hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another ****show season where we’re discussing if we can pip the mighty Dundee to 6th place.

Oh to be a hibee!
    My thoughts exactly.

Lamentable.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Dundee and St Mirren are two hard working squads of players who know this league and are well suited to it.

We are a hodgepodge of overpaid luxury players, a couple of actually very good players, incomplete projects, and a few players a country mile short of this level.

Two teams look at the Benfica youth system - we take Jair, the other team takes Duk. Aberdeen and us look for a midfielder who chip in with goals - Aberdeen get McGrath and we get Levitt.

We splash the cash on a striker in Vente who after a honeymoon spell couldn’t score in an establishment of the night. Ross ****ing County get Simon Murray who has scored ten goals in this league for a dreadful team, Hearts have Shankland, Aberdeen have Miovski, Motherwell have Bair - and our best striker is 37 years old.

Since we ditched the recruitment concept that got us third we’ve ended up with an expensively assembled shambles. No wonder we have clubs like Dundee at St Mirren above us, their footballing strategy as a macro is a country mile ahead of us.

This is absolutely spot on and a real sad state of affairs!

Monty will lose his job and carry the responsibility and then we will be back in the same position in 12/28 months once McDermott, Iain Gordon and that clown Kensell appoint another huddy and fill his squad with schoolboys, EPL under 23s or nomads who haven't kicked a ball for 9 months!

2 years ago we were very unlucky not to make top 6 despite a terrible injury list and Boyle`s sudden sale , last year we were lucky to scrape into top 6 but unlucky not to make top 4 or even top 3 . The year before we finished third and in 2020 we were between 6th and 7th when league finished so rightly finished 7th just as our neighbours were relegated as the worst team in the league . This year it`s going to be tight again even if we win our next 2 matches which will be difficult .

If we don't win the next two games, we don't deserve to be top six

St Mirren might be the target as much as Dundee...

2 games before the split - Hearts and Celtic

We still need to deliver but they're not out of reach if we do...

Yet another season spent fighting it out just to make top six, an embarrassing state of affairs. Feel for the fans, this last few years has been a dire period for the club.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I fancy Dundee to get minimum 4 points and I think St Mirren will take something off Hearts. Two wins and potentially get some decent margins as GD may come into it. I'm not convinced we will get two wins and I'd say we are odds against finishing top 6. That could well spell the end for Monty and we are back in the revolving door of staff and players again. What we desperately need to do is be as organised and cohesive as the likes of Killie and St Mirren. It feels like they buy players because they fit into the jigsaw. We are basically in tombola mode hoping to pick a winner. We simply must have a plan and get back to recruiting for a squad not adding individuals hoping they can do it on their own. Ever since Lennon it has felt we have not had any idea what we are trying to achieve with recruitment. Big few weeks for Monty. I hope he gets the two wins and then starts to build a squad with depth, a purpose and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Yet another season spent fighting it out just to make top six, an embarrassing state of affairs. Feel for the fans, this last few years has been a dire period for the club.

I`ve been following Hibs regularly since late 60s / early 70s so over 50 years . 5 years out of top division in that time . Not sure about the rest but suspect we`ve been lower than 6th as often as top 4 or even top 6 . Aberdeen and Celtic are the only teams to have been in top division all that time but Aberdeen have been in bottom 6 in quite a few years and will be again this year ( just looked at table and they still could scrape into top 6 but very unlikely ) . Hearts have spent as many years as us in second tier in last 50 years and have certainly missed out on top 6 in many seasons . So big disappointment if we don´t make top 6 but not an embarrassment .

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    I`ve been following Hibs regularly since late 60s / early 70s so over 50 years . 5 years out of top division in that time . Not sure about the rest but suspect we`ve been lower than 6th as often as top 4 or even top 6 . Aberdeen and Celtic are the only teams to have been in top division all that time but Aberdeen have been in bottom 6 in quite a few years and will be again this year ( just looked at table and they still could scrape into top 6 but very unlikely ) . Hearts have spent as many years as us in second tier in last 50 years and have certainly missed out on top 6 in many seasons . So big disappointment if we don´t make top 6 but not an embarrassment .
    I get where you're coming from, but part of me feels like we simply have to stop accepting this type of season as par for the course. Bottom six for us should be an embarrassment, if it's not then those making a mess of running our club will continue to do so feeling like they're not doing too badly.

We have only won 2 league games in a row once this season..

We will probably have to win 2 in a row to make top 6 I think.

Dundee v Motherwell is a pretty important game for us too to see who gets the points. A draw would probably help Hibs chances.

Motherwell win next two (one being Hibs and they may sneak in).

It could come down to goal difference with Dundee also. Dundee play Aberdeen also who have just started winning again.

Dundee and St Mirren are two hard working squads of players who know this league and are well suited to it.

We are a hodgepodge of overpaid luxury players, a couple of actually very good players, incomplete projects, and a few players a country mile short of this level.

Two teams look at the Benfica youth system - we take Jair, the other team takes Duk. Aberdeen and us look for a midfielder who chip in with goals - Aberdeen get McGrath and we get Levitt.

We splash the cash on a striker in Vente who after a honeymoon spell couldn’t score in an establishment of the night. Ross ****ing County get Simon Murray who has scored ten goals in this league for a dreadful team, Hearts have Shankland, Aberdeen have Miovski, Motherwell have Bair - and our best striker is 37 years old.

Since we ditched the recruitment concept that got us third we’ve ended up with an expensively assembled shambles. No wonder we have clubs like Dundee at St Mirren above us, their footballing strategy as a macro is a country mile ahead of us.
    oh get a bloody grip. can you imagine the uproar on here if we'd signed Murray who was playing in a struggling Queens Park side and Bair who had hardly scored at St Johnstone?! likewise you can't really be serious about Duk who has a good game in every 5? Levitt was highly rated, and when many on here are arguing for more players who know the Scottish game, you can't say he wasn't worth a punt, and definitely not any more risky than McGrath who'd bombed down south.

I'd be interested to know who the overpaid luxury players are and the incomplete projects? the fact is we have a better team since the window and have been shafted by injuries, the international break and refeeing / var decisions. Aberdeen non penalty, hearts pen, ross county throw in decision - there's an extra 6 points we should have had that were taken from us. yes we should have been more clinical against hearts and defended better against county but you can't say the decisions haven't cost us. if even two out of those 3 are called correctly, the table and indeed the mood would be very diffferent. factor in our good performance against Celtic and for the most part v the huns in the cup and we really haven't been as bad as folk want to make out.

we're capable of beating st Johnstone and Motherwell which I think we will. that should be enough to see us top six and from there build the foundations for a good season next year. we can't keep changing the manager for the sake of short term success.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    We have only won 2 league games in a row once this season..

We will probably have to win 2 in a row to make top 6 I think.

Dundee v Motherwell is a pretty important game for us too to see who gets the points. A draw would probably help Hibs chances.

Motherwell win next two (one being Hibs and they may sneak in).

It could come down to goal difference with Dundee also. Dundee play Aberdeen also who have just started winning again.
    Your point about us only having won two games back to back once seems a fact a lot of people haven’t grasped
    That’s before you add in the pressure of both are must win games
    Still all to play for but will be interesting to see how it pans out

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skyehibee View Post
    Don’t trust us to beat Motherwell away when top 6 is at state.
    Fair enough, but if we can’t, we don’t deserve top six.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I fancy Dundee to get minimum 4 points and I think St Mirren will take something off Hearts. Two wins and potentially get some decent margins as GD may come into it. I'm not convinced we will get two wins and I'd say we are odds against finishing top 6. That could well spell the end for Monty and we are back in the revolving door of staff and players again. What we desperately need to do is be as organised and cohesive as the likes of Killie and St Mirren. It feels like they buy players because they fit into the jigsaw. We are basically in tombola mode hoping to pick a winner. We simply must have a plan and get back to recruiting for a squad not adding individuals hoping they can do it on their own. Ever since Lennon it has felt we have not had any idea what we are trying to achieve with recruitment. Big few weeks for Monty. I hope he gets the two wins and then starts to build a squad with depth, a purpose and quality.
    Pretty much this for me

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    oh get a bloody grip. can you imagine the uproar on here if we'd signed Murray who was playing in a struggling Queens Park side and Bair who had hardly scored at St Johnstone?! likewise you can't really be serious about Duk who has a good game in every 5? Levitt was highly rated, and when many on here are arguing for more players who know the Scottish game, you can't say he wasn't worth a punt, and definitely not any more risky than McGrath who'd bombed down south.

I'd be interested to know who the overpaid luxury players are and the incomplete projects? the fact is we have a better team since the window and have been shafted by injuries, the international break and refeeing / var decisions. Aberdeen non penalty, hearts pen, ross county throw in decision - there's an extra 6 points we should have had that were taken from us. yes we should have been more clinical against hearts and defended better against county but you can't say the decisions haven't cost us. if even two out of those 3 are called correctly, the table and indeed the mood would be very diffferent. factor in our good performance against Celtic and for the most part v the huns in the cup and we really haven't been as bad as folk want to make out.

we're capable of beating st Johnstone and Motherwell which I think we will. that should be enough to see us top six and from there build the foundations for a good season next year. we can't keep changing the manager for the sake of short term success.
    And there is the problem in itself. We would turn our noses up at Murray who has scored double the league goals of Vente who some on here still think is a decent signing. We have people on here constantly turning their noses up at Gogic despite him being the best CDM we had since Bartley. We constantly turn our noses up at players who go to Hearts - Alan Forrest, Blair Spittal, James Penrice etc and yet they have built a very capable squad that is a country mile ahead of any other non OF team in this league.

When we were all talking about potential DoF’s before McDermott was appointed someone shared an interview with Park and his time at Celtic - his M.O. was to sell a player for big money and to look for someone who brings the same qualities for a fraction of the price as there’s usually someone there if you do the job right (or words to that effect). It appears that we go the opposite way and try to do it as expensively as possible.

Our squad is - yet again - ****ing dreadful. Marcondes needs to not be a priority for signing as if there’s nobody competent to pass to, he can’t do it all himself. Vente doesn’t score goals so if ALF is out we have nobody else. Rocky is improving but still a bit raw, Fish isn’t progressing like we would likely have hoped, and Hanlon looks as if he may be away. That’s a need for three CBs and two strikers right there and we need consistent players to boot.

Jair isn’t good enough to replace Myziane when he needs to go up top, so that’s another two LWs needed this summer, along with another LB to replace Stevenson. We actually looked at Dylan Levitt and thought he was worth spending money on so that’s likely another two CMs we need. Expensive stuff and we also can’t afford these players to not hit the ground running.

We are way, way better filling the team with competent, reliable individuals that people on here turn their noses up at than the pish we’ve signed in the last thrrr years as that’s what gets you third. Look at Hearts, look at Aberdeen - and look at us under Jack Ross.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 31-03-2024 at 10:41 AM.

Ironically, not getting McGrath was the reason used to get rid of Mathie and change the recruitment strategy. This change, from gradual improvement to accelerated improvement, was something alot of people on here were happy with at the time. Unfortunately, as you highlight, it hasn't so far worked.
    Last edited by Is It On....; 31-03-2024 at 10:47 AM.