hibs.net Messageboard

University research on the role of football in response to military conflict

Dear all,

Leading up to the Euro tournament in June this year, I am conducting some research looking at fans’ views towards the role of football in response to military conflict. For those interested in this topic, I have created a short survey that should not take up too much of your time: https://doit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...zZmrJfShOSBDDw

Participation is completely voluntary, but I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this topic.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by theacademic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dear all,

Leading up to the Euro tournament in June this year, I am conducting some research looking at fans’ views towards the role of football in response to military conflict. For those interested in this topic, I have created a short survey that should not take up too much of your time: https://doit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...zZmrJfShOSBDDw

Participation is completely voluntary, but I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this topic.
    Done

Many thanks Cat Stanton and anyone else who has completed the survey. I really appreciate it.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Done. Good luck

Many thanks JimBHibees and anyone else who has completed the survey. It is still live if anyone has a spare few minutes.

I started the survey, but I gave up when each question asked me to explain my negative answer.
    Sport isn't politics, and we shouldn't want it to be.
    Good luck with your research, but IMHO this is pseudo-intellectual bull, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by AngloHibs View Post
    I started the survey, but I gave up when each question asked me to explain my negative answer.
    Good luck with your research, but IMHO this is pseudo-intellectual bull, I'm afraid.
    I did the same

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    On IPhone and Chrome I answeree all the questions but could not click the continue to submit.

I think many organisations have got themselves into a fankle over things.

People - players, fans, owners etc have their own free will so what will be will be.
    interesting that political slogans are banned (so they must have some influence).

but who decided on the banner? Does that represent the whole support? You can see where the problems lie.

Ht further to this - I think it’s all become a bit throw away/ toothless. if we truly show racism the red card what the hell is going on in Spain with Vinicius ? Here in Scotlsnd speak to Marvin Bartley and Kevin Harper on their frustrations. It’s lip service. What are football supporters actually doing to make a difference other than wear a band, badge, lanyard? Cause it’s that that makes the difference. The absurdity of things was pinged out by the putting to oneside the issue of LBGT+ rights hosting the WC in Quatar. Different teams different stances and that principled English player - Henderson ? -taking the money in the end until his wife had had enough. Bit-brain.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

it’s relatively short —although a bit world - and I found it difficult to read and impossible to submit on my iPhone.

If you don’t ask the reason behind a Yes/No some researchers may infer so it’s right to have this although sometimes that we into what felt like a bit of a leap of link.

One final thought, Gaza Unkraine today but what about South Africa? What about Dr Socrates against the political Dictatoriship in Brazil ?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    it’s relatively short —although a bit world - and I found it difficult to read and impossible to submit on my iPhone.

If you don’t ask the reason behind a Yes/No some researchers may infer so it’s right to have this although sometimes that we into what felt like a bit of a leap of link.

One final thought, Gaza Unkraine today but what about South Africa? What about Dr Socrates against the political Dictatoriship in Brazil ?
    Go to a political rally, or organise one if you feel strongly enough. Nothing to do with football.

Done, but not sure what this could achieve

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    Done, but not sure what this could achieve
    It's for the guys Uni class, not an effort at world peace.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    😂

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Looks like it's university research programme of some sort, not a student? Lead researcher has already got a PhD and a significant publication record. It's a university in Australia.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Done

Go to a political rally, or organise one if you feel strongly enough. Nothing to do with football.
    so you didn’t buy the “Free Nelson Mandela” record then :)

football is for the people. Those people have free will. And that’s where we find ourselves.

Food banks is nothing to do with football but surely folks support that?

I’m away to read Doctor Sotcrates - maybe Andrew Downie will add to the thread…

football is for the people. Those people have free will. And that’s where we find ourselves.

No, I didn't buy the record. And if I had done, I wouldn't have taped it to play at the football.
    I've helped out at food banks, and I've chucked stuff and money into collections outside games, but as an individual, I didn't see myself as part of some collective political force. Nothing to do with football or being a supporter.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LewysGot2 View Post
    Looks like it's university research programme of some sort, not a student? Lead researcher has already got a PhD and a significant publication record. It's a university in Australia.
    Switch "class" for "research" then, it's still not a reason for him to get slated.

Thanks again to those who have completed the survey.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Done. Quite enjoyed passive aggressive venting on that.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    I completed the survey, but I thought it was badly worded and poorly thought through. In any reasonable survey you have to give people a "don't know" option, particularly for the type of complex questions you asked. Giving a well thought through and considered opinion about the rights and wrongs of both sides in the Gaza conflict, requires a more subtle approach than a yes/no answer

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    I completed the survey, but I thought it was badly worded and poorly thought through. In any reasonable survey you have to give people a "don't know" option, particularly for the type of complex questions you asked. Giving a well thought through and considered opinion about the rights and wrongs of both sides in the Gaza conflict, requires a more subtle approach than a yes/no answer
    I'd have to agree with that and for that very reason, I didn't complete it. I also felt that some of the questions and the order in which they were set out displayed an unconscious bias, although that might well be a reflection of my own unconscious bias

Academic, appreciate this is possibly the first such poll you've carried out on such a topic and maybe it's too big a topic to cover in a few short questions.

First Team Regular
    Done enjoyed putting my opinion across.

Thanks again to those who have given their time to the survey. I really appreciate it. It is still live if anyone else has a spare few minutes: https://doit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...zZmrJfShOSBDDw

General point - I think would be a nice touch for such requests is for those completing the survey to see the results.

More than happy to do that Viva_Palmeiras. Happy to do share the results. Just get in touch with one of the research team.

Last shout to see if anyone has a spare few minutes to help me out with this research project: https://doit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...zZmrJfShOSBDDw

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar
    Completed, good questions that get you thinking.

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar

I mentioned it to Andrew in our WhatsApp group, went to school with him.