hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hands of hibs rally

During the hands off hibs campaign there was a massive rally up at Easter road, I’ve seen a few clips of it but would be great to see the full recording.

Would be great to hear some memories from the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HibsBragh; 25-03-2024 at 02:18 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsBragh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    During the hands of hibs campaign there was a massive rally up at Easter road, I’ve seen a few clips of it but would be great to see the full recording.

Would be great to hear some memories from the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    9000 odd in attendance I think

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    9000 odd in attendance I think
    Felt like more. What a day.

I was only 20 at the time, remember it as a sunny day and seeing Joe Baker do his thing (though at 20 I probably didn't appreciate how special he was to the club at that time).

There are press photos kicking about of our group but I don't think I was in shot.

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    Felt like more. What a day.
    It did feel like a lot more. Nowadays the attendance counters would have kittens at a 9000 turnout 😂

@hibs.net private member
    Not knocking the OP for the typo but for such an important moment in our history I feel that OFF needs to be properly spelt on this occasion. Is it possible for the admins to change the thread title to HANDS OFF HIBS as hands of Hibs does have a completely different meaning and sounds like the title of a B movie rather than a demand 😏

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Was also the date of the Stone Roses last gig before the broke up at Glasgow Green. I had to dash but wore my HoH tee shirt - just waved through security whilst everyone else was stopped.

Possibly a false memory but i seem to recall the MC joke “I see we have some Jambos over there - well kick the crap out them later”. Can anyone confirm?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I got accused of stealing a Hands Off Hibs t-shirt from one of the vendors inside the stadium which caused me to become a tad irate to say the least. 🤬

Over Christmas I was clearing the loft and stuck amongst the Hibs programmes found… sorry thought I had figured out some time ago how to enlarge the picture on here. [update: managed!]

Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 25-03-2024 at 06:55 AM.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Was also the date of the Stone Roses last gig before the broke up at Glasgow Green. I had to dash but wore my HoH tee shirt - just waved through security whilst everyone else was stopped.

Possibly a false memory but i seem to recall the MC joke “I see we have some Jambos over there - well kick the crap out them later”. Can anyone confirm?
    was also at both but had completely forgotten they were on the same day! Great memories especially Joe Baker on his knees

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Over Christmas I was clearing the loft and stuck amongst the Hibs programmes found… sorry thought I had figured out some time ago how to enlarge the picture on here.

Gold dust!

I've still got mine framed on the wall at home. There's still a few Hibs collectors after them.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Flew out to Italia ‘90 that day

Worrying times

I remember the plane landed in Pisa and the whole plane burst into Flower of Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Gold dust!

I've still got mine framed on the wall at home. There's still a few Hibs collectors after them.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    I'm certain I've got the larger poster in the attic. I think I'll have a look later just to be sure.

My memory is of seeing the support from other Scottish clubs and my first knee jerk reaction was, **** em, but soon came to realise how great it was to feel that support and revulsion for mercer etc. made me realise that we are part of a family, a dysfunctional family with wayward parts, but in the end they were there for us.

There was a smattering of Hearts fans at the away end and they were acknowledged by one of the speakers and applauded.

I don't think as many Hearts fans were against the takeover as sometimes gets claimed. Plenty would have been OK with us disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Kidd 86’ View Post
    My memory is of seeing the support from other Scottish clubs and my first knee jerk reaction was, **** em, but soon came to realise how great it was to feel that support and revulsion for mercer etc. made me realise that we are part of a family, a dysfunctional family with wayward parts, but in the end they were there for us.
    Yes it was a wee joke re the Jambos. yeah Istvan Kozma and Robbo spoke out at the Usher Hall meeting along with Margot McDonald and others.

I’d not long lost my dad - I’d be 19 - I’d started going to matches quite late and it was only at the moment I knew how deeply I felt for the club and I don’t want to over play or downplay human loss - that sense of loss and what it could mean was like a threat to the family.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    I was there but have vague memories of the day.

A 9k crowd was about right as I do remember being disappointed that there weren’t more in attendance. I at least recall Joe Baker on his knees kissing the turf.

It was a strange, emotional day, as it had a weird mix of sadness, helplessness and defiance.

Right now, thinking back and seeing that FTB’s face and hearing that voice, reminded me what a loathsome, empty vessel of a man he was.

I was there as a 5 year old. The one and only time i ever saw my old man in tears.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    There was a smattering of Hearts fans at the away end and they were acknowledged by one of the speakers and applauded.

I don't think as many Hearts fans were against the takeover as sometimes gets claimed. Plenty would have been OK with us disappearing.
    Very few hearts fans there that day despite them rewriting history nowadays. Remember a few Partick fans being there but not mush else. My memories from back then at work etc...jambos were loving it and many wanted us to die. Went on pre-season to Magdeburg just after the takeover failed..quite the celebration 😜.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Still wear the t-shirt occasionally.

The Proclaimers singing Glory Glory....not a dry eye in the stadium.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i remember a decent amount of Partick Thistle fans in the Dunbar end

can't remember much else to be honest

Yes it was a wee joke re the Jambos. yeah Istvan Kozma and Robbo spoke out at the Usher Hall meeting along with Margot McDonald and others.

I’d not long lost my dad - I’d be 19 - I’d started going to matches quite late and it was only at the moment I knew how deeply I felt for the club and I don’t want to over play or downplay human loss - that sense of loss and what it could mean was like a threat to the family.
    I couldn't make the Usher Hall rally. What was his connection?

I was in the East that day with my (one) jambo mate. He was dead against the FTB's plans.

Was there in the old Main Stand and think 9k sounds about right. Can actually remember seeing a few Hearts fans there wearing their colours and showing support for us.

@hibs.net private member
    There was a Jambo in the East terracing that day wearing a hearts scarf. I stood near him and not one person as I remember spoke out of line to him.

GGTTH

I was going to games before I could even walk but the Hands of Hibs rally is the first time I can really remember being at ER. I was there with my mum, dad, grandad and it seemed that just about every family friend and acquaintance we had was there. I recall a decent sized group of Celtic fans stood near us.

It always sticks in my mind because my Grandad is a pretty stoic man, old school and until my granny died that was the only day I can ever recalling seeing him cry and really visually emotional.

The video of Joe Baker kissing the turf still gets me now, I don't remember it from the time but it's the enduring image for me because of how many times I have seen it since.
    Last edited by Pretty Boy; 25-03-2024 at 10:46 AM.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I couldn't make the Usher Hall rally. What was his connection?
    Just came to speak out against show his support.
    Robbo and Goram spoke too.

Just came to speak out against show his support.
    Robbo and Goram spoke too.
    OK cheers, never heard about that.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Very emotional day followed by the legendary Stone Roses gig on Glasgow Green that night, still sporting our HoH t-shirts.

Me and my brother were on the pitch that day, we were ball boys at ER and they got some of us to sit in the dugouts in the middle of the pitch with the Hands Off Hibs t-shirts on. Was absolutely scorching that day.

I remember the HoH buses that went down to the Leith Festival too.