hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar

Pyros at football

I read that someone has been arrested and charged following the incident at the weekend where a young fan was injured by a pyro at the Saints v Dundee game.

The report reminds us that it is illegal to0 have pyros at a game. I wonder if this will be applied to all fans?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read that someone has been arrested and charged following the incident at the weekend where a young fan was injured by a pyro at the Saints v Dundee game.

The report reminds us that it is illegal to0 have pyros at a game. I wonder if this will be applied to all fans?
    poor laddie, they were saying if it had struck him any lower the chances were he might have lost an eye.

folk know they are illegal but still bring them in, they've had random searches and i'm sure there have also been sniffer dogs? not sure what else clubs can do? maybe a long/indefinite ban if caught with them?

First Team Regular leithsansiro's Avatar
    Aside from it being the fault of those who bring them, I blame social media for the rise in their use. People see videos and stuff of pyros and flares at matches from Eastern Europe and think, aye that looks grand. It links back to the whole thing about trying to make it look good for other people. Do pyrotechnics improve the atmosphere when you’re actually in the stand or watching in the ground? Do they heck! Do they look jazzy and exciting in a social media post? Well, I’m sure the lads who all back the nonsense ultra culture think they do

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Was there not a fan who died a fair number of years back have it in my head a friendly between Aberdeen and Liverpool. A firework of some sort?

Got it wrong no one was killed but a Liverpool fan was jailed for letting off a flare

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jail-firing-flare-stadium-3545397.amp
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 03-04-2024 at 06:00 PM.

There was someone that died years ago after someone fired a flare gun across a stadium. Think it was a Wales game

First Team Regular
    If we need to have pyro we should be doing what the Scandinavians do and having designated areas where they are allowed and can be more safely used.For example brondby fans have cold burning flares that don't burn at a high temperature.
    Last edited by EGL2000; 03-04-2024 at 10:23 AM.

First Team Regular ruthven_raiders's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Was there not a fan who died a fair number of years back have it in my head a friendly between Aberdeen and Liverpool. A firework of some sort?
    Not sure at that game, was a kid in Brazil that died after being hit...😔

Quote Originally Posted by EGL2000 View Post
    If we need to have pyro we should be doing what the Scandinavians do and having designated areas where they are allowed and can be more safely used.For example brondby fans have cold burning flares that don't burn at a high temperature.
    Beat me to it. I quite like them and think they add something to the atmosphere and experience but they should be used in a controlled area.

@hibs.net private member
    No need for them at Football.

Adds nothing to the atmosphere/game.

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074
    Quote Originally Posted by EGL2000 View Post

Last year when I as over in Estonia, I went t a few Flora Tallinn games. They have a wee "ultras" section and they used flares, but they also provided buckets of water to put them in once they ran out and were disposed of safely. It's obviously a cultural behaviour thing, because they are trusted not to throw them and be as safe as possible (and yes the bar is open the whole match and you can drink in the stands.)

Over here i just don't trust the "groups" with them due to the general irresponsibility to misbehave with them and throw stuff etc.

Flares and smoke bombs do look great when used properly and definitely add to the atmosphere of games. Banning them clearly doesn't work so maybe time to take steps to allow them in certain areas

Only flares that should be allowed in the stadium are the ones that you stick your legs through. Hopefully the flares and smoke bombs will go out of fashion sooner rather than later,personally do see what they add to the matchday experience.Smoke gets in your eyes.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Flares and smoke bombs do look great when used properly and definitely add to the atmosphere of games. Banning them clearly doesn't work so maybe time to take steps to allow them in certain areas
    Maybe I’m getting old but I see no value whatsoever in filling the place with offensive, choking, smoke, contaminating people’s lungs, obstructing visibility and endangering supporters in a confined space.
    I could not believe that the Livingston game was not stopped on Sunday when the smoke alarm was activated. The ground should have been evacuated. Compromising safety like that was a gamble too far for me. Time fir the authorities to get a grip IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Maybe I’m getting old but I see no value whatsoever in filling the place with offensive, choking, smoke, contaminating people’s lungs, obstructing visibility and endangering supporters in a confined space.
    I could not believe that the Livingston game was not stopped on Sunday when the smoke alarm was activated. The ground should have been evacuated. Compromising safety like that was a gamble too far for me. Time fir the authorities to get a grip IMHO
    So that was what the noise was. HSE and fire brigade say that you evacuate the premises when the alarm goes off. Police should have intervened and cleared the ground, might have taught them a lesson. Grounds should install alarms and if they go off the area is evacuated out of the stadium.

Solely the preserve of bellends and utter virgins. No time for them at all.

@hibs.net private member
    I have been at Livi twice when the fire alarm went off. Once for a press conference/players training and the other a couple of games back when we played them. Neither time was the stadium properly evacuated and it seems incredible that this is allowed when in full view of the media.
    In terms of pyro my daughter got hit with one at Tiny. It was from the Hearts end but plenty flying over our heads from black clad numpties supposedly supporting Hibs. She got lucky and was unhurt but it put her off going for a while. I struggle with my asthma at the best of times and it is a nightmare when the pyros go off or walking to the ground when they are all creating their social media content which only them and their mates have any interest in. Given what happened to the young Dundee fan it should be a form of serious assault if you hit someone with one and a lesser but still serious offence if caught carrying them, combine that with long banning orders.

Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    What do you mean by 'used properly'? Do you mean official displays organised by the clubs? If not then I can't see how they can be deemed to be getting used responsibly by random fans. Same as fireworks, highly dangerous in the hands of those who have no regard to who they might hurt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68721761

Bit off topic, but as well as the smoke alarm being activated and no evacuation taking place, how come Livi are getting all hot and bothered about this banner being hauled into the ground? It's up to the club/police/stewards to enforce the ban surely? Why wasn't it prevented from being brought in? Its not like it can have been hard to spot.

I loathe the arrogance of Celtic and Rangers fans.
    Last edited by He's here!; 03-04-2024 at 06:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post

Bit off topic, but as well as the smoke alarm being activated and no evacuating place, how come Livi are getting all hot and bothered about this banner being hauled into the ground? It's up to the club/police/stewards to enforce the ban surely? Why wasn't it prevented from being brought in? It’s not like it can have been hard to spot.
    It must have been the size of a roll of carpet!

I’m glad they did it though, it’s very relevant to their history as a club from a Scottish city to commemorate an event that happened over 100 years ago in a different country in the stadium of a club not even formed at the time.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

Bit off topic, but as well as the smoke alarm being activated and no evacuation taking place, how come Livi are getting all hot and bothered about this banner being hauled into the ground? It's up to the club/police/stewards to enforce the ban surely? Why wasn't it prevented from being brought in? Its not like it can have been hard to spot.

I loathe the arrogance of Celtic and Rangers fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

I’m glad they did it though, it’s very relevant to their history as a club from a Scottish city to commemorate an event that happened over 100 years ago in a different country in the stadium of a club not even formed at the time.

Testimonial Due one day maybe...'s Avatar
    Let’s just have a huge sprinkler system on the roof of our away end and just soak every fkr if they dare set them off 😁

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074
    Quote Originally Posted by one day maybe... View Post
    Let’s just have a huge sprinkler system on the roof of our away end and just soak every fkr if they dare set them off
    Now that’s an idea, call it an automatic fire suppression system, and if they all got drenched it would be their own fault. A few warning signs up and jobs a good’un as they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Jeez, are the matching outfits Green Brigade 'uniform'? They look very self-important.

Bewildering that they were were just nodded through the emergency gate hauling that thing. It's potentially lethal.

Pyros at football

Pyro is dangerous, I personally like it on a very primitive level but I acknowledge that it’s not something to be mucked around with.

On that topic, anyone remember that Rangers fan that blew his hand up in George square with a pound shop smoke bomb? Grim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

Maybe I’ve chosen the wrong level of drams for this response and I do get the intended irony in your post. For me, I just find the choices of that badly influenced group of clones (yes I meant clones) deeply depressing. A relative of mine was one of the leaders of that 1916 uprising and executed for his trouble. Not that distant a relative either. His actions, beliefs and bravery make him an historical Irish hero. That said, I can see no place for it in Scottish football, or any football for that matter. The only reason I see for this stuff being brought up in Scottish football is so that two sets of, very shallow and narrow minded, football supporters can bait each other over historical stuff they know little or nothing about. As for the badly led group of impressionable youngsters, dressed in black, in our fanbase? Get a life, you are being led in to being a sickening parody of wanabe somethings. Just stop it! Why not try this this weekend? Drop the dark stuff, make green and white your uniform of match day choice and kick off some traditional Hibs songs. The people around you will get behind it and you will have achieved more, in one St Johnstone game than in the combined total of every other game you’ve attended. Something to be properly proud of , being leaders not being led. Then show people you can raise the spirits at every game thereafter without the need for offensive or aggressive chants and behaviour. That’s when you’ll stand out as different from the rest, as leaders not followers.
    Oh! And can you get rid of the damn drum? Please?
    Last edited by CentreLine; 03-04-2024 at 09:51 PM.

Pyros at football

Maybe I’ve chosen the wrong level of drams for this response and I do get the intended irony in your post. For me, I just find the choices of that badly influenced group of clones (yes I meant clones) deeply depressing. A relative of mine was one of the leaders of that 1916 uprising and executed for his trouble. Not that distant a relative either. His actions, beliefs and bravery make him an historical Irish hero. That said, I can see no place for it in Scottish football, or any football for that matter. The only reason I see for this stuff being brought up in Scottish football is so that two sets of, very shallow and narrow minded, football supporters can bait each other over historical stuff they know little or nothing about. As for the badly led group of impressionable youngsters, dressed in black, in our fanbase? Get a life, you are being led in to being a sickening parody of wanabe somethings. Just stop it! Why not try this this weekend? Drop the dark stuff, make green and white your uniform of match day choice and kick off some traditional Hibs songs. The people around you will get behind it and you will have achieved more, in one St Johnstone game than you have achieved more in one game Yvan in the combined total of every other game you’ve attended. Something to be properly proud of , being leaders not being led. Then show people you can raise the spirits at every game thereafter without the need for offensive or aggressive chants and behaviour. That’s when you’ll stand out as different from the rest, as leaders not followers.
    Not gonna ask you to name drop but your relative was a brave man, god bless him and you.

Nothing to do with football though, as you quite rightly say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ErinGoBraghHFC; 03-04-2024 at 09:52 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Jeez, are the matching outfits Green Brigade 'uniform'? They look very self-important.

Bewildering that they were were just nodded through the emergency gate hauling that thing. It's potentially lethal.
    They were forcing the gate and it was opened for safety reasons, pretty much which they and their smelly neighbours do at most away games, the overcrowding is unreal and they seem to get away with it without much of a peep

Livingston condemned the actions and had agreed for a couple of banners but as mentioned those ***** forced their way into the ground to display their ultra long banner

Maybe I’ve chosen the wrong level of drams for this response and I do get the intended irony in your post. For me, I just find the choices of that badly influenced group of clones (yes I meant clones) deeply depressing. A relative of mine was one of the leaders of that 1916 uprising and executed for his trouble. Not that distant a relative either. His actions, beliefs and bravery make him an historical Irish hero. That said, I can see no place for it in Scottish football, or any football for that matter. The only reason I see for this stuff being brought up in Scottish football is so that two sets of, very shallow and narrow minded, football supporters can bait each other over historical stuff they know little or nothing about. As for the badly led group of impressionable youngsters, dressed in black, in our fanbase? Get a life, you are being led in to being a sickening parody of wanabe somethings. Just stop it! Why not try this this weekend? Drop the dark stuff, make green and white your uniform of match day choice and kick off some traditional Hibs songs. The people around you will get behind it and you will have achieved more, in one St Johnstone game than in the combined total of every other game you’ve attended. Something to be properly proud of , being leaders not being led. Then show people you can raise the spirits at every game thereafter without the need for offensive or aggressive chants and behaviour. That’s when you’ll stand out as different from the rest, as leaders not followers.
    Excellent post

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    They were forcing the gate and it was opened for safety reasons, pretty much which they and their smelly neighbours do at most away games, the overcrowding is unreal and they seem to get away with it without much of a peep

Livingston condemned the actions and had agreed for a couple of banners but as mentioned those ***** forced their way into the ground to display their ultra long banner
    As you say ridiculous that gates are opened with assuming full knowledge of the organisations there to control safety and there is absolutely zero coverage of it in the media. Sounds like we are sleepwalking into someone getting killed or seriously injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post

What is wrong with the administration and governance of our game where things like this are increasingly happening and nobody seems to be doing anything about it.

Forcing gates, over crowding, doing what they want...its like the serious stadium disasters of the past never happened.

Ignored because "commercial interest" or unhealthy relationships at the clubs involved. like everything else that is damaging or antisocial that ever gets ignored .