hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Motherwell about to get investment as well?

https://x.com/motherwellfc/status/17...Ggie80A2m3HH1A

Looks like Motherwell are on the verge of investment from the US as well, i know the Well Trust are reluctant to give up ownership so it might be a similar minority investment as we received.

With Dundee formally tied up with Burnley, Dundee United apparently for sale and St Johnstone looking at American buyers, this could be an exciting time for Scottish football.

I do hope the Gordons and BK are minded to keep Hibs competitive in a landscape where other teams are going to be comfortable spending more than they do today.

2. Log in to remove the advert

US based family? Hope it doesn't start with a T and end with a P.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    US based family? Hope it doesn't start with a T and end with a P.
    That would be a rum deal. 😏

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    That would be a rum deal. 😏
    He would only invest in Rangers seeing that he is an Orange Man😁

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    He would only invest in Rangers seeing that he is an Orange Man😁
    And he’s an (out)lier 😉

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    https://x.com/motherwellfc/status/17...Ggie80A2m3HH1A

Looks like Motherwell are on the verge of investment from the US as well, i know the Well Trust are reluctant to give up ownership so it might be a similar minority investment as we received.

With Dundee formally tied up with Burnley, Dundee United apparently for sale and St Johnstone looking at American buyers, this could be an exciting time for Scottish football.

I do hope the Gordons and BK are minded to keep Hibs competitive in a landscape where other teams are going to be comfortable spending more than they do today.
    Billionaires too or are they just common or garden millionaires? 🤔

Coaching Staff
    Call me a party pooper, but I have often lain awake at night wondering if the Black Knight involvement is really going to make THAT much of a difference long term.

Sure, we’ve got a couple of players just now temporarily that normally we couldn’t afford, but it remains to be seen what does transpire….and if ongoing substantial funding is provided AFTER the much talked about original £6m buy in.

Added to that obviously is the possibility for other clubs to do exactly what we are doing…..so the next couple of seasons will be interesting.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Call me a party pooper, but I have often lain awake at night wondering if the Black Knight involvement is really going to make THAT much of a difference long term.

Sure, we’ve got a couple of players just now temporarily that normally we couldn’t afford, but it remains to be seen what does transpire….and if ongoing substantial funding is provided AFTER the much talked about original £6m buy in.

Added to that obviously is the possibility for other clubs to do exactly what we are doing…..so the next couple of seasons will be interesting.
    The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. I don’t think any of us really know what difference it will make, i think we all know we’re not going to be bankrolled to a ridiculous degree to the extent we’ll be knocking Celtic off their perch any time soon.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I'm always cautious on these things, but I'd call it worrying rather than interesting

What's in it for the Americans? Why do they want to invest in Scottish football?

These people don't give money away - they invest in order to get a return. What return are they seeking?

When has this type of strategy worked in Scotland? Perhaps McCann at Celtic?

Marvin Bartley said on radio clyde last night that he was the one behind Emiliano coming to Hibs.

Obviously on a far lower scale but same thing happened with Abramovic at Chelsea. They were all of a sudden blowing teams out the water financially and had success with it until the rest of the clubs got huge investment themselves and things just evened out again. We may get a head start on the other teams, we're still playing catch up with Hearts and Aberdeen, but if we prove a real success then other owners/ potential investors will see it's the way to go. What if we have half a dozen clubs with big investors in a few years? Things will just plateau again.

Obviously on a far lower scale but same thing happened with Abramovich at Chelsea. They were all of a sudden blowing teams out the water financially and had success with it until the rest of the clubs got huge investment themselves and things just evened out again. We may get a head start on the other teams, we're still playing catch up with Hearts and Aberdeen, but if we prove a real success then other owners/ potential investors will see it's the way to go. What if we have half a dozen clubs with big investors in a few years? Things will just plateau again.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    You can absolutely guarantee that Hearts would drop their lovely amazing trailblazing revolutionary fan ownership thing if it meant they could financially outspend Hibs again. They're probably working day and night trying to get that investment right now.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    And he’s an (out)lier 😉

He is actually an out and out liar!

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    You can absolutely guarantee that Hearts would drop their lovely amazing trailblazing revolutionary fan ownership thing if it meant they could financially outspend Hibs again. They're probably working day and night trying to get that investment right now.
    They already get £6 million plus a year extra now.Why would they throw that away.?

I do think that a lot of people will probably be disappointed at our business when the summer window shuts, not because it will actually be bad but I think some people have built up a scenario in their heads that Hibs will be awash with cash and will be signing 4/5 players on the calibre of Maolida and Marcondes (either in talent or pedigree) across all areas of the park.

It was probably important to get the deal done with BK just to stay ahead of the rest of the pack a little bit in the coming years.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Marvin Bartley said on radio clyde last night that he was the one behind Emiliano coming to Hibs.
    I'm lost - what's Marvin Bartley got to do with anything?

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    I'm lost - what's Marvin Bartley got to do with anything?
    Used to play for Bournemouth. Over a decade ago now mind you.

It was made clrear from the start that our deal with Black Knight wasn't going to be about just getting a direct cash injection. We've got increased access to a variety of superior resources now, inlcuding players that we otherwise wouldn't be able to afford.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

did the Galacticos have the success that the investment would suggest - or post Fergie Man United?
    Investment is part of it but not the whole story.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Obviously on a far lower scale but same thing happened with Abramovich at Chelsea. They were all of a sudden blowing teams out the water financially and had success with it until the rest of the clubs got huge investment themselves and things just evened out again. We may get a head start on the other teams, we're still playing catch up with Hearts and Aberdeen, but if we prove a real success then other owners/ potential investors will see it's the way to go. What if we have half a dozen clubs with big investors in a few years? Things will just plateau again.
    yes as we see competition don’t just stand still. The biggest thing you can do to disrupt is mess with the opposition. Take their talent be it players, managers or key coaches / development staff.

or disband the reserve league preventing a conveyer belt blooding young players.

we have seen it all. So no surprise if we get an edge others seek to even it out.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Euan88
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    I'm always cautious on these things, but I'd call it worrying rather than interesting

What's in it for the Americans? Why do they want to invest in Scottish football?

These people don't give money away - they invest in order to get a return. What return are they seeking?

I've been wondering this too and never seen an answer to it.

I get it if Hibs can solidify 3rd place then our investors will see returns through European prize-money, but if foreign business-folk are investing more widely (pretty sure at least 6 or 7 teams in Scotland have either received or been connected with American investment) then where are the returns coming from then?

Do they know something we don't? Such as major league construction (eg. a European league)? In my opinion I think combined European leagues are probably inevitable for Scottish teams, at least in the mid to longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble de Thump View Post
    It was made clrear from the start that our deal with Black Knight wasn't going to be about just getting a direct cash injection. We've got increased access to a variety of superior resources now, inlcuding players that we otherwise wouldn't be able to afford.

Did anybody else read that and think of Hyacinth Bucket?

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Hibs are getting a one of payment of 6 million pounds from Bill Foley and his group.
    EVERY season Hearts get 4 million quid gratis from their benefactor Anderson, 1.5 million quid gratis from their supporters group and sell 15,500 season tickets.
    Next season they will also score another 3.5 million quid from group stage European football.

By any metric we are well behind them financially so no need for them to go chasing investment to outspend us at this time.
    Hopefully benefactor Anderson will exit stage left sooner rather than later.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post

It's a question that I asked myself too and despite all the discussion on here, I'm not aware of a decent answer to it.

In the case of Hibs, the Gordon's bought a club for a bargain price and it would seem the overall value of Hibs has increased substantially. However, we are still miles behind our city rivals for the third place in football and financial terms (at the moment donations give them a 5 million plus head start every season).

You could argue a case for Hibs having much higher potential than the likes of Motherwell, in terms of size of support, but without huge investment what will really change?

As for Motherwell, I just don't understand why at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PHeffernan View Post
    Hibs are getting a one of payment of 6 million pounds from Bill Foley and his group.
    EVERY season Hearts get 4 million quid gratis from their benefactor Anderson, 1.5 million quid gratis from their supporters group and sell 15,500 season tickets.
    Next season they will also score another 3.5 million quid from group stage European football.

By any metric we are well behind them financially so no need for them to go chasing investment to outspend us at this time.
    Hopefully benefactor Anderson will exit stage left sooner rather than later.

You've absolutely no idea if the 6 million is a one off payment.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    You've absolutely no idea if the 6 million is a one off payment.
    Neither do you? However, the extent of the investment was subject to SFA scrutiny and as far as I understand, as it stands the Foley group won't be buying more shares.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Neither do you? However, the extent of the investment was subject to SFA scrutiny and as far as I understand, as it stands the Foley group won't be buying more shares.
    It was made clear that future investment has already been agreed when Kensell was taking questions on it at the AGM when it was approved.

Black Knight FC have scope to buy more shares and they will be doing so, they’re in at c25% after this initial investment, and have authorisation to go up to 29.9%.

That’s straight from the club, so we can say that it’s not a one off cash injection and that more shares will be bought.

I have been told informally that the Gordon family are happy to match donations from BKFC as well.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It was made clear that future investment has already been agreed when Kensell was taking questions on it at the AGM when it was approved.

Black Knight FC have scope to buy more shares and they will be doing so, they’re in at c25% after this initial investment, and have authorisation to go up to 29.9%.

That’s straight from the club, so we can say that it’s not a one off cash injection and that more shares will be bought.

I have been told informally that the Gordon family are happy to match donations from BKFC as well.
    Ok, so another 4.5% investment is possible. That will amount to c £900,000. Hardly game changing (why didn't they just go the full 29.5% ? ).

In terms of the Gordon's matching donations, what does that mean?

As you were an unwavering supporter of the Foley investment, what are you anticipating at Hibs and what do you think of the broader trend for American investment in other clubs in Scotland?
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 05-04-2024 at 09:58 AM.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Ok, so another 4.5% investment is possible. That will amount to c £900,000. Hardly game changing (why didn't they just go the full 29.5% ? ).

In terms of the Gordon's matching donations, what does that mean?
    The Gordons matching investments is a possible solution to your first question – if the Gordons put money in at the same time and increase their own shareholding, then BK can invest more without going over 29%.