hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Although not an out and out Jambo but due to his 4 seasons at Hearts Alan Maybury, knew him from his time at Hibs as he went to the David Lloyd I used to train at, a top bloke and always got wee snippets of info from him round about transfer time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I don’t understand the question.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    I've only met two socially. Donald Ford and Derek O'Connor. Donald is a proper gent and Derek's stories were superb.Dave Mackay used to drink in the Porty Legion when I worked there but other than "What can I get you?" never had a conversation with him.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t understand the question.
    I don't understand why you wouldn't like someone just because of the football team they play for or support.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    I don't understand why you wouldn't like someone just because of the football team they play for or support.
    If they are rangers fans it saves time

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    Gary Locke .... Only joking , he's a tool in real life as well.
    Thought the same but worked in his house a few times over the last year or so. Hes actually sound.

Quote Originally Posted by leith lynx View Post
    Never met him, but I just don't get the Levein love in, disrespects Hibernian at every opportunity. On the other end of the scale, the late Sandy Jardine was a complete gentleman. Special mention to Roy Barry as well!
    Levein doesn't mind Hibs. He's Hearts to the core so we are rivals but he was/is grateful we provided the opposition for his benefit match after his testimonial had been a bit of a flop.

He's really dry so I think his sarcasm and humour doesn't always come across well but he's genuinely a very pleasant guy who would talk football all day.

Most footballers I have come across aren't as in to the rivalries as they might appear to be publicly or when playing up to their own fans. I think we forgot that whilst we are fans, for them it's a job first and foremost.
    Last edited by Pretty Boy; 23-03-2024 at 04:29 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    A lot of comments about Levein, came across him as a teen quite a few times when he was upstairs at Hearts, not someone I'd describe as pleasant however could be due to his circumstances at the club during that period so don't hold it against him.

Met Kevin Kyle a couple times, decent enough guy from the little I know.

Non Hearts but Bobo Balde was a total gentleman. Met him when I was younger and one of the few players I remember being specifically nice compared to others
    I’ve met Levein a few times as well and know his nephew, a nice family.

@hibs.net private member
    Played football a few times with Kevin Twaddle. Nice guy.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 26-03-2024 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    Hear me out… 😂

No, I refuse to even consider Ian Black being a human being, let alone a decent one.

I used to enjoy your posts but I may have to set you on ignore...

@hibs.net private member
    Nae *unt ever

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    Robbo and Levein.

Someone posted a while ago that Hartley is supposed to be a really nice guy which ruined my life.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Faycal Rherras and Demitri Mitchell.
    I’ve never met Demetri Mitchell, but based on his Twitter I cannae believe he’s not an absolute prick in real life.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I’ve never met Demetri Mitchell, but based on his Twitter I cannae believe he’s not an absolute prick in real life.
    Could not agree more with this. Absolute weapon of a guy

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Never loathed him, but Michael Smith used to be my neighbour and I got on very well with him.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Auckland Hibs View Post
    Robbo and Levein.

Someone posted a while ago that Hartley is supposed to be a really nice guy which ruined my life.
    Hartley and his sidekick thought my mate was trying to take photos of them in Albufeira a few years back when he was actually just farting about with the camera settings. They tried to confront us and looked a bit daft when they realised we had no interest in him whatsoever.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Michael Stewart

I used to teach in a school which was within walking distance of Tynecastle. Back in '98/99 I was doing some work with my P7 class on structures and I had a mate who worked in the Hearts shop. She got us access to the stadium so that we could sit and do some drawing of the new stand. We got a wee tour (which included the v annoying part with the Scottish Cup sitting in their trophy room) and when we went down to the players area so that we could come out of the tunnel and into the ground, the players were finishing up something and were leaving the changing rooms. David Weir saw us and made some disparaging remark before smirking and heading off. Steven Fulton saw us, came back up to where we were and spent quite some time talking to each and every one of my class. He signed their sheets and was an absolute pleasure. He didn't have to do that, he actually came out of his way to talk to my class. Absolute gent.

Craig Gordon was out with his girls in my dog walking park and they came over to pat my dog. He was just a nice bloke out with his kids.

@hibs.net private member
    Didnt loathe him as such but at the time I didnt like anyone who played for hearts, but a few years ago Jim Weir was sat next to me on a flight to Turkey, it was his birthday and his Wife who was sitting opposite seat from him presented him with a birthday cake and he offered me a slab, I politely declined as I didnt want eating to interrupt my drinking 😁

Pasquale Bruno...... absolute gentleman of the park

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    I used to teach in a school which was within walking distance of Tynecastle. Back in '98/99 I was doing some work with my P7 class on structures and I had a mate who worked in the Hearts shop. She got us access to the stadium so that we could sit and do some drawing of the new stand. We got a wee tour (which included the v annoying part with the Scottish Cup sitting in their trophy room) and when we went down to the players area so that we could come out of the tunnel and into the ground, the players were finishing up something and were leaving the changing rooms. David Weir saw us and made some disparaging remark before smirking and heading off. Steven Fulton saw us, came back up to where we were and spent quite some time talking to each and every one of my class. He signed their sheets and was an absolute pleasure. He didn't have to do that, he actually came out of his way to talk to my class. Absolute gent.

Craig Gordon was out with his girls in my dog walking park and they came over to pat my dog. He was just a nice bloke out with his kids.
    Has to be Dalry or Roseburn primary

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    I’ve met Levein a few times as well and know his nephew, a nice family.

Aye he's one I've heard that about a lot, and whilst my very small experience with him wasn't great, I don't read much into it. Wasn't awful, but imagine there's more to the story than I'm aware of. He's well respected and i surprisingly quite like listening to him at the wind up on the radio etc.

I knew James Penrice through friends and played against him at school quite a bit, good lad. He's not a hearts player yet, but still sort of counts.
    Last edited by cameronw-hfc; 23-03-2024 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Levein doesn't mind Hibs. He's Hearts to the core so we are rivals but he was/is grateful we provided the opposition for his benefit match after his testimonial had been a bit of a flop.

He's really dry so I think his sarcasm and humour doesn't always come across well but he's genuinely a very pleasant guy who would talk football all day.

Most footballers I have come across aren't as in to the rivalries as they might appear to be publicly or when playing up to their own fans. I think we forgot that whilst we are fans, for them it's a job first and foremost.
    I think Levein has mellowed since his heart scare. When I met him as a young manager I found him quite abrasive.

As you say, it's easy to get the impression players wearing a Hearts shirt are by association tw*ts, but for the vast majority it's just a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Hartley and his sidekick thought my mate was trying to take photos of them in Albufeira a few years back when he was actually just farting about with the camera settings. They tried to confront us and looked a bit daft when they realised we had no interest in him whatsoever.
    Who was his sidekick? Vladimir Romanov?...🎵

Most people are alight really. Playing for Hearts doesn’t change that. One of them used to volunteer regularly at a homeless charity I worked for 25 years ago. Can’t remember who it was now.

A more enjoyable question is Jambos you assumed would be sound but actually turned out to be loathsome in real life.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    Gary Locke .... Only joking , he's a tool in real life as well.
    Only met him once taking photos and he was a true gent. The only player I thought wasn't a decent guy was McGeady.

It's only a job, and it's only a game. It's the fans and players who don't get that who are the problems.

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Alan Anderson. I met him a couple of times through work and he was very decent. He was happy to chat about football and reminisced fondly about the game back in the day.

Jeezo we’ve just about given the whole lot of them a pass!

Just waiting on someone declaring they used to go for drinks with Wallace Mercer and he was a genuinely decent guy. Surprisingly down to earth, and very funny.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    Jeezo we’ve just about given the whole lot of them a pass!

Just waiting on someone declaring they used to go for drinks with Wallace Mercer and he was a genuinely decent guy. Surprisingly down to earth, and very funny.
    it’s a cunning plan to blow covers out the water :)

So are folks saying it’s the supporters that are the bigger problem?

Anyway - Hearts players I loathed but that was changed in meeting them?
    I haven’t really met any.

I’d link to think I can take people as I find them and loathe/hate is a strong word.

seems there’s a few folks that are recounting meeting with Jambos players but not necessarily ones they loathed? So mibby morphed into summit else?
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 24-03-2024 at 05:24 AM.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.