hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SJM was a bottom six player. To me having a good few experienced course and distance players is a pretty sensible option. Decent start to their summer signings and I hope we have a sprinkling on known quantities among players who may be more of a risk, regardless of their pedigree
    McGinn is often used as this example and it’s not really a fair comparison as he’s the extreme exception to the rule and was signed young. We signed him aged 20 and he was playing in the English Premiership by around 24 / 25 years of age and is one of Scotlands best players for a generation. Comparable to Andy Robertson who was also gone by his early 20s. Basically if your going to get a superstar from bottom 6 clubs it’s going to be when they are teens or very early 20s.

These 3 are not the next John McGinn. They are all aged 25+ and by that age you tend to know what you’re getting from a player. If they were in the John McGinn category they wouldn’t be signing for Hearts at their age.

I can think of very few players in recent years who have went from bottom 6 or lower the to old firm, Hibs hearts or Aberdeen at 25+ and been a great success. I can however think of a very long list who have signed for Hibs alone and turned out to be terrible.

In short I wouldn’t Hibs to sign either of these 3 therefore not fussed that hearts have. It weakens 3 of our opponents without really strengthening hearts imo.
    Last edited by Paul1642; 21-03-2024 at 09:26 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    McGinn is often used as this example and it’s not really a fair comparison as he’s the extreme exception to the rule and was signed young. We signed him aged 20 and he was playing in the English Premiership by around 24 / 25 years of age and is one of Scotlands best players for a generation. Comparable to Andy Robertson who was also gone by his early 20s. Basically if your going to get a superstar from bottom 6 clubs it’s going to be when they are teens or very early 20s.

These 3 are not the next John McGinn. They are all aged 25+ and by that age you tend to know what you’re getting from a player. If they were in the John McGinn category they wouldn’t be signing for Hearts at their age.

I can think of very few players in recent years who have went from bottom 6 or lower the to old firm, Hibs hearts or Aberdeen at 25+ and been a great success. I can however think of a very long list who have signed for Hibs alone and turned out to be terrible.

In short I wouldn’t Hibs to sign either of these 3 therefore not fussed that hearts have. It weakens 3 of our opponents without really strengthening hearts imo.
    Shankland was a free transfer at 24 I think and a bottom 6 player that is the main reason they are in 3rd. It does happen but I agree it is unusual. As others have said our examples like Paul McGinn and Gogic would be better comparisons and both I would argue were good signings. Gogic having a great season in a team above us at the moment. Nothing is certain when players change clubs but I would taken a few of those signings as bench players over the likes of Jair, Harbottle or McKirdy and I bet they are a good deal cheaper. One off them could just fit in and be a starter and all should be decent additions with little risk. I'm not suggesting we fill our first 11 with bottom six players. I'm saying they are sensible low risk options. Hearts will unfortunately have a long period in Europe most likely. If we get in that position we need players like that to give depth for 3 games a week

Blog Entries
    Spittal? ……. nice wee village outside Berwick Upon Tweed.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    So wait, Hearts have signed 3 bottom 6 players?...

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    But sometimes you have to point out the malignant, stinking elephant in the room, as my boss would say.
    Another insult to elephants.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

3 pretty solid good signings tbh. That's not to say I don't expect us to sign better. Hearts will have group stage Europe though and you need a squad depth to cope. Good signings to fill out their squad, I expect they'll sign better later on too and they'll need to, Shankland and Cochrane 2 of their better players

Very sensible signings for a club who have an eternity of fixtures to play next season and all will play their part as Hearts try to consolidate both a European run and finishing 3rd.

As always the point is utterly missed by Hibs fans that these aren't first team picks, instead they fill gaps and provide cover compared to our team who have glaring inadequacies once you get passed the top 11 picks.

The good news is Hibs should now have the budget and the will to do something similar albeit from a standing start.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Poundland players

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think they're excellent signings tbh, exactly the sort of players we turn our noses up at to our own detriment.

Have a manager in place, do your recruitment early and get signings in for the start of pre-season training, having a core of players who know the league that you can then add to with some more exotic sprinklings later.

It's pretty much the polar opposite to what we do, or what I expect us to do during our "big rebuild" this summer.

I expect that we'll still manage to pick up players of the class of Marcondes and Maolida on loan in January going forward to make seasons respectable but it's the sorts of players we're going to build the core of our squad with that I'm concerned about, the kind of summer business that has been abysmal going back the best part of a decade now.
    Again, all about opinions obviously, I don't think they're excellent signings at all. Spital's improved this season, but he wasn't anything special before that in any case IMO, not bothered about the other 2, I think Dhanda's scored against us a couple of times coming on near the end, maybe that's why they signed him!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    And in north east Fife.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    No need for that.

As in, everybody knows this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Bowling green by the water used to send folk to Ayr 👍

I think the proof of the pudding is when we compare our summer signings, Right now that aint happening

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Shankland was a free transfer at 24 I think and a bottom 6 player that is the main reason they are in 3rd. It does happen but I agree it is unusual. As others have said our examples like Paul McGinn and Gogic would be better comparisons and both I would argue were good signings. Gogic having a great season in a team above us at the moment. Nothing is certain when players change clubs but I would taken a few of those signings as bench players over the likes of Jair, Harbottle or McKirdy and I bet they are a good deal cheaper. One off them could just fit in and be a starter and all should be decent additions with little risk. I'm not suggesting we fill our first 11 with bottom six players. I'm saying they are sensible low risk options. Hearts will unfortunately have a long period in Europe most likely. If we get in that position we need players like that to give depth for 3 games a week
    Shankland was signed from the Belgian top flight for about £500k and was about to turn 27.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/blair-spittal-latest-hearts-transfer-32412276

Dhanda, Penrice and Spital all signing for hearts.

All good signings for the league
    Are any of them going to score the 50% of their league goals that Shankland has? Nope. All good.

They'll have about 30 games to play in in the first 5 months of the season, so they'll need a strong squad, and that's 3 good, relatively cheap signings. Not prima donnas, they won't be in the cream puff if they're not in the starting XI week in, week out.

I think they're excellent signings tbh, exactly the sort of players we turn our noses up at to our own detriment.

Have a manager in place, do your recruitment early and get signings in for the start of pre-season training, having a core of players who know the league that you can then add to with some more exotic sprinklings later.

It's pretty much the polar opposite to what we do, or what I expect us to do during our "big rebuild" this summer.

I expect that we'll still manage to pick up players of the class of Marcondes and Maolida on loan in January going forward to make seasons respectable but it's the sorts of players we're going to build the core of our squad with that I'm concerned about, the kind of summer business that has been abysmal going back the best part of a decade now.
    I wish we'd stop signing players on loan - how can you build a team on loan players? This summer we'll lose these players and have to start putting a new team together - and then slate the manager if he doesn't get results immediately. I just don't think the club is run very well at the moment - I don't see enoughy long term planning.

Coaching Staff
    I don’t think we’ll wait until the end of the season to ‘put a team together’.

Presumably we are moving now…..if we wait until the end of the season then the number of possible proffered targets will be substantially reduced.

I think Obita’s new contract is an indication that things are already under way…it’s just we haven’t heard anything yet….but no doubt rumours will surface soon enough.

As for loan players, these days unfortunately unless you have the budget of the ugly sisters, they are necessary evil for everybody else.

Penrice is a handy LB, and a boy with his head screwed on. He’d have been good cover but he’s never going to be first choice over Obita. Would’ve been happy to have him as a steady understudy but I’m not devastated he’s went to Hearts. The other two I wouldn’t have chosen tbh, I’d rather have Loturi from County and Bair from Motherwell as another option up top if we wanted to go more direct. All decent enough signings but not going to improve them much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    We don’t get players like marcondes and maolida if we don’t use loan deals, players will be targeted for the summer there’s far too much to do for there not to be plans in place, if we had announced these guys as pre contracts we would all be saying there not good enough for what we need or where we want to be the difference here is it’s accepted they won’t be starters over there still not good enough however and they’ll make a few performances each and be away somewhere else when the contract runs out

Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    So wait, Hearts have signed 3 bottom 6 players?...

Bottom 6 players ha ha - who next... Bojan Miovski.. ah! 😬

By the end of the season bottom 6 players might well include Boyle, Newell.. etc.

But anyway, hope all 3 turn out to be the next comings of Rowan Vine

If that's the standard of signings they're going to be making happy days. If we are bringing in guys like Maolida and Marcondes already then I can't wait to see who we bring through the door in the summer.

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McGruber View Post

By the end of the season bottom 6 players might well include Boyle, Newell.. etc.

Good points.

Spot on. Fairly obvious signings to make to enhance / strengthen a squad. All 3 would’ve added something for us, to varying degrees.

Hopefully the clubs surprises some of us with the recruitment this summer.

But I absolutely share the concern around the lack of a coherent strategy / long term planning.

Decent SPFL players who'll be decent squad fillers, I'd hope we're after better.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar

I would agree generally with the points you make but I would not describe these signings as excellent.

We have a decent SPFL level team as it is. If we can get better players in the team that displace our current starters to the bench, then ideal.

We have a massive job on our hands this summer.

People complaining we’ve not signed Blair Spittal ?

The boys the definition of average. As for Dhanda, he’d never be a starter for us.

Penrice would’ve been a good addition if Lewis retires or moves on in the summer though.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    If that's the standard of signings they're going to be making happy days. If we are bringing in guys like Maolida and Marcondes already then I can't wait to see who we bring through the door in the summer.
    Really looking forward to the summer window as well.

But the three players hearts have signed are good squad players and add depth for the European/league grind. Good signings in that respect and not a single fee paid.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I would hope we're after a completely different level of player now.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McGruber View Post

You cannot deny they have signed bottom 6 players.