hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Already signed more players than we did the summer we finished 3rd.

Good business from them, which can be done because they secured 3rd weeks ago, while we're scraping for top 6. Embarrassing.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Solid signings but I don't think any of these players improve Hearts best XI.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Good business from them, which can be done because they secured 3rd weeks ago, while we're scraping for top 6. Embarrassing.
    It can be done because they want to sign these players and they're within budget. That would be the case whether Hearts were 3rd or 7th. Aberdeen could still win the cup and take the guaranteed European group football.

It's no reflection on Hibs. I think people also need to separate what happened 4 years ago, from what's happened in the 2 windows under McDermott.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

We need to stop trying to be clever and looking for players from lower leagues abroad who have a bit of hype - we’ve missed out on so many slam dunk signings who would improve our squad and instead signed the lines of Melkersen, Mueller, Hauge, Bojang, Jair, Delferriere, Cabraja, Vente etc who were/are all absolutely miles off it ability wise in this league.

Build a squad off of reliable, known quantities in this league and have a base that will compete, then add your wildcards and project players, not the other way around.

I think all three have potential to be good signings for them. All of them have good Premiership experience , all of them 'free' and probably better players than guys who may be on the way out the door in their areas of the park currently. I hate to say it but I think it's fairly smart business.

Would I have wanted them all here? Hard to say a resounding yes but we're clearly not going to keep Emiliano so Spittal may have bridged the gap in some way without being on the same level as him. Penrice would have been half decent to replace Lewy and rotate with Obita but you can't guarantee him minutes at that point when you've just signed Obita to a new deal.

Dhanda I'd have probably taken to replace the likes of Jair and utilised him on either wing or in behind depending on what was needed.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    My mum always said, if you sign Motherwell, Ross County and Livingston players, you’ll get a Motherwell, Ross County and Livingstone type team.

remember Jim Duffy , I agree 👍

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Hearts are ***** and their fans are jobbies.

Pass it on

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    It can be done because they want to sign these players and they're within budget. That would be the case whether Hearts were 3rd or 7th. Aberdeen could still win the cup and take the guaranteed European group football.

It's no reflection on Hibs. I think people also need to separate what happened 4 years ago, from what's happened in the 2 windows under McDermott.
    Planning for next season is significantly impacted by where you finish the season before.

Aberdeen will not win anything, Hearts will be in the groups. We all know it, and so do these guys who are joining them.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    We've got a player on loan earning over £30k a week. Expect to see similar next season and from now on.

Hearts can't get close to having a player earning money like that.
    I really really wouldn't bet on that. Marcondes is a bit of a unique situation that I don't think sets the tone for the future of the link up.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Planning for next season is significantly impacted by where you finish the season before.

Aberdeen will not win anything, Hearts will be in the groups. We all know it, and so do these guys who are joining them.
    Neither will Hearts. Unluckily for them, they drew the Huns in the semi and they are the best team in the country at the moment.

It will be another Hampden hosing for Hearts who will then move into their 13th season of winning absolutely nothing - thats embarrassing for a club which likes to call itself "big".

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Hearts are ***** and their fans are jobbies.

Pass it on

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Neither will Hearts. Unluckily for them, they drew the Huns in the semi and they are the best team in the country at the moment.

It will be another Hampden hosing for Hearts who will then move into their 13th season of winning absolutely nothing - thats embarrassing for a club which likes to call itself "big".
    3rd and group stage football is a fantastic prize. Id love it to be us.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    We've got a player on loan earning over £30k a week. Expect to see similar next season and from now on.

One of the "other benefits" I mentioned.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar

That in itself doesn’t mean anything though. If we get players on that salary and they play well enough for us to reflect that, then great - but that’s far from a guarantee.

Marcondes is clearly a very talented player, but he’s not been a complete standout. Same goes for Silva at Rangers, a £35M player on paper, not ripping the league up by any stretch. And they’ve been there before with Aaron Ramsay, Diallo from Man Utd. I could go on.

Football doesn’t always follow logic, but there’s plenty of it in signing guys who are delivering the goods/excelling in struggling sides. Probably a safer bet than taking players on loan who are only here because they can’t justify their wage elsewhere, and may struggle to adapt to the game here.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Personally I don’t see the point of this thread. I don’t really care who Hearts sign. Are we going to have threads for Celtic and Rangers also?
    Also, if they are signing pre-contracts with Hearts they mustn’t be very ambitious and obviously don’t believe bigger clubs are looking at them. If they are good, or believe they are good it’s not a big step up moving from their current clubs to Hearts, who could well be scrabbling around mid table next season. Seems a lack of ambition on the part of the players concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Personally I don’t see the point of this thread. I don’t really care who Hearts sign. Are we going to have threads for Celtic and Rangers also?
    Also, if they are signing pre-contracts with Hearts they mustn’t be very ambitious and obviously don’t believe bigger clubs are looking at them. If they are good, or believe they are good it’s not a big step up moving from their current clubs to Hearts, who could well be scrabbling around mid table next season. Seems a lack of ambition on the part of the players concerned.
    You do realise your input and thoughts on the hearts signings took up a lot more of your post than claiming you don’t care and what’s the point in sharing thoughts on hearts signings?

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    What a strange way of looking at things. Firstly, Hearts are not only our local rivals, but are also well clear in third place. If we want to finish third next season, we'll have to outperform them, so of course there's interest in who they sign.

Secondly, those players have lives to plan - they have mortgages to pay, possibly children to factor in as well. They've signed contracts that guarantee them a salary - possibly two or three times what they currently earn - for the next few years. They can now make plans, go on holiday this summer, and many other things that go along with financial stability.

Dhanda will get to move to the central belt. Spittal and Penrice won't have to uproot their lives, or move their kids from school if they have them. And they're all playing for a much bigger club, who'll be in Europe until Xmas next season.

Easy for fans to play fast and loose with other people's careers, but they alternative to that is going into the summer unemployed, where illness and injury could see you stay that way for a long time. No certainty at all, and possibly facing a move to somewhere you would rather not go, if nothing else emerges.

Do you think that anyone we sign on a pre-contract will be showing no ambition?

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    We need to stop trying to be clever and looking for players from lower leagues abroad who have a bit of hype - we’ve missed out on so many slam dunk signings who would improve our squad and instead signed the lines of Melkersen, Mueller, Hauge, Bojang, Jair, Delferriere, Cabraja, Vente etc who were/are all absolutely miles off it ability wise in this league.

Build a squad off of reliable, known quantities in this league and have a base that will compete, then add your wildcards and project players, not the other way around.
    I wouldn't put Vente into that group at all personally, Cabraja looked good when we first signed him though unfortunately circumstances probably played a part in him not settling in .

You also have the other category of players like Benji , sproule , etc we have made that have turned out to be very good.

Most of the players you mentioned haven't been good enough signings though over the last couple of transfer windows our signings have been very good and we seem to have got our act together on that side of things.

I'm optimistic we will sign some good players in the summer wither they lack Scottish football experience like Marcondes, Welsh etc doesn't matter imo .

Come on now, I know you’re not a Vente man, NH but even you don’t believe that all those players on that list were/are ‘absolutely miles off’ ability wise.

I’m not sure who all these slam dunk signings are, but we’ve tried and failed with players in our league over the last few years too. It’s just not been great overall!

Until now 😁

Going from **** bottom 6 clubs to european groups? That is a huge step up

Well currently we are the mid table side, and for a few seasons now we've expected better and its not happened, to go above Hearts and finish 3rd next season we are going to have to be consistent and not just a half season performance, its going to be interesting what we do in the summer, is it more loans or permanent signings and are they going to be able to get up to speed with the league quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    What a strange way of looking at things. Firstly, Hearts are not only our local rivals, but are also well clear in third place. If we want to finish third next season, we'll have to outperform them, so of course there's interest in who they sign.

Secondly, those players have lives to plan - they have mortgages to pay, possibly children to factor in as well. They've signed contracts that guarantee them a salary - possibly two or three times what they currently earn - for the next few years. They can now make plans, go on holiday this summer, and many other things that go along with financial stability.

Dhanda will get to move to the central belt. Spittal and Penrice won't have to uproot their lives, or move their kids from school if they have them. And they're all playing for a much bigger club, who'll be in Europe until Xmas next season.

Easy for fans to play fast and loose with other people's careers, but they alternative to that is going into the summer unemployed, where illness and injury could see you stay that way for a long time. No certainty at all, and possibly facing a move to somewhere you would rather not go, if nothing else emerges.

Do you think that anyone we sign on a pre-contract will be showing no ambition?
    All valid points but still don’t care. I think that signing for Hearts is akin to getting socks and underwear as presents, practical but still…meh! Hearts are enjoying a good season, but their current business model is such that next season they could be fighting relegation. I understand why the players may want to sign for Hearts, but still think they lack ambition.
    As for us signing players of that calibre, I would hope that if we did they would just be for cover, not starters.

@hibs.net private member
    Going from **** bottom 6 clubs to european groups? That is a huge step up
    They have to prove they are capable of making that step up, time will tell

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike

Incredibly harsh putting Vente in this list of players, before the recent injury he was really coming onto a game.

Was excellent at Tynie and really unlucky not to get 2 goals with his shots that were cleared off the line.

Has had a stop-start season in terms of form and injuries but I definitely think we'll see a lot more from him next season once he's fully settled.

All valid points but still don’t care. I think that signing for Hearts is akin to getting socks and underwear as presents, practical but still…meh! Hearts are enjoying a good season, but their current business model is such that next season they could be fighting relegation. I understand why the players may want to sign for Hearts, but still think they lack ambition.
    As for us signing players of
    calibre, I would hope that if we did they would just be for cover, not starters.
    Shankland signed for Hearts and is likely to go with Scotland to Germany and possibly be a target for Rangers. Did he show a lack of ambition by signing for them?

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    You do realise your input and thoughts on the hearts signings took up a lot more of your post than claiming you don’t care and what’s the point in sharing thoughts on hearts signings?
    What’s the point of anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s the point of anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good point!

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

So I guess you mean players like:

Jamie Murphy
    James Scott
    Drey Wright
    Alex Gogic
    Stevie Mallan
    Stephen McGinn
    Dan Mackay
    Jason Naismith
    Mikey Devlin
    Danny Swanson

All "known quantity" SPL players, good solid scottish guys with experience

I sometimes wonder if this club has a fascination with being the smartest in the room at times. I find it mental that some people think we're above signing a Blair Spittal for example. If we had the mindset that we wanted better than what was playing in Scotland all the time then we wouldn't have ended up with guys like Yogi Hughes, John O'Neill, Gary Smith, John McGinn.

Coaching Staff

I hope we never stop trying to be clever.