hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure the police will bother enforcing it when it comes to rangers games.

If they do though, they could always start with ally mccoist.

Attachment 27798
    He almost says that with a sense of pride. Which says it all about their fanbase really.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    Not sure the police will bother enforcing it when it comes to rangers games.

If they do though, they could always start with ally mccoist.

Attachment 27798
    Ally has had the Glasgow polis in his back pocket since his playing days at hunvile.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Obviously doesn’t have them in his back pocket anymore, we’re the offences in Scotland or engurland.

Has he learnt nothing from his son’s incident.

Hopefully he gets arrested as he enters Ipox by the polis for admitting he will be breaking the law at the game.
    Last edited by silverhibee; 02-04-2024 at 01:08 PM.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Useful twitter thread by a Prof of criminal law (ironically given the context of this thread, called Mark Walters ) on what the act does/doesn't do. Spoiler - practically nothing to justify the hoo ha surrounding it.

https://twitter.com/MarkaaWalters/st...44785321259123

The replies to his thread are at least as enlightening as his own observations.

Spoiler - this isn't just about the dry wording of the law, it's also about the unintended (as well as the very much intended) chilling consequences upon public expression. There's plenty to justify the hoo ha about it.

This thread needs to go to the Holy Ground ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Jakey was reported to Northumberland police for constantly refering to India Willoughby as a man. It is recorded as a non crime hate event.
    Nothing was recorded by police. Willoughby's complaint was effectively dismissed.

Re football, I'm unclear where the latest legislation leaves us with sectarian singing from Celtic and Rangers fans. The SG's Football Act, which appeared designed to address this issue, was repealed by every opposition party in 2018 and a judge's ruling was that hate crime such as this was already covered by existing legislation:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-44307744

Does the new legislation take us any further towards addressing this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    The replies to his thread are at least as enlightening as his own observations.

Spoiler - this isn't just about the dry wording of the law, it's also about the unintended (as well as the very much intended) chilling consequences upon public expression. There's plenty to justify the hoo ha about it.

This thread needs to go to the Holy Ground ASAP.
    Spot on.

You're probably right about this being for another forum.

@hibs.net private member Groathillgrump's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Spot on.

You're probably right about this being for another forum.
    Why?

If the new law affects how we as supporters are allowed to behave in a football stadium it has every right to be debated on the main board.

Quote Originally Posted by Groathillgrump View Post
    Why?

If the new law affects how we as supporters are allowed to behave in a football stadium it has every right to be debated on the main board.
    Couldn't agree more .

@hibs.net private member
    Why?

We should be debating the impact on our support then rather than focusing on another set of supporters’ behaviour. Stones and glasshouses come to mind.

Why?

My concern would be that when you see how many posters on here display a lack of knowledge of what this law means (no criticism intended, the vast majority of the Scotttish population, plus the hefty chunk of the police force yet to be trained up on it will have little idea of its implications) there's greater scope for people to inadvertently fall foul of it on a more widely populated forum, creating a bigger headache for admins.

@hibs.net private member
    Jakey was reported to Northumberland police for constantly refering to India Willoughby as a man. It is recorded as a non crime hate event.
    What is a non crime hate event. If its not a crime then why is it recorded. I'd call anyone whatever they wanted to be called personally, but surely people have the right to believe that men can't become women and say that.

I don't think more people will be prosecuted at all but more will be reported as being hateful based on someone's opinion what is hateful.

As for the football nothing will change its all a load of kidology they will still be calling us fenians en mass

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Useful twitter thread by a Prof of criminal law (ironically given the context of this thread, called Mark Walters ) on what the act does/doesn't do. Spoiler - practically nothing to justify the hoo ha surrounding it.

https://twitter.com/MarkaaWalters/st...44785321259123
    Reading that thread and all it does is make me think what's the point in it? Where is all the hatred that this is meant to stop??

9 cases in 10 years is one point he makes, 2 convictions that he's aware of is another.

I mean, it's hardly the biggest of issues if these are the numbers we're dealing with.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Reading that thread and all it does is make me think what's the point in it? Where is all the hatred that this is meant to stop??

9 cases in 10 years is one point he makes, 2 convictions that he's aware of is another.

I mean, it's hardly the biggest of issues if these are the numbers we're dealing with.
    For me, the law isn't all about punishing people, though. Deterrence from dodgy behaviour is a major aim of laws like this. If they can persuade people not to act in a certain way towards marginalised groups, then that can only be a good thing for those groups and society in general.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    For me, the law isn't all about punishing people, though. Deterrence from dodgy behaviour is a major aim of laws like this. If they can persuade people not to act in a certain way towards marginalised groups, then that can only be a good thing for those groups and society in general.
    I get that, but am not convinced we need laws for this sort of thing.

It's not the law that stops people from going around being racist or homophobic, for example, it's common decency.

Or to put it another way, if laws were repealed, do you think we'd end up with people freely using the N word? No chance. It just wouldn't happen.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I get that, but am not convinced we need laws for this sort of thing.

It's not the law that stops people from going around being racist or homophobic, for example, it's common decency.

Or to put it another way, if laws were repealed, do you think we'd end up with people freely using the N word? No chance. It just wouldn't happen.
    That common decency, though, has evolved through a combination of social changes and legal measures.

It is a wider argument, though, to debate the extent to which the law should become involved in forcing those changes in attitudes. .... which is where you came in

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    What is a non crime hate event. If its not a crime then why is it recorded. I'd call anyone whatever they wanted to be called personally, but surely people have the right to believe that men can't become women and say that.

I don't think more people will be prosecuted at all but more will be reported as being hateful based on someone's opinion what is hateful.

As for the football nothing will change its all a load of kidology they will still be calling us fenians en mass
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68712471

Rowling has put that to a very early and very public test and the police have confirmed they won't be taking any action, illustrating that the bar for prosecution seems relatively high.

Credit to her for using her high profile to make an important point in relation to free speech and reassure those with less clout that they needn't fear a police visit for giving an accurate description of biological sex.

As you say, though, I'm not convinced we'll see much change when it comes to genuine offences relating to football supporters.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    My concern would be that when you see how many posters on here display a lack of knowledge of what this law means (no criticism intended, the vast majority of the Scotttish population, plus the hefty chunk of the police force yet to be trained up on it will have little idea of its implications) there's greater scope for people to inadvertently fall foul of it on a more widely populated forum, creating a bigger headache for admins.
    I saw something from a legal person that said there were around 12 actual prosecutions in England since it became law there. The chances of falling foul from general peach is minimal. Having said that, I think JK rowling is stirring up hatred without breaking the law
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

I saw something from a legal person that said there were around 12 actual prosecutions in England since it became law there. The chances of falling foul from general peach is minimal. Having said that, I think JK rowling is stirring up hatred without breaking the law
    Not the same law in England.
    I, have now come to the conclusion that I have no opinion that I would share one way or the other, ironic as this is a football forum dominated with opinions, perhaps the next stage is the work being done by the thought police. Fortunately they are still some years away from achieving this.
    More to the point will this have any effect on sectarian behaviour at Football grounds.

We are Hibernian fc
    We dont very much like hearts
    And we tolerate Dundee

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Excuse me Mr Policeman that bad man over there just said he was up to his knees in my blood

Could you go and arrest him please ?
    Basically 😂

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Excuse me Mr Policeman that bad man over there just said he was up to his knees in my blood

Could you go and arrest him please ?
    Grass!

Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    can we now report the huns and others for obnoxious sectarian singing.
    the cops say they will follow up on every complaint?

thoughts?
    From PS website

It’s important to report hate crime whether you are affected personally, or if you witness someone else being targeted. For example, you could be a friend, neighbour, family member, support worker or a passer-by.
    You should tell the police if you think it happened because of disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or transgender identity. It may even be a combination of these things. This is important as it tells us that it could be a hate crime.

You dont even have to go far if you cant be bothered with the online form, as theres a third party reporting centre on our doorstep:-

Milan Senior Welfare Organisation Norton Park, 57 Albion Road, Edinburgh, EH7 5QY 0131 475 2307

Ally McCoist now not going to old firm game this weekend, spending time with his boy racer son.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Ally McCoist now not going to old firm game this weekend, spending time with his boy racer son.
    Damn, I was hoping a couple of Glasgows finest officers would be stood behind him all game.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    We are Hibernian fc
    We dont very much like hearts
    And we tolerate Dundee
    Brilliant! best comment of the day, no the year!

Say No Hearts fan in Georgie,
    No pink bus shelter to sadden my eyes
    No Dundee non binary and some St Midden high priests , sorry Mirren,
    A few Raith beards
    Every day is Ramadan/ Christmas Day/ Zoroaster's birthday (delete as appropriate)