hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lee Johnson revisited

Lee Johnson may have led us to some totally guff performances, but he also had the odd good streak with some surprisingly decent results.

In the hypothetical scenario that he had been kept on, how do you think the season would have gone?

I expect probably fewer draws but perhaps more hammerings (especially during the December period where we had lots of players out) but also probably more unexpected wins.

Overall I reckon we would be in a similar position but probably even more fan anger.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew_dundee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lee Johnson may have led us to some totally guff performances, but he also had the odd good streak with some surprisingly decent results.

In the hypothetical scenario that he had been kept on, how do you think the season would have gone?

I expect probably fewer draws but perhaps more hammerings (especially during the December period where we had lots of players out) but also probably more unexpected wins.

Overall I reckon we would be in a similar position but probably even more fan anger.
    Can only base my assessment on the three league games he had before he was punted. I don't think he'd have turned that around. We'd be 7th.

Difficult to even guess, would we have brought in same players in Jan window for example?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Exactly as it has at best. At worst flirting with the relegation places like Aberdeen.

Few extra wins, few extra defeats, few less draws.

Position would be much the same at best. Then again, those first three league games were as disorganised as I have ever seen.

Lee Johnson revisited

Johnson was a terrible manager and there should be no reassessing that just because Monty is also a terrible manger or worse.
    It’s like saying Fenlon wasn’t bad just because Butcher proved to be so much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was sacked by Fleetwood after proving we made the right call.
    Cougars!!!

Although he had arguably a weaker squad than NM he was still a crap manager and was rightly punted.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    No

@hibs.net private member
    No doubt in my mind we’d have more points and would have seen better football.

Would still have been fairly crap though, just not quite this crap.

Just because Montgomery hasn't worked out, doesn't mean LJ was a good manager

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    No doubt in my mind we’d have more points and would have seen better football.

Would still have been fairly crap though, just not quite this crap.
    What's that based on? There are plenty parallels from Johnson to Monty - bear in mind we also went into the final pre-split game last season needing a win against a brutal St Johnstone) to guarantee top 6. We didn't win.

If he'd been kept on, 'd imagine we'd be pretty much in the same position we are now

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Johnson was a terrible manager and there should be no reassessing that just because Monty is also a terrible manger or worse.
    It’s like saying Fenlon wasn’t bad just because Butcher proved to be so much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fenlon wasn't actually bad though. He inherited a terrible squad, fighting relegation took us to 7th and left with us 5th. Boring football maybe but he done a not bad job with what he had.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    What's that based on? There are plenty parallels from Johnson to Monty - bear in mind we also went into the final pre-split game last season needing a win against a brutal St Johnstone) to guarantee top 6. We didn't win.
    Just my opinion, not necessarily based on fact. I think we’d have been better results wise under LJ than we are under NM. I’ve no doubt in my mind it would have been better to watch.

Another one who’d maybe still be here had he learned that it’s just as important to keep the back door shut as it is to play attacking football.

Top priority for next season for whoever is in the hot seat.

Probably would have won a derby but lost to Livi

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Just my opinion, not necessarily based on fact. I think we’d have been better results wise under LJ than we are under NM. I’ve no doubt in my mind it would have been better to watch.
    there's some really brutal revisionism going on here. football better under Johnson? the football for the most part was dire under LJ. at least under Monty we play a passing game (and yes I know folk will say its too slow / negative and it has been at times) but there is a clear intent to play through teams - some of the 1-2s yesterday were lovely and if they had come off we'd have been celebrating some lovely goals. under LJ we lumped it forward too much expecting Boyle to win us a game. there was no plan B, no consistent tactics. I'd much rather have Monty build a solid base (which I accept isn't giving the results we want and need) and then push on next year with improvements to the squad.

the players monty has brought in have for the most part improved us - individual errors in defence and bad refereeing decisions have contributed to us failing, and failing badly given the position we're in. however do you really think LJ would have been able to attract a player of Maolida or Marcondes quality? his acquisition of NMW has been sound and he made a difference when he came on yesterday in driving us forward.

to suggest we'd have been better results wise with more attractive football is IMO absolutely crazy. Mionty has much still to prove for sure, but when you look at LJ under us and then at Fleetwood where he also got found out, it does come across as a bit of an anti-monty agenda to say what you've said.

LJ and Monty are like two cheeks of the same backside of a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    there's some really brutal revisionism going on here. football better under Johnson? the football for the most part was dire under LJ. at least under Monty we play a passing game (and yes I know folk will say its too slow / negative and it has been at times) but there is a clear intent to play through teams - some of the 1-2s yesterday were lovely and if they had come off we'd have been celebrating some lovely goals. under LJ we lumped it forward too much expecting Boyle to win us a game. there was no plan B, no consistent tactics. I'd much rather have Monty build a solid base (which I accept isn't giving the results we want and need) and then push on next year with improvements to the squad.

the players monty has brought in have for the most part improved us - individual errors in defence and bad refereeing decisions have contributed to us failing, and failing badly given the position we're in. however do you really think LJ would have been able to attract a player of Maolida or Marcondes quality? his acquisition of NMW has been sound and he made a difference when he came on yesterday in driving us forward.

to suggest we'd have been better results wise with more attractive football is IMO absolutely crazy. Mionty has much still to prove for sure, but when you look at LJ under us and then at Fleetwood where he also got found out, it does come across as a bit of an anti-monty agenda to say what you've said.
    I was happy enough to see the back of LJ and would be similarly happy to see the back of NM. I can under no circumstances imagine going to see a Monty team beat Aberdeen 6-0.

Quote Originally Posted by snedzuk View Post
    I was happy enough to see the back of LJ and would be similarly happy to see the back of NM. I can under no circumstances imagine going to see a Monty team beat Aberdeen 6-0.
    so you're remembering that this was a god awful Aberdeen team who had stopped playing for the manager? there is no doubt in my mind that monty's team would have ripped the dons side apart. we've played well in spells against teams this season under monty and with better finishing would (and should) have killed games off. trying to suggest that LJ masterminded some sort of amazing performance is weird - are you forgetting that it was billed as el sackio for a reason?!

Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    so you're remembering that this was a god awful Aberdeen team who had stopped playing for the manager? there is no doubt in my mind that monty's team would have ripped the dons side apart. we've played well in spells against teams this season under monty and with better finishing would (and should) have killed games off. trying to suggest that LJ masterminded some sort of amazing performance is weird - are you forgetting that it was billed as el sackio for a reason?!
    I remember the el sackio. It was end of January and we won to go 5th. Yesterday we lost to go 7th. Like I said, happy to see the back of both of them.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    LJ and Monty are like two cheeks of the same backside of a season.
    😂

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It’s an insult to LJ to be compared with this clown.

The football on a whole under LJ was infinitely better than what we've seen under Montgomery. There were many games I left feeling I'd been entertained under LJ. Under LJ it was too inconsistent though. Good runs and crap runs. The "streaky Lee" tag was pretty accurate but we always looked cabible of winning big games or turning a team over. Probably too attack minded.

Ultimately neither were/are achieving what they should with what they have at their disposal.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Johnson did better with a weaker squad last season, that says something.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar

A spiv. We’d have been comfortably bottom six by now.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Johnson did better with a weaker squad last season, that says something.
    Did he? Porteous and nisbet walk into this side. So would the big forward we had on loan.

Johnson was rubbish. Monty is rubbish. Should be blaming the dafties that employ them.

Gave us the best version of 4-4-2 I’ve seen this season against Luzern at ER, better than any of Montgomerys

The Lennon revisionism is bad enough, but I’ll draw the line at bringing out green tinted specs for that clown.

Should never have got the job and should have been sacked during the World Cup break.