hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do like how Marcondes talks to players, and he has obvious quality, but do we, this league, suit him?

Fish is a strange one. He looks good in some games, Bambi on ice in others. Is it that just his age or is it just him? Tricky one, certainly wouldn't break the bank o over either of them.
    He’s only a few matches in, Emi and even more quality around him we’d see the best of him (also a pre season) but we should enjoy his quality whilst he’s here. Players like him can play in any league. He’s making Hibs better that’s all that matters to me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I spoke to a scout at Easter Rd a couple of weeks ago and asked him who he was watching. He said that he was watching Fish then went on to say that he is our player and was working for Man Utd. He said that Man Utd rate him highly and that wheels were in motion for him to play in the Championship down south next season .

I really rate Fish FWIW.

Had a great 2nd half to last season.

No doubt his form dipped a bit 1st half of this season but I thought the whole team suffered from the 442 with an abject centre of midfield spell. He’s been good again lately since we tightened up the midfield, sometimes very good.

I’d prioritise a cracking left sided centre half if possible - maybe someone not unlike Fonts when he signed. Fish would benefit from having an experienced, left-footed CH partner imo. I think we might struggle to get better than “on his day” Fish, and I think he’ll improve with all the experience he’s had playing first team football for us.

But if at all possible I’d be signing to compliment Fish, not replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbymark View Post
    I spoke to a scout at Easter Rd a couple of weeks ago and asked him who he was watching. He said that he was watching Fish then went on to say that he is our player and was working for Man Utd. He said that Man Utd rate him highly and that wheels were in motion for him to play in the Championship down south next season .
    Interesting. Hopefully they're pleased with his progress here and think about sending us another player or 2.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Said it several times, big future in the game. Great physical attributes, reading of the game and positioning is superb for a young guy and distribution solid too. Will only get better and go on to do well for himself.

First Team Regular
    For the sake of continuity I think it would be good to get both these players signed but I'm not sure how likely it is.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing

If that proves to be the case I would like to thank him for his service over the last two years and would like to wish him a fruitful and prosperous career and hope he has found his time here worthwhile if not invaluable?

As others have said he is not irreplaceable and will give us time to bring in a loan or permanent replacement

Nectar’s situation might be worth considering as a possible solution but has looked more than useful in midfield also don’t forget the lesser spotted Harbottle ?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Thanks for sharing

If that proves to be the case I would like to thank him for his service over the last two years and would like to wish him a fruitful and prosperous career and hope he has found his time here worthwhile if not invaluable?

As others have said he is not irreplaceable and will give us time to bring in a loan or permanent replacement

Nectar’s situation might be worth considering as a possible solution but has looked more than useful in midfield also don’t forget the lesser spotted Harbottle ?
    Harbottle not even playing for Colchester, although I think they’ve changed manager in time he has been on loan there.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    Harbottle not even playing for Colchester, although I think they’ve changed manager in time he has been on loan there.
    Afraid Harbottle may not have much of a future at Easter Road if he is looking for regular game time.

Not every signing works out, and I think this is one that falls into that category.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I really rate Fish FWIW.

Had a great 2nd half to last season.

No doubt his form dipped a bit 1st half of this season but I thought the whole team suffered from the 442 with an abject centre of midfield spell. He’s been good again lately since we tightened up the midfield, sometimes very good.

I’d prioritise a cracking left sided centre half if possible - maybe someone not unlike Fonts when he signed. Fish would benefit from having an experienced, left-footed CH partner imo. I think we might struggle to get better than “on his day” Fish, and I think he’ll improve with all the experience he’s had playing first team football for us.

But if at all possible I’d be signing to compliment Fish, not replace him.
    I’ve seen a few people say he was poor during the first half of the season but it’s not really true. Yes he had a bad opening to the season (remember he didn’t get a preseason with us) however after LJ was sacked he was arguably our best player from September to early December.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Afraid Harbottle may not have much of a future at Easter Road if he is looking for regular game time.

Not every signing works out, and I think this is one that falls into that category.
    Hopefully Montgomery or whoever the manager is has him back in the summer for pre season to get a good look at him. I thought he had a good game against Rovers in the cup them seemed to disappear.

How long has Fish got left on his Utd contract? Alright arguing about wages but think we'd also need to pay a transfer fee for him as can't see him coming back on loan. Utd will send him to a championship club.

I think over wages - Europe is the one thing players wont get even down south. The difference us sneaking into a Euro spot will make in any negotiations or recruitment searches can't be underestimated. It gives players something they cant get elsewhere, but also is a potential huge shop window for their futures.

Monty saying in press that whether we are in top 6 or not wont change summer recruitment is frankly nonsense (of course I understand he can't be saying its a disaster - but better to say nothing on that)

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Astounding that some don't see this tbh. Players like the don't play at Easter Rd very often.
    I don’t think a single person on this thread doesn’t think that Marcondes is a very good footballer - it’s obvious from watching him for a few minutes.

The questions being asked by myself and others are, is he well suited to this league, will he be productive enough, and be able to impact games in a way - on a regular basis - that will justify a huge outlay on wages?

The evidence so far for me is no, but there’s still some crucial matches to come though. So far his goals have won us a couple of important points, he obviously cares about playing for us, and he played very well away at Tynie.

On the flip side, I’d have been hoping for more by this point, and I thought he was disappointing against Rangers in the cup: poor on the ball, and got caught up in the occasion.

If by the end of the season he’s looking like one of the best attacking midfielders I’ve seen play for us, then I’d be happy for us to push the boat out if that’s what we can do with the new investment.

But if there are still question marks as to whether he will actually represent real value for that investment, after playing here for half a season, then I’d be happy to look elsewhere.

I’m certainly keen to see what he can do at Ibrox tomorrow - a player of his stature should be able to impose himself on the game, let’s hope he does.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

also don’t forget the lesser spotted Harbottle ?
    There's also Kyle McClelland down at QoS, playing every week but wouldn't imagine he'd be in the plans for next season.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

I wouldn’t be heartbroken if we didn’t sign Fish. I know he’s young and with that comes inconsistency and that’s exactly what we’ve had from him and there’s a good possibility he’ll go on to be a top player but I think we need to address our goals against tally!

A more experienced defender who’s going to help close that door at the back is what we need in my opinion.

As for Marcondes, I just don’t see how we can manage to keep a hold of a player with his quality.
    There’s got to be suitors lining up around the block for this guy.
    He’s been simply a joy to watch and if by some miracle we do manage to keep him I’ll be overjoyed.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    There's also Kyle McClelland down at QoS, playing every week but wouldn't imagine he'd be in the plans for next season.
    Yip thought he was looking good up until he got caught underneath the ball at Falkirk but does not appear to have progressed at a lower level ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I don’t think a single person on this thread doesn’t think that Marcondes is a very good footballer - it’s obvious from watching him for a few minutes.

The questions being asked by myself and others are, is he well suited to this league, will he be productive enough, and be able to impact games in a way - on a regular basis - that will justify a huge outlay on wages?

The evidence so far for me is no, but there’s still some crucial matches to come though. So far his goals have won us a couple of important points, he obviously cares about playing for us, and he played very well away at Tynie.

On the flip side, I’d have been hoping for more by this point, and I thought he was disappointing against Rangers in the cup: poor on the ball, and got caught up in the occasion.

If by the end of the season he’s looking like one of the best attacking midfielders I’ve seen play for us, then I’d be happy for us to push the boat out if that’s what we can do with the new investment.

But if there are still question marks as to whether he will actually represent real value for that investment, after playing here for half a season, then I’d be happy to look elsewhere.

I’m certainly keen to see what he can do at Ibrox tomorrow - a player of his stature should be able to impose himself on the game, let’s hope he does.
    I don’t have any issues about him not been suited to the league. He’s a good player and he can handle himself.

I don’t think he’s been brilliant though. He’s clearly a good player but I don’t think he’s played particularly well since Tynecastle (will exclude the game and a half where we played him in a stupid position).

When I watched him at Kilmarnock in his first start I thought he was going to be the outstanding player on the park most weeks and we’ve not quite seen that. He’s barely played football over the last few years though. I think if we managed to keep him next season, and he stayed fit, he’d be miles ahead though.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Marcondes is just back from injury so understandably not fully fit/match fit. Give him a pre season and I think he's an old firm standard player. Would take him if there's any opportunity at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    Marcondes is just back from injury so understandably not fully fit/match fit. Give him a pre season and I think he's an old firm standard player. Would take him if there's any opportunity at all.
    He's old firm standard now imo. Ive zero issue with his fitness. Looks as fit as anyone in our squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post

He's the most productive player in our team. Almost everything we do works through him. His movement in and out of possession is a different parish to anything we've had recently. His work rate is top class. He conducts the team. He leads by example. Ive not seen anything negative about him yet.

He's the most productive player in our team. Almost everything we do works through him. His movement in and out of possession is a different parish to anything we've had recently. His work rate is top class. He conducts the team. He leads by example. Ive not seen anything negative about him yet.
    He’s a good player and has made a difference. But things can be exaggerated at times (both ways). You look at the goals against Livingston and he wasn’t really. involved. Same up at Ross County. I think it’s hard to argue that he’s been more productive than Maolida since he came in, for example.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I think he's started eight games for us, so which of those have featured the type of performances that you're describing? Certainly not the home defeats to St. Mirren or Rangers in the cup. So which of the remaining six? He was very good at Tynie, certainly.

He's a good player, whom I enjoy watching - but I wish I was seeing what you are. I'd certainly be advocating spending big wages on him, if I was.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 29-03-2024 at 01:23 PM.

I think Marcondes has obvious talent and has shown signs of being a level above us so to speak.

His quality tends to come in first time flicks/touches imo round the corner where you go wow.

But, he’s also shown the other hand with some really sloppy passes and poor performances - both Ross County games comes to mind.

He’s yet imo to really control a game and thread passes etc that I think he can. Maybe that’s not his game though, maybe it is more of an arrive late and score goals midfielder and do tricks and flicks first time than a Scott Allan type .

Now I imagine it’s match fitness/sharpness that’s a result of the poor side of it than ability so it will undoubtedly come imo.

His performances to date give me a bit of hope that we can keep him longer as so far I don’t think the old firm will be rushing to sign him. But there is a long way to go.

He could probably earn a lot more even in mid English championship teams.

I really like him though and would be doing everything possible (within reason) to keep him. With a pre season in him I think he’d go to a new level.

Fish? He’s a really good player at times, other times I think he really lacks a bit of aggression or leadership. I suppose that’s his age/experience. Could we do better? I honestly don’t know. Would be be better with Rocky on the right and bring in an experienced left sided centre half?
    Last edited by Unseen work; 29-03-2024 at 01:57 PM.

Marcondes might not get £18k a week at a new club but he might get £10k a week which is a lot more than £5k per week when over a 2/3 year deal.

First Team Breakthrough
    Marcondes is good. But I think the real gem is Triantis
    Last couple of games he’s started to motor
    The ball sticks.
    There’s a real class act in there
    He’s the one I’d like tied down to a LTC

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Marcondes might not get £18k a week at a new club but he might get £10k a week which is a lot more than £5k per week when over a 2/3 year deal.
    Don't we already pay some players way more than 5k. Surely 10k is now well within our capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by Montford View Post
    The ball sticks.
    I think you might be broken fella.

Quote Originally Posted by Montford View Post
    The ball sticks.
    Not our player and here to develop for parent club - no chance of getting him LT. As long as we can have an improved pipeline of players on loan of the quality of January we will benefit hugely - but will have to accept seeing them return to parent club if we do our job of developing them

I think you might be broken fella.
    Classy response as per usual from you 😴 the fact you have taken a screenshot of his post and put it on your twitter ridiculing it is even worse Dave.