hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hibs in 1992

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Hibs in 1992

Ep 257 Hibs in 1992 (Part 1)

We go back to 1992 to look at the Hibs team and what was going on in the world at that time.

📺 https://youtu.be/f6t96YF3Sx4?si=uFAQWzX_KYJgdKNO

🎧 https://pod.fo/e/22a6d0

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ep 257 Hibs in 1992 (Part 1)

We go back to 1992 to look at the Hibs team and what was going on in the world at that time.

📺 https://youtu.be/f6t96YF3Sx4?si=uFAQWzX_KYJgdKNO

🎧 https://pod.fo/e/22a6d0
    Listened to it this morning, 92 ffs 😳

Some good players on that list namely McGinley and Murdo Macleod, could imagine McGinley excelling in our current midfield, one of my favourites anyway

Cheers again guys, good listen as always 👍

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    The team that would not die

Real Roy of the Rovers stuff

For a Manager who was so negative Alex Miller signed some quality attacking players

Noticed Crunchie had a Stand named after him yesterday at New Brockville

As others have said imagine Pat McGinlay in today’s midfield a real box to box player who chipped in with a fair amount of goals

So good we sold him to the Smellies and bought him back

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

For a Manager who was so negative Alex Miller signed some quality attacking players

As others have said imagine Pat McGinlay in today’s midfield a real box to box player who chipped in with a fair amount of goals

I'm sure that Pat's still the only midfielder to finish top league goal scorer in a season for them IIRC.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Does anyone remember David Nicholls from that squad? I can remember everyone else listed but have no recollection of Nicholls at all.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Does anyone remember David Nicholls from that squad? I can remember everyone else listed but have no recollection of Nicholls at all.
    Sure he was part of the squad that won the BP Youth Cup in 92 but played very few 1st team games for Hibs. Went on to Falkirk for a bit.

As miller left I was just getting into football and Hibs but was Miller really that negative? It always seems to be said but his signings would suggest otherwise.

I listened to Darren Jackson on PLZ soccer podcast last week and he mentioned it briefly saying how can you say it was negative/defensive

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    As miller left I was just getting into football and Hibs but was Miller really that negative? It always seems to be said but his signings would suggest otherwise.

I listened to Darren Jackson on PLZ soccer podcast last week and he mentioned it briefly saying how can you say it was negative/defensive
    The early part of his reign was dire. At one point in his first full season he had 4 0-0s in a row. Add in that he was a torn faced ex-Hun with negative charisma and you can see why people didn't take to him. Once minds are made up, they're difficult to shift but it's hard to argue a team with Jackson, Wright, Crunchie and Mikey O'Neill was anything other than exciting to watch. In the modern game he'd have lasted 10 minutes rather than 10 years.

His other big problem was his refusal to treat the derby as anything other than just another game. At the same time, Hearts under Alex MacDonald made it their absolute priority and turned them into pretty much unwatchable battles with Robertson popping up for the inevitable spawny winner or equaliser.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    My first season as a ST holder was 92, spent the previous 11 seasons as an Anfield ST holder, what a shock to my system it was😂

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    My first season as a ST holder was 92, spent the previous 11 seasons as an Anfield ST holder, what a shock to my system it was😂
    Got out while the going was good eh Scouse?

I remember him as a youngster playing in a first team game at ER. During the game he received a nasty head wound, he continued after treatment, but had to wear a hefty bandage wrapped around his head. I recall the fans referring to him as Pudsey Bear, the mascot of the BBC Children in Need appeal which had aired the night before!

Couple of things that happened in 1992 .

Quentin Tarantino debut " Reservoir Dogs " premiers at the Sundance film festival and was a instant hit .

Wayne's World hits the Theaters with famous car scene of " Bohemian rhapsody".

A hundred and sixty nine nations take part in summer Olympics in Barcelona.

Bill Clinton elected US president.

Denmark win Euro 92 . Beating Germany I think 2-0 .

Euro Disney opens .

About Hibs I found it interesting that our team in 92 had only two non-scots . While the team in our last game only had two Scots in the first eleven , we did have four on the bench in two youth players plus Stevenson and Hanlon though . Changed times I suppose. Is it fair to say the team of 92 compared to the current one had more steel about it too ? .

Enjoyed the episode

Vaguely

Played 6 won 2 Lost 1 and 3 x 0-0 draws

His claim to fame he helped Gretna to three successive promotions and played for Gretna in the 2006 Scottish Cup Final in a spawny win for the yams IIRC

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post

Quentin Tarantino debut " Reservoir Dogs " premiers at the Sundance film festival and was a instant hit .

Euro Disney opens .

About Hibs I found it interesting that our team in 92 had only two non-scots . While the team in our last game only had two Scots in the first eleven , we did have four on the bench in two youth players plus Stevenson and Hanlon though . Changed times I suppose. Is it fair to say the team of 92 compared to the current one had more steel about it too ? .

Enjoyed the episode
    Cheers, we'll be covering the latter parts of 1992 later, some great shouts for inclusion there!

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    It was still the ‘old world’ in 1992, pre-internet and mobile phones. I was still at school but remember it well. Kids today wouldn’t recognise it, even though it was only thirty years ago. No spending hours on here, for a start. 1992 was the year Sky won the football broadcasting rights; the vast majority of people still only had the four terrestrial channels. Everything was on the cusp of change into the digital age.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Got out while the going was good eh Scouse?
    Yeah, seen it all and thought now time to watch Hibs win the league. 😀

It was the last year that an English manager won the top division down south.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post

Euro Disney opens .

Enjoyed the episode
    That 92 side started to tread water a bit post-Skol Cup and the Uefa Cup exploits, but the addition of O'Neill and McAllister plus the emergence of Kevin Harper gave us renewed zip. As others have said you couldn't accuse Miller of being defensive with that side. Pretty sure I remember us going top of the league with a win at St Johnstone where we were a joy to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    That 92 side started to tread water a bit post-Skol Cup and the Uefa Cup exploits, but the addition of O'Neill and McAllister plus the emergence of Kevin Harper gave us renewed zip. As others have said you couldn't accuse Miller of being defensive with that side. Pretty sure I remember us going top of the league with a win at St Johnstone where we were a joy to watch.
    Not forgetting Darren Jackson who was a fantastic player for us a real leader on the pitch teaming up with Keef! Keef! Keef! Keef! to form a deadly strike force

Was the sort of player if he was in the opposition you hated the niggling greetin faced so and so but on your side you loved him

Vaguely

Played 6 won 2 Lost 1 and 3 x 0-0 draws

His claim to fame he helped Gretna to three successive promotions and played for Gretna in the 2006 Scottish Cup Final in a spawny win for the yams IIRC
    Yes, he did very well at Gretna. He was also a regular for Falkirk for quite some time.

Other youngish guys we had around that time who played more often for the first team than Nicholls were the likes of David Farrell, Billy Findlay and Mark McGraw, though from what I recall of McGraw he got injured quite early in his time with us after a promising start and never really kicked on. Gareth Evans tended to get preferred up front with Keith Wright.

Yes, he did very well at Gretna. He was also a regular for Falkirk for quite some time.

Other youngish guys we had around that time who played more often for the first team than Nicholls were the likes of David Farrell, Billy Findlay and Mark McGraw, though from what I recall of McGraw he got injured quite early in his time with us after a promising start and never really kicked on. Gareth Evans tended to get preferred up front with Keith Wright.
    Taxi for Farrell was a starter a midfield enforcer though probably not as many games as he would have liked Billy Findlay signed a five year deal as a youngster from Kilmarnock unheard of at that time Mark McGraw picked up a bad injury but racked up a barrow load of goals for the Reserves in his efforts to get up to speed Gareth Evans was another good signing though some would have preferred David Platt a willing runner for Keith Wright and Archigol
    Who can forget him coming off the bench to score a late double at home to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat against Dundee United
    Paul Wright was another ambitious inspired signing that sadly did not work out

Taxi for Farrell was a starter a midfield enforcer though probably not as many games as he would have liked Billy Findlay signed a five year deal as a youngster from Kilmarnock unheard of at that time Mark McGraw picked up a bad injury but racked up a barrow load of goals for the Reserves in his efforts to get up to speed Gareth Evans was another good signing though some would have preferred David Platt a willing runner for Keith Wright and Archigol
    Who can forget him coming off the bench to score a late double at home to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat against Dundee United
    Paul Wright was another ambitious inspired signing that sadly did not work out
    He started well enough, I remember him scoring a late winner v the Sheep on, I think, his debut. Then had his leg broken by a horror tackle from Jambo defender and part-time Gargoyle, Neil Berry. I don't think he had been back from that injury for long when we cashed in to get the £ together to sign Keith?

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    He started well enough, I remember him scoring a late winner v the Sheep on, I think, his debut. Then had his leg broken by a horror tackle from Jambo defender and part-time Gargoyle, Neil Berry. I don't think he had been back from that injury for long when we cashed in to get the £ together to sign Keith?
    Yip was criminal assault

Definitely looked the real deal up to that point

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Yip was criminal assault

Definitely looked the real deal up to that point
    I 100% believe that it was a premeditated act to injure Paul Wright that day. He was our big danger man and was the player most likely to score goals against them. It was a disgraceful tackle carried out by a total thug who seemed happy to seriously injure a fellow pro

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I 100% believe that it was a premeditated act to injure Paul Wright that day. He was our big danger man and was the player most likely to score goals against them. It was a disgraceful tackle carried out by a total thug who seemed happy to seriously injure a fellow pro
    Should have been charged defo deliberate and premeditated shades of Pelosi/Brown

Johnny Haynes was the pundit on the TV highlights. Brushed it off as "slightly late" or somesuch. PW didn't play again for a year, maybe a bit less? Doddys' hatchet man.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Absolutely. It was an utterly poisonous challenge and you knew right away Wright was out of the game. There was a great deal of anger in the stands.

A great shame as he would have been a cracking player for us had he not sustained that leg break IMO.

Absolutely. It was an utterly poisonous challenge and you knew right away Wright was out of the game. There was a great deal of anger in the stands.

A great shame as he would have been a cracking player for us had he not sustained that leg break IMO.
    ...but then we signed Keezbo..

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

It was a coward's challenge. Deliberately went out to hurt him, iirc.

@hibs.net private member

Did McGraw get injured not long before the Skol cup final? Against Dunfermline funnily enough

Played a part in the winning goal against the Huns in the semi as well