hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: England shirts

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep, a bit odd, to be a bit more authentic really should have gone for a Saint Baz, or Saint Nige, from Down the Pub.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    We really need to make an example of St George then, and make him the first one that gets ****** off to Rwanda.

Then we can appoint Joey Barton as the new Saint - coz he says it as it is.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    We really need to make an example of St George then, and make him the first one that gets ****** off to Rwanda.

Joey Barton telling it like it is

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

So it’s a fact that St. George was a Turkish bloke with a Palestinian maw who had joined the Roman Army. He was made a Saint because he refused to kill Christians and was tortured then killed for taking that pacifist stance. I’m also against killing folk because of their religious beliefs so back in the 11th Century I had a chance of being St Johnny!

Me, I'm a bit of a traditionalist, so I can understand why folk are annoyed at having their flag messed with.

For the folk laughing at and belittling those who don't approve of it. I wonder if they would be so laid back if a new Hibs owner decided to change the club's colours to red or blue. After all, it's just a colour right? Hardly worth getting worked up about.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Me, I'm a bit of a traditionalist, so I can understand why folk are annoyed at having their flag messed with.

For the folk laughing at and belittling those who don't approve of it. I wonder if they would be so laid back if a new Hibs owner decided to change the club's colours to red or blue. After all, it's just a colour right? Hardly worth getting worked up about.
    Well, we know what happened when someone tried to change them to maroon...

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar

Well we do / have had yellow, purple, black and white strips. Cream coloured training tops, so maybe a red or blue kit would be a nice change!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well we do / have had yellow, purple, black and white strips. Cream coloured training tops, so maybe a red or blue kit would be a nice change!
    I wasn't talking about away tops, 3rd kits or training gear, but I think you know that.

So just to be clear. I was talking about the club's main strip and traditional historic colours IE green and white.

My question was. Would folk laughing at and belittling English folk complaining about their historic flag being messed about with have the same laid back dismissive attitude if an owner changed Hibernian football club's main historic green and white colours to red or blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Absolutely stunning that this has become a national news topic provoking commentary from party leaders - a glaring example of everything wrong with this tribalistic, conservative hellhole. Flag ****ging weirdos man.

We’re experiencing one of the worst cost of living crises in generations, the globe is hotter than any period in human history, and we’re staring down the most significant period of geopolitical tension between nuclear superpowers since the Cold War… but, naw, let’s get all red faced over a meaningless, near imperceptibly small design detail on a football kit. I hate it here.

Also, though it pains me to say it, I think the new England away kit is a belter.
    I never understand this particular take on things. Isn't it possible to do both?

Kind of like my response to another poster on here. If Hibs changed the club's colours from green and white to something else I would go mental, and I'm sure 99% of the rest of the folk who post on here would too. I hardly think that would be at the expense of my ( or their ) concern about world events. Or negatively affect the things I do to put my money where my mouth is when it comes to those things.

I never understand this particular take on things. Isn't it possible to do both?

Kind of like my response to another poster on here. If Hibs changed the club's colours from green and white to something else I would go mental, and I'm sure 99% of the rest of the folk who post on here would too. I hardly think that would be at the expense of my ( or their ) concern about world events. Or negatively affect the things I do to put my money where my mouth is when it comes to those things.
    I'm kinda with you on this one, on the england shirt change thing though, living down here it's not so much the folk who care about the football team that I find are foaming at the mouth about this. It's generally the same folk who foam at the mouth about, the EU, foreigners, the youth of today, anyone who isn't a monarchist etc......

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    I wasn't talking about away tops, 3rd kits or training gear, but I think you know that.

So just to be clear. I was talking about the club's main strip and traditional historic colours IE green and white.

My question was. Would folk laughing at and belittling English folk complaining about their historic flag being messed about with have the same laid back dismissive attitude if an owner changed Hibernian football club's main historic green and white colours to red or blue?
    It was a weak attempt at humour, which obviously failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It was a weak attempt at humour, which obviously failed.
    I wouldn't say that

Sir Matt Busby

The Tories openly stated they would campaign on identity politics, their complaint media helped them to promote their toxic and divisive ideology, and their target market have responded as expected. So an inconsequential design element on clothing becomes major national news. Pretty tragic stuff.

Because changing the core colours of a club is comparable to an imperceptibility small design detail on an otherwise classically designed kit… 🥴

A quick glance at who your allies are in this argument should make you shudder.

The tradition argument is pretty weak. It's totally non-traditional for international teams (or in fact any football teams) to have stupid details on collars or whatever anyway. If it was a plain white top with just their badge, *that* would be traditional.

The saltire on the back of the new Scotland away kit is purple and sky/pastel blue and has stylised graphic lines on it. Has there been any uproar about that? Did anyone even notice it? The kit Brazil were wearing the other night also had a different variant of their flag on the back. The basics of the England kit haven't been changed, the badge hasn't changed, it's still by any reasonable measure recognisably an England kit in a way that a red or blue Hibs strip wouldn't be recognisably a Hibs kit.

I don't think the vast majority of English people are stupid or are taking in by any of this manufactured outrage. It's a few paid shills creating a fuss and preaching to the converted. The sales figures will bear that out, there will be no meaningful boycott (there should be by fans of all teams re the ridiculous pricing but that's another story) and the figures will be comparable to previous kits. It's not the first time Nike or Umbro before them have played about with the flag, often in far more prominent ways; it just never attracted all that much interest before because people didn't make a living stoking division online until fairly recently.
    Last edited by Pretty Boy; 26-03-2024 at 11:12 AM.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Because changing the core colours of a club is comparable to an imperceptibility small design detail on an otherwise classically designed kit… 🥴

A quick glance at who your allies are in this argument should make you shudder.
    Well firstly. As I understand it, it isn't the change to the kit that's causing the problem, it's the change to the flag on it.

As for who is agreeing with me. I've never been the sort of person who looks around the room to see who has their hand up before I decide whether or not raise mine.

I might be in the gammon demographic. IE white, 64 years old and I suppose lower ( very lower ) middle class. But I've voted for Scottish independence since I was 19, from a left of centre perspective. I'm a paid up member of not one, but two, anti monarchy groups. I firmly believe services like gas, leccy and water should be run by not for profit organisations. The list goes on and on ... I'm about as right wing as Che Guevara mate

I do have a passing interest in vexillology though and consequently I'm not a fan of flags ( especially national flags ) being messed about with for no good reason.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 26-03-2024 at 11:24 AM.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar

Big difference between a wee cross and the whole kit colour.

It’s like England randomly saying their home top will be Brown.

The English reactionaries rightly should be mocked.

There’s a Purple Saltire on our new Away shirt. Nobody is crying about it. The pale blue on white McFadden in Paris shirt was all wrong colouring. It’s now a classic.

If they love the flag they can always wear it like a cape while they are lighting fireworks out of their bum holes. (Yes that did happen).

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Big difference between a wee cross and the whole kit colour.

It’s like England randomly saying their home top will be Brown.

The English reactionaries rightly should be mocked.

There’s a Purple Saltire on our new Away shirt. Nobody is crying about it. The pale blue on white McFadden in Paris shirt was all wrong colouring. It’s now a classic.

If they love the flag they can always wear it like a cape while they are lighting fireworks out of their bum holes. (Yes that did happen).

J
    I think we all know what they'd really like to do with the flag

First Team Regular Corstorphine Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumble de Thump View Post
    The Tories openly stated they would campaign on identity politics, their complaint media helped them to promote their toxic and divisive ideology, and their target market have responded as expected. So an inconsequential design element on clothing becomes major national news. Pretty tragic stuff.
    Congratulations on managing to crowbar an anti tory comment onto this thread.🙄

The flag on the England top has been played about with dozens of times over the years. People are now being told to be angry about it and are simply too stupid to realise that path they are being led down. Nobody really cares.

We have had different things added to the back collar for years also. NOBODY CARES.

Quote Originally Posted by Corstorphine Hibby View Post
    It’s fairly relevant given that’s where a lot of people (including on this thread) believe much of the seethe and palaver over this trivial matter has come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The saltire on the back of the new Scotland away kit is purple and sky/pastel blue and has stylised graphic lines on it. Has there been any uproar about that? Did anyone even notice it? The kit Brazil were wearing the other night also had a different variant of their flag on the back. The basics of the England kit haven't been changed, the badge hasn't changed, it's still by any reasonable measure recognisably an England kit in a way that a red or blue Hibs strip wouldn't be recognisably a Hibs kit.

I don't think the vast majority of English people are stupid or are taking in by any of this manufactured outrage. It's a few paid shills creating a fuss and preaching to the converted. The sales figures will bear that out, there will be no meaningful boycott (there should be by fans of all teams re the ridiculous pricing but that's another story) and the figures will be comparable to previous kits. It's not the first time Nike or Umbro before them have played about with the flag, often in far more prominent ways; it just never attracted all that much interest before because people didn't make a living stoking division online until fairly recently.
    None of this stuff would make me 'outraged' mate. Just bloody annoyed at stuff being messed with when IMO it shouldn't be. As for the aforementioned saltire on the Scotland top ... If it's purple then it might be a saltire, but not a Scottish one is it. Nothing annoys me more when it comes to flags than the shade of blue the UK government insist on using in the union flag. If the saltire is to be part of it ( not for much longer hopefully ) then if you know the story behind it the last colour it should be is bloody midnight blue. I don't think having that POV makes me an ultra nationalist ... a pedant maybe

Many flags have a story or tradition behind them that make their colours and design something to be cherished and preserved. EG the Irish tricolour would lose all it's meaning if you changed it's colours to purple and pink wouldn't it.
    The flag of England is red and white. The flag of Scotland is blue and white. If you use the same design, but change the colour, both cease to be the flag of either nation. That's the only thing that bothers me about this subject.

But as you and others have said. If folk are going to be outraged about this or any other football kit, the outrageous pricing should certainly be front and centre ... I would expect mine to be pure mulberry silk sewn together with real gold thread for £120.

The thread wouldn't exist without the behaviour of the Conservative Government, so not sure why anyone would think stating that obvious fact equates to crowbarring. Whether or not that fact is anti- or pro-Tory would be subjective.

First Team Regular Corstorphine Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    It’s fairly relevant given that’s where a lot of people (including on this thread) believe much of the seethe and palaver over this trivial matter has come from.
    Yeah, I noticed that when I read Sir Keir fanning the flames in The Sun article.

Yeah, I noticed that when I read Sir Keir fanning the flames in The Sun article.
    I think you’ve just managed to get a dig at Keir Starmer into the thread now.

FWIW I’m not a fan of either him or the sun. But the post you quoted was perfectly relevant.