumps at big moments and whilst he didn’t play all that much in the top flight, he was always very comfortable playing at that level.

Some of our awful performances against poor teams in the Championship must be acknowledged though.

Newell wouldn’t be near the top of my “bin” list but it was another unfortunately poor performance at a time when we were needing senior players to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

It might have all turned out a bit differently had he had NMW’s drive next to him throughout the match - someone who is an excellent foil for him - rather than Triantis, who I thought he was falling over at times.
    Gray turned up in some big moments. An absolutely ****ing god for his cup goal, but it was the Alloas and Falkirks that cost us promotion.
    Think Gray was okay in the premier league. No better than miller or Cadden are though. He got hooked in a semi final against Celtic after a pretty disastrous first half.

Joe wasn't good yesterday. But where is the Boyle criticism? He's a big player, who's been missing many times in big games, who costs us a lot of money, who was utter ***** yesterday. Id be getting rid of him before Joe.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post

JN as our captain pretty much sums up us as a team, he has little urgency in his play 95% of the time he looks to pass backwards or sideways. Yes he is a decent squad player but should be nowhere near the best paid or captains armband.

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    If he left this week I'd have forgotten all about him this time next week.
    While you watch the triantis/NMW double pivot of hell? Youd be missing Newell quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Unless we replace him with better?
    Sounds great. Hopefully another premier league superstar like Marcondes.

I like Joe but if he played to his A game every time he would be a at least a championship player on his day good to watch

Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    JN as our captain pretty much sums up us as a team, he has little urgency in his play 95% of the time he looks to pass backwards or sideways. Yes he is a decent squad player but should be nowhere near the best paid or captains armband.
    What squad? He's the best midfielder we have, so he's currently well above squad player.

Plays plenty forward passes too.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Bizarre performance from Newell yesterday - looked totally lacking in energy and his mistake for their first goal was horrendous. He's usually far better.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    The debate has been done to death imo.

He will always be a source of frustration as we know he can be brilliant but when you throw in a few shockers like yesterday folk will rightly question his contribution to our lack of success. I do feel that there is some over the top criticism of him though.

I’d be delighted if we could find better. Not sure we have anyone at the moment but it’s an area I’d be looking to address in the summer, whether that’s Amos and NMW coming to the fore with a replacement for Marcondes or more new players.

As for captain material again the options are thin on the ground. I think NMW could be a future captain but he obviously needs to cement his place in the side first.

I will add that a lot of non-hibs fans I speak to see him as a good player. Not sure it adds much weight to the debate but I find it interesting.

He’s never captain material.

He’s got really good range of passing and a wand of a left foot but he’s poor out of possession and he’s not the quickest.

Saying all that, I like Joe and I’d keep him. Relieving him of the captaincy might help his all round game.

I might be being harsh but I’d question his all round fitness, he looks like he’s blowing heavily in games and struggles box to box.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    What squad? He's the best midfielder we have, so he's currently well above squad player.

Plays plenty forward passes too.

Given we aren't blessed with a very good midfield does it naturally follow that JN is a very good player as he is the "best midfielder HFC has"?

He is not a very good player and whenever we rely on him for a game changing or even positive performance, 9 times out of ten he fails. Him as captain really reflects where we are as a team.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I’m hoping Amos is his replacement next season alongside NMW. Certainly a replacement as a guaranteed starter.

A good player on his day, but the things he is good at don’t really influence a game to any great degree IMO. The stats with and without him over his time here, while not the only factor to judge on but still relevant, also suggest this.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    He’s a great player at our level in general and is undoubtedly quality. However, a leader/captain he is not.

In this league, especially with the degree of corruption and incompetence from the officials, you need a right moany/aggressive/determined bugger to get you somewhere. Shankland does it well for Hearts. Shinnie has in previous years in particular done it well for Aberdeen. Brown all those years for Celtic. Joe is not that man.

@hibs.net private member
    I think Joe has had a decent season but he was really poor yesterday. I wonder if Fish was one of a few who were not 100% as it is rare for Newell to be lacking in energy

Same thread every fortnight it used to be Hanlon or Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    Given we aren't blessed with a very good midfield does it naturally follow that JN is a very good player as he is the "best midfielder HFC has"?

He is not a very good player and whenever we rely on him for a game changing or even positive performance, 9 times out of ten he fails. Him as captain really reflects where we are as a team.
    9 times out of 10

Can't really have a discussion when such nonsense is passed off as ones argument.

Coaching Staff
    Been our player of the season which reflects where we are as a side. Inconsistency is his main issue and other then second half v Luzern I’ve never seen Joe rise to the occasion in any big game since he’s been here - not once has he put in MotM performances v Hearts or the Old Firm, not once in any semi final or final. We need much better than Joe, but he has been our best player this year, there’s no debate really.

I always find the captaincy debate a bit tiring as for me its not hugely about what they do on the park like we used to see captains do. Sticking themselves into 50/50s and grabbing games or shouting at people etc. Every player should be doing bits of that anyway out of personal pride.

Captains have respect from their peers so that when they talk, people listen. Or if they have issues they can trust them to help sort it and keep things settled. These are things we don’t see or know about or can judge. But I can’t imagine Newell would be given captaincy duties if he didn’t earn it around the training ground in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Been our player of the season which reflects where we are as a side. Inconsistency is his main issue and other then second half v Luzern I’ve never seen Joe rise to the occasion in any big game since he’s been here - not once has he put in MotM performances v Hearts or the Old Firm, not once in any semi final or final. We need much better than Joe, but he has been our best player this year, there’s no debate really.
    We need much better than 20 other players first, though. And since we won't be getting 20 other better ones, he'll be here next season.

Joe is a good player. Guys like David Marshall, josh Campbell, Dylan Vente, Jair, triantis, Levitt, jdh are average/bad players. Let's get rid of them. Then we can talk Newell
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 07-04-2024 at 07:10 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I’d take better players in every position we have, but replacing Joe Newell would be down the bottom of my list of priorities

Coaching Staff
    We need much better than 20 other players first, though. And since we won't be getting 20 other better ones, he'll be here next season.

Joe is a good player. Guys like David Marshall, josh Campbell, Dylan Vente, Jair, triantis, Levitt, jdh are average/bad players. Let's get rid of them. Then we can talk Newell
    I agree with some on your list but Joe hasn’t been consistent and always fails to arrive in big games - he shouldn’t be excluded from the list as far as I’m concerned. Yes he’s a good player but he lacks that innate drive you need to be a very good player 👍 he’s consistent at being very inconsistent

I agree with some on your list but Joe hasn’t been consistent and always fails to arrive in big games - he shouldn’t be excluded from the list as far as I’m concerned. Yes he’s a good player but he lacks that innate drive you need to be a very good player 👍 he’s consistent at being very inconsistent
    Joe is not inconsistent. Lazy, wrong, boring analysis. He's been consistently decent/good for 4 seasons now. Martin Boyle is inconsistent (these days) So is Vente. So is Rocky. Joe is mostly one of our better players, and maintains a solid performance level.

Joe plays really well when we win. Several MOM performances this season.

Joe also plays pretty well when we draw.

However with the atrocious tactics employed by Numptyheid Joe looks ineffective when we lose. It didn't help that Marcondes clearly didn't fancy it yesterday and Boyler wasn't showing for a pass first half.

Newell can't provide the midfield engine single-handed. If you think that his midfield partners have consisted of Jake, Jimmy and Josh in recent seasons he's certainly had his work cut out.

He will be here next season, hopefully with better midfielders around him.
    Last edited by RIP; 07-04-2024 at 07:42 PM.

Coaching Staff
    Joe is not inconsistent. Lazy, wrong, boring analysis. He's been consistently decent/good for 4 seasons now. Martin Boyle is inconsistent (these days) So is Vente. So is Rocky. Joe is mostly one of our better players, and maintains a solid performance level.
    Lazy and boring 😂 how many derbies has he won ? How many old firm games ? How many top 6 finishes or top 3 finishes ? How many player of the month awards ? How many goals has he scored ?

A solid performance is the very least I expect from a Hibs player let alone a focal point midfielder. I want much more than a “solid performance”. I want a creative midfielder to dominate a game and drive the team week in week out. He’s not got that in him.

Lazy and boring 😂 how many derbies has he won ? How many old firm games ? How many top 6 finishes or top 3 finishes ? How many player of the month awards ? How many goals has he scored ?

A solid performance is the very least I expect from a Hibs player let alone a focal point midfielder. I want much more than a “solid performance”. I want a creative midfielder to dominate a game and drive the team week in week out. He’s not got that in him.
    He is creating plenty this season. 4 goals 9 assists in all comps. His best return yet.

Are you judging him purely by our entire team's failings in the last 3 years? It's all you've really mentioned. He's got more top 3 finishes then many of this forums darlings, that's for sure.

Hibs have never in my lifetime had the midfielder you describe. Not even Mcginn did that every week. Your holding Joe to the standard of Luka Modric. Total fantasy.